The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

What did you bring for mojo?

I consider what I wear and bring, even eat and drink for mojo influence. What was yours? I had my T-shirt hat and badge holder from 2009 playoffs . I was listening to tunes coming to the game and Bon Jovi came on. I changed it quick. 

Nothing fancy for me. Just my old STIHL hat,... with chaffed bill, sweat and bar & chain oil stains that will never, ever wash out. Dug it out of the garbage after my wife told me she threw it away, washed it and have been wearing it out of spite on game days since Christmas. 

• Like 1

I wear one of the original home white CCM sweaters no name or number the CCM is hanging on by a thread literally. My youngest daughter (10) got me a plastic cosey that's a little to big for bottles and she gave it to me for Christmas this year so I guess you guys can thank her

• Like 1

So I haven't heard a cow bell in ages. As a rule, not a fan. But for the playoffs? Maybe. Have they been outlawed, or did they just run their course?

• Like 1

Mojo is fluid.  I pay close attention to recent influence on wins/losses and potentially change it up.

Old Canes sweatshirt (ancient mojo) over Bunch Of Jerks tshirt topped with one of the new Blacks sweater/jersey and a Canes hat my son bought me 2 years ago.   Did the trick.

I always wear red to work (or at home) on gamedays as well.

In playoffs I buy new flags and they stay on the vehicle for the entire duration of the playoffs.  They then get retired and labeled.  The most frayed are of course the most treasured.  I'll save the story of what happened with those 2006 flags for another day...

Nothing...continued to somehow start several GDT’s and attend road games...and proved it wasn’t me after all 

14 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Nothing...continued to somehow start several GDT’s and attend road games...and proved it wasn’t me after all 

Your proof is suspect.

All that was proven is that HCRB can overcome mighty obstacles, bad juju included.

• Like 1

Never grown a beard in my life, started late December and realized the streak was going on so I kept it going til I absolutely couldn't stand it anymore, 3-0 loss to Columbus....sorry but it all worked out! 

• Like 1

In the 3rd period, sit in front of tv with a little red heart, i know, corney..:)

14 hours ago, dinz said:

In the 3rd period, sit in front of tv with a little red heart, i know, corney..:)

Corney is of no consequence.  Whatever works.  If I have to do Baby Shark before the start of the 3rd and it works every time guess what I'll be doing.  I had better never try it.

• Like 4

The second half of the season I have worn my black hurricanes sweatshirt. Luckily my wife likes the house cool but as the weather warms up I may need to turn the air conditioner temperature down to ice rink condition. There is always a price to pay, in this instance an electric bill. Or I can literally sweat each game out. Maybe that's not such a bad idea since I will be sweating each game out anyway.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2019 at 12:09 PM, hag65 said:

Mojo is fluid.  I pay close attention to recent influence on wins/losses and potentially change it up.

Old Canes sweatshirt (ancient mojo) over Bunch Of Jerks tshirt topped with one of the new Blacks sweater/jersey and a Canes hat my son bought me 2 years ago.   Did the trick.

I always wear red to work (or at home) on gamedays as well.

In playoffs I buy new flags and they stay on the vehicle for the entire duration of the playoffs.  They then get retired and labeled.  The most frayed are of course the most treasured.  I'll save the story of what happened with those 2006 flags for another day...

Great! Thought I was superstitious.   Canes camo hat, black t shirt, black Jean's and black pull over Jersey hoodie, same shoes...non sneakers. Watch the Marley commercial prior to the third period. Slowly broke in a new hat for away games and has been lights out, hence our great road record this year. I had some magic flags until Mrs. Shot hit the window open button and they went flying on Edward's Mill Road.....not happy.

Edited by slapshot02

Hard to not be superstitious when every damn time someone says or thinks shutout it gets ruined.

That could have been more of a Cam Ward thing though then superstition. I love Cam and think he gets a bad rap but the guy couldn't keep a shutout with 10 to go to save his life.

Edited by legend-1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, remkin said:

So I haven't heard a cow bell in ages. As a rule, not a fan. But for the playoffs? Maybe. Have they been outlawed, or did they just run their course?

Just ran their course I guess along with some of the old faithful fans. I wouldn't mind hearing them again. I used to bring a horn, just got tired of carrying it around.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, legend-1 said:

Never grown a beard in my life, started late December and realized the streak was going on so I kept it going til I absolutely couldn't stand it anymore, 3-0 loss to Columbus....sorry but it all worked out! 

Haven't worn one for years, looked like Grissly Adams. Mrs Shot wasn't happy. https://images.app.goo.gl/ZFQHBtFZDi8XsaXm6

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I used to bring a horn, just got tired of carrying it around.

They is fer blowin.  I agree if you cant realistically blow the horn use it to change the oil n your vehicle.

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I had some magic flags until Mrs. Shot hit the window open button and they went flying on Edward's Mill Road.....not happy.

Ok, I feel like typing...

