Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Basketball and hockey use?

Yes.  The linked video shows examples for both.  In the basketball scenes, NC State is whipping Pitt.

 

The graphics artist had a glitch with the cut-n-paste when showing the hockey scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I heard Daktronics has a "OBXer Retro Night Scoreboard" program where they will program the scoreboard back to the late 40s.  It will have everything you need.  Time, score, time-out, and TWO penalty clocks that read in concentric rings.  NO TV!!  Perfect for OBXer.  :)

 

See program image below. 

retrohockey.PNG

Could practically wear that thing on your wrist. Well at least compared to the new one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Canes Country just finished a 3-part interview with Brindy.  I found it to be a great read, there's some juicy stuff in here.

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 1

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 2

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 3

Thanks, I had stopped reading CC for a while.

 

plenty of good stuff in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Coastal. 👍🏻

 

Makes you wonder why Peters even had assistant coaches.

 

Sounds like our suspicions were well founded in terms of management going through the motions for years, just trying to be decent but not expecting much.

 

Sounds like Necas will really have to crap 💩 the bed not to make the team next year.

 

Good read, Roddy as coach was obviously exactly what this organization needed. Sounds like TD is doing things right as well.

 

Now the hard part, to keep it rolling and not take a step back. As good of a job as Brind’Amour did this year, I have a feeling next year will present even more challenges in terms of getting the most out of each player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The things I thought were interesting points:

 

Roddy wasn’t really asked his opinion for 7 years. Really shows poor leadership when you don’t take others opinions into account.

Roddy wasn’t given a college job because he didn’t have his degree. Which worked out for us.

Tom is always asking about getting other players. Makes me think he is serious about getting better players. Although i need to see it

Roddie still isn’t sure about Aho at center

Rod is excited about a couple of young players (1 being Necas). Although he said only one should be on the squad at a time.  The other young guy, et al, have to beat out Necas to make the roster.

Roddie seems to be conflicted on the team. He wants everyone back but at the same time is worried about the same team improving on last season. We got everything out of those guys last. Could we really get to a cup if we got everything out of them while overachieving?  He knows we have to add talent while wanting everyone back.

He is also conflicted on the Checkers’ success. He wants them to be successful but also wants them to be in the gym getting bigger and stronger. Rod the bod moment for sure.

 

Side note: I really want to know who he would have drafted in the last 7 years that he felt was the right move at the time (not hindsight stuff).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started with part 3. Aho was hurt in the last 20 games, but it wasn't the knee on knee with Nino mostly. Aho will be improved next year which is saying something.

 

He didn't say it, but between the lines Brindy does not seem confident with Fleury talking about how much of a hit losing DeHaan and TVR was.

 

He would rather tank than be in the mushy middle. Pretty much poo pooed the idea of some teams being scouting geniuses. Pick high. Get Svech.

 

Really lowered the idea of right and left handed D men.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article got my juices going again after a hard fought, mojo and tailgate influencing playoff run.  It took some part of my soul, mostly in a good way.

 

Back in the game now though. 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most striking thing to me were his comments on .... "wth - are we really trying to just be average?"

 

Obviously, we were, and we all knew it.

 

Second are his comments on Dundon.  Holy cow.  I loved hearing that, especially coming from the epitome of a straight shooter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Canes Country just finished a 3-part interview with Brindy.  I found it to be a great read, there's some juicy stuff in here.

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 1

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 2

 

One on One With Brindy - Part 3

 

 

Awesome read.  Interesting to read where RB asked DW to give him a shot at coaching - i feel like the GM should always choose his coach, and DW had not been announced as GM when RB was announced as coach.  This kind of tells me DW was already the GM in advance of the announcement.

 

I also enjoyed the part about Pesce and the LD/RD thing.  When i played as a kid i was a RH LD and i had a better view of the ice there than when i was on the right side - i felt like i was turned away from things there.  Plus my stick was in better position to defend (because you know, you need every advantage you can get when defending against 11-year-olds in Maryland...).  It still baffles me how the push was made to essentially have defensemen's sticks turned away from center ice instead of turned in - take away the boards and give the opposition the slot?  Eeek.  And not only on the defensive side of things but the offensive as well - it makes it considerably harder to set up a lefty for a one-timer when he's on the left or a righty when he's on the right.  I felt like BP was fixated on the L/L and R/R thing.  Glad RB isn't and glad to see not all players necessarily subscribe to it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read.  What I liked is seeing inside Brindy's thoughts about the big picture.  He has a grasp of the totality without focusing on the micro issues.   It was also interesting to see him focus on Grade-A chances... not sure if that was his thoughts, or part of the new stats the team is using.

