The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Battle of the Network Staals (Canes vs Wild), 23 Mar 19

Bunch of Christmas Trees @ Bunch of Jerks

Saturday, 23 March, 2019

7 PM EDT

Caniac Central

Thursday night sucked...flat-out sucked!  Between the refs, the cheap shots, the freak injuries, and the third period implosion, it was a Sisyphusian effort by the Bunch of Jerks.  And with the Habs and BJ’s hot on our heels for playoff contention, the boys have to get back at it, and fast...

...which brings us to this game.  

The Wild are coming off an emotional win against the Craps last night that vaulted (albeit probably temporarily) into the west’s WC2 spot...and they’re playing for their playoff lives.

Odds are we’ll see their backup goalie (pause for groans and four letter words).  My $$ is on Sneaky Pete in net tonight, and Big Mac tomorrow vs the Habs.

Mini-me and I are enroute...see some of y’all at 430 at Backyard Bistro.

AE15FA28-2688-4183-B75F-C77B83B2C1E3.png

I hope all that are going to the Backyard Bistro enjoy the gathering of board Caniacs (get it)

Is this another bounce back game? Is this another chance to close the gap for 3rd place? Is this another must have win?

One game at a time. One point (2) at a time

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Our fun starts at 4:00 sharp in the East Lot.  Gonna char some bird and mammal flesh on the flame pit, and consume mass quantities.

Just Win

Probably will park there around that time and walk to BB...I’ll swing by if I see ya 

57 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Our fun starts at 4:00 sharp in the East Lot.  Gonna char some bird and mammal flesh on the flame pit, and consume mass quantities.

Just Win

I'd pay the parking fee to sample that event.

51 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

This should be tough battle against 2 teams fighting to hold on to the wild cards. I hope Aho is alright. Go Canes! 

Aho is on the ice for the morning skate per the big rig 

• Like 2

What a huge weekend in front of us!  We have the chance to take care of business and put some distance between us on the teams fighting for a spot. CBJ does not play till Sunday night AFTER everyone else has finished their games. Banking as many points as we can here this weekend is HUGE. Getting 2 against HABS is a must, and they also play tonight at home. We play well against the western conference all season so lets hope tonight is no different! 

Edited by EyeOfTheStorm

18 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

Chip Alexander reports Mrazek first off the ice this morning 

What’d I tell ya? ;)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Say hello to Victor Rask and thank him for our season.

I aim to start a “Thanks for Nino (clap clap clapclapclap)” cheer tonight 

8E8B7690-DDC0-46B7-80C9-976517D24B8D.gif

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Svechnikov-Staal-Teravainen
Ferland-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-McKegg-McGinn

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
de Haan-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

On the other side of the Rask thing, Nino might just want to light the lamp a couple of times on the team that gave up on him. 

I'd like to see the Canes get back to that flowing team that keeps the pressure on for close to 60 minutes. I'd like to see Aho get back to superstar level too. He's been solid and put up a couple of assists, but the last several games he seems just a bit off of his highest level. Wonder if a few shifts back with TT might be good. 

These next two games just feel huge. Tonight, we need to beat a good team, but probably not as good as most of the teams we have to finish against. We also need to keep putting up points. Then obviously Sunday we need to get the 4 point swing vs the Habs. I am confident we can beat any team not also named after a weather event, but outside of New Jersey, we are facing all playoff teams, or one that has been on a decent run to try (Philly x 2). On the plus side, we seem to get up for the big boys, so long as they're not THE big boy.Yes, playing the big boys right before playoffs could be a great tune up, but we do need to keep getting some points too.

Starting with this one will help. 

MInnesota, is a very average team and very beatable. We should be very hungry, and tend to play well when in an every other game rhythm. They are back to back with a presumed back up in there. They are the #21 team in points percentage, 3-4-3 in their last 10. #13 PP, #15 PK. But oddly they are a pretty good road team 20-15-2. 

Big 2 points. 

42 minutes ago, remkin said:

MInnesota, is a very average team and very beatable.

That average team just went into DC last night and beat the Craps

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

That average team just went into DC last night and beat the Craps

The Wild have the AVs and Yotes nipping at their heels for the last playoff spot. Beatable yeah, Average maybe, Dangerous, for sure.

There are no nights off in this league.

• Like 3

Well I said they're average, not bad. I get the angst against overconfidence, and they have a winning record on the road, but they are #20 out of #31 in actual points achieved of points available, center mass special teams, #21 in goals per game, #18 in team save percentage. The very definition of average.

Now overall, so are we. But not since December 31. Since then, we are way above average.

I get it. Any given night. That's why they play the games. Can't look past anyone. One game at a time. Run into hot goalie. Every team has good players. 

And I'm not saying they are bad either. Average teams can beat good teams and do on a regular basis. I'm not saying we will win, what I'm really saying is that the urgency of winning this one is higher because the general quality of opponents upcoming is better, and we ought to be able to get this one. 

I can't predict the outcome, but I do think we'll come out with a big effort tonight. Just feel it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Odds are we’ll see their backup goalie (pause for groans and four letter words).  My $$ is on Sneaky Pete in net tonight, and Big Mac tomorrow vs the Habs.

3 hours ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

Chip Alexander reports Mrazek first off the ice this morning

36 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

I guess we will see Stalock in the net for the Wild 

Tonight’s winning lottery numbers are...

;)

This game can’t get here fast enough...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Tonight’s winning lottery numbers are...

;)

This game can’t get here fast enough...

Its torture. Im sitting here hoping the Isles lose so we can gain on them tonight :) Enjoy the game tonight with your mini you! 

Edited by EyeOfTheStorm