The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
winger52

Don Cherry Charity

Don Cherry brought the spotlight to the surge and our successful playoff push. I think he also helped the with our team cohesiveness and brought the team together to keep the fans interested in our results. Don has been well known throughout Canada for his charitable work. I think the team, or our owner,  should make a contribution to one of Don's charities to show no hard feelings and a big Thank You from a " Bunch of Jerks "

Thanks Canes and Caniacs for an enjoyable season!  Now make the playoffs memorable.

• Like 1

I heard that he said that the only reason we made the playoffs was because of McElhinney, and that we will probably start “that other guy” instead.

What an idiotic *edit*. It’s one thing to be patriotic, but this clown doesn’t even try to hide his prejudice.

• Like 2

For the first home playoff game, the Jerks should come out for warmup in jerseys all made up like Cherry's suit jackets.  Raffle them off, and all the money goes to the Kids and Communities Foundation that the Canes support.  Poke a stick in Cherry's eye, but make some good come out of it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

For the first home playoff game, the Jerks should come out for warmup in jerseys all made up like Cherry's suit jackets.  Raffle them off, and all the money goes to the Kids and Communities Foundation that the Canes support.  Poke a stick in Cherry's eye, but make some good come out of it.

Or just have them all show up to the arena wearing the jackets. A red carpet event.

• Like 3

If they did the jerseys, they could have the players and Cherry autograph each.  They could split the proceeds of the auctions between K&C and a Cherry charity.  I really think it would be cool, and would garner a lot of press.  You can't pay enough for publicity like this, and it would not cost them a lot to do this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

If they did the jerseys, they could have the players and Cherry autograph each.  They could split the proceeds of the auctions between K&C and a Cherry charity.  I really think it would be cool, and would garner a lot of press.  You can't pay enough for publicity like this, and it would not cost them a lot to do this.

Now *that* might be a sweater that I would bid on.....

• Like 1

while a nice idea, think the canes have much bigger things to focus on right now- Same reason williams and company stopped the surge- time of year for 100% of time dedicated to next playoff game. Don't need to waste the time, signing, media questions/pic's etc on something like this imo

What canes 2017 said.  I say put the real jerk in the rear view and focus only on winning. He’s craves attention , don’t provide any.

Edited by cc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

...all the money goes to the Kids and Communities Foundation that the Canes support. 

Just a note that the Cane’s charitable group is now simply called “Carolina Hurricanes Foundation” instead of the Kids ‘n Communities  Foundation.  I guess the name change happened this season, I didn’t realize it myself until we made a donation at a recent Cool Bars event.

2 hours ago, canes2017 said:

while a nice idea, think the canes have much bigger things to focus on right now- Same reason williams and company stopped the surge- time of year for 100% of time dedicated to next playoff game. Don't need to waste the time, signing, media questions/pic's etc on something like this imo

Seriously?  How much time would this take?  Some intern could do all the work.  How long would it take the players to sign them?  The organization could put out a statement, and say it's a one off for charity and the team wants to give something back.  The players wouldn't have to answer questions.  The only issue would be the jersey change after warmups, but they ditch their jerseys at intermission, so I imagine they do after warmup.  

There may may be some league stipulations though.

• Like 1

We shall agree to disagree that there would be be no media questions and if players didn't answer just makes the media ask more FWIW.. before during and esp after about it..Media would ask the" why" ask if liked it etc etc.. Its just IMO a distraction the team doesn't need. As said same reason they stopped the surge

2 hours ago, canes2017 said:

We shall agree to disagree that there would be be no media questions and if players didn't answer just makes the media ask more FWIW.. before during and esp after about it..Media would ask the" why" ask if liked it etc etc.. Its just IMO a distraction the team doesn't need. As said same reason they stopped the surge

Are we isolating them from friends and family also? How about slump busters?

37 minutes ago, winger52 said:

Slump busters are always welcome. They need love too

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, winger52 said:

Nope friends and family great- Just saying the idea is to FOCUS on just hockey and lessen, not add any distractions, hence why not doing the Surge anymore. 

11 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Nope friends and family great- Just saying the idea is to FOCUS on just hockey and lessen, not add any distractions, hence why not doing the Surge anymore. 

Actual, successful orgs - and Dundon has run a couple - are able to do several things at once. I get that PK never figured it out, but born marketer that he is, I think figuring out how to have fun at Cherry's expense, and to benefit a good cause, is well within his skill set.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Actual, successful orgs - and Dundon has run a couple - are able to do several things at once. I get that PK never figured it out, but born marketer that he is, I think figuring out how to have fun at Cherry's expense, and to benefit a good cause, is well within his skill set.

Actually Most successful organization keep FOCUSED ON GOALS.. which is winning and playing hockey for the Hurricanes.. NOT having fun at an over-the-hill Announcer to please some fans that think it would be funny.. But to each his own. You can donate to said charity with each win.. And that will still benefit a good cause, just saying

12 hours ago, canes2017 said:

Actually Most successful organization keep FOCUSED ON GOALS.. which is winning and playing hockey for the Hurricanes.. NOT having fun at an over-the-hill Announcer to please some fans that think it would be funny.. But to each his own. You can donate to said charity with each win.. And that will still benefit a good cause, just saying

And based on what you've said about successful organizations, it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. Just sayin'...

• Like 4

Rolling eyes.. Always find when someone needs to personally insult another poster- it is because they know have lost the argument. Have fun with the insults.

The idea of the jacket thing is hilarious. I kind of wish they'd have done it during the regular season. Just really a great idea.

But in reality, it won't happen. Just my opinion, but not just because they need to look (and be) focused on the playoffs (the fall off of the surges at the end evidence this), but also in the "public opinion, hockey politics" of it all, they've played it perfectly. Just enough self-effacing ribbing of Cherry's comments without attacking him personally has flipped it all onto Cherry. 95% of the public and hockey world take our side and already think Cherry was the jerk. Doing something like that could flip that, and really backfire as piling on a guy who lost the fight already.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

The idea of the jacket thing is hilarious. I kind of wish they'd have done it during the regular season. Just really a great idea.

But in reality, it won't happen. Just my opinion, but not just because they need to look (and be) focused on the playoffs (the fall off of the surges at the end evidence this)

If When we win a series, believe me: The surge will be back. Plus, it's incentive to steal a game early and close out at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

If When we win a series, believe me: The surge will be back. Plus, it's incentive to steal a game early and close out at home.

I'm all in on that. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 4:17 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

No surge after game 6 or 7..

it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. Just sayin'... Cheers!

Edited by canes2017

1 hour ago, canes2017 said:

No surge after game 6 or 7..

it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. Just sayin'... Cheers!

Of course they're not going to surge in the Caps' barn, and they wouldn't do it at home with the series not finished.

So... who doesn't know what they're talking about, again? (And by the way, hang onto stuff, much?)