The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Mike Vellucci

"I'm thankful for my time with the Hurricanes organization," said Vellucci. "We created some great memories in Charlotte, including winning the franchise's first Calder Cup and bringing the first championship to Charlotte last season. After 27 years it's hard to leave, but I have been presented with an exciting opportunity that makes sense for my future."

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Our board is back. Apparently almost  all the NHL team message boards went dark. Hockey withdrawal, cold turkey is definitely cruel and unusual punishment

Whew...I’m in London and was thinking the British internet gods were just being ***hats to me.

Pretty much all “meh” or bad news on all fronts in the last few days:

1. Another trade for a third liner...we seem to be everyone’s go-to for cap dumping

2. We just paid how much for Toronto’s first rounder?

3. This Velucci thing has me worried that TD is going full *****d cheap...and we are about to go off a cliff.

4. Why in the **** isn’t Aho signed yet? Mark my words: if there’s any RFA out there that’s gonna get sheeted, it’s gonna be him.  

5. What in the **** do the HOF voters have against Rod?!?!

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

We all knew it was possible. I hate to see it. Thanks for the Calder and good luck.

Since Dundon bought the team, who in our coaching/management structure save Waddell and RB have not parted ways. Maybe Vellucci wants an NHL assistant job, but he was also an assistant GM of the Canes. During the Calder Cup playoffs when it was pointed out that his contract was up June 30th, I suspected this was coming. Sorry to see him go. Hope the Canes get someone of equal talent to coach in Charlotte.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

1. Another trade for a third liner...we seem to be everyone’s go-to for cap dumping

3. This Velucci thing has me worried that TD is going full *****d cheap...and we are about to go off a cliff.

4. Why in the **** isn’t Aho signed yet? Mark my words: if there’s any RFA out there that’s gonna get sheeted, it’s gonna be him.  

1. Some see Haula as a 2C. Either way he is a big upgrade over Wallmark. More than a “meh” upgrade.

2. 3.8 million, which is also a good deal.

3. Why are you worried, his contract ended and he was offered another job that he says makes sense for his future.

4. Why are Marner, Rantanen, Laine, Conner, Provorov, Tkachuk, Warenski, etc. not signed. This is how it works, it takes time when you are dealing with star players. Agents/players are waiting for the first move/the market to be set.

5. Jealously? Because he is in better shape than the HOF committee? Who knows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Whew...I’m in London and was thinking the British internet gods were just being ***hats to me.

I pretty much agree with all this. 

1.We have cap space, picks, excess D and prospects. WHY CANT WE GET A TRUE 2c? I understand the Haula trade but its only decent to underwhelming. Also the Dehaan trade is poop. 

2. We could spend that 4 million on a free agent!

3. I dont blame V

4. He isnt signed bc we offered 6 mil. I understand, start low. Supposedly the counter was 9 mil x 5

5.  IKR?!

8 hours ago, OBXer said:

We all knew it was possible. I hate to see it. Thanks for the Calder and good luck.

This concerns me.  I'd understand it if he moved to an NHL position, but another AHL head coaching job?  The only thing that would somewhat alleviate my concern is if we learn that JR told him he'd be in line for the Pitt HC job if they decide to ax Sullivan somewhere down the line.  Which would be strange, but who knows given how disappointing a season Pitt had. 

• Like 1

More jump on the cheap talks.

Haula is a fantastic addition as he does everything Rod would want in a player. He is capable of adding 25 goals. Speed. Triple Speed.

I don’t like the Marleau deal because the additional 6.25 million in cap kills our chances of getting a top 6 FA. I do like it from the fact that you get another first rounder in a stacked draft.

V was leaving. What stinks is he is going to be Pittsburgh’s coach within a year. Pittsburgh’s coach will get fired because JR sucks at his job

i dislike the CDH move because we’re keeping Faulk.  

14 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

What a wet blanket. Must be the weather there.

15 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

3. This Velucci thing has me worried that TD is going full *****d cheap...and we are I am about to go off a cliff.

Typical.

15 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Go have a hot toddy friend and 2 aspirins, things will look better when you get back to the States. Free Agency starts Monday, and like every other year, I don't think we'll be leading the pack on some of the big names out there, I do think we'll make some solid moves (crosses fingers and toes and whatever else he can). 

Toronto's deal did result in another 1st this upcoming draft which is said to be a banner one, thus could yield a very good player oor could be a chip in a meaningful trade?

Aho signing is imminent and all I can say to the offer sheet myth, is Do Your Best, as it will be matched.

