The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Devils @ Hurricanes 4/4 7pm

For 2 or 3 years minimum, these boards have oozed the talk of signing a total top tier winger, with major scoring the strict requisite. I've frowned on that notion especially early this season when seeing the potential depth and off season trade upsides that I thought I was seeing. NINO turned out to be that long sought after addition, strenghthening with consistency and grit and not high flying highlight reel scoring. Until the chips were down last night. JUST WOW. Contribution in all areas from so many gritty and bought in players I think has validated my philosophy that NHL success, even limited as this run, is born and lives in 4 line contributory depth. And sorta selectively, scoring isn't it. So much puck management and o zone possession from a line with Martinook, Svech, etc. Superb PK with Brock Mcginn, TT and Aho and Pesce and Savior Slavin. The speed and growing games Foegele and McCegg have brought all season to the table with energy and fearlessness. So many other small things with no headlines have defined this team and that source is a man who played that way himself. And the cool demeanor of a captain whose been there and done that. Some players never graduate to the level of influence and effective communication of nuances that make for success. Our Roddy has in a big way with a group of men who came to believe him. Highlight freaks can have their Skinners and Nylanders til the cows come home. I like and will always prefer, HOCKEY PLAYERS. 

As Many have said, its was LOUD and electric last night in Arena! Brought back so many great memories.. Heck even had Bates( 2001 cup run) cranking up the "storm warming" before game.. Of course have rod and jeff daniels on bench from Other playoffs runs, just felt right last night. Also was neat to see alot of older Jersey in the house- 2001 Irbe's and Oneills.. ward/staal/even a ladd from 2006. Good to see People coming back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Mrs. said, something like, "look at that" at the beginning of the 5 on 3 when he kept the puck in the zone with a sweet desperation play.  Then he subsequently scores.

He's a different player this year.  He has his moments, but don't we all?  Thing is, there are moments, not months or seasons as in the past.

The keep-in was incredible.  I still think Faulk earned every bit of grief some of us threw his way for a few seasons there, but this season he's been Dudeman, and i'm damned happy to see it.

I still would have traded clinching last night for everyone else winning out and the Pens booking tee times, but once it was obvious the Pens were going to win i was happy to replace the question mark with an exclamation point.  The next couple weeks (or longer) are going to be fun, yes?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2ndsacker said:

So much puck management and o zone possession

The Canes puck management had become so awful over such a prolonged period that until BP, I'm not sure many fans or color commentators (cough*Tripp*cough) even realized it. Now it's back to being the canary in the coal mine, indicating when we're going good and when we're not. But to my eye, there's one more step the team must take if it wants to be relevant in the playoffs, and that's having enough confidence in their system to manage the puck whether or not they have the lead. 

With about 15 minutes gone in the second last night, Tripp came as close as he is likely to ever come to saying we were playing too fast: "The Canes need to slow the game down." They got to intermission still playing too fast, but when they came back for the third and got the lead on Faulk's gorgeous goal, their puck management, particularly through the neutral zone, suddenly became night-and-day better than it had been the whole rest of the game, when they were either losing or tied. I don't want to take away from what Jersey did. They were on every puck and fully committed.

But the key to success in the playoffs for this team will be managing the puck without regard to the score; not falling into the trap of dumping pucks into the neutral zone without a strategy for advancing through center ice with possession and maintaining it into the O-zone. If we do that only when we have a lead, it'll cost us. If we do it regardless of the score, we'll control the pace of play--which is the key to winning games, no matter who scores first. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
missing word
  • Like 1

It's funny when Rod's says we didn't play necessarily well and I'm like guess I've been watching bad hockey for so long I forgot what good was because I don't have much to complain about on that game. Devils definitely felt the playoff vibe in the room and rose their game to the occasion despite having a very AHL lineup.

Rod and Willy have the tough task to refocus the group now after that elation, can't think of two better guys to wipe smiles off faces and get that job done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Oh, and one more thing.  Foegele.  He brings it the same way every shift, and has all season.  Hard not to like that kid Foegele, as he finds his niche. 

He has elite stickhandling ability. It's just taken a while for him to find the confidence to use it at this level, but now that he has, look out.

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Oh, and one more thing.  Foegele.  He brings it the same way every shift, and has all season.  Hard not to like that kid Foegele, as he finds his niche.  What a sweet goal to get the place rocking. Just the way it was scored.  It changed everything with the fans.  You could feel it - people were gripping the stick after the NJ goal, I know I was.

He has a higher potential next year as well. Just getting his feet wet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

So sweet - we jumped and hugged and high-fived - just so much emotion washed away after all this time.

Playoff hockey in the East Lot is happening.  So many memories, more to be made.  Can't *edit* wait!

