The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
winger52

Don Cherry Charity

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the Canes advance to the Stanley Cup Finals and Cherry comes to Raleigh.   I know what will happen.  He will witness the firepower of a fully armed and operational battle station.  I bet we can hit 120 decibles on his donkey.

The first shirt was excellent.  This one has a 'been there done that' feel to it, JMO.  A '48 Second of Pretty Good Hockey' t-shirt perhaps or Hamilton patting Nelson's head, but Cherry's Hurricane rants are old news by now... don't validate his relevancy by making a new shirt of everything he says.  Again, JMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think its a little lazy and they could have made a new shirt.  

Well, I thought it was pretty clever.  Cherry's first rant was referring to the team as jerks, this more recent rant is really directed to the fans as being jerks so thought this addition tied it all together nicely.

I'm sure Cherry will be turning his ire toward Stormy and Hamilton the pig next...so maybe Canes marketing can be more creative with those! 😉

Hamilton the pig should be named the Carolina Hurricanes #1 front-running fan. After all he brings his own bandwagon.

Hamilton.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Canes marketing with another home run...er, hat trick.  They modified the Bunch of Jerks t-shirt to say “Bunch of Front Running Jerks”!  Available soon at The Eye. 😂😂😂

Mrs. Wxray, upon seeing this, said: "Canes marketing needs to start a 'Frontrunners STM ticket drive'".  I think she has a good idea!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Hamilton the pig should be named the Carolina Hurricanes #1 front-running fan. After all he brings his own bandwagon.

Hamilton.jpg

I sense a Post of the Week!

• Like 2

Some opposing fans and media continue to suggest that the whole post game thing was to get attention. I can't say whether that was part of it or not, but it clearly has gotten attention. Really, at this point, it is the main talking point aside from the removal of the favorites and the early success of the Wild Card teams. 

But the effect of these celebrations for this team, while big, is not the league attention. Those nudniks don't buy tickets. The affect is what the thing was designed for in the first place. To build a bond between the team and the fans. J Willy has said this from the very start. And despite Don Cherry's protestations to the opposite, it HAS worked. There is no question that the top thing is winning. Cherry is right about that. But he's wrong to underestimate the bonding effect this has had with the fans. And he wouldn't know because you really have to be here, and have BEEN here in the past 10 years to see and feel it. But I contend that yes, winning is the biggest engine to improved season ticket sales, but those celebrations were the turbo charger. 

In past years the team was a bit aloof and separated from the fan base after games. Even after wins, for many years they would congratulate the goalie, and each other, and then just skate off the ice. Not even a stick wave. Naturally, as a fan, I'm heading to the parking lot in the last few seconds to get out and home. Why not? So I can not miss the three stars skate out? Meh. But I'm not the only one. If one did stay for the three stars, it was with about 3 fans.  

But this year, something changed. And BTW the idea put forth by some that this was some sort of cynical attempt to compete with the Vegas show is just clueless. This thing grew organically. It was supposed to be a version of the skoal clap and skate to the boards that a European team did. That was it. But they someone thought to throw in a fake one way and skate the other way. Then all directions at once. Then....this thing built. And as it built more and more fans stayed after the game to "celebrate" the victory with the team, and partly to see what the new celly would look like. Towards the end of the year, almost no one left the arena before the team celebrated the win for the fans. This was revolutionary around here. Not sure if other teams fans stick in the building long after the win, but I doubt it. 

As someone who's been going to that building for over 14 years at least 14 times/year, this is a whole new thing that goes beyond the winning. This is an unusual bond between fans and players. I don't know that it can keep up like this, but I do know that's what we have right now. And the loudest building in the NHL playoffs full of rabid fans IS partly due to that. In fact, if a lot of that is "front running" fans, then by definition they came on board this year, which is the only year that the building has been full long after games as fans and team bond with the celebrations.  

Cherry is right that this is not traditional. He's wrong that it didn't work for the team and the fanbase. Maybe it brings attention to the league, maybe "the NHL" doesn't care for it. But the talking heads are dead wrong that this was a cheap stunt to get league wide attention anyways. This is not for them. This was a stunt, but one designed to bond the team and fans. And man did it ever work. 

Go Jerks!

• Like 6