The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Capitals @ Hurricanes 3/28 7pm

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, let's just pretend the 46 times they've already done so this season haven't happened, because of this one loss.

Is that you Biff Tannen?  For my part I'm glad to know in advance we are going to win 4 of the last 5. :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Is that you Biff Tannen?  For my part I'm glad to know in advance we are going to win 4 of the last 5. :)

I have a copy of grays sports almanac in case you want to know how this turns out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I don't no what game many of you saw last night but I saw one heck of a hockey game. We didn't roll over and the Caps didn't either. We have a three team race for two spots. It doesn't get much more exciting than this. After nine years of also ran teams we are in the race. It won't be easy and it shouldn't be. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Agree with almost all of your post.  But as far as enjoying every minute of it, the ultimate result will be highly situational for me.  I'll be thrilled with each win.  But if something is important enough to provide that possibility (seems like less things do the older I get), missing out on it will have the opposite effect.  

Let's face it, Canes aren't yet at the same level as the TBs and Caps of the league.  And playing harder isn't always enough to make up the difference . But they shouldn't be at a disadvantage to any of the rest of the teams on the schedule.  Canes still control of their own destiny, and my biggest concern is the amount of variability (luck) inherent in hockey as compared to most other sports.   Too high a chance for my liking.that we can outplay the other team and still lose if a couple bounces go the wrong way

Edited by LakeLivin

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Let's face it, Canes aren't yet at the same level as the TBs and Caps of the league.

Yeah but they have five games left to get up to speed 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Montreal has a gruesome schedule over the next four games: Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Washington, and Toronto. They'll do good to win 2 of 4. That would give them 94.

Columbus should win 3 of 5 (Buffalo, NYR, Ottawa) and could add one more (Nashville, Boston). That would give them 96 or 98 points.

Our destiny still is in our own hands. We should win against Philly twice and New Jersey, and maybe pick off Toronto. That would give us 97 or 99. Barring a total collapse, we should be in, but we'll play TB or Washington. Depending on our injury situation, we might upset the Caps but TB is another thing entirely.  

Why would you "might" upset a team we just got swept by? That doesn't make any sense

I thought this year was "finally" different and have seen much growth and much improved play, but thesepast few games bring back alot of negativity.

Still hoping for playoffs, just to get a round in.. even if don't win

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

It kind of felt like the Canes (and the Canes' goalies) were due for a reversal of fortune.  They've been pretty darn hot and got a lot of bounces.

On the plus side, McE kept them in this game.  Very early on, the Canes D was struggling and Washington was coming in with incredibly beautifully choreographed rushes.  I mean scary good.  McE held the line on those and the Canes were able to get their act together for a competitive game thereafter.  Just too bad that dribbler found the hole so late in the game.

Or Ovi's ping off the iron goes in instead and its over with 5 min. left... well past the time of "what if's".. Need to beat Philly tommorrow and get back winning, or many of us have been wrong and its NOT a change from the same old canes of last decade, IMO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

I don't know what game many of you saw last night but I saw one heck of a hockey game. We didn't roll over and the Caps didn't either. We have a three team race for two spots. It doesn't get much more exciting than this. After nine years of also ran teams we are in the race. It won't be easy and it shouldn't be. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Its  all about the babies steps  .  Not  some " One small step for man , one  giant leap for Caniac  Kind "   if you catch my drift  lol . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

5 hours ago, canes2017 said:

Why would you "might" upset a team we just got swept by? That doesn't make any sense

I thought this year was "finally" different and have seen much growth and much improved play, but thesepast few games bring back alot of negativity.

Still hoping for playoffs, just to get a round in.. even if don't win

Anything is possible.  Yeah, I know the Caps swept us this year but ANYTHING is possible.  I'm sure in NHL history there have been teams that swept another team during the regular season and in the post season the team that got swept dominated the team that swept them and won the series. 

In the playoffs regular season stats mean nothing. Everything is back to 0.

I know we have to get there first but like Tripp said once we get there we have to have amnesia vs the Caps, forget the season sweep.

Time for the Canes to prove their resiliency once again with a strong bounce back effort vs Philly tomorrow and keep it going in Pittsburgh on Sunday.  Will be our last B2B set of the season.

Even though I'll be at work I'll be checking on the updates via my phone and hoping for the best.  I feel they need to win tomorrow to save their playoff chances.

I was upset about the loss last night but we played A LOT better than Tuesday, a bad bounce was what cost us and the good teams like Washington seem to get those bounces go their way. 

Brindamour is right.  If they play like they did yesterday through the remaining games we'll be fine.  All the remaining teams we play we've beaten more than once (except Toronto and NJ) so we know there style of play.  I'm holding out hope that we're playoff bound this year. 

What has killed us this year is our record vs our own division.  10-12-2.  Just think if we were .500 right now within our own division we'd be in a much better position.  Thankfully we did so well vs the western conference teams, our record vs them is why we're where we are right now.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

I Also am holding out hope, as I have the last decade- just better be different this time around : )

And just saying if you don't think we have a chance against tampa.. i'd say the same criteria applies to capitals is my point..

13 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

I Also am holding out hope, as I have the last decade- just better be different this time around : )

And just saying if you don't think we have a chance against tampa.. i'd say the same criteria applies to capitals is my point..

I'll hold out judgment until game 1 of round 1 starts (IF we get in).  Don't want to jump ahead.  Once we know whom we face, whether it be TB or Washington regular season records are wiped clean and everything is a clean slate.  I'm not saying we'll win the series but even though they swept us 0-7 combined for both teams they really didn't dominate us.  All games were close except the last TB game where we gave up after two periods and the game in DC when we were off on the ice.

I get your point and I agree, my point is if we get in, we're not going to be an easy team to face for any of those teams, especially if we play them every game like we did last night because like Rod said the more games you play like that the more you win, this just happened to be one we lost.

Think of Detroit in 96 in regards to TB and Washington right now.  That's what I'm thinking.  There is a team I think that will bounce them in the playoffs. Regular season success does not always equate to post season success.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1