The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Jerks vs Bolts (21 Mar, 19)

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Absolutely! 

I don't care who we play first. I'm just thrilled to be talking about who it might be.

If we win, we'll probably have to play them at some point.

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

He wasn't the same.  NO WAY.  And I'll tell you why.

We sit up in 322 with a direct view at the bench and breezeway.   I took my eyes off the game and watched, with my field glasses (rink glasses?).  Doug worked on Aho a few minutes near the breezeway.  Aho was in big pain while sitting.  At a break in the action, he got Aho up and had him skate a loop or two.  Aho came off with a "no" look and off they went to the dressing room for at least 5 minutes.

What they did there is the team's business.  Xrays?  Shots?  Massage?  Fitting a brace?  I dunno.  What we do know was he was in pain enough to not be confident of his skating.

When he came back during a commercial break, he again went to the ice for a test loop.  That means he is not 100%.  Whatever happened has had an effect, and it may last a while.  I don't mean to be negative, but it wasn't good.

As for Nino, he seemed to have no issue.

How weird was that? A knee on knee with YOUR OWN FELLOW PLAYER! I just buried my head in sadness and disgust. That knee is only meant to bend one way. I'm sure he's hurt, but to what degree is a big guess. A little further and that's a XCL tear or at least bad hyper extension. We got battered and bruised in that game. It was physical and we came out on the wrong end. And for what? A game we were probably going to lose anyways. I mean, kudos to the boys for laying it all out there and that's what you wanna see, but Geez. It has the unfortunate feel that they are limping towards the playoffs. It's a long and brutal season of hockey, and when it comes to injuries, much of it is luck. (with some opposing cheap shot dirtiness mixed in of course)

Edited by sleekfeeder

I had a rabid TBL lightning fan in back of me last night. He was rewarded nicely as Andrei Vasilevskiy passed up a signed puck from the tunnel during the middle of the third period. Good reward!

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Time out, there, rem.  The Canes got thrashed 8-1, recently, by Winnipeg.  I was there.  It sucked.  They were so supposed to obtain all benefits and honors of a thrashing at that game, and that game only.  We fans were supposed to suck that one up and enjoy the learnin' goin' on. 

I sure don't want to see another.

Mrs. and I have been to 13 games.  We've seen 7 losses.  Frankly, I'm still cautious and have not renewed yet.  Show me, Canes.  Don't blow up.  Don't waste this.

Mrs. and I may stop going since we seem to be bad karma.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm on about. It's probabilities. I'm not sure the fan base would be as thrilled as they think if we ended up going down fast to Tampa. I know we think we can play with them, heck these have been heady days. And maybe we would hold our own, and if we did then that would be great. But I'd rather beat someone before trying that out if at all possible. I would much rather get smoked by Tampa in the second round or later than show up for our first playoff games in 10 years and just go down fast. 

Hey it could happen vs other teams too, but this Tampa team is just soooooo loaded. 

• Like 2

Fun trivia... Kucherov, while far from my favorite, was picked 58th overall in 2011.  That same year, we drafted Ryan Murphy 12th and Victor Rask 42nd.  Ba-dump-bump.

Of course the same year, Gaudreau was picked 104th...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Folks, I know you are focused on the bulldoo officiating.   I was at the game and nearly lost my mind on the last one.

However, sitting on the Tampa side, I also watched nearly all the action there.  That's not a good thing in the third period.  And it wasn't all power play.  What I'm saying is the Canes were off in the third compared to the rest of the game.  They let that bs 4 on 4 get to them, and seemed to fold the tents.  No forecheck after that.  I was losing my mind over TVR's lazy dump ins.  Etc.

The team lost it, and it wasn't good.  Yes, Tampa got help elsewhere.  But the best help they got was from the Carolina Hurricanes.

That is all.  I'm done for tonight.  It was a fun 60 minutes and a painful 30.  Time to hit the hay and try to forget this.

