The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

To do list:

1. Find someone...ANYONE...who can actually coach a power play.  PK skills a bonus after this ECF disaster.

2. Re-up both goalies.  IMO, Pete for 4x$6M, Mac for 2x$2.5M.  Buy out Mongo while we’re at it.

3. Trade for a CONSISTENT scorer.  I’d dangle Faulk and Fleury as bait.  

4. Re-up J-Willy on a 1-2 year contract. He still has gas in the tank.

5. Pay Seabass!

• Like 1

Also, thanks Ferls for helping us get to the dance...here’s our gratitude and best wishes on your free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

2. Re-up both goalies.  IMO, Pete for 4x$6M, Mac for 2x$2.5M.  Buy out Mongo while we’re at it.

Not knocking either goalie because they were great for us, but I think we still need to be looking for an upgrade in net if available. And do we need to buy out Mongo if he is still on a leave of absence?

Just now, DevildogKodi said:

Not knocking either goalie because they were great for us, but I think we still need to be looking for an upgrade in net if available. And do we need to buy out Mongo if he is still on a leave of absence?

There is none.  Why mess with what has worked wonderfully for us this season?

We need at least two good top 9 forwards. Maybe three if Ferland is gone and Williams is done.

What worries me is that HCRB praises Wallmark and McKegg quite a bit and he said recently that he doesn’t see McKegg going back down (he is now a full-time NHLer). I think Wallmark is a fourth-line center or an AHLer.

If our centers are Aho, Staal, Wallmark, and McKegg again that would worry me...a lot.

We need to find a significant upgrade at center, and we need to find a high-end winger.

Our forward group simply isn’t good enough. Too many fourth-liners and fringe NHL players, but we knew this already.

The good news is that we don’t have to worry about defense. We’ve shown that  we are close and now it is time to take more steps towards going for it.

I just pray this run doesn’t mean “we like our group” already.

I know this is way too early to be worrying about this, just throwing out initial thoughts to distract me from the sweep.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

If our centers are Aho, Staal, Wallmark, and McKegg again that would worry me...a lot.

There is one Martin Necas who begs to differ ;)

34 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

The good news is that we don’t have to worry about defense. We’ve shown that  we are close and now it is time to take more steps towards going for it.

That's why I'm ok with dangling Faulk and Fleury.  Faulk because I don't want to lose Pesce, Slavin, Dougie, Calvin, or even TVR.  Fleury because I think he needs a change of scenery and I WANT him to succeed.  He's paid his dues, it's just not working for him here on the scoring end.

Jeff Daniels ran the pp , the other guy ran the pk  .   I had a Feeling that the power play was going to be what did the canes in  .  better to lose now than to lose in the stanley cup finals  because that would have been heart breaking and most likely the case .   

The defense  were being over hyped  by the  media  and  that was not a good thing .   Slavin in particular was being praised and he  let in goals  on bad judgment calls but totally not his fault entirely  , it was a team effort after all . 

We got some guys the canes can trade that better fit what Brind'Amour  wants .   I dont believe that Nino  is a playoff guy .   He and some others did great in the season  but im more about what in trading some of  the Canes can get  off for  value right now .  Sell them if you got them to get back better returns if you can ! 

Bobrovsky is a must , WE NEED HIM !  Also some Right handed shots  for the right wing .  

Williams needs 1 more year .  McElhinney  was a great pick up and  did wonders for the canes  but the sad fan in me  knows he is going to be getting older .    and Mrazek  is   young enough to keep but i wonder how would Ned do next season  for the canes , Why are they  wasting his talent with the checkers  still ? 

so it's sort of a damned if we do and damned if we dont do something  because it is still a concern  on goalie . 

Obviously this is not the year to get hopes up about the draft but there is always  next years draft " Alexis  Lafreniere "   If the canes could manage to pick him up  ( which i doubt we will even do  )  it would be amazing for the future .  not saying i want the canes to tank next year but ,  if we were too ,, JUST SAYING  😉 ! 

Aside from Williams as the captain , do the canes really have a legit leader to take over the mantle  some day in the future ?  like for example chara  is the bruins captain , the writing is on the wall who will be their captain  and that is Bergeron .  

But really ?  do we have someone  who could be that leader ?  

Lastly  ,  How about trying some of the Checkers talent  for next season some more ??? Bean hardly got to do anything  this year  and Ned only had 1 game he got to play  (  WHICH HE DID GREAT )   but what happened to brindys whole  thing about   players that " Earn it "     would it be safe to say  the players  or some of the players we had  tonight  " EARNED IT "    maybe  maybe not .  Id like to see what next season brings before judgement calls  get made . 

