The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CharlieCoats

Anson Carter

I like A.C. a lot, but he really needs to stop pressing home how the Canes are so used to playing for a 'half empty arena' that they're thrilled to be playing in front of a very loud and full house.  They certainly drew better than half an arena once they got things sorted out after the new year.  Maybe he means well, but it really annoys me to hear him harping on this theme....tonight was the second time, though he may have mentioned it more than twice--I don't know.  It's been so satisfying to see the Canes get all the great attention and publicity they deserve this post-season; it's just kind of a shame Anson Carter has to spoil it with an unhelpful and not very accurate theme regarding attendance.  OK, I feel better now!

I thought I heard him say that.  I wasn't sure at the time. The game is on in the background, and I was half paying attention during the intermission. Just a silly comment. What purpose does that serve?

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

Maybe we should talk about the half empty uniform when he had a cup of coffee here.  Had nowhere near as much energy here as he did elsewhere.

• Like 2

It does point out that this matters to players. When we want to draw a big name UFA for instance, OR trade for a guy with a NTC, or to keep a guy facing UFA. To me this is a sign of how good things could be if we keep building. As the building fills, and the team wins, it will be easier to add this or that piece and keep guys here. Yes, the team needs to be built mainly through the draft, but adding pieces has been a challenging area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

...adding pieces has been a challenging area

Especially on us.  Canes did ok this year getting Martinook, dropping McGinn to 3rd and nursing rookies along mostly on lines 3 and 4 until recently.  However, getting seasoned vets (or at least 1) to anchor those guys should be a top priority.  Those depth players won't break the budget, but cost more.  That spend is needed.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2019 at 8:22 AM, Manwolf said:

Maybe we should talk about the half empty uniform when he had a cup of coffee here.  Had nowhere near as much energy here as he did elsewhere.

I have to say I have just about zero recollection of AC ever even having played for the Canes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieCoats said:

I have to say I have just about zero recollection of AC ever even having played for the Canes.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

He played for us?? Lol and I swear I'm not being sarcastic. 

It's no wonder you don't remember.

10 games at the end of the 2006-07 season (don't want to remember that one, anyway), grand total of one goal, no assists and two penalty minutes.

In 2007-08, he was released from a tryout with the Oilers (he'd played for them for a couple of seasons), then played 15 games in Switzerland before calling it quits.

He had a decent career elsewhere (600+ games in the NHL, 200+ goals and 200+ assists). Hurricanes got him at the tail-end....

3 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

It's no wonder you don't remember.

10 games at the end of the 2006-07 season (don't want to remember that one, anyway), grand total of one goal, no assists and two penalty minutes.

In 2007-08, he was released from a tryout with the Oilers (he'd played for them for a couple of seasons), then played 15 games in Switzerland before calling it quits.

He had a decent career elsewhere (600+ games in the NHL, 200+ goals and 200+ assists). Hurricanes got him at the tail-end....

The one goal was a beauty, though.

2 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

The one goal was a beauty, though.

I have no doubt. For a 10th-round pick, a 674 game/202 goal/219 assist/229 penalty minutes career is pretty darn good. He had some talent....

16 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I have no doubt. For a 10th-round pick, a 674 game/202 goal/219 assist/229 penalty minutes career is pretty darn good. He had some talent....

That is a surprisingly good career!

It was just so irritating that he kept hitting on the low attendance thing as if he were picking a scab.....I wanted to reach through the TV and give him a good slash or cross check!

6 hours ago, CharlieCoats said:

That is a surprisingly good career!

It was just so irritating that he kept hitting on the low attendance thing as if he were picking a scab.....I wanted to reach through the TV and give him a good slash or cross check!

I don't get it, either. The Hurricanes went 31-12-2 from New Year's Eve to the end of the regular season with basically the same attendance, right? It didn't seem to affect the players one way or another, did it? Maybe AC was channelling the Canadian fans or the fans of the Northeast teams, who seem to show up for their team's games even if they're having a bad year.

I think a lot if the attendance thing has to do with psychology and geography. I only know about a part of the Midwest, really, having grown up bouncing between western PA, Ohio, West Virginia and Southeast Michigan, but it seems like there, people are more invested in their "local" pro team - heck, even my maternal grandmother was a Pirates fan way back when. In North Carolina (and, to an extent here in OK as well), there's more attention paid to college sports for whatever reason.

Oh well.