AWACSooner

GDT: the Stars align for a Bunch of Jerks in Texas

CAROLINA HURRICANES vs DALLAS STARS

23 February, 2019. 4 pm CST 

American Airlines Center 

vs

vs 

Rod Brind’Amour vs Mike Modano?

This was Modano’s ONLY fight his entire career...to paraphrase him several years later after he was asked about this fight: “After fighting Rod, I knew that fighting was not my thing.”

The Stars just manhandled the Blues last night to end St Louis’s 12 game winning streak...while we had to pull out a fire and brimstone third period to beat the lowly SwampCats in Sunrise.

On my way from OKC to Big D this evening...hockey gods, please give me my first Canes win in 4 attempts down there.

It’s also game two of the dads/mentors trip...so do not cross them!

FB63CEF8-3FD4-4FC6-92D2-2AE48ABF0FBB.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Probably means Kegger sits 

I'm not so sure about that.

So the guys toured Jerry’s FunWorld in Arlington today...really?  You come all the way out here and tour that gaudy monstrosity?  At least go to Six Flags or something with the dads 

28 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

We’re going to make Dallas see stars ... and not in a good way

God I hope so, cause last year, this team never even got off the bus til the 3rd period 

An important game. If indeed the stars align as AWAC's starter title implies we have a chance to leap over the Pens and CBJ, pull within a point of the Habs and 3 pts of the Caps.   With one eye on the game today and another on the scoreboard Caps at Slugs, Sharks at CBJ, Habs at Leafs and Pens at Flyers. That's a lot of puck luck but if the stars align. If they don't I will settle for leaping the Pens or CBJ.

Whatever happens the first order of business is beating the Stars. 

One game at a time, one point (2) at a time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

God I hope so, cause last year, this team never even got off the bus til the 3rd period 

There’s teams that historically have had our number. This has been one in recent times and I hope we club them. I really enjoy our play against the Western Conference teams though. You’ll be at this game right?

5 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

There’s teams that historically have had our number. This has been one in recent times and I hope we club them. I really enjoy our play against the Western Conference teams though. You’ll be at this game right?

Made the drive down from OKC last night 

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Made the drive down from OKC last night 

Excellent, fellow road warrior. Bring us a “W”.  Make sure you booze 🥃  it up before the game and be obnoxious and over-the-top 🙌🏽🙌🏽

12 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Excellent, fellow road warrior. Bring us a “W”.  Make sure you booze 🥃  it up before the game and be obnoxious and over-the-top 🙌🏽🙌🏽

Gotta drive afterwards, so no

• Like 1

I seem to recall recent games in Dallas had us falling way behind early only to have valiant efforts to claw back fall short. Let’s get an early jump and pour it on.

Staal officially off IR. Anyone worried about him coming in and ruining the mojo this team has? I really hope Rod keeps him as a 3rd line guy who will fit in important face offs when needed as well as special teams. I dont think he should be playing 1st line minutes. 

5 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

Staal officially off IR. Anyone worried about him coming in and ruining the mojo this team has?

Yes.

Although i wont be able to watch today. It’ll be interesting to see how Brindy uses Staal. He is a shutdown guy but Aho has excelled in the role. Shutting down and scoring.  

7 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

Staal officially off IR. Anyone worried about him coming in and ruining the mojo this team has? I really hope Rod keeps him as a 3rd line guy who will fit in important face offs when needed as well as special teams. I dont think he should be playing 1st line minutes. 

As much as human nature would dictate us to feel so, we can’t be worried about having one of historically better guys ruin the mix of what we have upon a return. If he does, his role on the team will be re-evaluated. I don’t think this team is that fragile in that Jordan’s return upsets the flow. This will indeed be a litmus test of his overall value though.

Edited by surfzone365

23 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I seem to recall recent games in Dallas had us falling way behind early only to have valiant efforts to claw back fall short. Let’s get an early jump and pour it on.

That’s been my experience the last three times I’ve been to this game at the AAC

53 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

I only worry about RB's 'he's our best player' 'he's our best player' 'he's our best player' and therefore giving him 95 minutes of ice time where he wins faceoff after faceoff but can't keep up with his speedy wingers so everyone's effectiveness is stymied, when IMO he'd be better-served putting him on the 3rd- or 4th-line and the PK and let him take key faceoffs before rushing off the ice otherwise.

One thing's for sure, though - if Staal is anything less than stellar and the team loses, there are going to be a lot of Canes fans pointing at him.

• Like 1

Big game this afternoon! JUST WIN!!!

Probably won't get any help from the Pens/Flyers game as rookie phenom Carter Hart is out for the next 10 days with a lower body injury and Cam Talbot gets the start. With Talbot getting the start, the Flyers set a NHL record for most goalies to be used (8).

Didn't get any help last night as the Sens are mailing it in for the rest of the season, but hopefully the Sharks will rip the Jackets a new one today.

Hoping for help from the Leafs to take down the Habs.

Not sure how I feel about the Slugs/Craps game. While I'd like for the Craps to lose, I really don't want the Slugs to get any points either.

5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

One thing's for sure, though - if Staal is anything less than stellar and the team loses, there are going to be a lot of Canes fans pointing at him.

Not too sure about that. This will be Staal's 1st game back after missing about 2 months. While conditioning can help him get up to speed, he hasn't been in a game situation for a while so I expect him to be rusty and for him it'll be like opening night for him without playing in the pre-season. Put him on the 4th line and maybe put him out there for key offensive face-offs. No PP time, maybe some PK time. Ease him in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This...for all the uninformed social media fans 

Edited by AWACSooner

14 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I only worry about RB's 'he's our best player' 'he's our best player' 'he's our best player' and therefore giving him 95 minutes of ice time where he wins faceoff after faceoff but can't keep up with his speedy wingers so everyone's effectiveness is stymied, when IMO he'd be better-served putting him on the 3rd- or 4th-line and the PK and let him take key faceoffs before rushing off the ice otherwise.

agree and since hes injury its proven he does not need to be on the first or second line. when he won in Pitts he was 3rd line center.