The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well if there’s ever a team with a dumpster fire in net 

Maybe Bales just likes to go somewhere where there's a challenging situation. Buffalo's goal scenario sure qualifies.

36 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Maybe Bales just likes to go somewhere where there's a challenging situation. Buffalo's goal scenario sure qualifies.

It was  not a dispute on pay ,  was it ? 

6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

It was  not a dispute on pay ,  was it ? 

Doubt it, as still 1 more year left on his contract so why should that come up now. I read that there's some type of connection between him and Botterill, so there's that?

To me the real kick in the teeth is not just that he left when apparently a central figure in our perennial goalie inadequate situation until this year, but that he went to a genuinely despised organization to our group (fans or at least me).

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

Thinking on the Bales situation, and his replacement, 2 thoughts come to mind. What does anyone think of possibly reaching out to Cam Ward? Not sure he'd be interested and don't know if he'd be a good coach, but it surely would be in keeping with how this organization seems to operate, i.e. hiring from within.

If not him, than another option may be Arturs Irbe? As a small statue goalie, if he'd accept, his style might translate well should we resign Mrazek. Also, Nedeljkovic is built along those lines. Talk about getting the boys back together, that latter hire could knock our socks off?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I’d be on board with Irbe...another Canes site brings up a “what about Mac” hiring.

59 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’d be on board with Irbe...another Canes site brings up a “what about Mac” hiring.

One additional benefit in that Mac hiring would be if we ever needed an in game replacement like happened with Alves a few years back, he'd be the guy? That is presuming that the goalie coach is behind the bench at games which I doubt?

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Doubt it, as still 1 more year left on his contract so why should that come up now. I read that there's some type of connection between him and Botterill, so there's that?

To me the real kick in the teeth is not just that he left when apparently a central figure in our perennial goalie inadequate situation until this year, but that he went to a genuinely despised organization to our group (fans or at least me).

Kjun, do you know for sure that Bales was under contract instead of "employee" status?  If he was under contract I don't see how Buffalo could even talk to him, let alone make him a job offer.  And a couple reports about his exit from Pirttsburgh said he was fired, not that his contract wouldn't be renewed.  Of course, that might just have been a more succinct way for the authors to report the story.

Either way, sounds like the Sabres GM might have been a big factor in Bales decision.  "Bales  knows Sabres general manager Jason Botterill well from their days together in Pittsburgh. Bales spent six seasons with the Penguins, where Botterill was the associate GM."

I was also reminded that Buffalo hired Steve Smith to run their defense last year.  Wonder if there are any other Canes coaches who they might target to poach?

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Kjun, do you know for sure that Bales was under contract instead of "employee" status?  If he was under contract I don't see how Buffalo could even talk to him, let alone make him a job offer.  And a couple reports abo

Lake, I don't but presumed that? As I think on it, I believe you are correct, I think he was an "employee".

Okay Lake, the wording i used for Bales "having 1 year left on his CONTRACT" apparently was gleaned from reading Brian LeBlanc's article on it where at the end he says Cory Lavalette used that verbiage from a source that said "there was one year remaining on his (Bales) CONTRACT. Of course there might be semantical error there, and you make a good point.

An ESPN writer took a shot at a power ranking for next year. We were not picked as the 4th best team. I don't think even many of us would put us as high as we finished in the playoffs, but it is interesting that that they have us as a cut line team again though given our history from the end of December through the playoffs. The main beef I have is how high they put the team we swept.

I don't have a problem with not getting more respect. We need to make a move and settle down goalie. If we do though, then lets power rank.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26937680/way-too-early-nhl-power-rankings-2019-20

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

An ESPN writer took a shot at a power ranking for next year. We were not picked as the 4th best team. I don't think even many of us would put us as high as we finished in the playoffs, but it is interesting that that they have us as a cut line team again though given our history from the end of December through the playoffs. The main beef I have is how high they put the team we swept.

I don't have a problem with not getting more respect. We need to make a move and settle down goalie. If we do though, then lets power rank.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26937680/way-too-early-nhl-power-rankings-2019-20

Too bad the upcoming draft is not based on ESPN's power ranking?

• Like 1

Shaya’s 10 thoughts

really good words from Shaya on Gauthier & Necas.

The organization has serious decisions to make with the prospects.

Necas, Bean, Geekie, Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, Fleury, Saarela, and Ned are all capable of making the roster next season.

Keep Jurco, Brown, McKeown & Bishop? Who are all nhl capable organizational depth. 

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Necas, Bean, Geekie, Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, Fleury, Saarela, and Ned are all capable of making the roster next season.

Anyone who had issues with Skinner's lack of 2-way play is going to pull their hair out over Kuokkanen... there were a couple games i saw this season where i'm not sure he ever made it into the defensive zone.  Maybe it had something to do with his injury?  If not, the kid is cherry-picker central.  Hopefully he'll pick it up a bit but if that's where his game is now, i wouldn't hold my breath over Brind'Amour giving him a lot of ice time.