Martinook is  a keeper .  Nino is trade bait ,  Ferland is adios ,  Fleury is trade bait , Staal is trade bait unless he wants to play bottom 6 then im okay with that .  Svechnikov needs more minuets  and top line  experience  .  Mrazek needs to take a chill pill , it worked for Big Mac !   and the coaches for the pp and pk need to be  AXED ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

The first thing: an amazing season. As Brind'Amour put it, there is no doubt this team over-achieved. This ought to be telling. The coach is praising his guys for their effort, but also signaling that we are not there yet. As painful as it was to watch, I really think that getting swept by Boston could be the best thing long term for the organization. As we've argued on here for years, the old, "we're just one piece away" logic can be dangerous if you're not just one piece away. I think we actually are close, but not one piece. Ideally, 3 pieces unless we upgrade at goal. But we needed this complete dismantling by Boston to wipe away any notions of being really even this close to being a legit cup team, and keep the focus sharp in the offseason.

Brind'Amour was typically frank in his post game interview (maybe even to a fault in one case*), as was Williams. Brind'Amour basically told us that this team, that had overachieved on pure guts and will, finally hit a mental wall, that combined with an opponent with no weaknesses, finally just couldn't get there. This clearly signals that there is a limit to where guts and heart can bring an NHL franchise. That limit can be pretty high at it's peak, but it is not a Stanley Cup. 

It takes both talent and work. And while we pegged the work meter, we are still a bit short on the talent scale. 

Seriously, can we think really, that we could have pushed the heart and effort meter any harder? And do we seriously think we had a snowball's chance of beating Boston despite that? Should be clear.

There is a lot of good news in general. We are a very young team and our stars of the future are very young, some still in the AHL. But there is also the bad news that we have been unable or unwilling to add any star power through trader or UFA. We have yet to be able to flip the D depth for offense. The Niedereiter move was masterful, but he did not peform well in the playoffs or on our PP, which was finally the end game issue.

Are we one player away? Maybe closer than we think, but we are not there yet. I will give my opinion on what we need in another post, but we do still have needs. In general, it is the need for the final upgrades at forward, and a pp quarteback. 

The good news is that we are now to a place where the proper upgrades should put us on the edge of being able to compete with elite teams in the playoffs.

*Brindy called out SeaBass by name. I don't have a huge problem with mentioning some names, but that was the only name he mentioned, which seemed a bit of a misplay. SeaBass may not have been at his A game, but he did lead the team in points and #2 in goals in the playoffs, and has struggled since his knee to knee injury. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

There is a lot of good news in general. 

*Brindy called out SeaBass by name. I don't have a huge problem with mentioning some names, but that was the only name he mentioned, which seemed a bit of a misplay. SeaBass may not have been at his A game, but he did lead the team in points and #2 in goals in the playoffs, and has struggled since his knee to knee injury. 

Brindy was talking about this series specifically. We had 5 goals in 4 games. Your first line has to better. The first line a lone should have those numbers.  Aho is the 1C, he has to be the 1C in order to win a CFs.

Okay, here goes my $0.02 worth. 1st the classic loser's plaudit of "That was a great season", but quite frankly, I say that in all sincerity. Now lets get to the nitty gritty.

At the end of the After Math as I was pulling into my driveway, I witnessed Forslund getting on his soapbox in a manner we rarely hear during the season. His bottom line was he could not wait until September rolls around, and I'm paraphrasing here, but in essence he suggested that these Canes' players think they worked hard this year, well they ain't seen nothing yet!!! His point was that yes they had an exhaustive stretch since December which John likened to Playoffs over those 5 months thru this last game, but now that they ran that gauntlet, and more importantly gained the invaluable and non-teachable experience of the MENTAL element, that it's time to get down to work. 

So 1st I'd like to make this observation. When I 1st developed my genuine love for the Canes, a friend and I would wait around after all home games along the North entrance into the players lot to get autographs as players left the lot. The last player always to leave was Brind'Amour and I always wondered why. Turns out that he ALWAYS worked out after games, unlike most of the others. Put that together with the now legendary stories of then and still now, and it becomes obvious that Rod Brind'Amour is the poster boy for physical fitness, as if y'all don't already know that?

2nd, I'd like to further suggest that the Canes 18-19 were mini clones of Rod, and toward the end in both the Caps and Islanders series, it became crystal clear to me that when we got them to the 3rd period and especially OT, our physical fitness usually was head and shoulders above the other team. Further, I'd also suggest that somewhere in December, a light bulb went off in our players mind that convinced the lot that although they might be a little lacking in talent vs the other team, if they stuck to their edge the work ethic, they often could persevere? And one last plug for this thought, if you will, think back to preseason trades for a sec, and as suspect, nee unpopular as they were, who got shipped out? Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin, and what do these players have in common, besides the commonly held belief then that the trades were made because " Dondon is a cheapskate"? Now, it might be unfair to lump all 3 together here as light on work ethic, but surely Skinner seemed to be? But for whatever reason, I'd suggest that the lot didn't fit the Brind'Amour mold.

