The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Carolina @ Colorado 3/11 9PM

Climbing the Mountain

cut.png

The chance to climb up the standings continues tonight in Colorado. The Hurricanes are coming off an impressive bounce back win against Nashville. The Avalanche are pushing for a playoff spot.  It doesn't get easier.

What a jerk, I thought, but I didn't care

• Like 1

Thanks for the GDT starter OBXer. 

I think we've passed the tests, so I shouldn't worry. But this one is another test. Third game in 4 nights and at altitude. I would think in an hugely effort-dependent game like hockey that a team being acclimated to the altitude would be a big advantage. Yet the Avs home record is only a fairly pedestrian 15-12-6. But on the third of four and traveling, it has to be tougher for us, than some of their other opponents. 

They sit 2 points out, so will be coming with all they have. And they have a lot, but it's all on their top line. Just saw that Landeskog is out for 4-6 weeks. That can't hurt our chances as that one line team loses a big chunk of that line. Looks based on their website that they've broken up the top line entirely, splitting Rantanen and MacKinnon. 

Overall the Avs have had pretty bad goaltending, ironic since many of us wanted Grubauer, but he is barely holding .900 save percentage. The bad news is he's had two shutouts in his last three starts. Not announced, but speculation that he will start. 

Hopefully the disaster that was the Winnepeg game is still fresh in the memory and the Canes push past the tired and altitude and keep it rolling. They get a three day break after this one, so let it all out on this.

Throw Aho's and Staal's lines at MacKinnon all night.  I put McGinn with Staal and Turbo to add more of a shutdown role for them.  Minimize the amount of times Mac is out there against Martinook and Svech.  Put Wallmark back on marty and Svech's line.  Roll Maen, McKegg, and Foegele on the 4th line.  

See if we can get the third and fourth lines scoring to open the game up.  

Their goalies havent been great and they have let in 25 more goals this season than us.  We have to get traffic early and see if we can reduce their site lines. We cant put up a bunch of 40 foot shots with little traffic and let the goalies settle into the game.  

Going to wish them luck tonight.  I'll likely be going to bed tonight after the 1st period, which is unfortunate.  With it being a meaningful game I'd like to watch every game from here on out but fortunately this is the last game of the season that has a rather late 9:00 start time because they're in the midwest.  With the way they've been playing now I'm confident they'll win but they need to show up to play.  We can't have any more games like Friday.  I'm sure the team got a big wakeup call after that game and will go on a tear the rest of the season.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

I'm hoping that the team brings along plenty of portable O2 units to administer during intermission periods? Seriously, I wonder if that's allowed for hockey and games At Altitude, as I believe it is for NFL? Also gocanes, your plan is good except that Colorado has last change?

Petr Mrazek is expected to tend to the crease for the Canes

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Svechnikov-Staal-Teravainen
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-McKegg-Maenalanen

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
de Haan-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek
McElhinney

Scratches: Ferland (upper body)

Projected lineup does have Grubauer starting in net tonight. He's had some good starts in his past few games but I like the fact we know the goalie better than most backups from the west! Its been since the LA game that we had a good all around game. I hope we can keep the pressure on throughout and have another nice win tonight!

39 minutes ago, TsunamiCane said:

Projected lineup does have Grubauer starting in net tonight. He's had some good starts in his past few games but I like the fact we know the goalie better than most backups from the west! Its been since the LA game that we had a good all around game. I hope we can keep the pressure on throughout and have another nice win tonight!

Grubauer beat us last time by saving like 42 shots.  Hopefully we can pepper him with the shots like we did last time. I'm hoping more go in now because our shooting % as a team has increased since that game (more goals are going in now than they were then). 

Regarding Mrazek starting I don't mind that but I wonder if Brindamour is playing goalies due to records vs teams or is Mrazek considered our starter (he was 7-0-0 vs Nashville in his career), which is the likely reason he got the nod in net Saturday.  I wonder what his record is vs Colorado.  I was hoping to see McElhinney in net.  I know he wants to get back out there and make up for that clunker.  I know he's a veteran but you don't want to have a veteran goalie sitting for a long time after a bad game IMO.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm hoping that the team brings along plenty of portable O2 units to administer during intermission periods? Seriously, I wonder if that's allowed for hockey and games At Altitude, as I believe it is for NFL? Also gocanes, your plan is good except that Colorado has last change?

I think it is allowed, but you rarely see it.

What you DO see is an addiction to ammonia smelling salts.  Watch carefully, especially at the start of the game, and you'll see many of our players taking a whiff from the little magic bullets.

Personally, I think smelling salts are BS, but I suppose the shock gets them going.

BTW, trainers won't give them to concussed players.  That is no longer recommended.

Well, the NHL Now crew predicts the Canes will win tonight because of no Landeskog and we're deeper in depth and a better overall team in Colorado.  However, I also found out that we have only ONE win in Colorado since moving to Carolina.  That win was a few years ago when Rask (no longer with us) scored the GWG in OT.  It was a 1-0 game if I remember correctly (remember the highlights).

Let's make it TWO wins in Colorado tonight.  We need to start another winning streak.  We don't play again until Friday; don't want to have a sour taste in our mouth for that long.  Win.

40 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

What you DO see is an addiction to ammonia smelling salts.  Watch carefully, especially at the start of the game, and you'll see many of our players taking a whiff from the little magic bullets.

Personally, I think smelling salts are BS, but I suppose the shock gets them going.

Got to skate on the ice after a game this year. Both benches full of the smelling salt packets. Used and unused.

1 hour ago, TsunamiCane said:

Forslund confirmed this on 99.9 a short time ago. He has been good in his last several games too. 

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Games no longer air for me on the fox sports go app.  Anyone else seeing the same?  I use sling tv.

Ive been using it this year for the first time and it has worked for every game so far.

was looking at the reminding schedule of the season for the canes if they  make the  PLAY-OFFS they would have earn it in a BIG WAY  there schedule is hard 

I have used NHL.TV for the last few years with few problems and almost zero blackouts. I feel like with a deep playoff run we will start to get national games and with that blackouts, catch 22 for me but one I will happily enter into

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Grubauer beat us last time by saving like 42 shots.  Hopefully we can pepper him with the shots like we did last time. I'm hoping more go in now because our shooting % as a team has increased since that game (more goals are going in now than they were then). 

Regarding Mrazek starting I don't mind that but I wonder if Brindamour is playing goalies due to records vs teams or is Mrazek considered our starter (he was 7-0-0 vs Nashville in his career), which is the likely reason he got the nod in net Saturday.  I wonder what his record is vs Colorado.  I was hoping to see McElhinney in net.  I know he wants to get back out there and make up for that clunker.  I know he's a veteran but you don't want to have a veteran goalie sitting for a long time after a bad game IMO.

Mrazek is 2-2 vs the Avs with his two losses being SO losses. So not much to go on, but I wonder at this point in the year if Brindamour will start going with whoever is hot. My beliefs in the playoffs is you have to go with the hot hand. I will say though they have both been equally good other than McE's bad loss the other night...