Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Recommended Posts

I think they need to acquire at least 2 right-handed forwards in free agency; they have none right now (if Williams leaves)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Leivo from the Canucks, Denis Malgin or Jayce Hawryluk from the Panthers, Stefan Noesen from the Devils (who did well against the Hurricanes two years ago, with 3 goals in 4 games against us), Oskar Sundqvist from the Stanley Cup winning Blues, Pontus Aberg from the Wild, Joel Armia from the Canadiens, or Colton Sissons from the Predators. In my opinion, Sissons, Noesen, or Sundqvist are the best options for the Canes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

Josh Leivo from the Canucks, Denis Malgin or Jayce Hawryluk from the Panthers, Stefan Noesen from the Devils (who did well against the Hurricanes two years ago, with 3 goals in 4 games against us), Oskar Sundqvist from the Stanley Cup winning Blues, Pontus Aberg from the Wild, Joel Armia from the Canadiens, or Colton Sissons from the Predators. In my opinion, Sissons, Noesen, or Sundqvist are the best options for the Canes

 

I'm not thinking a trade between us and the Canadiens is very likely for awhile...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

 

I'm not thinking a trade between us and the Canadiens is very likely for awhile...

You may be taking this too seriously.  The Canadiens made Aho an offer, completely within the boundaries of the CBA.  If you are at a job and a competitor makes you an offer, that in turn you bring to your boss as leverage for him/her to match or beat, do you think your coworkers go around thinking the competitor is lame, or not worthy doing business with?  Of course not.  The offer will probably hurt the Canadiens more than the Canes, as their resources to sign other available FA's is tied up for a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to acquire at least 2 right-handed forwards through free agency. Some examples are Denis Malgin/Jayce Hawryluk from the Panthers, Joel Armia from the Canadiens (who Aho might go to😰), Colton Sissons from the Predators, Pontus Aberg from the Wild, Stefan Noesen from the Devils (who did well against the Hurricanes 2 seasons ago, with 3 goals in 4 games as a 4th line player), Josh Leivo from the Canucks, and Oskar Sundqvist from the Stanley Cup winning Blues. 

 

In my opinion, Sundqvist, Sissons, and Noesen would be our best bets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW:

 

”Once again, the Carolina Hurricanes should not be underestimated. We have a plan and all the resources to win a Stanley Cup.”

 

You gotta love it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We definitely do not have everything we need; we can’t win a Stanley Cup with only left-handed forwards. That’s just not going to happen. Usually teams don’t even have a line that has all 3 of the same hand. We need to get someone else who is pretty young, can kill penalties, can score, and has playoff experience. Sissons and Sundqvist fill up all of that, and that is what we’re missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

We definitely do not have everything we need; we can’t win a Stanley Cup with only left-handed forwards. That’s just not going to happen. Usually teams don’t even have a line that has all 3 of the same hand. We need to get someone else who is pretty young, can kill penalties, can score, and has playoff experience. Sissons and Sundqvist fill up all of that, and that is what we’re missing

 

3 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

And what is that “plan” exactly, Waddell?

 

It was a comment he made regarding us matching the offer sheet.

 

Sorry DW hasn’t publicly laid out the team’s plans for you.

 

Congratulations on knowing exactly what we need.

 

Some of you need professional help.

 

😞

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

Can’t really tell if that was sarcasm through this

 

Sarcasm Alert! 🚨 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beboplar said:

You may be taking this too seriously.  The Canadiens made Aho an offer, completely within the boundaries of the CBA.  If you are at a job and a competitor makes you an offer, that in turn you bring to your boss as leverage for him/her to match or beat, do you think your coworkers go around thinking the competitor is lame, or not worthy doing business with?  Of course not.  The offer will probably hurt the Canadiens more than the Canes, as their resources to sign other available FA's is tied up for a week.

I agree. They're all professionals and I'm sure DW respects the move MB made. The fact that we matched so quickly instead of lolly-gagging suggests that DW still has some respect for his fellow GMs and isn't going to be petty about this. It would only sour future relationships. So good on DW + TD for the quick response.

 

I also like that our front office is showing some teeth. I don't know anything about TD but it's very likely he's no pushover. Perhaps in private, he's scrambling right now with his lawyers and accountants to try and come up with the money to pay Seabass within the next little bit. But at least he's putting on a tough public face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex C. said:

We definitely do not have everything we need; we can’t win a Stanley Cup with only left-handed forwards. That’s just not going to happen. Usually teams don’t even have a line that has all 3 of the same hand. We need to get someone else who is pretty young, can kill penalties, can score, and has playoff experience. Sissons and Sundqvist fill up all of that, and that is what we’re missing

I have been harping on the lack of RH shooting forwards for about a year now.  They do have Necas and Gauthier, who will compete for roster positions.  I am not sure if Geekie is RH or LH.  They traded away Nicholas Roy, who was RH.  If JW comes back he is RH.  I do agree that at least two RH shooting forwards should be a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex C. said:

I really hope we switch up our lineup more...

