The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hag65

Washington Capitals @ Carolina Hurricanes, Game 4; Thursday, April 18th, 2019 at 7PM

image.png.4b0f742e2dc3cd553d697ae53f5a8e94.png

image.png.c04bf2fca62fc0c823c07fb55da55bfb.png   vs      alex-ovechkin-keg-stand-swims-in-fountai

Thursday April 18th, at 6:30pm? 7pm?  7:30pm?

TV:  Fox Sports Carolina, NBCSN 

Radio:  99.9 FM the Fan

Parking_temp.JPG

Live From the PNC Parking Lot We Proudly Present

Canes Cold Ones

with
Hag and The Big Guy

<STAGE> Hag and the Big Guy have set up their tailgating spot, moving their couch and full set under a shady tree on the grass berm of the parking lot.  The lot is otherwise empty, being that the game isn't for another 28 hours.

HAG: Welcome to our latest episode.  With me as always is The Big Guy.    

HAG: <pauses a moment>    Well.... I'm waiting...    Aren't you going to ask for a beer?  

BIG GUY:  Nope.  I brought my own. 

<The Big Guy reaches over and wheels a large cooler to his side within reach.  Opens it and pulls out a bottle, deftly opens the beer with the swift motion of an accomplished veteran and takes a long swig >

BIG GUY:  Ahhh...Sweet Josie.  3 to 1.

HAG: WHAT?!?  Since when do you bring your own beer?  You are usually a freeloader.

BIG GUY: Since today.  And what a glorious day it is.  The Canes are in the playoffs, the Caniac Nation is back, and we whupped the Caps @#$  5 to nothing.

HAG:   So true.  Let's talk about that building.  I rewatched the game on my DVR last night.  Let me tell you, the building was rocking but the TV broadcast can't do justice to how it really was in there.  I have to tell you, it was as loud as it has ever been in there, and I mean ever.  I'm not saying it was louder than Game 7 2006, but I AM saying it was AS LOUD as that game.  I really have no explanation other than to say it was a 10 year catharsis.  A group of people that had sat there in games with 4000 people, buildings three quarters full but half of them being Boston fans.  People having to listen to the endless talk of how southern hockey doesn't belong, spoken by snarky recent transplants who have no idea how we can be when we have something to cheer about.  So 10 years all of that builds up and in one glorious night it all comes out in one amazing outpouring of emotion and it literally lifts the team onto another plane of existence.

BIG GUY: <pulls another beer out of the cooler, opens and quaffs>  I'll drink to that!  Chopshop IPA, 8 to 5.

HAG:   So for one night, we were definitely the best team in the NHL.  No one beats us in that game.  No one.   So now we know, we CAN BE the best team.  We just need to go out there and do it again.  And again.  And again...

BIG GUY: <pulls another beer out of the cooler>  Amazing point, truly.   CBC Hop Roar.  5 to 3.

HAG:   So these guys beat us 6 times in a row, and you see the games are all close... what is the story?  I have to make an analogy, it's like one of those old 1980's side scrolling video games, you know the type.  You are pouring quarters in there and you are great at the game, then you get to this point in the game where you always die.  You are like, "dang, I am good at this, why can't I beat this thing, I'm good at this dang game"  and you keep trying, then all of a sudden you break through and get past that part, and then you know you can do it.  So now, you can do it every time.  It's still really hard to do, but there is a way, you found the way, now all you gotta do it pull it off.

BIG GUY: <pulls another beer out of the cooler>  You really are a geek, you know that?   What's your point?   Hoppy Ki Yay. 5 to 4.

HAG: <irritated>  Why do I always have to spell everything out for you in words of one syllable?   My point is that we have the formula of how to beat these guys now.  All we need to do is to go out there and do it again.  It's really hard to do, but we can do it. 

BIG GUY:  Ok, I get it I get it.  I hope we have enough physically to keep this up.  It really was an amazing brand of hockey to witness.  I guess we can put the Candy Canes myth to rest for once and for all.

HAG: Agreed.  I just hope the kid is alright after that ill-advised scrap.

BIG GUY:  Svech wasn't ready.

HAG:  I don't want to dwell on that fight, but everyone knew going in that Ovenchicken is a lunatic.

