The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

I agree that Necas is not a heavy player.  But his plus 20 is #4 of 39 on the team. He back checks and creates turnovers. He possesses the puck well. He has not played center much so face-offs are not much of an issue. 

While Brind'Amour does want guys to play a full game, this does not mean that all players are the same. Teravainen was a featherweight. Barely hit anything. Yet he not only scored 76 points, but was second on the team in plus/minus. Aho was not much more physical, yet was third in plus/minus. 

The point is that a team has different guys fill different roles. We need to make sure everyone back checks and fights full on for the puck, but I think Necas does enough of that in Charlotte that it won't hold him out of the Canes' line up next year. Also, he'll probably get the Svech treatment by starting on the third line and being "taught" to play the right way as the season progresses. 

Yes. I know, it's obvious. I think Necas makes the team and has a nice year. Not a breakout year, but productive.

I believe Necas can bring a lot to the team in a role similar to Svech in year one as Rem pointed out.  He's so smooth out there and his passes can get to places that other players can find and score.  Only special players can find those seams.  Necas finds them. 

I particularly would like to see him lined up in Ovie's spot at the left dot on the PP.  He can dadgum put it on net from there from my time watching him.  I also agree Necas makes the team and has a productive year in points and development.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I believe Necas can bring a lot to the team in a role similar to Svech in year one as Rem pointed out.  He's so smooth out there and his passes can get to places that other players can find and score.  Only special players can find those seams.  Necas finds them. 

I particularly would like to see him lined up in Ovie's spot at the left dot on the PP.  He can dadgum put it on net from there from my time watching him.  I also agree Necas makes the team and has a productive year in points and development.

I agree that he's probably a producer next year, and I hope they slow roll him like Svech instead of penciling him in at 2C.  I think the new regime will do that.  I think they see him as the long term answer at 2C, but will try to get a couple of year stop gap guy.  I think that's the biggest off season concern, well, other than goalie.

• Like 1

Necas last night was flying around doing great  but who caught my eyes attention was Geekie .  This kid is a straight up player !  I cant wait till the preseason  to seem  him try and make the team .  I Have a feeling if  Necas dont make the team either Geekie , Roy or  Brown will . 

• Like 1

There's a lot of geekie hockey nutz on this board who study all these prospects.  I can't keep up with ya'll!

5 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

There's a lot of geekie hockey nutz on this board who study all these prospects.  I can't keep up with ya'll!

Geekie looks like a serious late bloomer. He went from 4C to 1C in Charlotte this season. Plays with a similar but slightly less of an edge as Foegele but a better decision maker / scorer

Yeah Geekie really has stepped up and has had an amazing playoff run. He's basically a point per game with 7 goals over 17 playoff games. He is also an AHL rookie, which bodes well.  Necas still, IMO, has the inside track, but Geekie has probably moved himself past Kuok, and Saarela for #2 on the forward depth chart.

BTW Saarela, who has a wicked, NHL level shot, has not really impressed me that much in the 4 games I've watched. His playoff stats are strong though, so maybe it was just those games.

56 minutes ago, remkin said:

BTW Saarela, who has a wicked, NHL level shot, has not really impressed me that much in the 4 games I've watched. His playoff stats are strong though, so maybe it was just those games.

Mrs. Realm is forever shaking her head over something Saarela's done, and he doesn't impress me much either.  Good numbers but i still think he's another Boychuk/Terry.  Necas/Geekie/Bishop are still my big 3 on the front.

Im going to miss that old  jumbrotron  .  Rest In Peace ESA -RBC-PNC Arena  Jumbrotron 1999- 2019 !   Through the good times and the bad times .   Im Glad it got one last outing  before being retired . 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im going to miss that old  jumbrotron  .  Rest In Peace ESA -RBC-PNC Arena  Jumbrotron 1999- 2019 !   Through the good times and the bad times .   Im Glad it got one last outing  before being retired . 

Sorry, but the original one was replaced by the just departed one about 7-8 years ago.

Just now, bluedevilcane said:

Sorry, but the original one was replaced by the just departed one about 7-8 years ago.

Well i will miss Jumbo number 2 then , rip  !!!