I read this post at work and just now have a chance to respond.  Thanks for the insight from someone whom was there.  I know nothing can be done of it but I don't like that the Canes just quit after that BS call.  They need to stop letting things like this get to their head and stop taking their foot off the gas because of it.  We had the game won AGAIN, just like we had the game won in TB in January until those late penalties killed us.  It's all fine and dandy when the players blame themselves for it when the game is over but they're the ones whom can fix it by not doing it to begin with.  I don't know if the refs caused them to play passive after the call because they were too nervous to be aggressive thinking they may get a penalty (a good team like TB with their pp can do that I guess).  Last night was one of the greatest 40 minutes of hockey I've seen them play all year vs TB and I was really pleased and then they imploded in the 3rd period.  I'm kinda confused as to why Brindamour did not call a timeout after the Callahan goal.  He had to have known the team was out of sync and he seems to call timeouts at the right time and pump the team up.

Regarding our schedule; we HAD the 3rd hardest remaining but those numbers were skewed by TB's record of like .800 hockey.  Now that we're done with them our schedule is actually not really a killer anymore the rest of the season (remember that) and is more manageable. I'm not saying that we can relax but barring a full implosion a 6-2-1 or better record is entirely possible with the so called easier schedule now for the remaining games.  The Caps may be the only challenge left since we haven't beaten them yet but that was during the times before we've gone on this run.  All the other teams we've already proved we can beat them. 

We can't have any more collapses.  That third period reminded me of the 1st period in the Winnipeg game.  We need to learn to keep our foot on the gas and not let questionable or bad calls get to our heads.  If this team implodes now in their final nine games and misses out on the playoffs they won't have anyone to blame but themselves and changes will be made in the offseason too.

Regarding facing TB in the first round if we somehow get knocked down a spot.  If we play them like we did for 40 minutes last night for an ENTIRE 60 minutes or longer if goes into OT and stay out of the box (which we haven't learned) and don't let questionable calls get to our heads and have an implosion then yes WE CAN beat them.  If we don't stay out of the box and have implosions then we'll get beat.  It's that simple.  You're right, the Hurricanes handed TB this game more than the refs did but I think the refs played a part in our implosion by making questionable calls that got to our players heads causing them to be more passive in the 3rd period and not aggressive (for fear of getting a penalty).  Just my two cents.

Sorry for the long post just had to make my point.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wxray1 said:

He wasn't the same.  NO WAY.  And I'll tell you why.

We sit up in 322 with a direct view at the bench and breezeway.   I took my eyes off the game and watched, with my field glasses (rink glasses?).  Doug worked on Aho a few minutes near the breezeway.  Aho was in big pain while sitting.  At a break in the action, he got Aho up and had him skate a loop or two.  Aho came off with a "no" look and off they went to the dressing room for at least 5 minutes.

What they did there is the team's business.  Xrays?  Shots?  Massage?  Fitting a brace?  I dunno.  What we do know was he was in pain enough to not be confident of his skating.

When he came back during a commercial break, he again went to the ice for a test loop.  That means he is not 100%.  Whatever happened has had an effect, and it may last a while.  I don't mean to be negative, but it wasn't good.

As for Nino, he seemed to have no issue.

Knee-on-knee is NFG, and Aho clearly got the worst of it. I don't want to be negative either, but speed is such a key part of his game that I hope he sits versus the Wild if he's not 100 percent ready and rarin' to go, and for that matter, versus the Habs too. Two teams we should be beat with or without him. Let him get better; assuming it's not a whole lot worse than we think, four nights off could be a really smart move leading up to Washington.

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Knee-on-knee is NFG, and Aho clearly got the worst of it. I don't want to be negative either, but speed is such a key part of his game that I hope he sits versus the Wild if he's not 100 percent ready and rarin' to go, and for that matter, versus the Habs too. Two teams we should be beat with or without him. Let him get better; assuming it's not a whole lot worse than we think, four nights off could be a really smart move leading up to Washington.

The only thing is do we really want to sit a player of his caliber out of a game during a playoff race? That's my only concern.  We need everyone playing if they can play.  Even though we should beat the next two teams doesn't mean we will.  That's what worries me is whether we'll recover after the implosion last night and win these next two games.  If we win these next two I'll feel a little better about our playoff chances because a good homestand here is imperative.  A 6-2-1 record in our last 9 is doable.  We're not facing TB anymore and they skewed the #'s regarding our tough schedule.

Now, if he's hurt bad and says he can't go then sit him and hope we don't need him and that Nino, Williams and Staal and Teuvo will pick up the slack for him until he's ready.  Also hope that he doesn't sit out long because we can likely survive without him for one or two games but I don't know if we can the rest of the season (if injury is that bad).

