The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes at Flyers: Last Game, PrePlay-off Positioning Game, 7PM

hurricanes

SO NICE that making the playoffs did not come down to the last game. Last time that happened, it was not pretty. 

But positioning is still at stake. I would still prefer WC1 and Washington over Tampa, but that is definitely a "pick your poison" proposition. We get Washington if we win this, and Pittsburgh wins. At this point though we could end up with the Islanders. And despite how well they've played, that would be close to a "pick'em" series where we would not be picked to get blown out. That would be nice.

OK, it's a bit of a long shot, because Pittsburgh is at home and the Rangers are looking at tee times, and we'd have to win too, but you never know, and that would be the best outcome. 

Anyway, might as well win this one, even if just to keep rolling into the playoffs.

I'll be interested to see how the team shows up. This is the first game that the massive "make or break" pressure is off, but there's still something to play for. It could set up and ideal situation of a loose but motivated team. When this team plays loose but dialed in, they can be pretty impressive. It could be some good muscle memory if they can play a game like that right before the playoffs. 

Anyways, I can finally "sit back and enjoy this one"!

Part of me says dress the boys in bubble wrap and get ready for the playoffs. The other part, the realistic part says go all out for the win and grab the best playoff position possible. Grab the win and let the chips fall where they may. Garb the momentum and carry it into the playoffs. No matter what happens tonight we are in and that is satisfaction enough.

One game at a time. One point (2) at a time.

I would absolutely roll 4 lines. I'd also be temped to start McE in net to get him a start before playoffs. But short of calling people up there's really no way to rest more than one guy. OK, if Aho or someone is nursing something bad, I'd rest them. Otherwise, I'd just roll them out there and tell them to have fun.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

'd also be temped to start McE

Me too. McE deserves the game and Zek deserves the rest. I would also give Maenalanen ice today. We will need all hands on deck in the playoffs. Whatever Brindy decides is alright with me. You can't argue with success.

• Like 1

Let Mac have the start cause it's the last time you're resting Mrazek for a while.

This games somewhat a win win if you try to find a way to pull positives. Win...yippie. But if they have the letdown that I somewhat see as possible after such a jubilant win Roddy and Willy get to *edit* them off and get their minds right for the real deal without losing Game 1 to do it. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I would also give Maenalanen ice today. 

I agree, but I would hate to take Foegele out. The boy is feeling it, and I like him to keep rolling. Maybe rest someone else.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong here but my take on who we'd play if:

Tampa:

We lose and Columbus wins or loses in OT. 

Washington:

We win and Pittsburgh wins/loses OT or 

We lose (regulation or OT) and Columbus loses in regulation. 

We and Columbus both get an OT loser point.

NY Islanders:

We win and Pittsburgh loses in regulation.

This is the potential letdown game of all time.  As much as we want them to play their keesters off to get a higher playoff position, it won't surprise me if we lay a major egg.  And I won't blame them either.

You never know though, this team doesn't take too many breaks so maybe they will play it hard.

I'm not sure I want skilled heavy and fast Caps over skilled and fast TB anyway.  I feel like clutch and grab playoff hockey will slow down TB a bit.  Caps are made for heavy playoff game mode.  I would love Isle but that's a longshot anyway.

• Like 2

Of course I want us to win but I’m happy I won’t have to feel so nervous. That will begin again next week. Go Canes! 

27 minutes ago, hag65 said:

it won't surprise me if we lay a major egg.

The Rig's questions led them to it, but both Willy and Marty (I think?) said how much tougher than playoff hockey the last three months have been, only b/c there was no room for error. Then again, I could see the guys buying into wrapping up on a three-game win streak.

I think it could come down to who Rod feels better about playing in the first round. I'm with you that, despite their record, style-for-style TBL seems more vulnerable against us than the Caps do, but at the same time I'd love to take out the champs in Round One. 

We need this win. Keep our focus and the good vibes going. I want no part of the TB juggernaut. It would be great if the stars aligned and we got the Isles, but failing that, I’ll take the Caps, even though they are defending champs.