I won’t miss it if the new one is as great as it sounds. I think your real point was the history made by the Canes while the Jumbotron was in use. I think the first one was still in service even for the 2008-9 season. But the just departed one was a big upgrade and definitely contributed to a better fan experience for the years it was up there.

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Anyone remember some of The Brass complaining about that?  I can't remember who it was, could have been owners or The Authority.  Anyway, there was some grumbling about the cost to replace a perfectly good board.

I honestly felt #2 was not as good as #1.  The penalty countdown was hard to read.  It was out of the line of sight, etc.  Yes, it did have full color graphics instead of the crude black and white (brownish) of #1.  That was an improvement.  But #2 wasn't as much as a WOW as was originally sold.

Anyway, sounds like you may actually be able to see the replays on #3.  If it is like some of the newest ones recently installed, it should be great.

24 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Anyone remember some of The Brass complaining about that?  I can't remember who it was, could have been owners or The Authority.  Anyway, there was some grumbling about the cost to replace a perfectly good board.

wxray, I do not recall that 1st one, but do recall the excitement surrounding installation of the 2nd, and being less than impressed when we were able to view it in action. Certainly hope this 3rd edition lives up to the hype better than Jumbotron #2?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I like this!  Let's hope it is implemented as such.  It solves my three biggest gripes: 1) What's the score?  3) What's the time? 3) How long for the penalty?   #3 was the most egregious issue.   Most importantly, Daktronics made sure to predict a Toronto loss.  :)

I like the filled corners.  Better than some of the "huge slab" designs that emerged about 7 years ago.  The existing design is: "Let's build a birthday cake stack."  Blah, didn't work.  This new design looks really good.

Oh, and of course, aside from the game vitals, it looks like we'll actually be able to see the replays in high def.

Edit: I'm an upper deck guy, speaking from that perspective.  For the lower bowl people, they will have inside-underbelly screens.  That will be really nice for field of view and avoidance of neck whiplash.

Edited by wxray1

Does anyone remember when we went to live sporting events to get away from video screens (television):blink:

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Does anyone remember when we went to live sporting events to get away from video screens (television):blink:

I heard Daktronics has a "OBXer Retro Night Scoreboard" program where they will program the scoreboard back to the late 40s.  It will have everything you need.  Time, score, time-out, and TWO penalty clocks that read in concentric rings.  NO TV!!  Perfect for OBXer.  :)

See program image below. 

retrohockey.PNG

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

In all seriousness, YES.  But times change.  What gets me are the many fans that sit near me and look at their phones ALL GAME.

The hockey scoreboard thing is really sentimental to me.  I swear I remember my first game (Chicago Stadium) as having the old analog scoreboard.  I did some searching, and apparently it was!  Here's a nice discussion on those old Bulova boards.   There's a pointer to the 1971 Stanley Cup youtube showing the old board still in action, and apparently the NHL didn't like it because everyone was supposed to go digital in the late 60s.  Wirtz was what WWW was, and he resisted until the mid 70s.  Typical of him.

At the same time, the Bears played in Soldier Field, and they had an analog clock too, up to about 1977.  It was the wonkiest, craziest thing I've ever seen (and impossible to find a picture of).  I remember some opposing coach going off on it because he couldn't read the time left.  I can't remember who, but I think it was John Madden.  They actually had a digital clock too, in other parts of the stadium, but they were small.  The big clock stayed analog for a long time.  Must have been union rules (inside Chicago joke).

Oh, sorry for the obsession.  But I noticed that Daktronics has anticipated the new "foul rule" in hockey to be implemented next year.  :)

Whoops, a little glitch on their presentation.   See below the score.  Other parts say "SOG", so I think they'll get it right.  I hope...  Actually, having the SOG right below the score is nice.  And once again, kudus to Daktronics for having the right team have less fouls.

newscore2.PNG

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

In all seriousness, YES.  But times change.

They do change. It was a little humor on my part and some reflection of how different it is today. I applaud Dundon for moving with the times and providing a better experience for us. Although the game will remain the focus of the in arena experience the modern market demands more. Better infrastructure, better amenities, more food and beverage choices and even connectivity.

I reserve the right to find it amusing but assure you I will enjoy the scoreboard upgrade.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Basketball and hockey use?

They are still really stoked about the March Madness Storm Surge. Maybe even get an exhibition game going...

• Like 1