Vellucci no doubt has higher aspirations and we will see his plan unfold shortly. No amount of money, titles or whatever would curb that, so just have to say thanks.

And if by Haula you are referring to our most recent trade, if his knee is healed, you are going to be amazed?

Now back to your hot toddy, tea and crumpets or whatever, our "decision committee" and Waddell has this.  

19 hours ago, Kyrule said:

1. Some see Haula as a 2C. Either way he is a big upgrade over Wallmark. More than a “meh” upgrade.

2. 3.8 million, which is also a good deal.

3. Why are you worried, his contract ended and he was offered another job that he says makes sense for his future.

4. Why are Marner, Rantanen, Laine, Conner, Provorov, Tkachuk, Warenski, etc. not signed. This is how it works, it takes time when you are dealing with star players. Agents/players are waiting for the first move/the market to be set.

5. Jealously? Because he is in better shape than the HOF committee? Who knows.

Coming off a season ending injury that occurred early in the season) and learning a new system, I’m not convinced that Haula comes out blazing. He’ll be needing to shake off a lot of rust.

21 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Dundon paid $4M for a 1st rounder and you are still beating the “he’s cheap” drum?

I'm guessing Vellucci got some sort of verbal commitment to be on the short list for HC in Pittsburgh at such time as they need one. I have to think in Raleigh there wasn't even room behind our bench to assist as our assistants are pretty secure too. A coach wins a Calder and his stock jumps up. But it can fade fast too if he doesn't get a shot.

Also the Checkers will have a harder time repeating. First, it's hard to repeat. Second, we've traded Saarela, the team's 30 goal scorer and Roy a prominent center. I think Necas will be with the Canes, and even Ned might. I still expect Charlotte to be good, but the coach's stock is probably peaking. Moving onto another challenge sort of makes sense in that way too.

I don't know about salary. Our owner has shown some cost consciousness at levels that seem odd (GM, Radio Announcer), so who knows. My bet is more about the path forward.

3 hours ago

GM Don Waddell tells the fans that Curtis McElhinney will be headed elsewhere. As for Mrazek: "We're still talking with Petr daily, hourly."

Not much new to report from the State of the on a new contract for Sebastian Aho. GM Don Waddell: "I feel very confident we will get a deal done. It's probably not going to happen today or tomorrow."

3 hours ago

Waddell says "I'm confident we will have a No. 1 goalie."

Waddell says Canes will be looking to add depth in free agency, says not to expect "big guys like Panarin to be coming to Raleigh."

Word was McE wanted 2 years. Maybe the sticking point. Or maybe he just didn't want to play here.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Word was McE wanted 2 years. Maybe the sticking point. Or maybe he just didn't want to play here.

I never got the feeling we were going to sign McE or that he was going to sign. With both sides saying there was interest it was possible but I always thought unlikely. With the contract for Ned it is apparent he is in the plan if not this season then next. If McE wanted 2 years it probable didn't fit. If I'm McE though and at his age coming off a good season I don't blame him for wanting a little security.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

I see the caps have been talking to Ferland.  I would like to see the Canes sign him. We need some bigger and physical player.

Haula qualifies 

8 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

I see the caps have been talking to Ferland.  I would like to see the Canes sign him. We need some bigger and physical player.

Depending on his medical report I'd do Ferland at 3-4 years x $3.5m.   Can't see him accepting that without testing the free agent market, though.

13 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

No doubt, but he got hurt last year and then sort of petered out for some unknown reason. Toward the end, he appeared to get on the coach's bad list by reputedly taking himself out of games? Now whether that was true, and he was attempting to "save himself" for his UFA contract, that I understand, or not, we'll never know, but I think the consensus is that unless he takes a "team discount", it's doubtful he'll be back?

Edited by KJUNKANE

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Haula qualifies 

For what? I doubt we want him in a role like Ferland played? Besides, is he known as a "hitter"?

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

No doubt, but he got hurt last year and then sort of petered out for some unknown reason. Toward the end, he appeared to get on the coach's bad list by reputedly taking himself out of games? Now whether that was true, and he was attempting to "save himself" for his UFA contract, that I understand, or nor, we'll never know, but I think the consensus is that unless he takes a "team discount", it's doubtful he'll be back?

Yea, you are right but the canes seem to be getting smaller after all the talk last summer about getting bigger and more physical. Maybe Waddell can make a trade for someone. I can think of two Debrusk from Boston or Thachuk from Calgary. 

Edited by playruffcaniac