BIG GUY:  I have a general policy that I live by.  I don't get into fights with anyone who does keg stands and swims in a fountain.  That indicates a credible form of psycho level that should not be messed with.

HAG:  I give props to the kid for standing up for himself.  In the future I would say, don't do it.  At least not without a season of martial arts classes, preferably taught on skates.

BIG GUY:  <pulls another beer out of the cooler>   Agreed.   Devils Tramping Ground Tripel,  3 to 1 

HAG: <irritated again>  What are those numbers you keep saying after you name your beers?  At first I thought it was alcohol content but I happen to know that Devils Tramping Ground is over 9%

BIG GUY:  They are scores.  I know you are big time into mojo.  Like what did you do before the game on Monday?

HAG:  It was desperate times requiring desperate measures.  I pulled out all the stops.  I was taking my Mom and Dad to the game with me, their first playoff game by the way, at age 79 and 77.  So before the game I brought out the Brindy bobblehead and made them rub his head and give him a pep talk.

BIG GUY:  You're kidding me.

HAG:  I kid you not.  They both gave him a supportive speech.  Then I brought out my tattered car flags from the 2006 playoffs and they had to rub them too.  Then the flags went on the mantle with Brindy between them, faced towards the TV so he could watch the game of course.  Left the game on for him.

BIG GUY:  You're a psycho too.  But the thing is, it worked, so now you gotta keep doing it.

HAG:  Of course.

BIG GUY:  Well, with all of your success, I thought it through, and tried to come up with something I could do, you know.... for the team.

HAG:  And???

BIG GUY:  Well, you know I have my beer log.

HAG:  Beer log???

BIG GUY:  Yeah.  I log all of my beers.  They have apps for it, you know?  So I have record of every beer I have been drinking for every win the Canes have had this season...

HAG:  You can't mean what I think you mean...  the Canes won 46 games this season!   You can't drink 46 beers before the game...

BIG GUY:  Why do you think we are here a day early?

<A pickup truck comes across the parking lot and pull up to the boys.  SuperDave emerges from the cab of the truck, lowers the tailgate and rolls a half keg of beer out of the truck>

SUPER DAVE:  Hey Big Guy.  I've got your half of "Pabst Blue Ribbon" here, in spite of wondering why in the world anyone on God's green earth would want such a thing.

BIG GUY:  Well, I needed something to celebrate that Thursday game when I was sure we would clinch our playoff berth, and the only thing I could find on short notice was a keg of PBR.

HAG:  You don't intend to drink that whole thing...

BIG GUY:  All I can say is, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.  For the team.  FOR VICTORY.

HAG: <facepalms>

<fade to black>

DISCLAIMER:

CANES PA ANNOUNCER H. WADE MINTER:  The preceding dramatization was for humor purposes only.  Hag and the Big Guy do not condone, nor condemn the use of adult beverages in your own pregame and postgame celebrations.  They do ask that you act responsibly.  This specifically means as Caniacs, you have a responsibility to the team first.  You are responsible for presenting yourself into the PNC arena in tip top condition to do your part.  Your part consists of generating noise which can be converted directly into palpable motivation to the team.  In particular, players such as Dougie Hamilton, Martinook, Foegele and Mrazek have made reference to feeding off of the crowd.  So it is your responsibility to be at 100% for the team.  If your throat is not bleeding you are probably not doing enough.  A good rule of thumb is, if you can still hear me announcing, you need to step it up another notch.  Don't make me send Rod over to your seat to give you a tongue lashing like he gave the refs in Game 2.  I am pretty sure most people looking into that face would wither and die.  So let's do this people.          Just win.

• Like 15

My throat is on the mend.  I think it needs to be treated with Tincture of Crown Royal. 

We are within 24 hours.  Time to Rock the PNC.

image.thumb.png.8b8ddd4abb64009662db847896e1d640.pngimage.thumb.png.d16bd6e55a5addb8a12bcc759a7ebe96.png

Edited by cc
  • Like 3

Great job, Hag.  The Big Guy does a good job branching out with different beers.  I don't have a complicated beer log, but I have a beer pole.