Cup run 2002 I had the flags up in my old Ford Ranger which had no AC.  Problem is, I also had a lucky sweatshirt I wore for gamedays (actually mentioned in my post above as "ancient mojo" which I used for the clinching game this season).  So it's a pickup with only 2 windows, I can't put the windows down because I have the flags up, and I am wearing a sweatshirt in NC and we are making a deep run into June and it's like 110 in the damn truck.  But I didn't dare change it up.  I'm driving to work in the office on gamedays in a sweatshirt in June, walking in drenched in sweat.  Somehow people understood though.

My 2006 flags story is, I had them up in my Accord and I was driving everywhere with them of course, can't take them down.   At this point we are in the Finals, driving down a country road at 55mph and my wife puts the window down and there goes the flag.  She looks at me with terror because she knows dang well if we don't win the cup she is seriously going to never live it down.   I find a place to turn around and we go back for the flag, I can see in the distance someone has already pulled over and is climbing back into their car with my flag!  I come up to them honking the horn as they pull away and luckily they stop.  I get out and explain that they should hand it over or we will not win the cup and they oblige.  My wife replaces it on the window and we continue on, stealing a glance at me from time to time, clearly still worried that she is a goner.

Luckily we win, and we never have to find out what her fate would have been.

Edited by hag65
  • Like 4

Great story Hag. My wife went through 2 sets of flags but I take part of the blame for the second set due to not locking her ability to open the window. Left to much open for an opportunity for failure.

• Like 1

More Mojo stories.  

Last night I wanted to change it up since we lost all 3 away games in Washington.  So I have a white canes jersey I haven't worn since Christmas (I got a black jersey as a present) as the canes wear white at road games and I convinced myself that I have been wearing the wrong color.  So I wear that one instead.   So we played like crap (Brindy's words) in the first half of that game last night.  Finally, I am disgusted, and I start thinking about it.  We started playing great after Christmas and I haven't worn that crappy thing since then.  Also it has 10 years of no playoff making stink on it, wearing it to home games all that time.  Sure it won the cup in 2006 but now its just a boat anchor.  So I rip it off to show my "Bunch of Jerks" tshirt underneath and go with that.  After all I figure we started as jerks, we should all go down as jerks, together.

I also hadn't eaten yet so I didn't even think about it but I put some chicken in the oven during a commercial and started cooking it up...  All of a sudden the Canes start coming back.  We end the period down 3-2.

But we really start playing better in the 3rd and in the OTs when I am munching on the Oven Chicken.  It is literally true I ate the last piece just before the McGinn goal.  I view this as total mojo victory.  I pieced it together and we triumphed.

Shared this with a friend and he said:

Was Ovechkin skating around like "is it getting hot in here or is it just me?"

"Man, it feels like an oven in here."
"And what's that smell? Smells like an old jersey from last December. Anyone else smell that?"  

Edited by hag65

Well I been wearing my helmet inside the arena for the home games. Decided to wear it for the game last night. After 2 goals against realized it was bad mojo at home. Not to have with me but to wear it.  Also had my horn , Hedican gloves and bag with all game cards and towels from the home games. Wife and I realized after the win we each had 2 quarters in our pockets. One for each win.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, hag65 said:

Ok, I feel like typing...

Cup run 2002 I had the flags up in my old Ford Ranger which had no AC.  Problem is, I also had a lucky sweatshirt I wore for gamedays (actually mentioned in my post above as "ancient mojo" which I used for the clinching game this season).  So it's a pickup with only 2 windows, I can't put the windows down because I have the flags up, and I am wearing a sweatshirt in NC and we are making a deep run into June and it's like 110 in the damn truck.  But I didn't dare change it up.  I'm driving to work in the office on gamedays in a sweatshirt in June, walking in drenched in sweat.  Somehow people understood though.

My 2006 flags story is, I had them up in my Accord and I was driving everywhere with them of course, can't take them down.   At this point we are in the Finals, driving down a country road at 55mph and my wife puts the window down and there goes the flag.  She looks at me with terror because she knows dang well if we don't win the cup she is seriously going to never live it down.   I find a place to turn around and we go back for the flag, I can see in the distance someone has already pulled over and is climbing back into their car with my flag!  I come up to them honking the horn as they pull away and luckily they stop.  I get out and explain that they should hand it over or we will not win the cup and they oblige.  My wife replaces it on the window and we continue on, stealing a glance at me from time to time, clearly still worried that she is a goner.

Luckily we win, and we never have to find out what her fate would have been.

My 2006 flags are on the benz now and will be on the truck tailgating Friday afternoon. Let's Go Canes!!

My new mojo item. Puck from Greensboro days.  Let’s see more mojo pics

912F12A2-F265-4FA8-B345-984E195063EF.jpeg

Getting ready for last night's game I found a new Stihl hat where I left my lucky, supposedly "nasty" old one.

Mrs. Whaler sure got one over on me. I should have known better but the way I see it, it's the perfect opportunity to buy another jersey, or two, to hopefully sooth the sentimental distress.

:D

I'm glad there is enough good mojo going around without my help. Keep it up guys.

• Like 2

My barber shop has a lot of sports stuff and other assorted junk displayed. They have a few old Canes items like some old Hardee's bobbleheads.  In round 1, I dug through my stuff and donated a few promotional items for them to display.  Since it worked, I took them a few things for round 2. I'm not saying I'm superstitious, but why take a chance.