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

The only thing is do we really want to sit a player of his caliber out of a game during a playoff race? That's my only concern.  We need everyone playing if they can play.  Even though we should beat the next two teams doesn't mean we will.  That's what worries me is whether we'll recover after the implosion last night and win these next two games.  If we win these next two I'll feel a little better about our playoff chances because a good homestand here is imperative.

Now, if he's hurt bad and says he can't go then sit him and hope we don't need him and that Nino, Williams and Staal and Teuvo will pick up the slack for him until he's ready.  Also hope that he doesn't sit out long because we can likely survive without him for one or two games but I don't know if we can the rest of the season (if injury is that bad).

I feel like we're solid enough at center that between Willy, Wallmark, TT, Martinook, and Maenalanen they can buy him some time. The fact that he skated at all after the collision has to be a good sign. My guess is that the five or so minutes he spent in the room was for x-rays. I think there's no way he's back out there if there was even a hint of anything beyond a bruise. His long-term upside and importance to the org isn't worth risking, playoff race or no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I feel like we're solid enough at center that between Willy, Wallmark, TT, Martinook, and Maenalanen they can buy him some time. The fact that he skated at all after the collision has to be a good sign. My guess is that the five or so minutes he spent in the room was for x-rays. I think there's no way he's back out there if there was even a hint of anything beyond a bruise. His long-term upside and importance to the org isn't worth risking, playoff race or no.

Hopefully this will be like the Freddie Freeman incident in baseball.  Two years ago Freeman missed time with a broken wrist after he was hit in the hand with a pitch.  Last year (and I saw this game) he was hit in the same hand, in the same spot as two years prior when he broke his wrist by the same PITCHER no less.  He immediately dropped the bat and slowly walked into the dugout, down the tunnel and did not return.  Fortunately for all Braves fans his wrist was NOT broken this time just bruised and he was back in the lineup the next day and ended up playing every game last season.

I agree, Aho likely has a bone bruise.  Knee on knee hurts but just to see him skating in the game afterwards was a good sign.  I'm sure he felt it this morning and it was likely swollen but I highly doubt anything is broken.

• Like 1

Well guys, Wild just went into DC and beat the Craps!

Tomorrow will be REALLY interesting.

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well guys, Wild just went into DC and beat the Craps!

Tomorrow will be REALLY interesting.

I saw that game through the first two periods before I went to bed.  The Capitals to me looked...dead...like they were asleep.  They looked like us vs TB in the 3rd period on Thursday.  I can see why TB man handled them last game.  I don't know if they dialed down their play because they were facing the Wild or what.  Neither team was very physical although last time the 'hits' stat came up the Wild basically tripled the Caps in hits.  It was a pretty boring game and I've seen the Caps on television play better games against the Flyers and Rangers and Penguins. 

We'll see how the Canes respond tonight after they blew it in the 3rd vs TB.  I expect them to come out flying.  The Wild seem to elevate their play when they face playoff teams.  They beat TB in TB 3-0 and then the next night lost to Florida 6-2.  They've done well on the road but can't win a game to save their life at home lately and they're fighting for their playoff lives like we are.  So yes, it will be an interesting matchup but fortunately for us not a David vs. Goliath matchup (which we fared well for 2 periods before fading).   Hopefully, their lesson was learned after that poor 3rd period against the NHL best.  You have a lead you can't take your foot off the gas no matter what happens, especially when you're fighting for your playoff lives.  Don't lay down and die to any team.  The Canes did that on Thursday in the 3rd in front of their home crowd.  I don't want them EVER to do that again. 

12 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I agree, Aho likely has a bone bruise.  Knee on knee hurts but just to see him skating in the game afterwards was a good sign.  I'm sure he felt it this morning and it was likely swollen but I highly doubt anything is broken.

I'd like to see it again from a different angle (and would also like KJUN to chime in), but if I were a betting man I'd put my money on a slight to moderate hyperextension. The impact looked to be right on "the button" (kneecap), i.e., Nino's knee pushed Aho's straight back, beyond the locked position. If it were an ACL/MCL, there's no way he'd have been up and skating again. Knee ligament tears usually result from quick changes of direction with twisting, and they almost always produce an audible popping sound. Whether SeaBass heard or felt one is probably the first question they asked when he got to the bench.