Now, 1 last point. IMHO, Rod Brind'Amour was not by any stretch an exceptionally skillful, gifted player, BUT his work ethic was unparalleled. He might not have been able to snipe like some of the gifted ones in the NHL but by God, he'd work the majority under the table, and then beat them. I preface my next comment by this because I think that's where this team is going with him as head coach. I'm not sure I can agree with several of the above posters who pick out this or that player and point out their deficiencies as ones to replace, because I fully believe that Rod works on a different level than that. His is undoubtedly based on work ethic and team unity, no doubt catch phrases that are common place in this sport, but unlike many who throw them about, he lives them in every day life and "walks the walk". Further, I'd wager that Rod would personally prefer a hard working, unified team, than one made up of super stars like Edmonton or Toronto? So while a Skinner or Matthews or Tavares might be good trophy displays, IDK but I'll bet the McGinns, Foegeles, Maenalanens, Martinooks, McKeggs, Wallmarks and the like, are where he will hang his hat. That's not to say that the Aho, Svechnikovs, Teravainens, Neiderreiters and their counterparts are not valuable, or that a top 6 center is unnecessary, but I'd think that any trade this offseason will value "character".

Whew, that was worthy of rem???

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Brindy was talking about this series specifically. We had 5 goals in 4 games. Your first line has to better. The first line a lone should have those numbers.  Aho is the 1C, he has to be the 1C in order to win a CFs.

But to just name him and no one else? Not fair IMO. I think it kind of slipped out.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

But to just name him and no one else? Not fair IMO. I think it kind of slipped out.

I think he trusts his relationship with Aho that he'll take it the right way. It wasn't said with anger behind it more of a I know this kids got another gear positive way.

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

We arent calling them out like Dallas' ownership, i dont see the harm in it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

At the end of the After Math as I was pulling into my driveway, I witnessed Forslund getting on his soapbox in a manner we rarely hear during the season. His bottom line was he could not wait until September rolls around, and I'm paraphrasing here, but in essence he suggested that these Canes' players think they worked hard this year, well they ain't seen nothing yet!!! His point was that yes they had an exhaustive stretch since December which John likened to Playoffs over those 5 months thru this last game, but now that they ran that gauntlet, and more importantly gained the invaluable and non-teachable experience of the MENTAL element, that it's time to get down to work....

....And one last plug for this thought, if you will, think back to preseason trades for a sec, and as suspect, nee unpopular as they were, who got shipped out? Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin, and what do these players have in common, besides the commonly held belief then that the trades were made because " Dondon is a cheapskate"? Now, it might be unfair to lump all 3 together here as light on work ethic, but surely Skinner seemed to be? But for whatever reason, I'd suggest that the lot didn't fit the Brind'Amour mold....

.... Further, I'd wager that Rod would personally prefer a hard working, unified team, than one made up of super stars like Edmonton or Toronto? So while a Skinner or Matthews or Tavares might be good trophy displays, IDK but I'll bet the McGinns, Foegeles, Maenalanens, Martinooks, McKeggs, Wallmarks and the like, are where he will hang his hat. That's not to say that the Aho, Svechnikovs, Teravainens, Neiderreiters and their counterparts are not valuable, or that a top 6 center is unnecessary, but I'd think that any trade this offseason will value "character".

Whew, that was worthy of rem???

LOL. There are a few on here now that give my bandwidth hogging a run for the money! But I liked a lot in your post. Had to try to pull some out though.

I do think that this team revealed the "method in the madness" behind the music when it came to some of the moves. Hanifin, Skinner and Lindholm had all in some respect and at some way, been mentioned as guys who were soft in either preparation, work ethic, playing the "right way" or all of the above. All were skilled players too. Each's story is slightly different, but in the end all were moved at least in part in the "addition by subtraction" school of thought. 

In a macro sense, this season is a vindication of that approach, to an extent anyways. 

I continue to maintain that there is more going on behind the scenes than just Roddy's desires for workout maniacs. It is little mentioned (except by me)(they probably don't really want it mentioned since it's sort of a trade secret) but way back at the very beginning, it was mentioned that this team was going to use a newer form of metrics to assess players from draft picks to trades. There is a lot of overlap between what Rod's eyes and brain tell him he's looking for, and what these stats say. But again, basically, there are lots of people watching tons of hockey and keeping tabs on lots of individual plays made by players that do not show up in the score sheet, but are critical to winning. Winning board battles, taking a hit to make a play, making a sweet little play to get the puck up the ice or out of the zone. Screening the goalie, etc etc. There is an actual company that has organized a point system to rate players this way. 