A very pleasureable experience in the arena. Fans were a little nervous in the first period but once we spotted the first goal the bear was wakened from its slumber. Voice was shot after the game and my head stinger this morning is worth it. Love to see us jump to the third slot and Pens reduced to WC participants.

• Like 1

Was on the road last night so couldn’t watch the game...was anxiously checking my CBS Sports app for updates.

Just wanted to add my sincere congrats to the long decade suffering STHs who stuck it out despite everything...you guys and gals are the real heros here!

I will close by saying that it will be a crime against sports humanity if Rod does not win the Jack Adams award. What he has accomplished this season with this group of players is the most impressive thing I have seen in sports in a very long time. Thing is though we all know that Rod has no ego and does not care about individual awards. He just comes to work every day laser focused on getting the job done. A great life lesson for all of us...

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around swapping between April baseball and April hockey.  And I like baseball.

Dont get that one at all...playoff hockey vs spring time baseball. Baseball was my life in an younger body, but I'll take playoff hockey anytime.

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

That was a good hockey. What an awesome day.  Beautiful weather for tailgating, a fantastic crowd, a win, and PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The building was rocking in a way I haven't seen since 2009, and maybe even better than that.  It could be that I have just kind of forgotten how energetic it could be, or it could be that the crowd had a special bond with the Jerks.  Mrazek was great as the first star, and you couldn't hear a word of his interview after the game because the crowd was chanting his name.  Lots of hugs and high fives last night.

Coastal is dead on about Foegelle.  When that kid hops over the boards, he never takes a shift off.  

My favorite crowd response was the PET R.....PET R.....PET R chant after a save. Petr has stated this has been his favorite locker room he has ever been in and loves the fans.

38 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

It's funny when Rod's says we didn't play necessarily well and I'm like guess I've been watching bad hockey for so long I forgot what good was because I don't have much to complain about on that game.

I love that Rod is so frank in his post game.  There were lots of games in Nov-Dec where the team did play well, but lose.  Rod took heat for those comments, but stuck with his approach and told you the result afterwards each time, good or bad.  Unlike basketball, where the team that plays better almost always wins because there is so much scoring.  In hockey, the team that plays better actually loses a significant percentage of games.  When the 'puck luck' is against you, it can be temping to pull the trigger on changes...but it really is the play level that matters long term and it takes a wise, in tune coach to know the difference with his guys.  

Had to work late and watch this on DVR. Bad idea, kept me up half the night afterwards. Still hasn't fully sunk in. "Playoffs? You talk about playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs?" Jim Mora. YES!!!!! PLAYOFFS!!! For the first time in forever you can play that clip in irony. I have no idea who we might draft next year, no whiff of tanking talk either and that in itself is an odd feeling.

I could hear the building loud and clear on TV, and yes, I wish I was there. 

The island is an outdated concept, but as I posted elsewhere, so many things came together this year. The list is in that post but many were on display in this game. In the end the committee is vindicated so far.  I'll post separately on a few of them, but this one is just because the Carolina Hurricanes are in the playoffs. I have my tickets and this year, I get to use them. I'll be at every game. 

Go Canes!!!

A few things upon reading through this thread. 

Nino. Holy one-sided trade Batman! He is on a 33 goal year-projected pace for his 35 games here. Picking up a 33 goal player mid season for a guy whose salary was going to be a dead weight? Can't be many more one-sided trades in the NHL this year. And yes, this is the physical winger who can score. But he's scoring even more than the guy I was envisioning all these years. 

Faulk. There's one thing we can all agree on. The Faulk of this year has been massive. Not just the goals, and man was that one a bomb. But all over the ice he's making the right decisions over and over and when he doesn't he's recovering most of those. And he's done it without losing his biggest upside IMO, his puckmoving. 

Foegele. Krule and m'boy. I can remember one of the early developmental camps and he was on a rush down the ice. A guy skated at him, and he made the sweetest move to get missed, spin and keep the puck the whole time and kept moving forward. That was a big time move and he's shown many others. Then went to Charlotte and simply dominated as a rookie scoring tons of goals with little PP time. He is coming on. He does not have elite speed or sniping skills, but he has another level of skill that is starting to emerge with the confidence he's gaining. I don't see a 30 goal scorer, but I see a whole nuther level next year. 

Aho. We have closed this out with a struggling Aho. He was injured. I get the sense that he is getting better, and looking better, but if he can find that super star in the playoffs, we'll need it. 

On playing fast, I get what Top is talking about. I think in this case the team was trying too hard. They knew this was a must win and they wanted to leave it out there. But they got to dumping and chasing a lot because they were not connecting passes during stretches. Brind'Anour made a good point. These games are MORE stressful that playoffs because you have to win them all basically. 

