The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I know most don't care about NHL 20, but I figured you might enjoy knowing their putting the storm surge in.

This is awesome!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I know most don't care about NHL 20, but I figured you might enjoy knowing their putting the storm surge in.

I’m not a gamer, but this is cool

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I really don't think this is the case. I think Mac, as a 36-year-old who just saw his first start in the SCP, would be tickled pink with a one-year, million-dollar deal. In Toronto. For about a month after we picked him up, in every interview, he looked like a deer in the headlights: Stunned.

Well, by "get paid," I didn't necessarily mean 8 years at 8M.  :)

Mac was being paid at $850k, and in his career, his AAV has averaged around $700k.  So what I meant was he is going to get a raise by someone, probably short term, and make more than he ever has at the NHL level.  I doubt The Committee wants to participate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Well, by "get paid," I didn't necessarily mean 8 years at 8M.  :)

Mac was being paid at $850k, and in his career, his AAV has averaged around $700k.  So what I meant was he is going to get a raise by someone, probably short term, and make more than he ever has at the NHL level.  I doubt The Committee wants to participate.

One area I have trouble wrapping my brain around is goalie trade value and salaries. McE had the #29 best save % in the NHL last year and it was his worst save percentage in 4 years. He went 20-11. .645 win percentage. He won us 20 game out of the 31 we rolled him out there. We would not have even sniffed the playoff cut line without him. But he's worth essentially the league minimum? 

Why not pay McE $2.5 million for one year? We have TONS of cap space this year, even after Aho and a #1 goalie. 

In my unlikely world we pay Robin Lehner. But with Ned unproven, and Lehner having some risky side issues, McE would be an amazing insurance policy. 

He may not want to sign here, (what goalie does apparently), but if he did? Nice. 

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think Duncan is signed by anyone yet. . .

D22VelLXgAAFUCr.jpg:large

3 x $5M

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I think this Duncan talk is a "Red Herring"

I have to wonder if any of JW's decision to come back has to do if any moves are in the works for improvement. I could see his decision being delayed until he has a clearer picture on where we are going.

27 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Tends to get a case of the sleepiness, but we do have access to fresh sea food.

We might have to keep Aho far away from our crease.  Hate to have an unfortunate "incident". 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

AHWSNBN is only a couple of Happy Meals away from this

51 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I have to wonder if any of JW's decision to come back has to do if any moves are in the works for improvement. I could see his decision being delayed until he has a clearer picture on where we are going.

I have to think J.Willy is being groomed as the future next GM.....I bet he will play next year if we need him too

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Why not pay McE $2.5 million for one year?

Because he plays half the season--if that--and he's older than dirt. I love what the guy did for us this year, but how many more years like that can a guy his age have? Not saying I know the answer, but $2.5 million is a pretty big bet.

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Because he plays half the season--if that--and he's older than dirt. I love what the guy did for us this year, but how many more years like that can a guy his age have? Not saying I know the answer, but $2.5 million is a pretty big bet.

Some guys on XM were speculating that the take home from a single playoff game is around $3 million. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Some guys on XM were speculating that the take home from a single playoff game is around $3 million. 

Doesn't mean we should set a new standard for back-up keeper salaries.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Doesn't mean we should set a new standard for back-up keeper salaries.

I guess I just like paying for results more than what we call someone. Darling was what we called our #1. We paid him $4.15 million each of the past two years. He played 43 games for us two years ago. He got us 13 wins. That's $319K per win (not counting this past year (just double it)). If we had paid McE $2.5 million last year, he got us 20 wins, it would have been $125K per win. OK OK. Mongo is a bad comparison. Lets go with our actual #1 Ward. 23 wins for $3.3 million. $143K per win. 

But wait, McE also got us 3 playoff wins. Those are worth even more, but we don't pay him more. So including playoffs, 23 wins for McE would have been $108,695 per win at $2.5 million/year. 

It might take less than $2.5 million, but the overpay is also because it's a one year deal. But hey if we can get him for less, even better.

It seems like semantics because we let him walk or he let us go, but if we can, we should look at it for way more than he made last year (we actually paid $26.3K per win, which is dirt cheap).

In other news, Elliot Friedman sounds pretty sure that the cap is going to be $81.5M and stay low the following year too. This should squeeze a couple of teams. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess I just like paying for results more than what we call someone. Darling was what we called our #1. We paid him $4.15 million each of the past two years. He played 43 games for us two years ago. He got us 13 wins. That's $319K per win (not counting this past year (just double it)). If we had paid McE $2.5 million last year, he got us 20 wins, it would have been $125K per win. OK OK. Mongo is a bad comparison. Lets go with our actual #1 Ward. 23 wins for $3.3 million. $143K per win. 

But wait, McE also got us 3 playoff wins. Those are worth even more, but we don't pay him more. So including playoffs, 23 wins for McE would have been $108,695 per win at $2.5 million/year. 

It might take less than $2.5 million, but the overpay is also because it's a one year deal. But hey if we can get him for less, even better.

I wouldn't go higher than $1.5 million. Toronto might.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I wouldn't go higher than $1.5 million. Toronto might.

Fair enough. I'd probably go a bit higher. I never really got the feeling he wanted to be here though, so it probably doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Interview with Brindy

interesting note: his 88 draft he was supposed to go around 20th. They sat in sections based on their projections. It took him forever to get to the stage because he had to get around the guys who were supposed to picked before him.

He is still fired up about the Ovi & Svech fight. He still believes it was all Ovi. Mentioned about how Ovi chased around in the preseason and 4 regular season games. Ovi giving all the late hits and cross checks.  

Roddie said if there is a team to make a splash at the draft, watch the Hurricanes.  He guaranteed that if Hughes slipped we would take him at 28th (this was after Roddie asked who we were picking). 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Interview with Brindy

interesting note: his 88 draft he was supposed to go around 20th. They sat in sections based on their projections. It took him forever to get to the stage because he had to get around the guys who were supposed to picked before him.

He is still fired up about the Ovi & Svech fight. He still believes it was all Ovi. Mentioned about how Ovi chased around in the preseason and 4 regular season games. Ovi giving all the late hits and cross checks.  

Roddie said if there is a team to make a splash at the draft, watch the Hurricanes.  He guaranteed that if Hughes slipped we would take him at 28th (this was after Roddie asked who we were picking). 

LOVED that interview...and that’s what I love about Rod is that he doesn’t mince words or pull punches.

This just in: Ovi is still a prima donna punk!

The Brindy interview was terrific. He is always candid. How refreshing in the often guarded sports interviews we (fans) are generally served.

• Like 1

NHL Rule Changes 

PENALTIES FOR UNSUCCESSFUL CHALLENGES: The number of Coach's Challenges that can be made will no longer be limited based on the availability of a team's time-out. Teams will be permitted to exercise a Coach's Challenge at any time, but with escalating "consequences" for unsuccessful Challenges. The consequences of unsuccessful Coach's Challenges will be made consistent across all three Categories of Coach's Challenges: (1) minor penalty for Delaying the Game on a Club's first unsuccessful Coach's Challenge; and (2) double minor penalty for Delaying the Game for each additional Coach's Challenge that is unsuccessful.

There are several interesting changes

• Like 1