The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

my concern with those three on a line is the defensive liability. 

True. Haula is a very solid two way guy from what Forslund and others have said. And Necas was plus 20. But man could those guys fly!

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Aho and TT are very defensively responsible.  Dzingle and Necas would probably need to get some favorable match ups. 

Nice article on the Canes moves so far this summer:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/no-big-splash-but-the-hurricanes-effective-summer-sets-stage-for-success-next-season

Here's an interesting excerpt; I had no idea how well Mrazek stacked up in some of these stats last season.

"Of the 43 goaltenders who played at least 1,500 minutes at 5-on-5 last season, Mrazek ranked ninth in save percentage (.931), sixth in high-danger save percentage (.863) and 10th in goals saved above average per 60 minutes (.31)."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Nice article on the Canes moves so far this summer:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/no-big-splash-but-the-hurricanes-effective-summer-sets-stage-for-success-next-season

Here's an interesting excerpt; I had no idea how well Mrazek stacked up in some of these stats last season.

"Of the 43 goaltenders who played at least 1,500 minutes at 5-on-5 last season, Mrazek ranked ninth in save percentage (.931), sixth in high-danger save percentage (.863) and 10th in goals saved above average per 60 minutes (.31)."

That is interesting. I'm pretty sure his end of season splits are better than the start too. If he can repeat that, I really like our group!

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Then cover them with Slavin/Pesce?

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 3:55 PM, LakeLivin said:

Pretty sure that's the case.  I was surprised how often we got the ok to wear a dark jersey on the road last year.

I did hear that the Canes have a new white jersey on tap for the season.  It'll be interesting to see what they did with it.

What's the team's official color palette? I read somewhere that is it red, black, silver and white.

How about, instead of white sweaters on the road, they wear silver as the main color? It would require a little messing with the sightless eye, replacing any silver on the logo with white, but that should be a pretty minor change. Of course, that would all depend on whether the NHL would accept something light-colored in lieu of white....

I may have to go over and read the old sweater thread to see if anyone came up with that idea. TD, are you listening? 😉

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Then cover them with Slavin/Pesce?

Pesce/Faulk.  Slavin will be protecting Hamilton.

just got done watching on nhl network  Carolina hurricanes  day   and  going  back watching  the cup  and playoff wins the canes  had .   It felt so surreal   as it did back then .   There was a sense of magic in the air that kind of told you  that something special was going to happen in those playoff runs   especially the cup win .    And when i say this im  not lying to any of you ,  this year in the playoffs  despite going to the ecf   just didnt have the same feel or magic   as those previous  playoff runs to me .  something felt off  like  it was not our year  .     I dont know if  that  is common with other fan's let alone players  but that  feeling of    " this is our fate to win  this year "  just never registered  .  if anything it felt more like an appetizer  for what's to come in the future  but not now .  But what a great day to sit back and watch  what was put on the nhl network . The one glaring thought that kept  crossing my mind while i was watching all of those  playoff games and  the cup win is  We  NEED  MR.  GAME 7 NEXT SEASON !   Something just tells me that the canes Really do need  Justin Williams to give us 1 more year   and in doing so   something big will happen .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

2 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

What's the team's official color palette? I read somewhere that is it red, black, silver and white.

How about, instead of white sweaters on the road, they wear silver as the main color? It would require a little messing with the sightless eye, replacing any silver on the logo with white, but that should be a pretty minor change. Of course, that would all depend on whether the NHL would accept something light-colored in lieu of white....

I may have to go over and read the old sweater thread to see if anyone came up with that idea. TD, are you listening? 😉

I haven't heard anything other than new "whites". 

Funny you should mention the sightless eye on the whites, as it happens to be a pet peeve of mine. The silver outer edge blends into the white jersey, making the eye  look even smaller than it is.  To me it looks downright wimpy compared to almost every other crest in the league.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I haven't heard anything other than new "whites". 

Funny you should mention the sightless eye on the whites, as it happens to be a pet peeve of mine. The silver outer edge blends into the white jersey, making the eye  look even smaller than it is.  To me it looks downright wimpy compared to almost every other crest in the league.

That's why I would want that redesigned. Make the outline black or red on the "whites", which would draw the eye (pardon the pun) more and make the crest look bigger.

Then again, that would probably mean the team would have to apply for copyrights/trademarks on the new-look sightless eye as well as the old one, but I think it would be good to have a little variety there. I don't know if the NHL would like that - do they require the crest to remain the same on the home and away sweaters, but not on the alternates?

2 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

That's why I would want that redesigned. Make the outline black or red on the "whites", which would draw the eye (pardon the pun) more and make the crest look bigger.

Then again, that would probably mean the team would have to apply for copyrights/trademarks on the new-look sightless eye as well as the old one, but I think it would be good to have a little variety there. I don't know if the NHL would like that - do they require the crest to remain the same on the home and away sweaters, but not on the alternates?

I'm only speculating but I'd be surprised if the league had a restriction along those lines.  I'd think the desire to keep the crest the same might be more related to manufacturing costs, taking into account the gear they're selling to fans as much as the team's uniforms. 

You prompted me to take a quick peek at my files back from when this was an active burr under my saddle, and I found the following mock up I made.  In addition to solving the problem with the silver outline, I made the eye just a tad fatter and rotated it a couple degrees from the almost horizontal setting they're currently using.   I pasted this on both the home and away jerseys and it made a big difference.

Canes logos.jpg

On 5/17/2019 at 1:38 AM, AWACSooner said:

There is one Martin Necas who begs to differ ;)

That's why I'm ok with dangling Faulk and Fleury.  Faulk because I don't want to lose Pesce, Slavin, Dougie, Calvin, or even TVR.  Fleury because I think he needs a change of scenery and I WANT him to succeed.  He's paid his dues, it's just not working for him here on the scoring end.

You think it would make sense to put the new players on the same line? Haula in between Dzingel and Gibbons?

42 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

You think it would make sense to put the new players on the same line? Haula in between Dzingel and Gibbons?

Can't see a way Gibbons ends up in Raleigh.

Gibbons is a depth player who will only get to the show as an emergency call up. He is a career AHLer and will likely perform quite well in CLT.

On the re-branding of the road jersey, I expect the crest will be the hurricane warning flags to match the home black, and the current reds will serve as the alternate.

Can't wait to see what the Canes do - anybody remember when they would usually roll this out?

• Like 2

To me that's as bad as the existing.  I think it's going to be a total rebrand.

I'd really like to see how a silver/grey as the primary color would look.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

To me that's as bad as the existing.  I think it's going to be a total rebrand.

I'd really like to see how a silver/grey as the primary color would look.  

It’ll come down to the NHL accepting Grey as our road colors instead of white. That would open up a door for every other team. Costing Adidas money too (probably the biggest approval authority in this).

Is there an ordinance saying it has to be white?  Yellow has been in the past obviously - not that yellow would work for the Canes but if yellow, why not a silver/lighter grey?

28 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

Do you think David Cotton is angling to be a free agent next year by playing his senior year at BC?  

Supposedly not. He wants to leave BC better than what it is now. We’ll see come April.