I often find people who wonder what they will do after hockey season is over  and i deeply understand  their remorse and  need to see hockey again   during the summer time .  

So here is a list of things i look forward to and do   during the off season to fill in that void   that maybe you might find would be an interest to yourself ! , this will be in no order of ranking . just a small list of things i enjoy during this time .  

1. Watch the nhl award show 

2.  watch the nhl draft 

3.  visit these forums  from time to time to check up on or to mention things in the world of hockey !

4.  pay  close attention to the  july 1st free agency market 

5.  go to the pnc arena to see the  rookies  practice  during the canes fest  summer outing . 

6.   Watch  australian  ice hockey  https://theaihl.com/leagues/front_pageAIHL.cfm?clientid=3856&leagueid=11464   on youtube 

7. watch  the  new zealand ice hockey  https://nzicehockey.co.nz/    on youtube    

8. watch the dabeauty league    on youtube or  nhl network  https://www.dabeautyleague.com/ 

9.  watch the Tri City hockey tourny  on the hurricanes site on the video feed ,  they do show it some times .  The Canes rookies / prospects are on  there . 

10. come september  watch the  preseason  hockey games on this site  . 

11.   get a nhl video game and simulate  how a new added player to the canes would do during the season . 

12. go to some of the local hockey tourneys  and watch  teams compete  . 

13. watch Ned stream  on twitch and talk to him while he plays fortnite . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

16 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay Lake, the wording i used for Bales "having 1 year left on his CONTRACT" apparently was gleaned from reading Brian LeBlanc's article on it where at the end he says Cory Lavalette used that verbiage from a source that said "there was one year remaining on his (Bales) CONTRACT. Of course there might be semantical error there, and you make a good point.

Earlier I looked far and wide for info on the terms.  Couldn't find definitive info.  Even if there was a contract, and I suspect there is for all coaches, it likely had an out clause.  Especially on that kicks in after a time.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:13 PM, KJUNKANE said:

What's the only reason anyone takes a new job in a new city?   $$$.   Don't think we need to look into it any further.  And if your old buddy is going to be your boss too, than icing on the cake.  

14 hours ago, remkin said:

I think they are pretty spot on with # 15 if we keep our exact line up.  We need a boost.  A big name scoring forward or two(summer # 10 we have all been wanting to get a big name scoring forward or two) to get the fans and PLAYERS pumped up and feeling rejuvenated and confident. Someone who can finish on the PP.   And it will be interesting to see what we do with the goalie situation.  Part of me wants to start Ned as our number one and just see if he can kill it and become the man.  He has done everything and than some in the AHL to get the job here.   I know that won't happen, it will most likely be Mrazek which I feel decent about.  I love Mac and have more confidence in him than Mrazek going by the overall season last year, but Mac is getting old.  Will him being one year older make any difference in how good he is this year?  doubt it.  I like that tandem,  But Ned's got to get a chance this year one way or another.    

This will be the most interesting part of the summer to see what we do with Mraz and Mac and Ned.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

I think they are pretty spot on with # 15 if we keep our exact line up.  We need a boost.  A big name scoring forward or two(summer # 10 we have all been wanting to get a big name scoring forward or two) to get the fans and PLAYERS pumped up and feeling rejuvenated and confident. Someone who can finish on the PP.   And it will be interesting to see what we do with the goalie situation.  Part of me wants to start Ned as our number one and just see if he can kill it and become the man.  He has done everything and than some in the AHL to get the job here.   I know that won't happen, it will most likely be Mrazek which I feel decent about.  I love Mac and have more confidence in him than Mrazek going by the overall season last year, but Mac is getting old.  Will him being one year older make any difference in how good he is this year?  doubt it.  I like that tandem,  But Ned's got to get a chance this year one way or another.    

This will be the most interesting part of the summer to see what we do with Mraz and Mac and Ned.  

I've felt the same way as well. I don't envy the guy making this decision. Maybe Mraz or Mac makes it easy on us and wants waaaaaaaaay too much money??? If we sign both does that mean Ned gets traded? This is a toughie for sure. I personally think Mac is the odd man out, but his stability back there may be missed. But if you want to keep Mac and let Ned tutor under him, can you really let Mraz walk? IDK

Edited by sleekfeeder

14 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Shaya’s 10 thoughts

really good words from Shaya on Gauthier & Necas.

The organization has serious decisions to make with the prospects.

Keep Jurco, Brown, McKeown & Bishop? Who are all nhl capable organizational depth. 

Some of these guys are free agents.  Obviously, they want to be where they see a realistic opportunity to wear an NHL jersey.  The only way that happens for McKeown, for example, is for TVR and Hamilton to be traded.  Fleury has waiver issues, so they should trade him.  Jurco will probably be picked up by another team.  

