The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Carolina @ Colorado 3/11 9PM

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

GM Waddy just released some info saying he was out in time to make the flight back with the team, and should not be limited in hockey activity. Thank Goodness! 

Thanks sleek. Here is the statement

• Like 1

I do wonder what normal recovery means as in how long do you expect the normal recovery time to be?

56 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I do wonder what normal recovery means as in how long do you expect the normal recovery time to be?

The eye is one of the fastest healing organs in the body...so hopefully not too long 

• Like 2

This appears to be carefully worded.  I hope I am wrong but he might be out awhile.  Lets hope to see him Friday.  But number 1 is that his eye fully heals no matter how long it is.

• Like 2

I might be wrong but several years ago one of Toronto players got stuck to the eye and he had to end his career. Moreover his eye never recovered.

The problem with any speculation is we really don't know if it's IN THE EYE, or close to it? Yes, getting "stuck" in the eye is devastating, but to me the bleeding was coming from the lid not eye? I can't get the above statement on this computer, but just the fact that de Haan was able to make the flight really doesn't enlighten us except to say that whatever the injury might be, it wasn't a true medical emergency that needed immediate hospitalization.

47 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

I might be wrong but several years ago one of Toronto players got stuck to the eye and he had to end his career. Moreover his eye never recovered.

Mo had his eye injury when he was 20, which is why he was such a young coach.  Supposedly still has a blind spot.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I can't get the above statement on this computer

Here is a text version

"Calvin sustained an injury to his right eye last night, but was released from the hospital in time to make the flight home with the team," Waddell said. "At this point, his eye is responding as we would hope. We are optimistic that he will make a normal recovery without restrictions to his ability to play hockey in the near future."

3 hours ago, cc said:

This appears to be carefully worded.  I hope I am wrong but he might be out awhile.  Lets hope to see him Friday.  But number 1 is that his eye fully heals no matter how long it is.

I agree.  Notice there was no timetable.  Just that he'll play hockey in the near future. So, is he out for the season? Will he be ready Friday? These are questions that the statement from Waddell doesn't really answer.

2 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

Bruins decided to no show again tonight. 

Not worried.  Checked the score and noticed the players they traded for (Duchene and Dzingel) all scored.  We have the Blue Jackets on Friday.  They'll still be behind us after tonight and we'll have a game in hand (makes the win in Colorado last night HUGE).  They haven't played well at home all year (barely above .500). We beat them once in their building earlier in the year.  Time to do it again.

Pittsburgh has fought back to tie Washington (3-2 Pens now).  Looks like it's not going to be our night to gain or hold ground BUT can't focus on scoreboard watching right now because you will get driven crazy. 

As long as the Hurricanes keep taking care of business they'll be fine.  I don't know how this long layoff will affect them when they play again on Friday but I know it will help their injured players (De Haan and Ferland get better) because after this layoff is the meat of our March schedule in which we're 4-1-1 thus far. 

Fleury was called up today on an emergency basis.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Depends if it hit his eye, that was my first thought when we left the bench. If its just a cut I cant figure out why he wasnt back on the ice

18 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah, I was worried about an eye issue,hoping for the best.

I was thinking a really badly broken nose, like, he's gonna come out of it with a face like Roddy. It looked in-game (I haven't watched a replay since) like the sole of the other guy's stick blade caught the bottom of DeHaan's nose totally flush. 

13 hours ago, cc said:

Well he wouldn't be flying if it were too bad, i.e., a detached retina. A good friend's recent experience with that taught me that it requires immediate work, involving (cross my heart, hope to die) STICKING A NEEDLE IN YOUR EYE. Oh. My. Starts with F.

That unparalleled ecstasy, in turn, requires lying immobile, on your back, for something like a week. 

11 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I agree.  Notice there was no timetable.  Just that he'll play hockey in the near future. So, is he out for the season? Will he be ready Friday? These are questions that the statement from Waddell doesn't really answer. 

Playoff Mode😏