Mrazek seems to have taken the crease, but part of his success has been sharing the load with McE, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Curtis gets the call. If Aho has been fighting an injury as we all suspect, I would not be surprised if he gets a rest as well. The last 10 games he has not dominated as he did earlier, and I believe we can win without him. I trust Rod to make the right calls on all personnel decisions. Philly has lost 4 straight, and has every reason to mail it in tonight. Just win and make one last statement before the real fun starts.

Edited by bluedevilcane

15 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think it could come down to who Rod feels better about playing in the first round. I'm with you that, despite their record, style-for-style TBL seems more vulnerable against us than the Caps do, but at the same time I'd love to take out the champs in Round One. 

I do think if the Canes face TBL, there's a better chance of the crowd being louder for Canes goals than for the opposition.  If they face the Caps, it's going to be noisy for both teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Mrazek seems to have taken the crease, but part of his success has been sharing the load with McE, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Curtis gets the call.

There's also the Philly factor. The only thing dirtier than Bobby Clarke as a player is Bob Clarke the Flyers' exec. I could totally see him telling somebody to take Petr out since the Flyers did not get this version during the playoffs last year.

I know, I know, conspiracy theorist. But I grew up in Philly and have watched Clarkie operate for too long. There's no way I even take the chance.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Let Mac have the start cause it's the last time you're resting Mrazek for a while.

This games somewhat a win win if you try to find a way to pull positives. Win...yippie. But if they have the letdown that I somewhat see as possible after such a jubilant win Roddy and Willy get to *edit* them off and get their minds right for the real deal without losing Game 1 to do it. Just my opinion.

I read the above and almost spit out my drink. :lol:  Did you mean "*edit* them out" instead of "*edit* them off"?  Cause the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that isn't what I think you meant, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I read the above and almost spit out my drink. :lol:  Did you mean "*edit* at them" instead of "*edit* them off"?  Cause the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that isn't what I think you meant, lol.

That's one way for Roddy and Willy straight to HR and not pass go. That is funny.

After a year full of successes, the downfall was the odd way the Coach tried to get the team up for the game.

Female dog, female dog is what I was editted out of.

• Like 2

Oh, and I'm down with Mac in net, Aho resting if he's nursing much more than a hangnail, and Maenalanen back in for this one.  If Aho plays, rest Wallmark or McKegg; Martinook can slide back into a center spot for a game imo.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

That's one way for Roddy and Willy straight to HR and not pass go. That is funny.

After a year full of successes, the downfall was the odd way the Coach tried to get the team up for the game.

Female dog, female dog is what I was editted out of.

Ok, "*edit* them out" would have gotten me there as compared to "*edit* them off".  :grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

26 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Oh, and I'm down with Mac in net, Aho resting if he's nursing much more than a hangnail, and Maenalanen back in for this one.  If Aho plays, rest Wallmark or McKegg; Martinook can slide back into a center spot for a game imo.

It would also be a good chance to see Maenalanen at C. He played it in Finland and a little in preseason as I recall. Talk about an immovable object in the slot.

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

If it works, let the Storm Squad girls *edit* them off 

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I do think if the Canes face TBL, there's a better chance of the crowd being louder for Canes goals than for the opposition.  If they face the Caps, it's going to be noisy for both teams.

the home games are practically sold out. I do not think you are gonna have away team fans buying many tickets 

Edited by EyeOfTheStorm

20 minutes ago, EyeOfTheStorm said:

the home games are practically sold out. I do not think you are gonna have away team fans buying many tickets 

A fair number surely went to scalpers. Who ever we play, you might be surprised. Don't forget how many Oilers fans made the trip for the '06 final. And TB and DC are waaaaaay closer.

20 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

A fair number surely went to scalpers. Who ever we play, you might be surprised. Don't forget how many Oilers fans made the trip for the '06 final. And TB and DC are waaaaaay closer.

Always scalpers..but usually first 2 rounds 90% home team,, its round 3-4 where prices get much higher and the dedicated make road trips.. saw that in 2006 and 2001

8 hours ago, remkin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but my take on who we'd play if:

Tampa:

We lose and Columbus wins or loses in OT. 

Washington:

We win and Pittsburgh wins/loses OT or 

We lose (regulation or OT) and Columbus loses in regulation. 

We and Columbus both get an OT loser point.

NY Islanders:

We win and Pittsburgh loses in regulation.

after missing the playoff for the past 10 years I can care less who the canes play 

• Like 1