The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

22 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

To do list:

1. Find someone...ANYONE...who can actually coach a power play.  PK skills a bonus after this ECF disaster.

2. Re-up both goalies.  IMO, Pete for 4x$6M, Mac for 2x$2.5M.  Buy out Mongo while we’re at it.

3. Trade for a CONSISTENT scorer.  I’d dangle Faulk and Fleury as bait.  

4. Re-up J-Willy on a 1-2 year contract. He still has gas in the tank.

5. Pay Seabass!

I agree with most of this, but I can’t see us paying Mrazek $6 million/year, or even going to a 4 year term. He played less than 50 regular season games. Also, as I recall, he had one good year in Detroit, followed by a big drop off. Don’t want another Mongo situation. Would love to re-sign him but I think $6 million is very high for what he has accomplished. I also think Ned will be on the team next year, making the likelihood of bringing back McE low. And there are definitely other suitors out there who would love to have McE as a backup. I don’t think he is suited to playing more games than he did for us this year. I don’t know the answers, and at this point will have to trust management to sort out the goaltending position successfully. Having said that, had Darling not gotten injured at the perfect time and McE fallen into our lap, how different would this year have been? Our success at addressing goaltending is the biggest key to how next year goes, I think.

• Like 1

Hi, folks.

Haven't been around much - health issues and too-busy work schedule has seen to that.

Great season just ended. The team overachieved, or at least didn't allow their late-2018 slump to steal the playoffs prize from them. Good on them for heart, will and effort.

The offseason is time to evaluate, plan and execute to make the team better. There are several things that the Hurricanes need to do, and I know you've all heard these over and over:

1) Sign Aho. Yeah, his production fell off at the end of the year, but he did have that knee-to-knee collision that could have been the cause of that. Still, he's the best closest thing they have to a scorer, so they need to lock him up.

2) Decide what to do with goaltending. Mrazek and McElhinney were a good tandem this past season, but I don't know if I really trust them. Mrazek has run hot and cold in the past, so is it worth giving him #1 money yet? Ned needs to see more NHL shots, I think, and even he has had his bad spells in the past in the AHL. There are some high-profile goalies out there, but therein lies the rub - the team has staked itself to someone who seemed on the upswing but hasn't, for whatever reason, put it together, and that would make anyone wary of signing someone who is talented but unproven. Talented and proven can be expensive, of course.

3) Upgrade the power play and penalty kill. Is that coaches, players, system? Probably all of that, I'd say. I'm not saying blow up the coaching staff or the team, but at least look back on the season just ended and see what teams with good power plays and penalty kills were doing differently. Bring in a player or a few who can do the jobs that need to be done.

4) Sort out who wants to come back of the FAs, what they can contribute and what they're worth to the team. This will require looking at these new metrics that the team has supposedly been using this past season, to see if and where guys fit. This is often where people can get overly optimistic about predicting a player's performance next season based on last. Not singling him out for any reason other than he was mentioned in this thread, but I can't see Martinook "blossoming" into a 20-goal scorer next season. He had 15 in 2018-19, and that might well be his high-water mark (I don't know his history). He does bring intangibles, which were noticed quite obviously.

Actually, maybe I should have started with a step 0. I don't know if there's any truth to the stuff that someone posted not long ago about GMDW maybe saying "I did you guys a favor this past season and served as GM, but I don't want to continue into the future", but if there is, that's gotta be resolved before anything else - "committee" notwithstanding. And if GMDW doesn't want to continue, I suggest MOTD (majority owner, you know) take a look at what Ken Holland is being paid....

Sorry for the remkinesque post, since you've all read stuff like this already. Just my fractions of a cent....

37 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Hell, just make Rod coach and GM if Don leaves ;)

Totally agree...as far as personnel decisions go I believe HCRB is already the GM...

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Hell, just make Rod coach and GM if Don leaves ;)

Seriously, we know that Rod’s voice is heard loud and clear by TD and Waddell and whoever else is in charge. But a GM has so many responsibilities and Rod has one year of experience as a head coach. Combining the two jobs would be a mistake. Waddell had a fantastic year, and I had zero expectations for him. That said, it is apparent from everything in this thread there is a ton to be done this offseason. I’m still not convinced long-term Waddell should be our guy. Need a much larger sample size. He certainly deserves the chance if he wants it. But if not, after the season we had, if Dundon will pay market rate, there should be a lot of qualified guys who would love to be our GM. Sorting that out has to be job one, and I suspect if Waddell wants to give up the GM role, it will happen pretty soon. No news for a couple weeks should mean he is staying for now at least. Can’t imagine he’d drag that out with the draft and free agency coming up. But whatever decision he makes, thanks Don for a fantastic season!

