The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Edmonton Oilers Vs Carolina Hurricanes - Friday, February 15, 2019 - 7:30 PM EDT

Favorite part of the team since Jan 1 is it's hard to pick all three stars for the wins. I mean usually 1 stands like Mac did tonight but 2 and 3 literally could have went to 4 or 5 guys

5 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I'll be tickled if we get at least one point tomorrow. That's going to be a tough game. If we get two. Man oh man these guys are hot.

617809C8-1AFA-4ABC-BAD5-10DCC4D4967D.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

How lucky are we to have John Forslund? Living in New York, there is a lot of hockey up here but there is no one as good as John. 

When I hear fans of other teams comment about the Canes having the best announcers and commentary, we are truly blessed. John, Tripp, Maniscalco and the others behind the scenes do a great job to bring us fans the full experience - especially those of us who are out of the Canes viewing area.

• Like 2

Remember all those Februarys when we'd win 2 or 3 and jump a team or two 3 or 4 teams deep of the cut line and feel that slightest glimmer of shameless hope. That's all it was. Shameless hope. LOL. It takes so much of a run to really open any eyes when your calendar year starts back there. No matter what happens, this team has shown me what it's made of, by at times, and none of it all the time, cohesive offensive play, stout tight checking defense, sparkllng goaltending,etc. But the difference is it's TEAM hockey, something missing for a long, long time. Winning when you don't play well, stealing a point when it looked dim late, even some nights outshooting good teams by double and scraping out tight games as well as losing some. It's a depth of contribution on all fronts and all elements of the game. Say what ya want about RB getting a chance to lead this basically young team, but we've all watched other pretty good hockey coaches get basically nothing out of what they had to work with here, but we're seeing every ounce of talent put to good use here. It still may not work out this season, but for these 6 or 7 weeks, RB has helped this group learn how to win, how to be a TEAM, and how that team's effort is what it takes to play and swagger at a top of the league level. Sorry for rambling, but I'm enjoying my February....hahahaha

• Like 5

Great game by Mac. A game where we needed a goalie to steal a game and Mac did it.

Tomorrow is another must win! Just win in regulation! NO SHOOT OUT!

• Like 1

Im not used to this. Winning for 7 straight weeks with a great goaltending tandem and a 2 top lines scoring while the D holds it down and the 3rd and 4th line contribute.  Weird man, very weird.  

Unfortunately being 8 games over .500 is usually a shoe in for playoffs but we are still

one point out due to a tough division and conference.  Just our luck.  At least we have an equal chance right now, batteling 3-4 teams for that spot. 

1 minute ago, hopper915 said:

Side note. Edmonton just traded Cam Talbot to the Flyers for Anthony Stolarz

You knew that was coming...gives the Oilers space to bring Sekera back.

• Like 2

I love that Neid got up from being boarded and boarded someone else. Eye for an eye, no way past Canes do that. I'll take that penalty all day because it makes the next idiot think twice from injuring an important player. Imagine if someone threw retalitory elbows for Skinner? Probably stops happening. 

• Like 4

hurricanes are playing real good now ,the team looks great. I would be very surprise if they don't make the play-offs they have that hunger in them they can taste the play-off 

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Imagine if someone threw retalitory elbows for Skinner? Probably stops happening. 

We talking Hurricanes era Skins?  If so, he would’ve been concussed and no one would’ve defended him outside of Tim Gleason

I’m glad we managed a win even though we didn’t play our best. Good teams find a way. 👍😀 Since I don’t get our feed here in VA I was watching and enjoying seeing the Slugs lose on NHL network. I got to see highlights of how we were doing. 

• Like 1

So after the game Brind'Amour said that was the first game all year where the guys pretty much never got to their game even once and for the entire game. I know I posted the stats about first game back from a road trip being bogus, but it is very hard to believe after watching that game. I'm still thinking there is something to it. If so, then they'll be much better tonight. 

Call it destiny or whatever, but this is the kind of game that just did not get won in past years. For one thing, the odds of a prior Canes goalie stopping 40 of 41 shots is pretty long. The old .976 save percentage. But the Oilers were playing like a team sick of losing and most of the game was in our end. And our vaunted offense hit those two early goals and then went silent for almost an entire game. I don't mean didn't score. I mean didn't mount much of anything. Aho was flying, and Nino was present and accounted for, and TT made some plays, but mainly the rest of the group, bleh. Williams seemed off, to pick on one guy. Faulk regressed too. 

I blamed Williams for the blind pass that led to the 2 on 1, and he did, but in his defense (or no defense) Faulk had driven the net leaving his D position empty. Williams, on attempting the lame pass probably at least thought he had D back there. 

OK, sort of rambling here. The point is that this game really should have been a loss but was instead a regulation 2 goal win. This team has come off millions of shots every night, but if we're being outshot 2:1 and have only around 14 shots in two periods, that does suggest we're not on our game. 

As much as I want to see signs that we are rolling our game, I still think this was a trap game and we did get trapped. But we won anyways.