The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: the Jerks invade south Florida to play the SwampCats

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Pussycats

2 March, 2019  7 pm EST

BB&T Center

Good early morning from OKC airport as mini-me and I work our way to South Beach for a few hours of desperately needed warmth before we and the 200 other fans attending tonight’s game work our way to the arena of isolation in Sunrise.

Coming off a HUGE emotional win last night that saw us completely dismantle the hottest team in the West, we head south to have Sneaky Pete take on Bobby Lu for the final time this season.

Beware the emotional letdown boys, and keep the foot on the gas! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Pussycats

2 March, 2019  7 pm EST

BB&T Center

Good early morning from OKC airport as mini-me and I work our way to South Beach for a few hours of desperately needed warmth before we and the 200 other fans attending tonight’s game work our way to the arena of isolation in Sunrise.

Coming off a HUGE emotional win last night that saw us completely dismantle the hottest team in the West, we head south to have Sneaky Pete take on Bobby Lu for the final time this season.

Beware the emotional letdown boys, and keep the foot on the gas! 

Agree with your last statement.  Hopefully this win last night won't drain them because they played a really tough game against the hottest team in the west right now.  That was a REALLY great physically played game last night and an evenly matched game and it was great to see Carolina come out on top.  I was nervous all through the third period until Staal scored that big insurance goal.   I'm sure they won't underestimate Florida because Florida has been playing quite well of late and you know they're thinking of revenge after our last meeting.  Here's to hoping that our winning streak does not end against the team that started it.

Keep it rolling boys.  Hopefully Edmonton will beat Columbus this afternoon.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

Mrazek in net.  

Does de Haan play tonight?

got to get out ahead early to keep the momentum going.  Have to win the first period.

1 hour ago, surfzone365 said:

No letdowns here. We are the superior one here, and should play like it.  

Ditto. Two keepers over 3 GAA and right at .900 SV%. I'm looking for domination on an L.A.-esque scale. Let's disabuse these guys of any notion that they can play spoiler--by the end of the first period.

• Like 3

A definite must win tonight. A win by us and a losses by the Evil Empire(GO HABS!) and Jackets(GO OILERS!!) will gives us some separation from the Wild Card fighting teams.

The Swamp Kittens are coming off a West Coast Swing through Colorado, Arizona and Nevada going 1-0-2.

Edited by hopper915

Just landed in Miami...you might see me on TV asleep come game time...0330 wake ups are the debbil 

On the one hand it seems like this is one we "should" win.  On the other hand, Fla still is above NHL .500 and they've taken 60% of available points in their last 10 games.  And "should win" in the NHL doesn't seem to mean near as much as it did a while ago. 

The teams competing with us for playoff spots keep winning.  Our response so far has been to give them the figurative finger, lol.  Let's keep it rolling tonight in South Florida.

20 more points needed with 18 games left.

Looking at the standings, some thoughts.

Our goal differential is now 19! 6th best in the Eastern

On our 8-2 run over our last 10, we are still in danger of not making the playoffs but are within 5 points, yes 5, of the division lead.

On the other hand Boston is 9-0-1 in their last 10, are 2nd in their division but are still 17 points out of first. That is nuts.  Also they have made up 1 point, 1 whole point over the last 10 games.  Tampa has gone 9-1-0 in the their last 10.

This is an easy one. Play a 60-minute game and the guys come out with a win; come out flat or take a period off and oopsie.

Score more than they do, guys.

• Like 3

Have I ever said I hate playing Florida. :shakeshead:. Well I do. They often spoil our party. The way we are playing it shouldn't matter. The past is the past and this is a new day for Carolina

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This is an easy one. Play a 60-minute game and the guys come out with a win; come out flat or take a period off and oopsie.

Score more than they do, guys.

See, it’s simple rationale like that which is all that is necessary. No need to over-analyze it 👍🏽👍🏽

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

20 more points needed with 18 games left.

Looking at the standings, some thoughts.

Our goal differential is now 19! 6th best in the Eastern

On our 8-2 run over our last 10, we are still in danger of not making the playoffs but are within 5 points, yes 5, of the division lead.

On the other hand Boston is 9-0-1 in their last 10, are 2nd in their division but are still 17 points out of first. That is nuts.  Also they have made up 1 point, 1 whole point over the last 10 games.  Tampa has gone 9-1-0 in the their last 10.

I also noticed our +19 goal differential and was going to comment on it but you beat me to it. :grin:

My goal has changed from "Making The Playoffs" to "Making The Playoffs Via The 1st WC Spot Or Better".  A couple more wins and it will jump to "Hosting The First Round". 

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Have I ever said I hate playing Florida. :shakeshead:. Well I do. They often spoil our party. The way we are playing it shouldn't matter. The past is the past and this is a new day for Carolina

Like our losing streak at MSG, the days of us being the weak and bullied are over. We are the punisher now.

2490E5B2-7BCC-43F0-A5D3-C2E77323C36E.jpeg

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 3

One more thing on Tampa: not only do they already have 102 pts, their goal differential is +80, a full 32 points better than the next best differential in the league (Calgary at +48).

I dont expect any emotionally flat games going forward. The team is rolling and knows how close they are with a short runway left. They may loose some going down the stretch but it shouldn't be from a flat effort.

YES, Oilers. 4-0 in 2nd. Could it be the pressure of having to keep pace and all the new acquisitions. 

Edited by 2ndsacker