The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Evil Empire vs. Bunch of Uber-Jerks (19 Mar, 19)

I have a feeling that both teams are going to eventually  play each other again in the playoffs  and the winner of that game is going to the stanley cup finals .   If not then man , that was almost like a playoff game  last night ,  some nights  more than others the pace is going to get increased  but to see the canes are able to hang with the penguins  brings me great hope for the future  of this organization .  I cant remember the last time I felt this good about who our coach is doing all the things needed to get the team to that next level .  The canes are making it to the playoffs  if they can climb that mountain  this week and next !   We just started  last friday  but   so far they have shown me  they are in it to win it now after last nights game  .   There is still some areas that need to be fixed like Faulk  doing a better job defending   and it still hurts  not  having de Haan in the line up  but maybe with his time away it will be a blessing in disguised  cause then it will better the whole as a team without him  cause players will have to focus better  instead of relying on de Haan's   defensive game .  So that when he does get back  no one will have  lost anything but gained more because of it . 

Anyone notice Fleury  jumping into the plays last night ?  He was so close on scoring  too and  that is great to see !  Svechnikov   looked amazing out there last night . 

Hamilton with that goal in the shoot out ,  who knew he had them skills ?  i didnt  ! lol   .   Mrazek  stole the game for me  ,  I wonder how much  Tom is going to give him to stay with the canes after the playoffs  ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I’d offer Sneaky Pete 2 years at $4.5M as a “show me” period...he lights it up the way he has been doing this year, then we talk extension in 2020-2021 season for at least $7M.  I’d also re-up Big Mac for another year or two.

• Like 1

Not to bring up to much negative in such a positive time in Canes world, but.......Anyone notice Aho's only breakaway/shootout move is a writser to the 5 hole? Right before he went i was like please don't take a wrister from 10feet out and thats exactly what he did.  He is still new in the league so it's working for now a lot of the time, but eventually every goalie will know Aho's going wrister 5 hole or backhand 5 hole on every breakway/shootout attempt.  Good thing we now have other players that can get the job done in a shootout.  Mrazek/Mcelhenney are a heck of a tandem and we are lucky.  Aho, work on a new move, everyone's starting to catch on. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

*edit* happened to the board last night? Did AWACS call in a bomber squadron to take out the server farm somewhere?

17 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Why use a bomb when I could simply do an electronic attack or a cyber attack? ;)

CC0A3298-06C3-440D-A9B1-A409B609CAF8.gif

AWAC trying to deceive us again!  Now that we've uncovered his true nature, it almost certainly was sharks with laser beams on their heads!

Edited by LakeLivin

20 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

The Duck hunting storm surge even made ESPN's game center today

We just gotta close the deal with Montreal Sunday. If they lose in regulation they are on life support.

To be sure they will have an appropriate surge ready for Mr . Cherry.  Perhaps the Cherry Butt Bump.image.png.d84b84c8d24c3430bd024861563af7e4.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

AWAC trying to deceive us again!  Now that we've uncovered his true nature, it almost certainly was sharks with laser beams on their heads!

DFF54674-9BAE-4330-B17E-C8EC7E8960E0.gif

I forget who to credit on here for originally posting it, but  I"m really liking "Mragic".  Don't know if he has another nickname on the team, but at least we don't have to worry about "Mrazek-sy" or "Mrazek-er". :huh: 

Edited by LakeLivin

41 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’d offer Sneaky Pete 2 years at $4.5M as a “show me” period...he lights it up the way he has been doing this year, then we talk extension in 2020-2021 season for at least $7M.  I’d also re-up Big Mac for another year or two.

What about Nedeljkovic? I think next season he has a really good chance of making, especially if the Checkers go deep into the playoffs, backing up Raz.

I'm not sure it'll be well received if we walk into negotiations saying "Prove it to me again" I think his agent would say "He just did". I think he's going to want 3 years at least and he's earned it. I'd say the same for Mac if he was just a few years younger.

As for Ned, I'd talk to Mac first. If Mac wants a multi year deal I guess it was fun while it lasted but I don't think you can give a 36 year old goalie several years.

9 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'm not sure it'll be well received if we walk into negotiations saying "Prove it to me again" I think his agent would say "He just did". I think he's going to want 3 years at least and he's earned it. I'd say the same for Mac if he was just a few years younger.