The Devils absolutely did not lay down and let us have this one. They brought it. We could easily have lost that one.

And lastly here: Mrazek. All summer I was thinking this is the chance for our goalie to work hard and prove last year was a bad dream. But that goalie was Darling. I never thought it would be Mrazek. But what this guy has done in his last roughly 20 starts, has been nuts. He's got a .914 save percentage, but half way through the year it was around .900. He is currently #22 in save percentage for the year, but over the last few months he has to be right near the top. Not only has he (and McE) gotten us into the playoffs, but he might be our answer moving forward at a position that seemed to have no answer at the start of the year.

Playoffs? Yes please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickD_99 said:

Was on the road last night so couldn’t watch the game...was anxiously checking my CBS Sports app for updates.

Just wanted to add my sincere congrats to the long decade suffering STHs who stuck it out despite everything...you guys and gals are the real heros here!

I will close by saying that it will be a crime against sports humanity if Rod does not win the Jack Adams award. What he has accomplished this season with this group of players is the most impressive thing I have seen in sports in a very long time. Thing is though we all know that Rod has no ego and does not care about individual awards. He just comes to work every day laser focused on getting the job done. A great life lesson for all of us...

A real tough Year to have a great coaching year.

1. Tampa- John Cooper- closing in highest point total ever..always gets a coach props

2. Islanders- Barry Trotz-  After Losing Tavares, Most thought Islanders will be awful( yes, even worse than canes) before season- they are good.

3. Bill Peters- He turned around the Calgary Flames into a consistent winner

All of the above have legitimate reasons to win it , in addition to Rod, just pointing especially this year, there are many very worth candidates

I think that they will be hesitant to give coach of the year to a first year coach. Just guessing. 

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Columbus loses both games in regulation and Montreal gets just a point tomorrow, and the Habs are in.

Not true...we win tomorrow, the worst we get is WC1...

That is true but if WE don't win tomorrow in Philly and Columbus wins out they're WC1 and we're WC 2.  Even if we get an OT loss in Philly and Columbus wins out they'll still get WC1 due to the ROW.  However, if Columbus loses tonight or tomorrow everything I just mentioned is moot.  Just to make sure how about we just win in Philly and sweep the series.

Two other things: Columbus has a B2B.  That's a heck of a way to end a season.  Hopefully they'll be gassed and lose at least the one of those games (maybe the one in Ottawa; both would be nice though).  Hopefully Lundqvist will take care of them tonight (if he's starting tonight).

Also, let's not forget Pittsburgh; they're within our grasp.  If we win tomorrow and they lose we're third.  I know Tripp and John talked about how important it is to clinch but nobody is mentioning how close we are to Pittsburgh.  I find that odd.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

9 hours ago, canes2017 said:

A real tough Year to have a great coaching year.

1. Tampa- John Cooper- closing in highest point total ever..always gets a coach props

2. Islanders- Barry Trotz-  After Losing Tavares, Most thought Islanders will be awful( yes, even worse than canes) before season- they are good.

3. Bill Peters- He turned around the Calgary Flames into a consistent winner

All of the above have legitimate reasons to win it , in addition to Rod, just pointing especially this year, there are many very worth candidates

I get your points but I sincerely doubt that any of the 3 coaches listed above would get anywhere close to 97 points out of the current Canes roster....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

I get your points but I sincerely doubt that any of the 3 coaches listed above would get anywhere close to 97 points out of the current Canes roster....

Think Trotz could as did with islanders with less talent then canes this year and has done wherever he goes.

My Point is while would like to see Rod win- If he doesn't wouldn't be that surprising or "crime against humanity" as other "worthy" candidates this year specifically do exist

48 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Think Trotz could as did with islanders with less talent then canes this year and has done wherever he goes.

My Point is while would like to see Rod win- If he doesn't wouldn't be that surprising or "crime against humanity" as other "worthy" candidates this year specifically do exist

I certainly agree that all the coaches you mentioned are worthy candidates. I just feel like Rod’s accomplishments overall with this team are more impressive, not the least of which is totally transforming the culture from “we hope to win” to “we expect to win”.

58 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

I certainly agree that all the coaches you mentioned are worthy candidates. I just feel like Rod’s accomplishments overall with this team are more impressive, not the least of which is totally transforming the culture from “we hope to win” to “we expect to win”.

Hope you are right!.. It would be nice feather in Cap- and while it should not enter in the discussion- give him more visibility and raise his profile for his annual HOF snub- sort of how many times an ex-player that becomes a good sportscaster ends up getting in Hall of Fame, despite being borderline.