The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Nashville Predators - March 9, 2019 - 8:00 PM EDT

No Rest 'Til Smashville

carolina-hurricanes-logo.thumb.gif.9f8db5ec638327d3598acf1d6207a662.gif    Vs 8514_nashville_predators-jersey-2008.thumb.png.4781dfe058b11027699125c1f6476e38.png

image.png.fba18f1f5943f3b22f8c4cd57ef51acf.png

8:00 PM EDT - Bridgestone Arena

Nashville, TN

image.png.d3710515826c195879532709d33a9ad9.pngimage.png.ace298dd9b09106780961b6edb3709e4.png

Speaking of "smash", that's exactly what happened to the Carolina Hurricanes (36-24-7) on Friday night at PNC Arena.  The team laid down (see image below) like a "bunch of jerks" before a hungry home crowd and then proceeded to let the Winnipeg Jets have their way with them the entire game. There were no celebrations, and the only thing resembling a "storm surge" were the sounds of toilets flushing at PNC Arena after the game, as fans and players alike would prefer to offer this performance to the porcelain wells as soon as possible. It was a beat-down for the ages. But alas, it is just one game.  The Winnipeg game is over and the Canes must move on (QUICKLY) to face a potent Nashville Predators (39-25-5) team that is aiming for the Central Division championship once again. The putrid smell from Friday night must not make it on the plane to Nashville.

r503191_1296x729_16-9.thumb.jpg.489dd4ae279ac8ccc0660e1b53fc4e25.jpg

While Friday night's loss hurt in many ways, there is no room for pity and self-doubt. The Canes are still in a good position to control their own destiny throughout the remainder of the season.  A win in the Music City on Saturday night will go a long way to right the ship and put the Jets game into perspective.

Carolina defeated the Predators 6-3 on January 13, 2019 behind Sebastian Aho's hat-trick and an overall well-balanced offensive attack. The Canes won their last meeting in the Volunteer state, 4-1, on December 21, 2017. The response alone from this team will be interesting to watch. Furthermore, we will not let one disaster of a game take away from the progress and accomplishments achieved thus far.  No crying, no bickering, no sulking....keep your heads up, put your hard-hat on, and grab your lunch pail . Time to get back to work! 

hardhatlunchbox.thumb.jpg.8787c3a68439a7169f8e6e436fa9f7d7.jpg

Carolina Hurricanes Stats Leaders (Source: nhl.com)

CanesStats.thumb.GIF.344c2ff62cd347e2db6fca067ee09d51.GIF

Nashville Predators Stats Leaders (Source: nhl.com)

PredsStats.thumb.GIF.ed453d2f70a71dc6f0bde88399aa09f2.GIF

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 6

There are different ways to lead.  When it comes to hustle, no one on the team has more than Foegele.  After sitting tonight I expect him to play like a maniac tomorrow.  Hopefully the rest of the team follows his lead on that front.

• Like 1

Last night was a disaster. It has to get better tonight. (I hope) IMO both Jets and Preds have a lot more talent so when we don’t show up with the “outwork them” mentality we can be blown out like last night. It’s a new day! Go Canes! 

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Luckily Montreal got their face kicked in almost as bad.

I don't take any solace in another team's misery, just when we win. For those pointing to the 9-0 loss in '05, just have to reflect ? when in the season? There's no excuse for that type of performance this close to the end and potential playoffs after years of frustration. Just hope Mrazek is so steamed, that he, Williams and Aho jump all over the Preds.

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

There are different ways to lead.  When it comes to hustle, no one on the team has more than Foegele.  After sitting tonight I expect him to play like a maniac tomorrow.  Hopefully the rest of the team follows his lead on that front.

in a game when we had some horrible horrible performances, the 4th line last night wasnt terrible. I agree though Foegele needs to be in and if Ferland is out, I almost would give Foegele more minutes because of his energy. 

Everything that could have gone wrong last night did. Pucks jumped our sticks and lander on theirs. McE while not alone in being at fault did not do what he and Mrazek have been doing all year and that was cover for D lapses. Speaking of D lapses there were a ton. Oh and if that wasnt enough the offense was well, offensive. but as stated above it was just one game, one loss, and one missed opportunity for points and the team behind us gained no ground. Move on and take it to the Kittys tonight in their barn. If I am remembering right last time we faced them we chased the great Pekka Rinne pretty early in the game. Lets do it again. 

Edited by Derailed75

I'm still sore from the kick in the codgers last night.  Been applying salve and ice packs.

I hope the boys are mad from last night and come out tonight with some fire.  

• Like 3

Here is something rather...interesting. December 2017. We played Toronto and got embarrassed by a score of 8-1.  2 nights later we played in Nashville and scored 4 goals early to run Rinne out of the building. Can we do the same tonight?  

On the one hand, the Canes seem to have a habit of making it harder on themselves. Generally best to win the front game of the B2B at home. On the other hand, this team seems to defy convention and often wins those harder games anyways. Nashville is a tough win in their barn, but we actually do have similar records overall. Bring the response.