Kicked off my hockey offseason by watching my Cubbies spank the Nationals 14-6 at Nats Park. Baseball isn’t doing it right now though. Already missing the greatest show on ice #TakeWarning

On 5/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, AWACSooner said:

2. Re-up both goalies.  IMO, Pete for 4x$6M, Mac for 2x$2.5M.  Buy out Mongo while we’re at it.

Wouldn’t Alex Nedeljkovic get one of those goalie slots on the big club next year?  He’s developed exactly as you dream about for a goalie and accomplished everything you can ask for in the AHL; deep playoff run, all star, goalie of the year award.  I like too that he didn’t wet his pads on his one big call-up opportunity this year, getting the start in Vancouver where the Canes never win, he was solid in the 5-2 victory, shutting the door after the Canucks went up 2-1.  His NHL stats are limited but juicy in two appearances, 1.33 GAA and .953 save percentage.  

Dundon  is the owner and Waddle is the navigator   but Brind'Amour is the leader of this team .  Williams  might have the C    but he is just Co-Captain to Brindy  in the direction of this team .   Us Canes Fans are in lucky Territory ! 

Disclaimer: I think this every off-season. But really, this time is different.

That said, I really think this could be a very interesting, even pivotal off-season. 

The team has shown that they are worthy of upgrades to put them seriously in the hunt for a long time. Dundon, just spent many times over what it would take on a failed football league so it's hard to think he would not put some fat stacks down. He's also seen the difference between a building so empty that he can invite the entire upper deck to the lower deck, and a sold out, standing room only, loudest house in the NHL. How could he not see what could be if he builds a seriously competitive team here? Also, he must have made some stacks on the playoffs. 

Further though, unlike uber-patient, galacial-paced builder Ron Francis, the new committee has already made more moves than any prior GM's in a  similar time frame. Such as:

Dundon agreed to pay key piece Calvin DeHaan. And agreed to keep paying Mongo without forcing him to keep playing due to his paycheck. (I know he had to keep paying him, but some regimes would then feel the need to keep playing him. That was probably the most pivotal decision of the entire year, allowing us to grab McElhinney and ride Mrazek). They waived goodbye to their top goal scorer, despite low return (because someone else gave Skinner a NTC, and Skinner limited the options). They made one of, if not the blockbuster trade of the off-season with Calgary, and definitely the heist of the year grabbing Nino for Rask). And this does not count the epic decision to go with a first time head coach, and a first time Captain. 

What I'm saying is that this is not a group that has shown any sort of Francisian tendencies to sit back and watch. This is a committee that has, unlike a lot of committees, acted boldly so far. Well there are a lot of actions that could and will take place this off-season, and it definitely feels different than the off-seasons under the Francis and even JR regimes. Wouldn't it make sense to make hay while the sun is shining? Has there ever been a more perfect time to make some final moves to put us over the top? 

We have 3 draft picks in a 10 pick range between the end of the first and start of the second, and 3 total second rounders. We have tradable assets in the system and on D. We have vast tracts of cap space. We are flush with playoff cash and new STH sales are way up. Interest in Raleigh and around the league is high. 

The iron is hot. Time to strike.

• Like 5

To piggyback off what you are saying Rem, imagine what a devastating blow it would be to the fan base and the growing interest in the Canes if we missed the playoffs next year.

That’s why I’m scared of the “we like our group” mentality. But like you pointed out, Brindy said we overachieved so that is basically saying we are not on par with more talented teams.

Go out and get some players that will help ensure we make the playoffs again, rather than hoping that another year of experience is enough. Also, we gave one hell of a consistent effort this year, can we sustain that type of effort again and will it be enough?

Of course this is easier said than done, but I would really like to see management send a clear message that we are looking to make another, less surprising run.

• Like 2

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the player exit interviews this year. During the past decade of futility you pretty much knew how they were going to go. This year? I’m not so sure...Dundon seems to me to be a “what have you done for me lately” kinda guy.

If so I hope he can look past that and properly appreciate the amazing over achievements of this group. 

I’m tempted to then urge him to spend the necessary money (perhaps even to the cap) to get us over the top but on second thought how many examples have we seen of teams spending crazy money to absolutely no avail? 

18 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

You realize I was being facetious, right?

Nope. Rod does walk on water with some, and he certainly proved he is a great coach. Can’t think of a HC/GM since I started following hockey, though. Should have seen that coming.

32 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Reports are saying Bobrovsky and Panarin are in Florida .  Maybe the panthers is their next destination with Coach Q  leading the Helm there . 