 

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

We Sveched our lineup last year already

 

Yeah, but I've got a feeling it's going to be Sveched up even more this year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to go back to the Marleau issue but I am bored and the news in the hockey world is kind of slow right now.   I just noticed on CapFriendly that our cap hit for Marleau in 2019/2020 is $6,250,000.   I always thought that when a buyout occurs that you take it out over a few years.  In the case of that russian dude that I am not supposed to name we are still paying him $2,333,333 through 2020/2021 season.  So....the cap hit for Marleau is really bafflng to me as to why we made this move to begin with.  That is a lot of money for a 1st round pick and if history proves anything not all 1st round picks are successful.   Hopefully Toronto will slip us some money under the table because they feel bad for ripping us off.   O.K. - I am not bored anymore.   Go Canes !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I hate to go back to the Marleau issue but I am bored and the news in the hockey world is kind of slow right now.   I just noticed on CapFriendly that our cap hit for Marleau in 2019/2020 is $6,250,000.   I always thought that when a buyout occurs that you take it out over a few years.  In the case of that russian dude that I am not supposed to name we are still paying him $2,333,333 through 2020/2021 season.  So....the cap hit for Marleau is really bafflng to me as to why we made this move to begin with.  That is a lot of money for a 1st round pick and if history proves anything not all 1st round picks are successful.   Hopefully Toronto will slip us some money under the table because they feel bad for ripping us off.   O.K. - I am not bored anymore.   Go Canes !!

 

No cap relief when buying out a 35yo plus player.  Marleau had a NTC and it's almost certain he wouldn't have agreed to waive it unless he had prior agreement from the Canes that they'd buy him out.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does the “no cap relief” mean exactly? I heard some people on NHL Tonight talking about it. The Canes received Marleau, a 1st round pick, and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick. Toronto knew they would’ve had to give up more for the Canes to take over his salary. I am still kind of confused on how we’re actually “buying him out” since he’s over 35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LakeLivin - So did Carolina pay Marleau  $6.25M probably knowing we were just going to move him along?   Or is it just a cap hit thing?  If so....man I wish someone would pay me not to work for that kind of money.   I will get over this after this post but I must be really naive on the ways of NHL business matters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snuffy72 said:

LakeLivin - So did Carolina pay Marleau  $6.25M probably knowing we were just going to move him along?   Or is it just a cap hit thing?  If so....man I wish someone would pay me not to work for that kind of money.   I will get over this after this post but I must be really naive on the ways of NHL business matters.  

Canes end up paying around $3.8 million to buy out the remainder of the contract.

 

8 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

What does the “no cap relief” mean exactly? I heard some people on NHL Tonight talking about it. The Canes received Marleau, a 1st round pick, and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick. Toronto knew they would’ve had to give up more for the Canes to take over his salary. I am still kind of confused on how we’re actually “buying him out” since he’s over 35

Players that sign a contract when they're 35 or older can still be bought out, you just don't get to spread out the cap hit over a longer period of time (as you can when the contract was signed before age 35). So instead of a roughly $3 million hit both this year and next year, the Canes have to assume the full amount this season (hence, "no relief" from a Canes perspective).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex C. said:

What does the “no cap relief” mean exactly? I heard some people on NHL Tonight talking about it. The Canes received Marleau, a 1st round pick, and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick. Toronto knew they would’ve had to give up more for the Canes to take over his salary. I am still kind of confused on how we’re actually “buying him out” since he’s over 35

We bought him by paying 2/3rds of his actual salary plus signing bonuses not to play for us.

 

his actual salary was 1.25 million. We are paying 483k this season and next for 2/3rds. We are also paying his 3 million signing bonus this year.  

 

Being over 35 we don’t get any cap relief on the buyout though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Marleau deal wasn't about ensuring we had a 1st round pick next year incase we decided to pursue an offer sheet on someone. Given how easy TD makes writing Aho's checks sound, I doubt this one hardly registered for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 12:31 AM, gocanes0506 said:

V was leaving. What stinks is he is going to be Pittsburgh’s coach within a year. Pittsburgh’s coach will get fired because JR sucks at his job

 

 

So much for that.

 

Sullivan extended 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...