The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

DW leaving as GM this summer?

Listening to NHL satellite radio (Alberga/Pagngotta)  just now on the news that Ken Holland is gonna be the Oilers new GM, and they said that Carolina will be looking for a new GM this summer as DW is looking to move on.  

Where in the hell did they get that info from, cause that’s the first I’ve ever heard of it?

I know Eklund is considered unreliable, but he wrote an update about 10 days ago about who were the likely candidates for Seattle and other GM openings, and he listed several candidates for the Carolina GM job very matter of factly, as though it was a foregone conclusion that the job would be available. DW professed not to be interested in the job last summer. Maybe he just agreed to take it for a year while Dundon got his feet wet. Also, if he planned to leave, the deep playoff run might make him reconsider. I’m pretty sure he would stay involved with the team, probably in the capacity he held under PK, even if he gives up the GM gig. I do think we would have a lot more interest in the job now after the success we’ve had this year. A year ago, aside from rumors that Dundon wasn’t offering enough money, the Canes job might have been seen by some as a career killer.