I believe that this stuff shows up in the extremes on +/-, but most players are in the middle on that where there is no debate that stat is useless. But now we are rating those middle guys too, and even the extreme guys can be more accurately rated this way. So, we are trying to find guys who score and make offensive plays, but also do the little things. This is why I wanted Mark Stone, but haven't wanted Matt Duchenne in a long time. BTW this is the stuff a guy like Bergeron does so well for the Bruins. 

But you must also have have serious skill to compete for a cup. Just pull the list of cup winners for the past 20 years or really forever. It's not skill or drive. It's both. Finding a collection of guys from top to bottom who do both. That is the goal and I still think that's the plan we are following, and it's a damn good plan.

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I think he trusts his relationship with Aho that he'll take it the right way. It wasn't said with anger behind it more of a I know this kids got another gear positive way.

Probably true. It just seemed to slip out, like he might have wanted it back. But I do agree that he knows Aho has that drive to always be better and that Rod really has his back, and it will be fine. Just hit me oddly that he didn't mention any other names. Maybe he meant to do it to drive him. Not a huge deal I don't think.

Do you guys think that Dundon and the rest of the management team will make the necessary financial moves in the off season to improve this team via free agency? Or will the mindset be “we spent next to nothing” and got to the ECFs? 

6 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Do you guys think that Dundon and the rest of the management team will make the necessary financial moves in the off season to improve this team via free agency? Or will the mindset be “we spent next to nothing” and got to the ECFs? 

I don't know, but I think the main thing we need to do is sign our RFAs to more. Then move some pieces around. Not sure the payroll has to jump way up outside of that. The nice thing is that we can take salary in a trade.

Then again, when you look at our projected cap space, it just seems tempting to just go out and go nuts one time.

5 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

If it’s the latter, see y’all in a decade when we make the playoffs again ;)

Dundon and Waddell have made it clear they immensely value Rod’s insights...and I think if he tells them “I need X player,” they’re gonna go out and do everything they can to get it for him...short of going Columbus trade deadline stupid!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

....I'd like to further suggest that the Canes 18-19 were mini clones of Rod,....

Bingo.  Excellent point.

I'm not sure who to add/subtract, but have great confidence in Roddy to sort it out.  I don't believe his rookie season as HC was a one hit wonder.  He's delivered for Dundon/Waddell.  I expect them to reciprocate.

• Like 1

I think we have a good thing going. Tweaks and some reasonable additions/subtractions? Sure! Any major overhauls? Not really unless we get the right fit for the areas of need. Don’t need to make any big splashes for the sake of it. I like the direction we are going but yes, we need improvement in the known key areas.

Edited by surfzone365

36 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I think we have a good thing going. Tweaks and some reasonable additions/subtractions? Sure! Any major overhauls? Not really unless we get the right fit for the areas of need. Don’t need to make any big splashes for the sake of it. I like the direction we are going but yes, we need improvement in the known key areas.

Some of the improvement will simply come from a few of our players being a year older.  But on the flipside, a few of our players will be a year older - won't be long before Williams and McElhinney are getting custom walkers with skate blades on them so they can move around the ice.  As much as i like all of the McKeggs and Bishops, those guys are a dime a dozen.  We need to let about half of them go and bring in that elusive top-6er that we look for year in and year out... so what else is new?  Meanwhile i'd once again be content for any 2 of Mrazek/Mac/Nedl, but if we can get Bobrovsky, let's do that instead, yes?  Just no more Ward/Lack/Darling.

Oh, and new special teams...

The truth is that the NHL is the league of parity.  The Canes deserve all of our admiration for rising above the mean average to not only earn a spot in the playoffs, but take 2 rounds.  Were they better than the Caps, better than the Isles?  Well, in their series they were, but the margin of victory versus defeat is so very close in this league, that the intangibles of Rod's and JW's leadership rate high.

We have so many prospects approaching playing time in the NHL that it makes for great internal competition.  McKeown was a +30 this season, and I am not sure why the team resigned TVR when we have that kind of guy knocking on the door.Obviously, if JW wants to continue his career, signing him back is without question.  Signing Aho long term must get done.  The next biggest decision is how to move forward between the pipes.  What more can Ned get from playing in Charlotte?  Hasn't he earned a spot on the Canes?  If so, the team needs to sign Petr or another #1.  McKegg was a nice role player, but will probably be allowed to leave, along with Ferland.  That should create 2 or 3 opportunities to be filled from either outside the organization or internally.  The next Foegle will hopefully show up at camp.