IMG_1295.thumb.JPG.417b539e9fb1696ee7a8fbf26c81b03a.JPG

Any time I drink a different beer, the cap gets nailed to the pole.  About 250 on it.  I haven't figured out a way to properly memorialize draft beers, but I'm working on it.  Whenever I retire and move from this house (kids gone and too much house), that pole will come with me.  It's my life's work.

I missed Monday, but will be there Thursday.  Tailgating starting noonish.  I hope I get s show as good as game 3. I expect a strong pushback from Washington after the Jerks made them their *edit* on Monday.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Great job, Hag.  The Big Guy does a good job branching out with different beers.  I don't have a complicated beer log, but I have a beer pole.

Any time I drink a different beer, the cap gets nailed to the pole.  About 250 on it.  I haven't figured out a way to properly memorialize draft beers, but I'm working on it.  Whenever I retire and move from this house (kids gone and too much house), that pole will come with me.  It's my life's work.

I missed Monday, but will be there Thursday.  Tailgating starting noonish.  I hope I get s show as good as game 3. I expect a strong pushback from Washington after the Jerks made them their *edit* on Monday.

Support your local breweries so that we may never return to the oppression and dark ages of one taste fits all.

• Like 7

Another classic from Hag and the Big Man. Well done!

Pierre McGuirre was on XM and talked about what a huge factor the crowd was. Huge advantage getting the lead for once. I love our chances if we get the first goal and get the crowd back to full force. He also mentioned that the key would be containing their top line. Duh, but he did make the point that those guys had chances early. 

We need to rally behind young Svech's Martyrdom and come full force because we are going to miss him. He was one of, if not the most consistent threats out there. Foegele needs to stay at his level and it would help if Nino, who has played well, can find the twine. A big game from the Fins would also help. I assume we keep riding Mragic. 

I will be there again (and for all of them). A repeat would be nice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cc said:

My throat is on the mend.  I think it needs to be treated with Tincture of Crown Royal. 

We are within 24 hours.  Time to Rock the PNC.

image.thumb.png.8b8ddd4abb64009662db847896e1d640.pngimage.thumb.png.d16bd6e55a5addb8a12bcc759a7ebe96.png

It’s nice to have hoarse throats and lost voices in mid-April 🍻

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Love some BIG GUY.   Outstanding Hag.

Doin' it again tomorrow.  Dove poppers, yum.

I was hoping for Large Fella

• Like 1

Nino was definitely visible last game and I agree, it would be nice to find the twine.  I have a feeling the team will come out motivated tomorrow knowing that Svech won't be on the ice.  Sometimes missing a young player of his talent the way he went out inspires the team to play well and want to win the series for him.  That's why I think the fight will be the turning point for in the series for the good for Carolina.  I hope I'm right.

Oh, and can someone deck Tom Wilson tomorrow please?  I just watched an excerpt on NHL tonight when they talked about the game 4 preview and game 3 clips from Washington at Carolina.  Before I get to reason why I want him decked one of the analysts was saying that Carolina was definitely the faster team than Washington because we always got to the loose pucks in the corner.  More was said but this is basically all I could remember. 

Now, for the reason why I want someone to deck Tom Wilson.  After Svech got knocked out and helped off the ice Tom Wilson smiled over at BRINDAMOUR like it was funny.  Brindamour chirped back at him basically telling him it was not funny.  What disrespect!

I hope we win game 4 AND the series and if anything lets do it for Svech (if he's out for the playoffs because of the fight).  Now that the team knows it can beat Washington we should have a ton of confidence.  This is why I think the team will come out strong tomorrow.  Anything less than a good start tomorrow by the Canes will be inexcusable.  It is crucial they bring this series back to Washington tied.  The momentum is on OUR side, we can't let it swing to Washington's side.  Give them hell tomorrow Canes.

I expect the game to be an all out war like the last game.

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

For me, winner tomorrow takes the series.

This is EXACTLY why I think it's crucial we win tomorrow and come out strong because it will turn the tide of the WHOLE series IMO.  Hopefully the injury to our well respected and loved player Svech (players and coaches loved him) will inspire the team to come out and get a win for him.  Just like my previous post I hope I'm right because we all know Washington is going to come out with a big push tomorrow too.  We need to be ready for that.