 

An aside.  This interview was conducted by Brian LeBlanc.  I met him a few times 10 years or so ago during tailgating time.  He knows his stuff.  He also has radio chops.  I don't know where things are going to go with our broadcasting situation, but I wouldn't mind if Brian could leap into a broadcasting role, probably radio, even if it was just pre or post game.  Problem is contracts and what have you, working for the wrong company, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to add to Coastal's point on Dundon. According to the article TD has made himself widely aware of different players out there that we might want to try to get. Brind'Amour says some of them are wrong, but some of them are right. I keep thinking of Calvin DeHaan. That was supposedly a Dundon special. Frankly a bit outside the box. This team at least seems loaded on D. Yet TD goes out and signs a veteran UFA D man. But it was a clever signing. DeHaan is a super steady middle pairing guy, who, BTW hits. He is clearly better than Fleury and that's who was pushed out. It may hurt Fleury's development and/or trade value, but it did make the team better, and Brind'Amour mentioned how much the loss of DeHaan hurt.

 

But the main point is that he is out there doing this. He is constantly poking around trying to help find a player who can make the team better. This is what gives me some hope that we will not just be sitting on our hands waiting for Svech and Necas to grow, but will be actively looking for guys, and I would not be at all surprised if we make a significant move or two this off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know why but i get the feeling in the next few years  the canes are going to be close to the cap  and Dundon is not going to worry about it like karmanos did . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

happy to see our charlotte checker won the cup   GREAT JOB CHECKERS

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, gocanes0506 said:

The things I thought were interesting points:

 

Roddy wasn’t really asked his opinion for 7 years. Really shows poor leadership when you don’t take others opinions into account.

Roddy wasn’t given a college job because he didn’t have his degree. Which worked out for us.

Tom is always asking about getting other players. Makes me think he is serious about getting better players. Although i need to see it

Roddie still isn’t sure about Aho at center

Rod is excited about a couple of young players (1 being Necas). Although he said only one should be on the squad at a time.  The other young guy, et al, have to beat out Necas to make the roster.

Roddie seems to be conflicted on the team. He wants everyone back but at the same time is worried about the same team improving on last season. We got everything out of those guys last. Could we really get to a cup if we got everything out of them while overachieving?  He knows we have to add talent while wanting everyone back.

He is also conflicted on the Checkers’ success. He wants them to be successful but also wants them to be in the gym getting bigger and stronger. Rod the bod moment for sure.

 

Side note: I really want to know who he would have drafted in the last 7 years that he felt was the right move at the time (not hindsight stuff).

 

The bolded statements are why I'm not yet ready to anoint HCRB or GMDW.

 

Rod *says* he wasn't asked his opinion. How many coaches did he serve under as an assistant? At least two, right? Was it that nobody asked his opinion or did he just go ahead and offer it when it was not requested? Many of us have encountered such a person, who goes around telling people how they're doing things all wrong and/or saying things like "well, they didn't listen to my opinion. It must be because they don't want to get better."

 

The college thing - RB's attitude is "hey, I've spent my whole life in hockey! What's a college degree have to do with how I coach?" Technically, he's correct, but the college sets the rules because it's their 'game', no?

 

I didn't get the idea that he was 'conflicted' about the Checkers at all. Paraphrasing, it's "they're for development, and this isn't developing them because they're not in the weightroom." Inability to divorce himself completely from the situation? "This is the way *I* made it, so that's the way it should be"? Especially odd in view of his opinion that you don't want two young players up on the big club at a time. I admit, it would be hard to give extra coaching to two young players at once, and Necas was probably better served by staying in the AHL to get used to the smaller ice surface and all that. Players sure wouldn't get used to the smaller ice if they were always in the weightroom, though, would they?

 

Two words - Occam's Razor....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JonKerfoot

 

as far as the Checkers success.  He wants the kids to be successful. At the same time he also wants them in the gym getting bigger and faster for their development.  He said that the a typical offseason would have them in the gym already getting ready for the next season.

 

if i read between the lines, he knows some of those guys are competing for roster spots next year. He wants them to be at top physical shape in preparation for the season. It is hard to do that when still playing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great teams, and consistent playoff teams are primarily built through draft and development. Steve Yzerman in his initial comments after taking the reigns for the Red Wings, stated that you can't built a winner only from free agency. Maybe the most significant benefit from the Checkers success this year is that Mike Velucci is not only the coach; but is the Canes Assistant GM, and Director of Hockey Operations. He developes the players, observes over an entire season not only which players are NHL ready, but also knows which of them will fit into the Canes master plan. Essentially, he gets to scout our prospects for 90+ games; gets to scout other teams prospects many times throughout the season (to enhance trade returns), and inject his findings into the "Committee's"decision making. A great situation for the organization!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

Great teams, and consistent playoff teams are primarily built through draft and development. Steve Yzerman in his initial comments after taking the reigns for the Red Wings, stated that you can't built a winner only from free agency. Maybe the most significant benefit from the Checkers success this year is that Mike Velucci is not only the coach; but is the Canes Assistant GM, and Director of Hockey Operations. He developes the players, observes over an entire season not only which players are NHL ready, but also knows which of them will fit into the Canes master plan. Essentially, he gets to scout our prospects for 90+ games; gets to scout other teams prospects many times throughout the season (to enhance trade returns), and inject his findings into the "Committee's"decision making. A great situation for the organization!!!

To Add onto that ,   Successful teams win based on  who they draft  .  If you have stellar scouting  You can  go after players in free agency And build  a 1 year winner  but the true success is off from  drafting .   And you have to be good at drafting or else you won't have long term success .   

