The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Carolina @ Colorado 3/11 9PM

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't think the D was making some of those amazing stops, do you?

No.  But 2 goalies turning it around makes you wonder.  Curtis was never bad.  Mzarek was a bit iffy prior to coming here esp with the stint in Philly.  Could it be the culture of the team propelled them?

The elusive 4 point separation. The ROAD and 18-8-3 against the West defines this team. How awesome to be a team at this juncture that drives nails in other teams playoff pushes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I will not fall suspect to these weak troll attempts by the Charlatans. 

Uh, you mean fall victim, I think? Thank goodness you chose sales and not the law. "DA Fat Stacks."

>shiver<

That'll give your sphincter a workout. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just not true, stop looking at the dark side. This team has persisted this year thru adversity and will likely continue.

Bluedevil, cant you just enjoy all of this?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 3

Glad I won't have to be in the shadows the rest of the season :P

It honestly would've been very awkward trying to post during this game 

• Like 2

An absolutely outstanding performance all around. Mrazek playing the best of his career and Svech getting rewarded for his efforts. This is a special team!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

No.  But 2 goalies turning it around makes you wonder.  Curtis was never bad.  Mzarek was a bit iffy prior to coming here esp with the stint in Philly.  Could it be the culture of the team propelled them?

Like can be said about many things, it’s probably a combination.  Goalie confidence in the D to be positionally sound and bail them out boosts confidence as does the team scoring first with regularity.  No question, however, both goalies seem to infrequently give up the “soft goal” that was so common in years past from both Cam and whoever the back-up of the season was.  

Think: how many short-sided soft goals have these two given up this season?  It seemed like Cam and company would give up 2 or 3 of those a week...

Well, I actually watched the whole game.  It was too much nail biting after the first period ended that I didn't want to go to sleep; didn't bother watching post game though.  Was lights out sleeping right after they congratulated the goalie.  Mrazek, all I can say is WOW.  It seems like his career has been rejuvenated since coming here.  ANOTHER shutout and we seem to shut teams out in 3's this year.  Mrazek has 4 shutouts, all 3-0 finals and McElhinney has 2; 1 3-0 and one 4-0.

I hope De Haan is OK.  I read that he was taken to the hospital for observation.  At least the team does not play again until Friday; that's their longest layoff in a while and gives time for their players banged up: Ferland and De Haan to recover.

Hopefully last night's game was the breakout game for Svechnicov.

20-13-3 on the road this season (13-3-2) in last 18 road games AND 4-1-1 in March overall.  So our tough March schedule is going quite well thus far; 9 points in 5 games.  It's nice when a team has a home/road record that is basically evenly split (18-11-4 at home).  It's usually the home record is a LOT better than road.  Not with this team this year; they're winning home or away.

It would be nice if on Friday we can basically end Columbus's playoff hopes.  They have not been playing well since the trades. 

Good overall win and Mrazek has DEFINITELY earned his keep.  Now SIGN him.

Hard work, great saves and a little puck luck. It was a well earned victory. It's nice to see Svech start to come into his own. The downer in all this was the injury to deHann. Finger crossed he will be alright.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, G50 said:

Glad I won't have to be in the shadows the rest of the season :P

It honestly would've been very awkward trying to post during this game 

I still lust (okay, bad word choice) after Landeskog, Skinner or no. Guy's a stud who Mike (Ferland) could be like, if he'd learn how to hit people without hurting himself.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Hard work, great saves and a little puck luck.

Qualities we've brought to the table, all at once, at least, about 12 times in the last 10 years. Glad to have them back.

DeHaan pretty much has to come back now. If a guy 10 years older than him can score off his cheekbone and return in the same game, I'm thinking the shame level will be intolerable for Calvin if he can't don the shield and play four days post facto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Qualities we've brought to the table, all at once, at least, about 12 times in the last 10 years. Glad to have them back.

DeHaan pretty much has to come back now. If a guy 10 years older than him can score off his cheekbone and return in the same game, I'm thinking the shame level will be intolerable for Calvin if he can't don the shield and play four days post facto.

Depends if it hit his eye, that was my first thought when we left the bench. If its just a cut I cant figure out why he wasnt back on the ice

18 hours ago, remkin said:

I would have gone back to McE, but Mrazek has been good too.

OK, I change my mind. I guess I'm picking a bad time to question a long term deal for Mrazek after this masterpiece. I still do, but not so much at the moment. He is without question the highlight guy. That save on Mikko Rantanen was a biggie. Guy even uses the shaft of the stick to make saves. 

BTW how on Earth did Rantanen drop to #10 in that draft. I followed that draft fairly closely, and I don't remember him getting top 5 love, but when I watch him play now, he just oozes high end skill. Sad that we (and 4 other teams) passed on him. That guy is sick. As is McKinnon. Hindsight is 20-20, but I can't help but imagine for a moment Rantanen instead of Hanifin. Could have even traded down for him. I know, happens every draft, but I just wonder how a guy with so much in your face skill drops. 

To my eye the third in 4 and the travel and possibly the altitude caught up with the guys in the back half of the game and Colorado's endless rushes started getting more lethal. But this is where this year's team is different. This was another game that would have been lost by nearly every other team of the past 10 years, but these guys win by 3. Not in OT, or by one, but by 3. Yes, some puck luck was involved, but this has been happening too much for it to all come down to luck. We have 10 years worth of no "puck luck". That's a pretty big N value to compare against.

Svech. I was thinking and posting about how good Svech is going to be next year and beyond. But if this is a springboard game, we may start to see it sooner. And if so, we are even more dangerous. 

I'm getting used to these wins to the point that I think I might be undervaluing them. This was a loss nearly every other year. But this team tucks it neatly in the clean win bag with all of the others. 

This team will not be denied.

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Depends if it hit his eye, that was my first thought when we left the bench. If its just a cut I cant figure out why he wasnt back on the ice

Didn't Brindy say in his post game deHann was taken to the hospital?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

And you generally dont go to the hospital for a cut, so there is either something more or precautions to make sure it's not something more

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

GM Waddy just released some info saying he was out in time to make the flight back with the team, and should not be limited in hockey activity. Thank Goodness! 

• Like 1