As for Ned, I'd talk to Mac first. If Mac wants a multi year deal I guess it was fun while it lasted but I don't think you can give a 36 year old goalie several years.

Well...look at William Karlsson as an example...6 goals to 42...then wants monster money...gets a solid 2-year “show me”

24 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

What about Nedeljkovic? I think next season he has a really good chance of making, especially if the Checkers go deep into the playoffs, backing up Raz.

That’s why I’d keep Big Mac on a 1-year...

Had to officiate ballgames last night and couldn't watch til the midnight replay, with no knowledge of outcome which I much prefer. Pretty Sure I woke up my lady(hope she had no wknd plans for me) and the neighbors at around 245AM. Best hockey game I've seen in a long time and not just the V. That was competitive sports, and exactly what drew me to this game above all others. High praise for  Reg season match, and they seem to be only getting better in the stretch. Be down for the two this weekend. Couldn't stand not to be. 

Things of notice.....

1. Watson had what appeared to be genuine remarks for a few different Canes in the congratulatory line. Actually stopped Aho. Be nice to know what he told him.

2. If JW was any cooler, he'd have been a Sober rock star. Happy smile on the tying goal, but he fully EXPECTED to. I suppose he has elevated himself in my record keeping book to my favorite athlete ever, and the hockey is a rather small part of it. An honest, accountable, genuine man, that shines against the backdrop of prima donna athletes in this age.

3. The awesome dive and chance saving play at the end of the period by NN. An all in kind of guy, and our committee had to know that given the below average numbers at the trade.

4. Lovin the 2 points, but I swear NHL, that ain't NO WAY to decide a hockey game that has been THAT damn good, exciting, and team play scoring chance driven. Do SOMETHING so games are decided playing hockey. Change the CBA if need be.

5. Haven't been this exited to spend a weekend in Raleigh, since TB crushed us in the final game that year and let the Rangers in I think. $5 Hurricane rum runners and warm tailgating weather. IT"S BACK...hahaha

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

. If JW was any cooler, he'd have been a Sober rock star. Happy smile on the tying goal, but he fully EXPECTED to. I suppose he has elevated himself in my record keeping book to my favorite athlete ever, and the hockey is a rather small part of it. An honest, accountable, genuine man, that shines against the backdrop of prima donna athletes in this age.

He’s become my wife’s new favorite Cane since LaRose left...

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

side note 2: how was the Duck Hunt in person?  I suspect it lost a bit on tv.

Much better.   They cut to the bench much too late on TV.  There were about 20 gloves in the air and all those sticks.  Pretty good.

That was a playoff game plain and simple.  Refs swallowed the whistle, unwilling to call penalties that were not matching.  Clutching, grabbing, interference all over the place.  Teams playing tentative to not make a mistake, lots of aerial clears.  I thought we gave them too much respect the first 10 minutes or so but then settled down.  Pens did a great job preventing our cycling game from getting going, they can really pinch off the puck on the walls and handle it well in traffic.

Our D kept a good check on the dangerous guys.  It really was a well played game on both sides.  

In short, playoff hockey.  We just had our first test of it and passed.

• Like 2

that was a HUGE win for the canes , I,m very Proud of the way the canes came back and won that games v a very good Pittsburgh team 

Will be interesting to see how the Bolts approach Thursday’s game...will we see their backup goalie? Maybe rest Stamkos and Kucherov? I can dream can’t I?  😀

Glad we’re back online. Was able to see the entire game last night and what a classic. It was not for the faint of heart, and was a clutch win. This had Cardiac Canes of old written all over it. What a game!

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Much better.   They cut to the bench much too late on TV.  There were about 20 gloves in the air and all those sticks.  Pretty good.

I like that you could see the shooters lips moving, obviously saying some sort of ‘bang bang’ sound with each burst of their hockey stick rifle! 😂

Glad the boards are back up and running.  When they were down I thought it was my computer; now I know everyone was having issues.