There are some interesting names listed who will compete for spots on the Hurricanes roster.  I don't get to see them play, but it feels as it Gauthier's game and physical presence are of value.  I have read nothing but good things about Geekie.  Necas will, or will not, make the team based upon his own readiness.  I am not sure Kuok or Saarela will ever be keepers;  probably similar to Zach Boychuk, always knocking on the door.

12 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Some of these guys are free agents.  Obviously, they want to be where they see a realistic opportunity to wear an NHL jersey.  The only way that happens for McKeown, for example, is for TVR and Hamilton to be traded.  Fleury has waiver issues, so they should trade him.  Jurco will probably be picked up by another team.  

There are some interesting names listed who will compete for spots on the Hurricanes roster.  I don't get to see them play, but it feels as it Gauthier's game and physical presence are of value.  I have read nothing but good things about Geekie.  Necas will, or will not, make the team based upon his own readiness.  I am not sure Kuok or Saarela will ever be keepers;  probably similar to Zach Boychuk, always knocking on the door.

That list did consist of roster decisions and contract decisions.

Im sure McKeown and a couple of others will want to test the market to see if they could get a one-way deal with someone else.  If they don’t, I hope we bring them back as organizational depth.  

Unfortunately the off-season doesn’t do much of futures for now deals cuz I feel like we could make 2 and still have great depth.

I think Gauthier’s chance to make the squad will be determined in camp unlike Necas who is penciled in at this point. If Goat can be physical and a solid net front presence consistently, he could make the roster next season.  He has a tendency to disappear on the ice and that is why he isn’t a sure thing.  Gauthier’s chances are based on Williams too.

2 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

I pretty much have to agree. But it's mainly because our goalie situation and Justin Williams are still question marks. 

I think that this exact team as structured would make the playoffs. I know we overachieved, but that run from the end of December and through 2 playoff rounds was not all just effort. Most of the team will improve, but if we slide back with whatever tandem gets the net, they will still not have enough. But if we brought the whole band back, we could make the playoffs. But we probably won't bring the whole band back, as Ferland is a long shot as it seems is getting both goalies back.

Taking a minute to dwell on J Williams. I don't know if he's back, but not only did he bring the leadership but he brought points. 53 points was number three on the team. And, while I'm at it, and while Brind'Amour's "not encouraging that he'd be back" comment that the team did fine without Ferland, Ferland was still our #4 scorer.  If Williams retires, or drops way off, the loss of points from Williams and Ferland would need to come from somewhere. That's 40 goals and 93 points. 

We went on that playoff tear with Ferland out in good part because Svech (pre knockout) and Foegele stepped up. I like both guys to pick their scoring way up this year, but that's still betting on current guys improving only. 

I like our guys to step up. I think Svech will break out a good bit. Not to his max potential, but a big move up. I think Foegele will step up his scoring too. And finally, I've made little secret that I'm all in on Necas. But Necas will be a rookie.

Anyways, l agree. Right now, with all of those questions hanging in the air, TBH #15 is generous. It points out how important the committee's work is this offseason. Get it right and jump us up to solid playoff team, maybe #10 ish. Get it wrong and drop us back to the mushy middle. 

So get it right!

Bales' left because he had an out in his contract if he was offered an assistant coach's job in the NHL.  Buffalo hired him to be more than a goalie coach but, be an full time assistant.  

Its not about Buffalo paying more for a lateral move it was about a promotion that probably pays more as well. Promotions with more pay is #1 reason why people leave jobs

https://twitter.com/MSmithCanes/status/1139550137280323585

Edited by gocanes0506

Working off of my observations, stats, gocanes' rankings, and realm's observations, I'll take this crack at my take on what Checkers have a shot to make the team out of camp.

Necas. Goodnight everybody! 

OK, I do think that spots could be tight and the most inside of tracks belongs to Necas. If I had to bet on one guy, it would be him. Just my love of his speed and skill? Well yes, but not just that. Necas could have played in the NHL last year. I'd bet that for most Canes' teams of the past 10 years he would have. The fact that we were able to have the year we had while still letting him get a full year in Charlotte, and win a Calder cup in the mix, was even better. But Necas not only looks the part, but as a rookie, still adjusting to small ice, he produced. His regular season .81 ppg was bested only by old veteran Poturalski. (Jurco, in his 6th AHL season basically tied him). He was .72 ppg in the playoffs. 

Necas was a very highly rated prospect, and the skill is evident. What excites me most, is that, like Svech, you can see how good he is, but you can also see how good he can be, and probably will be. This is a guy I would predict will grow in his point production for at least his first few years in the NHL. Using the previously referenced league conversion ratios, Necas' .81 ppg should translate into .38 ppg in the NHL, or about 30 points. I think this is a bit low, but would be good third line production from a winger. I'd put Necas on 35 plus points because he appears to my eye to have skill well beyond the AHL, even if his production was not off the charts there.

After Necas, it gets muddier, but there are some really good prospects.