Panthers will have to shed salary for both

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

To piggyback off what you are saying Rem, imagine what a devastating blow it would be to the fan base and the growing interest in the Canes if we missed the playoffs next year.

That’s why I’m scared of the “we like our group” mentality. But like you pointed out, Brindy said we overachieved so that is basically saying we are not on par with more talented teams.

Go out and get some players that will help ensure we make the playoffs again, rather than hoping that another year of experience is enough. Also, we gave one hell of a consistent effort this year, can we sustain that type of effort again and will it be enough?

Of course this is easier said than done, but I would really like to see management send a clear message that we are looking to make another, less surprising run.

yeah the thing is that this year we made it by one point with a lot going right and a crazy run and huge effort. Meanwhile other teams will keep getting better. If Florida adds Bob and Panarin they'll be instant picks to push someone out of the playoffs next year. NYR and NJ getting the top two elite picks in the draft, NYR get Fox. etc. We need to keep improving. We will get better as Svech, Aho, Foegele, mature, and Necas eventually, but I can't help but think we should add to that to keep up and move to the next level.

23 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Panthers will have to shed salary for both

I’ll take Trochek...cause Barkov isn’t going anywhere ;)

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I’ll take Trochek...cause Barkov isn’t going anywhere ;)

They have 22 million right now with 15 roster players.  They’ll have to find someone to take on a goalie to get both. Luongo could be a great move for Ottawa. 3.6 million over 3 years actual money but a 4.53 cap hit. 

They could have ~5.33 million in space with 16 roster spots, needing a defender and 3 forwards at a minimum.  They could move Hoffman to give them another 5 million in space.  

I doubt we see a young roster player moved.  

One quick thought here, as cruel as it might be, what a tone setter it would be if Brind'Amour would post 4-0 above the doorway entrance to the players' locker room? That could serve as a permanent reminder of that sinking feeling to end this past season? Business unfinished!!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

One quick thought here, as cruel as it might be, what a tone setter it would be if Brind'Amour would post 4-0 above the doorway entrance to the players' locker room? That could serve as a permanent reminder of that sinking feeling to end this past season? Business unfinished!!!!

They know. There is no need to remind them of their failures. Boston was the far superior team. Instead, remind them about the second half of the season, the first two rounds of the playoffs, and what can be accomplished when they play together.

It is an interesting question on motivation. This group far exceeded expectations. But then they ran up against the limits of their current abilities. Of course it's natural for us to expect them to just pick up that same effort, and maintain it all season and beyond and hopefully they will. But I can't help but think it would give them even more push if they clearly saw that ownership and management is not expecting the same group to do the same thing or better without any upgrades. 

If one were cynical, one could say as a player, well we worked our hinders off, and it was a great run, but it also showed that in terms of a cup it was futile in that we ultimately run into a more talented team and lose badly. We work our fingers to the bone only to eventually hit a team that destroys us. So let's do that again. 

Whereas, if management goes out and makes an upgrade or two up front (especially ones that help scoring and PP), they can think, "OK, this time, after we work our hearts out, and we face that talented team, we are equal to it. This time it's really going to pay off." 

I'm probably overthinking that end of it, but I would think that a couple of skill injection upgrades would lift spirits. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm probably overthinking that end of it, but I would think that a couple of skill injection upgrades would lift spirits. 

I’m sure that’ll be highlighted and reiterated this week during exit interviews.

I'm still celebrating this teams accomplishments. I can't quite bring myself to think beyond this exhilarating and exhausting season. I will watch the exit interviews with interest and then turn my attention to next season. For now I'm still amazed at just how far this youthful team made a deep run in the playoffs.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

It is an interesting question on motivation. This group far exceeded expectations. But then they ran up against the limits of their current abilities. Of course it's natural for us to expect them to just pick up that same effort, and maintain it all season and beyond and hopefully they will. But I can't help but think it would give them even more push if they clearly saw that ownership and management is not expecting the same group to do the same thing or better without any upgrades. 

If one were cynical, one could say as a player, well we worked our hinders off, and it was a great run, but it also showed that in terms of a cup it was futile in that we ultimately run into a more talented team and lose badly. We work our fingers to the bone only to eventually hit a team that destroys us. So let's do that again. 

Whereas, if management goes out and makes an upgrade or two up front (especially ones that help scoring and PP), they can think, "OK, this time, after we work our hearts out, and we face that talented team, we are equal to it. This time it's really going to pay off." 

This season is still part of the rebuild, and their first smell of success. It also shows what further steps need to be taken to finish the rebuild. Work in progress. They are not done, but the foundation is more solid than it has been for a long time.