 

 For example   Rutherford was good at making trades with other teams  and maybe a small degree getting players from free agency  but when it came to development  or drafting  or  managing  contracts  he was horrible . 

 

Francis was good at scouting , developing  and managing   but  was  handcuffed in free agency    and blind sided in some trades and successful in others . 

 

 Waddell  has shown a history of being Successful at drafts ,   a mixture  of good and bad  at trades ,  Great in free agency  and being decent at managing .   

 

When looking at teams that   are successful  they  tend to make the playoffs  5 out of 6 times   and that one time  they dont make it  is a year they are trying to restock  on talent  for the future .    I remember clearly  Tampa  with Yzerman  had   the lightning  top contending in the playoffs  only to have the team tank  a year just to get a juicy  crop of players that could help build that future  .   The only thing he has yet to do as a gm is win a cup  but You can bet  that will be something that will happen  now that he is with the wings . 

 

Who has been the most successful teams  over that past 20 years and how do you define that success ?  by the amount of  president trophies a team has  ? or perhaps  how many cups they take home  ?   And whats the recipe for that Success ?   Cause every year   you have teams that  have either 1 or 2   star  players  and the rest are just a bunch of worker bees  and fall in line   and piggy back off their  work load  and win tons of games  .   Washington , Chicago ,  Pittsburgh   ,   Tampa .     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting read on Scott Darling; Daily Herald

 

Quote

Waddell , "Let's see where we're at with the hockey club. I talked about it today with my coach and my owner, and (Darling is still) definitely an option."

 

It gave me a better understanding of Darlings struggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darling really has had a tough time. It would be a great story if he could rebound to the form that made him a welcome addition when the Canes signed him, but I doubt it will happen. I wouldn't be against bringing him to camp, but just to highlight him for a trade. I'd rather stick with Petr and Mac. I have no hard feelings against Darling, and I really do hope he gets his life in order, but he scares me between the pipes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBXer said:

An interesting read on Scott Darling; Daily Herald

 

 

It gave me a better understanding of Darlings struggles.

So researching this a bit more, his father's tragic drowning was very recent, end of May, a few weeks ago. He also requested a personal leave in February and March for "unspecified" reasons, so who knows what that might have been. I really do feel bad for him. 

 

Waddell said though that the team had until the end of this month to decide on a buy out. After a full on Rocky montage summer of killer workouts last year, only to fail a second time (before any of the listed personal issues), it is hard to see how the team can commit to try #3 before the end of June. I have to think it's a "keeping all options publicly open until the actual decision has to be made" thing, to see if any sort of trade to unload the salary might happen. 

 

I guess that the on thing would be if we can't sign McE and can't find anyone to back up, that we could platoon Darling and Ned as the back up*. But if we can't sign Mrazek, there is no way on this Earth that we go with Darling as the #1. 

 

*but given Darling hasn't even really played much in the AHL last year, and didn't do that well when he did, even that seems unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

but given Darling hasn't even really played much in the AHL last year, and didn't do that well when he did, even that seems unlikely.

Edited 1 hour ago by remkin

My thoughts and prayers go out to Scott Darling and a part of me keeps pulling for him through all his struggles, rem. While I, like so many on here can't envision a return to the Canes, I keep hoping that this last tragedy may help him to refocus, a sort of "bottom of the barrel" moment. The mention that he sold his house here is sort of a clear indication that he's done, but I wish him well in whatever path is before him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Scott Darling and a part of me keeps pulling for him through all his struggles, rem. While I, like so many on here can't envision a return to the Canes, I keep hoping that this last tragedy may help him to refocus, a sort of "bottom of the barrel" moment. The mention that he sold his house here is sort of a clear indication that he's done, but I wish him well in whatever path is before him.

It Truly is a sad story .  So many things can happen in a players life that we as fans can maybe relate to  but dont always think that these players who make the amount of money they do  ever tend to go through personal matters or struggles in life .   It's  depressing but what does not kill you can only make you stronger .  And in Scotts case im sure that he will  have the safety net and support he needs to get by .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

It Truly is a sad story .  So many things can happen in a players life that we as fans can maybe relate to  but dont always think that these players who make the amount of money they do  ever tend to go through personal matters or struggles in life .   It's  depressing but what does not kill you can only make you stronger .  And in Scotts case im sure that he will  have the safety net and support he needs to get by .   

Sadly, Cff, I see too many that don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, AssistantGM said:

Great teams, and consistent playoff teams are primarily built through draft and development. Steve Yzerman in his initial comments after taking the reigns for the Red Wings, stated that you can't built a winner only from free agency. Maybe the most significant benefit from the Checkers success this year is that Mike Velucci is not only the coach; but is the Canes Assistant GM, and Director of Hockey Operations. He developes the players, observes over an entire season not only which players are NHL ready, but also knows which of them will fit into the Canes master plan. Essentially, he gets to scout our prospects for 90+ games; gets to scout other teams prospects many times throughout the season (to enhance trade returns), and inject his findings into the "Committee's"decision making. A great situation for the organization!!!

I believe I read that Vellucci is only under contract through the end of this month. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...