The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Les Habs vs Les Jerques, 24 Mar 19

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Sports fan said Price is starting.

Habs really didn't have any choice, did they?  Critical game, Price: 2.52 GAA, .916 S%   Niemi:  3.78 GAA,  .887 S%  (that's downright Mongo-esque!)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Habs really didn't have any choice, did they?  Critical game, Price: 2.52 GAA, .916 S%   Niemi:  3.78 GAA,  .887 S%  (that's downright Mongo-esque!)

No I don't think they did. I know Price is used to being ridden, but am I right that this is his 8th straight start and back to back? Hopefully that helps us.

25 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

So Ferland scores a goal tonight with the game being broadcast in Cree right/?

Dude needs one - he has 0 goals and only 2 assists so far this month.

I thought he was creating some chances yesterday. It's going to be tougher on that grinder line. Love Martinook, but he has 8 assists in 74 games. Really hard to see Ferland putting up a lot of points on that line. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

I thought he was creating some chances yesterday. It's going to be tougher on that grinder line. Love Martinook, but he has 8 assists in 74 games. Really hard to see Ferland putting up a lot of points on that line. 

maybe he will break through on the PP 

I'd like to see Aho have a big game. He's kept putting up points, but seems off his superstar game lately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

I'd like to see Aho have a big game. He's kept putting up points, but seems off his superstar game lately. 

Lots of pucks jumping his stick at times and he looks to be pressing a bit. I agree, its time for him to have a big game. 

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

That's a good point - way easier to rack up points when you're on a line with Aho & TT.  That said, that guy up in Buffalo still managed to find the back of the net when he was on the 3rd line here, and that was with worse linemates than Ferland has.  If Ferland truly wants the big payday, it would be nice to see him make more of an impact than getting into a fight in the 1st period and not returning for the rest of the game.

I'm thinking it's hard to find more polar opposites than Ferland and Skinner! Whatever Skinner's negatives, the man could create for himself. Ferland, not so much.  I see Ferland as a guy I want on this team for all of his other attributes and his ability to play on a top line as an agitator that can finish chances, but not a guy I want to sign to an expensive, long term contract.

Lately The way Mrazek has been playing  i dont see why  not start him tonight ?    McElhinney  has not been up to par lately  and im concerned if he is injured  and not telling anyone about it ?    That Velcro  needs to be   ready for tonight against the Habs  ,   I think that Drouin is  a dangerous player skill wise and  he has matured  a ton  since the tampa  incident .    What happened  in the past   is  in the past .    Since then   his skill  as a Sniper  and playmaker   has only gotten better   and it seems  like  The Canadians won out on that trade in the long term    .    Tampa  needed a piece which they got for  the immediate short terms  but montreal  got a franchise  changing player in the end .    

Edited by Canesfanforever

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Lately The way Mrazek has been playing  i dont see why  not start him tonight ?    McElhinney  has not been up to par lately  and im concerned if he is injured  and not telling anyone about it ?    That Velcro  needs to be   ready for tonight against the Habs  ,   I think that Drouin is  a dangerous player skill wise and  he has matured  a ton  since the tampa  incident .   

both bad games were on the players in front of Curtis. 

1 minute ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

I agree with CFF on this one. The D has had bad moments at times all year. Mrazek and McE have made great timely saves until the last few starts for McE. Not saying he has been bad just not who he was earlier

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

The Defense needs to  know when to  step in on the play and know when not to  .    That has been the canes biggest Achilles  Heel    this year    by getting caught off guard on 2 on 1  or 3 on 1  plays  ,   Canes need to better prepared  for stuff like that .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

its confirmed? 

According to the NHL app I have on my phone when I go to the preview of the game it shows the lineups after reviewing the preview of the game of course and has McElhinney as the starter.  So yes, it's confirmed although it could change before opening faceoff.  It also has Maenalen as the healthy scratch.

23 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I agree with CFF on this one. The D has had bad moments at times all year. Mrazek and McE have made great timely saves until the last few starts for McE. Not saying he has been bad just not who he was earlier

I would respectfully disagree.  Both the Winnipeg game and TB game were all on the defense, not him.  Remember, before the team imploded vs TB in the third McE seemed to see EVERYTHING thrown at him by TB in the 2nd and WAS NOT giving up any rebounds.  He looked like he was getting in a groove.  He also had that great game vs Buffalo to start this homestand. He's not the dazzler like Mrazek is but I don't expect him to be. 

But I have noticed that he hasn't been on a roll like he was before (when he had like a 10-3 run or something), but again that's because two of his last three games the team did not play well in front of him.  One game was for the entire game and the other was in the third period.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

In the Checkers game:

Fleury on the 3rd pairing while Bean is on the 2nd. Not sure if that means anything.

With Gauthier out with an illness, Mattheos slides up to 3RW next to Roy.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

No I don't think they did. I know Price is used to being ridden, but am I right that this is his 8th straight start and back to back? Hopefully that helps us.

If it's 8th straight obviously it seems like MTL has no faith in their backup.  Niemi must've gotten shelled his last game to not use him in so long.  I know it's a playoff race but I don't think it's smart to ride your starting goalie to the finish line and that includes having them start B2B's  Price is a pro so like you said Rem I'm sure he's used to being ridden but it's bound to put a toll on him.

I don't know if Cam Ward was ever ridden this much when he was with us.  Every coach is different but I like how we're handling our goalies by having the backup start every other game or so.  Keeps both goalies fresh and ready to play for the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised if this goes through the playoffs as well; the backup starts every other game or so.  Barring a full implosion by this team WE WILL make it to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I have a feeling he'll break out and soon.  His first game back at Columbus he had some grade A's (including a clear cut break away), and he's been having chances every game since.  He's just not finding twine.

8 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I don't know if Cam Ward was ever ridden this much when he was with us.

You're kidding, right??? Cam was the textbook definition of being ridden like a rented mule most of his time here.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Anyone got the updated numbers on playoff percentages with both a W and L tonight?

Percentages will also depend a lot on the outcomes of CBJ @ VAN game later today