The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

On 6/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, AssistantGM said:

Great teams, and consistent playoff teams are primarily built through draft and development. Steve Yzerman in his initial comments after taking the reigns for the Red Wings, stated that you can't built a winner only from free agency. Maybe the most significant benefit from the Checkers success this year is that Mike Velucci is not only the coach; but is the Canes Assistant GM, and Director of Hockey Operations. He developes the players, observes over an entire season not only which players are NHL ready, but also knows which of them will fit into the Canes master plan. Essentially, he gets to scout our prospects for 90+ games; gets to scout other teams prospects many times throughout the season (to enhance trade returns), and inject his findings into the "Committee's"decision making. A great situation for the organization!!!

I believe I read that Vellucci is only under contract through the end of this month. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

16 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I believe I read that Vellucci is only under contract through the end of this month. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I don't know, but I'ver heard talk about him getting a shot in the NHL. Winning the Calder tends to get your name out there. We don't have a spot here, so....I hope for our sake he stays, but, for his sake I hope he gets a shot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't know, but I'ver heard talk about him getting a shot in the NHL. Winning the Calder tends to get your name out there. We don't have a spot here, so....I hope for our sake he stays, but, for his sake I hope he gets a shot.

From the Canes website:  Mike Vellucci:  Assistant General Manager / Director of Hockey Operations / Charlotte Checkers Head Coach

I suspect a lot of it will depend on what Vellucci is interested in doing.  If his goal is an NHL head coaching job, Carolina probably isn't the best path given Brindy's debut this season.  But he's got a very interesting combination of responsibilities here that he might not be able to duplicate anywhere else.  And he just said that this season was one of his favorites in his hockey career. 

https://wfnz.radio.com/blogs/mac-attack/mike-vellucci-season-was-one-my-favorites-my-hockey-career

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

But he's got a very interesting combination of responsibilities here that he might not be able to duplicate anywhere else.

This.

I could see him staying as HC in CLT, or taking the reins of scouting; MacDonald is 72. Vellucci's longevity with the org (drafted by the Whale in '87, and with us ever since) suggests he's very happy here, plus there's the whole "devil you know" thing. As a guy who has been through the bad times, he's gotta be loving what's happening now, and relishing the big factor he's played in it. Plus, scouts get their name on the Cup...

June 11th article recap from Chip’s interview with Waddell:

Waddell will meet with Aho’s agent next week in Vancouver, “still some renegotiating to do.”

Williams- no decision made by Justin, he will play for us if he plays.

Ferland- no conversations have happened

Mrazek & McE- both are the hope to bring back, “ if a deal makes sense.”

By makes sense he said, we cannot base our deals on other teams deals.  We have our economics, we cannot base our deals on other teams economics. 

John & Tripp- hopes to have both signed soon.

MacDonald- as i had stated above, will retire after the draft.

Lastly, he says TD wants to bring him back as President & GM.  Waddell’s response, “we’ll figure it out.”

The whole “our economy” is the most concerning to me. Could only be postering. 

Article

Edited by gocanes0506

On 6/8/2019 at 3:22 PM, Canesfanforever said:

I dont know why but i get the feeling in the next few years  the canes are going to be close to the cap  and Dundon is not going to worry about it like karmanos did . 

I can't imagine.  That would mean we added some big pieces for the first time since the trade deadline 06.  

On 6/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, caniac6 said:

Darling really has had a tough time. It would be a great story if he could rebound to the form that made him a welcome addition when the Canes signed him, but I doubt it will happen. I wouldn't be against bringing him to camp, but just to highlight him for a trade. I'd rather stick with Petr and Mac. I have no hard feelings against Darling, and I really do hope he gets his life in order, but he scares me between the pipes.

Please we have to be done with Darling. it was jinxed from the beginning and only got worse and worse here and than to Charlotte to get worse and worse.  I'd love to see him rebound and have a great career, but going by what he showed here, he is just way to shaky and nervous to make routine saves night after night.  He lets his head get the best of him.   If he is not 100 percent confident and comfortable than he blows it.  He can't handle any pressure.   To be a good NHL goalie you cannot let your head mess with you on a regular basis or you get your butt handed to you.   Best of luck to him and lets hope somebody takes him and his contract so we don't have to buy him out.  