As I was laying in bed last night  feeling awful  about the canes loss  against the jets  I was thinking to myself   was there anything that the canes could have done  to stop the bleeding  and scrap a win out of  it or walk away with just 1 point  like they did recently against the bruins and   while I was there thinking about it  .  I was recalling how the canes have been playing as of late  and  the way how they were playing  was not reassuring  at all  .   Sure  we would see Aho  carry the team on his back  and score a beauty of a goal  or Svechnikov as a rookie lay a nasty check  against someone  or   see  an amazing save from Mrazek or McElhinney  every now and again .  But the rest of the team was not playing up to par     and it  looked like the canes were morphing into another team    Some nights   and were not playing the way   we have seen them play where they dominate  every inch of ice  .    So it kinda goes back to an old saying I came up with years ago  when I faced the same thing .  " Sometimes  you have to Lose in order to Win "      and by that statement  I meant it  in  the sense that  when things seem to go good  on the surface   deep down  inside they don't .  Complacency   , Apathy ,   and Laziness  can set in  and while  you might feel good about  things going your way the question becomes , Did I earn it or was I lucky  ?    I think this is  / has   happened to the Canes lately  and   maybe you can  " Skate by "    on  it  but in the end  nothing lasts forever  .   As we all saw last night     If there was  any better way to lose  it was last night's 8-1  score against  the Canes .    Cause the canes can get a wake up call and refocus  on  what they need to do and  challenge themselves to play  a lot better .   If the Canes had lost  1- 0   that would have been bad for the team cause then they would of asked themselves if there was anything they could of done differently  and ignore  how they have been playing  and kept on playing the same way  .    An 8-1  loss from the jets was just the Butt Kicking the canes needed .    It might not seem like it was on the surface of things  but it was just the Wake up Call  they have been in need of for a long time !  The canes should be able to win tonight against the preds !

Edited by Canesfanforever

As i was laying in bed last night i was dreaming of the use of the period.  .

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

As i was laying in bed last night i was dreaming of the use of the period.  .

You too wxray. Thought I was the only one plagued by that nightmare?

I think from what we've seen from these guys their gonna come out pedal to the floor tonight. Frankly being humbled by an *edit* kicking could help them bring this thing home.

I think we’re over-analyzing a very rare occurrence. If we would have lost 3-2 of course it wouldn’t sting as much.  Let’s not let it happen again. Go Canes!

Just now, surfzone365 said:

I think we’re over-analyzing a very rare occurrence. If we would have lost 3-2 of course it wouldn’t sting as much.  Let’s not let it happen again. Go Canes!

I wonder how we would react if it was a game like what Florida had against Boston on Thursday night. Although they put that behind them and put it to the WIld last night, who the WIld shut out the Bolts the night before. Hockey is humbling. This team has shown time and time again not to get down and to overcome the adversity. Tonight is another big test, but a good measure. Our leaders need to step up and our defense needs to tighten up. Get back to the simple game and score first. That should help the confidence. Also, it would be nice to score a PP goal too. 

20 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

In a way a 3-2 loss might have hurt more. Then you think about bad bounces, soft goals, missed open net, etc. that might have made that one goal difference. The only thing to think about regarding last night’s game is why the whole team failed to show up with so much at stake. So everyone (except Mrazek) should have a huge chip on their shoulder and a determination to get back to playing like we have since December 31st. Time to show what we are made of.

We need a big bounce back game. That's obvious.  How we play will be just as important as a win. Having said that, lets win.

One game at a time. One point (2) at a time

The last couple of minutes of last nights game bothered me. Up by that much the Jets were still very aggressive. When the game is in the balance I have no problem with aggressiveness. A lead of 5 or more goals in the last five minutes you play not to get injured or to purposefully injure another player. The Jets were still jamming till the end. My only conclusion was that Paul Maurice decided to get even with Rod and to embarrass him. To hold a grudge that long is childish.

Edited by winger52

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

The last couple of minutes of last nights game bothered me. Up by that much the Jets were still very aggressive. When the game is in the balance I have no problem with aggressiveness. A lead of 5 or more goals in the last five minutes you play not to get injured or to purposefully injure another player. The Jets were still jamming till the end. My only conclusion was that Paul Maurice decided to get even with Rod and to embarrass him. To hold a grudge that long is childish.

It was not that at all .   The sole reason the jets kept the pressure up  was because they got beat  by the lightning the previous game  and  carolina against the jets played like  a bunch of chumps  till the end .   Paul  just wanted the win and well he got it .    And scoring 8 goals  on carolina  only refueled  carolina  as you and all of us will see tonight .   So in a manner of speaking   Paul  Maurice  did the hurricanes a much needed  favor by having the jets torch the canes and light  that fire that has been put out recently .   and he  likes and admires  Brind'Amour ,  there is no personal beef  between  those two . 

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

It was not that at all .   The sole reason the jets kept the pressure up  was because they got beat  by the lightning the previous game  and  carolina against the jets played like  a bunch of chumps  till the end .   Paul  just wanted the win and well he got it .    And scoring 8 goals  on carolina  only refueled  carolina  as you and all of us will see tonight .   So in a manner of speaking   Paul  Maurice  did the hurricanes a much needed  favor by having the jets torch the canes and light  that fire that has been put out recently .   and he  likes and admires  Brind'Amour ,  there is no personal beef  between  those two . 

Sorry but I believe this was pay back for Rod not mentioning Maurice at the ceremony for Rod's number retirement.

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

I was wondering about the late aggression as well, but then I thought back to the Canes 6-1 win over the LA Kings a week ago.  Canes were trying to score right up to the end in that game.   I'm thinking it's more likely young guys rather than the coach.