Here's my take on the game.  Great game last night.  Very fun to watch and it was playoff like.  A lot of great saves by both goaltenders and Mrazek continues to impress.  I have to admit when Letang scored I thought the game was over.  Reason being Murray was 4-0-0 with a sub 1 GAA and a 97 save percentage vs Carolina in Carolina (kinda like Greiss is in Carolina).  Then when Williams scored I realized we had a chance.  OT was great.  Would've been nice to score on the PP.  Aho WOULD have won it if Jack Johnson did not block the shot off his left skate because Aho had an open net.

I got nervous again when it went to the shootout because we've never had success with shootouts.  Mrazek stoning Kessel, Crosby and Guentzel in the shootout gave me hope that we now have a goalie that we can count on in shootouts.  Don't know how McElhinney is though.

Until Aho learns some nifty moves we need to NOT make him the top 3 in shootouts.  My top three would be Hamilton, McGinn and maybe Staal.  We need someone like Jussi Jokinen.  He always had those nifty moves.  Hamiton's shot was enough because it just trickled through.  At first I thought the goalie saved it then the light came on.

We gave Pittsburgh a point BUT we got two points.  We're now 2 points behind them with TWO games in hand.  Pittsburgh has picked up 2 points in last 3 games; we've picked up 4.  We're 6-2-1 in March.  Not a bad start to a tough month schedule wise.

Next is Goliath (TB).  Bring them on.  If we play like we did Tuesday night we have a legit shot to beat them.  I know we can beat them.  We played two great games against them this season in their building.  Yes, we lost but they were games like last night.  Maybe we should call Pekka Rinne of the Predators to suit up for us.  I found out he's 9-0-1 against TB in his career.  It's why Nashville won both games.

Tomorrow David needs to slay Goliath.  TB really has nothing to play for because they've clinched everything there is to clinch but that does not mean we can sleep on them (and I doubt their players will take it easy because they've clinched) because they can put up 6 or more goals on you in a heartbeat.  Lets keep the successful homestand going.  Both goalies are hot right now for us so I wonder whom will start and which of the goalies has a better record vs Tampa since sometimes besides the hot hand coaches like to go with the goalie that has the better luck against an opponent.

This team though has been fun to watch these last two months plus.

It helped Columbus lost last night so thank you Calgary.  Gave us a little breathing room and we have a game in hand on Columbus too.  They are so in danger of caving.  Montreal is only one point behind them now.

Oh, and how ironic that I want Tampa to win tonight because they're facing Washington.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

23 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I got nervous again when it went to the shootout because we've never had success with shootouts...

Hard to remember, but in the dream season of 2005-2006, the first year of the shootout, the Canes actually had the third best shootout record in the league, 8-2.  Since then, I’d have to believe the Canes have had the worst cumulative SO record in the league, so a 2-2 SO record this season seems pretty good!

16 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Justin Williams does it again.  The guy just keeps scoring clutch goals.  

Yes, I believe it was a smart choice to make him our captain.  He's always been clutch for us this season at the right time.

31 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Hard to remember, but in the dream season of 2005-2006, the first year of the shootout, the Canes actually had the third best shootout record in the league, 8-2.  Since then, I’d have to believe the Canes have had the worst cumulative SO record in the league, so a 2-2 SO record this season seems pretty good!

Wasn't that also the first season where the NHL made the road jerseys be worn at home and the home jerseys on the road.  I'm used to see us wearing white on the road now of course but I kinda miss the times where teams wore their white jerseys at home and red jerseys or dark colored jerseys (whatever color the dark jerseys are for all teams) on the road.  I know the home team still sometimes where the white jerseys a home but that's usually for special occasions.  Ex: the Rangers wore white on Mark Messier night.

Also, the last few years I know we were terrible in shootouts and in years past we'd find a way to lose last night's game.  Not this year though and that's what I love.  This team does not quit.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

I agree with Sportsfan about Aho and the shootout. IIRC, Rod caught a lot of grief earlier this year for not using Aho in a shootout that went extra rounds. I think Slavin had pretty good success earlier this year, and Brock has a pretty good history as well. The shootout goes away for this year soon anyway. With another year under his belt, I wonder if Svech might be a good option. I get not sending a rookie out for now. I think 3 on 3 OT has cut down on the number of shootouts, which is great in theory, but the shootout does add an element of excitement if your goalie is not Darling or Cam.