26 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Please we have to be done with Darling. it was jinxed from the beginning and only got worse and worse here and than to Charlotte to get worse and worse.  I'd love to see him rebound and have a great career, but going by what he showed here, he is just way to shaky and nervous to make routine saves night after night.  He lets his head get the best of him.   If he is not 100 percent confident and comfortable than he blows it.  He can't handle any pressure.   To be a good NHL goalie you cannot let your head mess with you on a regular basis or you get your butt handed to you.   Best of luck to him and lets hope somebody takes him and his contract so we don't have to buy him out.  

I think the slow play of Darling by management is due to our lack of having a 4th goalie on contract. Once that happens, we’ll see movement on Darling.

will it be a hard buyout or do we eat half of his salary and send him to Chicago?  

And we're off to a questionable off-season start lol

So now we get to question our goalie situation.

12 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

And we're off to a questionable off-season start lol

So now we get to question our goalie situation.

I'm not overly surprised since this was not a Waddell/Dundon hire.

8 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

But he seemed to pull the right strings last season.  Stuff going on in the background or something personal happened.  

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

But he seemed to pull the right strings last season.  Stuff going on in the background or something personal happened.  

Have you ever had a new boss put in place and still kept working your job correctly?  You didn't just punt, did you?

He did his job, apparently well.  This is the best way to give future options.  There may be really good offers out there.  Never a surprise after a good run that some seek better pastures as they are very marketable.

9 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

If the goal is to sign both goalies like DW said then I'm not sure how this will be perceived by them, I would imagine not too well since he got Mrazek's career back on track. Mac might be indifferent at his age.

Not the end of the world either, do we figure out who Bobrovsky's favorite goalie coach was and hire him to try to bait Bob?

Don't know how I missed this until now:

Justin Williams is a finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award (Giordano and Simmonds the other 2 finalists).

I can't see how this would even be close.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Have you ever had a new boss put in place and still kept working your job correctly?  You didn't just punt, did you?

He did his job, apparently well.  This is the best way to give future options.  There may be really good offers out there.  Never a surprise after a good run that some seek better pastures as they are very marketable.

My point wasn’t that Bales would punt because he got a new boss.  The on ice performance of the goalies couldn’t have been the issue for either party.

Either Bales and/or the management disagreed with the other, the background stuff I mentioned.

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Either Bales and/or the management disagreed with the other, the background stuff I mentioned.

Agree, and perhaps I was being too veiled in my thoughts.

Basically, I am purely guessing he is moving on because there is new management.  These are not the guys who hired him.   And it could be mutual.   Maybe Dundon wants a coach that will accept 25% of the going salary. 

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

that will accept 25% of the going salary. 

Please wxray, lets not go there? As far as Bales' blurb, my initial take was that he re signed, not resigned!!! Talk about a misread. But, I'm not sure I've seen that wording before, just a announcement that the person signed with someone else. Also, as much as Brind"Amour seemed to defer to his judgement during the year, I just can't imagine that HC/GC conflict existed, unless they were sweeping it under the rug? To me, this is a real troubling head scratcher as I truly thought it was one of the team's strengths, that of having an outstanding Goalie Coach who could coach any goalie up?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Yeah I'm kind of thrown by this. Brind'Amour seemed to really respect the guy. Was he being sarcastic when he said he left the starter decision to the goalie coach? Seems like the guy got the most out of our goalies who seemed to like him. I can't find any inside scoop on what the deal was, but at least as of this exact moment, it's hard to see this as a positive.

Sure would love some classic honest Brind'Amour insight into this thing.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

pre season.png

Wonder if they're trying to encourage "regional-ish" rivalries?  If you take out the Philly/NJ/NYC area aren't these these the teams closest to Raleigh? 

I wonder if Bales was under contract or instead was a Canes employee?  Regardless of why Bales decided not to stay with the Canes, I've got to believe that he wanted to get out there before the other best openings got filled.  I just read a rumor that he will be headed to Buffalo.

Pittsburgh let Bales go, but that was purportedly tied to the idea that he was Fleurys guy rather than Matt Murrays, so once they decided to let Fleury go Murray wanted his own guy in.

Edited by LakeLivin