3 hours ago, hag65 said:

Support your local breweries so that we may never return to the oppression and dark ages of one taste fits all.

EXCELLENT GDT, Hag, and a tip of the ol' beer cap to The Big Guy.

Maybe I'll break down and pick up one of the fine brews produced here....

https://prairieales.com/beers/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Love some BIG GUY.   Outstanding Hag.

Doin' it again tomorrow.  Dove poppers, yum.

Dove poppers....wrapped in bacon?. Jalapenos?

35 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I was hoping for Large Fella

Man of unusual Shape and Size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I keep a log of every brew I make with recipe and verdict. If it is disappointing it doesn't get added to the binder. Any variation of the recipe gets added as well for future brews.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hag65 said:

BIG GUY:  <pulls another beer out of the cooler>   Agreed.   Devils Tramping Ground Tripel,  3 to 1 

Aviator Brewery.... a staple at my bar.

Also the only time I've bought art....after about 4 of the Tripels. Worth it....I think....

20190417_200835.jpg20190417_200925.jpg

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

I’m still amazed they serve a high grav like this at a hockey game.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Dove poppers....wrapped in bacon?. Jalapenos?

All of the above.  Add a little cream cheese for extra pop.

Extra Warning:  They have also been in a dog's mouth.

Go Canes!

• Like 3

This game is the ultimate SHOW ME scenario. The punks that call themselves hockey fans and their goonish players are deep into the gorey elements of that fight, even stating that Brindamour instigated it by telling his players to ramp up the ugliness? Typical, totally don't know a thing about this team, Svech or Brindamour? The team is at a huge turning point which can truly solidify it, or else "go quietly into the night". And I further agree with many before on here, IF we can persevere in this game tonight, I have to believe the series is ours. And make no mistake, that bond between us fans and the players, forged by the Bunch of Punks celebrations of The Surge CAN become even more significant tonight thru the energy our players feed off of us when we are united in spirit and our patented noise level. That energy was palpable Monday night and although I cannot be there tonight, I'm sending 2 in our place to bring it. Please, please extend this so I can once again be amongst you all this coming Monday.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

This game is the ultimate SHOW ME scenario. The punks that call themselves hockey fans and their goonish players are deep into the gorey elements of that fight, even stating that Brindamour instigated it by telling his players to ramp up the ugliness? Typical, totally don't know a thing about this team, Svech or Brindamour? The team is at a huge turning point which can truly solidify it, or else "go quietly into the night". And I further agree with many before on here, IF we can persevere in this game tonight, I have to believe the series is ours. And make no mistake, that bond between us fans and the players, forged by the Bunch of Punks celebrations of The Surge CAN become even more significant tonight thru the energy our players feed off of us when we are united in spirit and our patented noise level. That energy was palpable Monday night and although I cannot be there tonight, I'm sending 2 in our place to bring it. Please, please extend this so I can once again be amongst you all this coming Monday.   

This is what I think.  IF we win tonight we take the series in 6, if we lose tonight we lose the series in 5.  We need to build off the win for game 3.  It all depends on the start by Mrazek.  In game 1 he was sharp after giving up the three goals and gave us a chance to come back.  In game 2 he gave up two quickies again but held strong until the OT loss (never watched game 2), and in game 3 he was good when he had to be because the Capitals had a really good push at the beginning of that game (7 shots in like the first 10 minutes) and almost scored first again until the first Foegele goal when the tide turned.

The team got off to a good start in Game 1 just could not get one by Holtby until the third period, don't know if we had a good start in game 2 and both teams had a good start in game 3 until we dented the scoreboard first.  So, this game rests on Mrazek.  If he gives up a quick goal or two it's going to be a long night, even though I know we can battle back because we've done it before this series.  If he plays how he did in game 3 and we score first again we have a shot.  Mrazek has 5 playoff wins and 4 are shutouts.  Not looking for a shutout again from him (although it would be nice), just a win.

That's why this game is so HUGE.  It might be the biggest game of the series after game 3.  It's imperative the team gets off to a strong start and weathers any push by Washington and Mrazek stays strong in net.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2