Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Stars @ Canes...16 Feb 19

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe. But he's having a heluva good time now.

 

I think it was more about not getting the management support. I'll keep saying it: Mrazek got the Flyers in last season. He might have done the same for us. But because Ronnie sat on his hands, we'll never know.

 

I remember you stating that at the time.  I disagreed then (and now), but it's a subjective call so I'll summarize Mrazek's stats with the Flyers and let others make their own judgement:

  • won his first 3 for Philly giving up 1, 3, and 0 goals respectively.  Lost his next 4 giving up 4, 6, 4, and 4
  • overall stats for Philly:  6-6-3     3.22 GAA     .891 sv%   

The only reason I bring this up is that I think an accurate assessment of past play is important to take into account given what could be a difficult decision on Mrazek going forward.  Of course, lots of things will factor into that: how he finishes out the season, who else is available, etc.

 

Two other things:

  • while I disagree about Mrazek's contribution to Philly last year, at least they tried something. Your point about RF sitting on his hands is a very good one.
  • I've become a fan of Mrazeks.  I hope he finishes out the season like he's played recently and makes the committees decision to bring him back an easy one.  If the season were to end today, for me Mrazek would be a good example of the tug between being a fan of a player and the mercenary nature that's sometimes needed to optimize a franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, legend-1 said:

His call really stinks too, I'm fairly sure Forslund's moving onto bigger things and I don't want this monotone bore taking over.

It does seem like Forslund may be gone soon, we will see, that would stink for sure.   Is Shaya the guy from the Checkers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

It does seem like Forslund may be gone soon, we will see, that would stink for sure.   Is Shaya the guy from the Checkers?

Is he sick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sleekfeeder said:

Is he sick?

Shaya was sick a few days ago if that's who you mean, but Forslund keeps getting national gigs if that's what you meant.

 

Even though Shaya was sick, on the simulcast it was like his mic was way too low compared to Tripp, he sounded fine on TV. Which is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

 

I remember you stating that at the time.  I disagreed then (and now), but it's a subjective call so I'll summarize Mrazek's stats with the Flyers and let others make their own judgement:

  • won his first 3 for Philly giving up 1, 3, and 0 goals respectively.  Lost his next 4 giving up 4, 6, 4, and 4
  • overall stats for Philly:  6-6-3     3.22 GAA     .891 sv%   

The only reason I bring this up is that I think an accurate assessment of past play is important to take into account given what could be a difficult decision on Mrazek going forward.  Of course, lots of things will factor into that: how he finishes out the season, who else is available, etc.

 

Two other things:

  • while I disagree about Mrazek's contribution to Philly last year, at least they tried something. Your point about RF sitting on his hands is a very good one.
  • I've become a fan of Mrazeks.  I hope he finishes out the season like he's played recently and makes the committees decision to bring him back an easy one.  If the season were to end today, for me Mrazek would be a good example of the tug between being a fan of a player and the mercenary nature that's sometimes needed to optimize a franchise. 

Who's going to really be available to the Canes that is better? I dont know what's inside Bob's head, would he come here? If not I dont know that there would be a better option

Edited by Derailed75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, remkin said:

Have to say the committee could have kept thinking he'd turn around. OK, they tried him one more time, and frankly had they not, we might be in with no beans in play right now. But they did pull that plug early and pulled it hard. Given his salary, that was not probably quite as easy as it seems. That was a key move. 

I see scott darling ask for a leave for personal reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine our broadcasts without John Forsland. I figured once he started doing other NHL broadcasts that he would eventually get a full time gig with them. Guess we just enjoy him why we have him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Who's going to really be available to the Canes that is better? I dont know what's inside Bob's head, would he come here? If not I dont know that there would be a better option

 

There may not be anyone.  And as I said, I've become a fan of Mrazek, so if we end up with the same tandem in net next year I won't be overly concerned.  The overriding question for me would be what kind of term would you be willing to give Mrazek given his history of inconsistent play?  I wouldn't trust him as our long term goaltender of the future just yet, and with a very optimistic long term outlook throughout the rest of the lineup, that's a piece that I'd love to see us acquire at some point within the next couple of years.  Now, how to do that . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

I said that to Mrs. Storm once and she said, “By that logic then, why do you even bother watching or rooting at all?”

 

Damn that woman... 😂

 

Because it's entertainment?  Because if something special happens, you would like to be there to see it?  Because you want them to win, but don't actually think you can will the puck into the net with your mind from the fifteenth row?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

 

I remember you stating that at the time.  I disagreed then (and now), but it's a subjective call so I'll summarize Mrazek's stats with the Flyers and let others make their own judgement:

  • won his first 3 for Philly giving up 1, 3, and 0 goals respectively.  Lost his next 4 giving up 4, 6, 4, and 4
  • overall stats for Philly:  6-6-3     3.22 GAA     .891 sv%   

The only reason I bring this up is that I think an accurate assessment of past play is important to take into account given what could be a difficult decision on Mrazek going forward. 

When I say Mrazek got the Flyers in last year, I mean it literally. I won't go back and look it up (be my guest if you're so inclined) but my memory is that those three consecutive wins you cited are what got the Flyers above the cut line, and that after that, momentum kept them in it--while we, riding Cam and Darling, dropped further out. 

 

I also said at the time that while he may not have been our long-term solution, we'd at least have been trying something (as you note), and rewarding our guys for staying in the discussion, despite abysmal net-minding--by trying to fix it.

 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...