The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Carolina @ Toronto 4/2 7:30pm

Clinch it tonight & Thursday, guys - i won't be able to watch Saturday.  We've lulled the other teams into a false sense of security - now score more than they do...

The math is a little skewed on sportsclubstats - they have us at 78% now with a jump of 14.3 with a win tonight and a jump of 10.6 with a Montreal loss and 2.0 with a Columbus loss.  Adds up to 104.9%, though we still will not have clinched.  I quite like our odds if all of that happens, though...

We need a spark. We need somebody, anybody to put the team on their back. I know it will take all hands on deck. After all that has been our game all season. Play our game and odds are we can win, Play their game and odds are we won't. But in big games their are usually one or two players that you notice more than the team as a whole.We need a spark.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

The math is a little skewed on sportsclubstats - they have us at 78% now with a jump of 14.3 with a win tonight and a jump of 10.6 with a Montreal loss and 2.0 with a Columbus loss.  Adds up to 104.9%, though we still will not have clinched.  I quite like our odds if all of that happens, though...

realm, I wonder if instead of "and" for the Montreal and Columbus losses, that should be "or" in spite of a loss by us?

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

We need a spark. We need somebody, anybody to put the team on their back. I know it will take all hands on deck. After all that has been our game all season. Play our game and odds are we can win, Play their game and odds are we won't. But in big games their are usually one or two players that you notice more than the team as a whole.We need a spark.

Aho breaking out of his slump would be nice 

I am concerned Tampa is not going to take tonight seriously. Projections have a call-up goalie starting. They played last night too while the Habs sat around and wait. 

Looks like we're playing Sparks tonight, although he was the guy I wanted for our AHL team this year he's been having a rough rookie campaign in the NHL. If we put even remotely challenging shots on goal they should go in.

Just now, EyeOfTheStorm said:

I am concerned Tampa is not going to take tonight seriously. Projections have a call-up goalie starting. They played last night too while the Habs sat around and wait. 

The only thing I can see giving Tampa a reason to show up is Pasquale had a rough outing last time, was he left out to dry or did he suck...I have no idea. Maybe the Lightning wanna make it up to him if they left him out to dry?

• Like 1

Aho needs to start pulling the trigger more. He hasn't taken more than 3 shots per game in the last 10 games. Playmaking has been good but take advantage of that shot from the right circle, we need goals. Ferland....skate straight down the ice and put that Arssse in front of the net.

We played a whole season to get into this position.  We would have taken it if offered before the season started in a heartbeat.  3 games, control your own destiny, still in it.

It's been a great ride.  I say a playoff run is not for the faint of heart and it sounds like I am joking around but I am not.  My mom looked me in the eye last night and said she had to turn off the Pens game and go do the dishes she just can't take the pressure anymore.  She's 77 years old and I feel for her.

So its time to sack up and finish this off.  No matter what these past 3 months have been a blast.

Those of you who were emotionally all in back in 2006 can remember the feeling during Game 6 of the Stanley cup finals and after it.  Remember the scenario...  in game 5 we were up 3 games to 1 on EDM, on a power play in OT when Stillman made that ill advised pass to give away a breakaway.  Then, we came out for game 6 and gave up the stinker of the playoffs and we went from a stranglehold on the series on PP in G5 to dead even going into a game 7. 

The sickening feeling I had after that game is a lot how I have been feeling after watching us lose 3 of the last 4.  But I do remember who was in the locker room before game 7 of that 2006 series, and 2 of them are going to be in the locker room tonight.  And I remember how that one turned out too.

I for one, believe.

• Like 3

Time to stand up and let it all out there. Toronto is scary because they can score in massive bunches, but they can also be had. HUGE game? yes.

I hope we see Mrazek and not go for the old guy beating his original team look. Mac's looked shaky for quite a few games now, Mrazek's the hot hand and I think you send him out 3 times.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hag65 said:

We played a whole season to get into this position.  We would have taken it if offered before the season started in a heartbeat.  3 games, control your own destiny, still in it.

It's been a great ride.  I say a playoff run is not for the faint of heart and it sounds like I am joking around but I am not.  My mom looked me in the eye last night and said she had to turn off the Pens game and go do the dishes she just can't take the pressure anymore.  She's 77 years old and I feel for her.

So its time to sack up and finish this off.  No matter what these past 3 months have been a blast.

Those of you who were emotionally all in back in 2006 can remember the feeling during Game 6 of the Stanley cup finals and after it.  Remember the scenario...  in game 5 we were up 3 games to 1 on EDM, on a power play in OT when Stillman made that ill advised pass to give away a breakaway.  Then, we came out for game 6 and gave up the stinker of the playoffs and we went from a stranglehold on the series on PP in G5 to dead even going into a game 7. 

The sickening feeling I had after that game is a lot how I have been feeling after watching us lose 3 of the last 4.  But I do remember who was in the locker room before game 7 of that 2006 series, and 2 of them are going to be in the locker room tonight.  And I remember how that one turned out too.

I for one, believe.

I was at game 5 hoping for the clincher. Almost puked.

Talk on Toronto site of "resting some players" including Matthews? Could we be so fortunate? Montreal however is "chuffed" as will bring back Anderson for "last 2 games". hahaha

• Like 1

I'm skurd. We've come so far, and yes it has been a great season, but what a cherry on top it would be just to give these guys a taste for all their hard work. 

• Like 1

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-McKegg-McGinn

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

I wanna rag on Ferland for being rather lifeless in the lineup, but I also feel like the chances are good his shoulder's still bothering him and don't need to eat the injury crow twice in one season (Hamilton)

If Aho's knee is really an issue, I wish we had anyone other then J Staal to move to the first line to try to get a more even matchup with an injured Aho. But, we've got Staal and a big fat nope to putting him on the first line. We'll live and die by Pegleg Aho.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago

head coach Rod Brind'Amour on Calvin de Haan (upper body): "He won't be around for this week."

I thought Fluery played big on his last call up. Lets hope he can play even bigger for this week. I'm not uncomfortable with him in the lineup but I am more comfortable with deHann. No pressure Haydn Just play your game.

• Like 1