Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:
3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

 

Williams  still has not renewed a contract with the canes  and all signs point to him possibly retiring

Not sure what signs you are referring to here Cff? As far as I'm concerned he's just being very deliberate in the decision, as is his right at this potential end point in his illustrious and distinguished career. In my opinion, as much as he apparently loves the area and no doubt, the team, I would believe that the longer he takes, the more that indicates he'll sign back on?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure what signs you are referring to here Cff? As far as I'm concerned he's just being very deliberate in the decision, as is his right at this potential end point in his illustrious and distinguished career. In my opinion, as much as he apparently loves the area and no doubt, the team, I would believe that the longer he takes, the more that indicates he'll sign back on?  

I doubt it .   You have to think  that if he were to sign on  that is another painful year to go through and last time i checked  he is only a year younger than me  and i could only imagine what kind of toll that is on his body  to play  in a young mans game  and be happy with himself .   If he does sign on then  Id be  happy  but at the same time i would not blame him in his decision if chose not to do so  . I just hope he is happy with what ever he chooses to do   in the end .  Don't need  regrets .   August is coming soon and   before you know it  training camp will begin the 2nd week in september .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

last time i checked  he is only a year younger than me

 

 

It's been a while since you checked.  He's 3 years younger than you now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

doubt it .   You have to think  that if he were to sign on  that is another painful year to go through and last time i checked  he is only a year younger than me  and i could only imagine what kind of toll that is on his body  to play  in a young mans game  and be happy with himself .

Well there you go, guess there's no hope for him although he is a highly trained athlete. But he better hang them up then?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure people who know him, athletes, and the team better then all of us have said the longer it takes the more it points to him returning.

I think the logic is if he was planning on returning he would do it sooner so the team could plan for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

It's been a while since you checked.  He's 3 years younger than you now.

he is 37  but will turn 38 later this year ,   im 38 now  and soon will be turning 39 . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

You have to think  that if he were to sign on  that is another painful year to go through and last time i checked  he is only a year younger than me  and i could only imagine what kind of toll that is on his body  to play  in a young mans game  and be happy with himself .

I don't think concern of "another painful year" is what is holding JW up on deciding. If it was, I think we would have gotten a Luongo like announcement as JW would already being feeling the pain as he was resuming his training.

The more likely reasons for the delay in my opinion are:

1) JW wants to make sure he can perform at the level he feels meets his standards, or

2) Is taking some time with the family to make sure they are all aboard for the grind of another season.

The fact that he is taking so long implies his desire is to play another season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I don't think concern of "another painful year" is what is holding JW up on deciding. If it was, I think we would have gotten a Luongo like announcement as JW would already being feeling the pain as he was resuming his training.

The more likely reasons for the delay in my opinion are:

1) JW wants to make sure he can perform at the level he feels meets his standards, or

2) Is taking some time with the family to make sure they are all aboard for the grind of another season.

The fact that he is taking so long implies his desire is to play another season.

And maybe #3, he’s waiting for the Canes to clear cap room for the contract he deserves. I feel given his relationship with RB if nothing else, he would have let the team know if the decision was to retire in ample time to plan for the year without him. If the goaltending holds up, I hope JW sees this team as having improved enough to have a shot to be better than last year. Now that we are a “cap” team and not a “floor” team, it may take some finagling to get Willy’s contract under the cap, but I believe he wants another kick at the can. Don’t know what it is, but I feel there is a plan to clear space for him, and not at some bargain basement price with promises of future employment, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I'm pretty sure people who know him, athletes, and the team better then all of us have said the longer it takes the more it points to him returning.

I think the logic is if he was planning on returning he would do it sooner so the team could plan for it.

I think the team already knows, and has since, oh, the day after the season ended. They're just plotting a PR coup to sell more season tix.

 

I think if the team had one dollar of cap space left, Justin would take it, and his only question would be, "How soon can we start practicing?"

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think the team already knows, and has since, oh, the day after the season ended. They're just plotting a PR coup to sell more season tix.

 

I think if the team had one dollar of cap space left, Justin would take it, and his only question would be, "How soon can we start practicing?"

I get it if JW feels the grind of another 82 game schedule at his age is a tough ask on the body. I just dont see a guy who put up 53 pts the previous year packing it in. If he scored 10 pts, yeah time to go. He cant feel that he is taking a yute's spot as 53 pts is not attainable by many. Give us another year and see where we go with our new additions.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On NHL Network they   were showing team usa vs russia  in the  wjc   2019  from earlier this year  .  I noticed  Slepets  , Kochetkov  ,  and Drury was in that game .    Canes  picked up some damn good talent  .   Slepets is insanely fast .  Drury  didnt do  much  ,  Kochetkov looked mostly lights out aside from that weak  shot 5 hole  that got him  .   Over all  im so looking forward to what they can do in training camp. 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I get it if JW feels the grind of another 82 game schedule at his age is a tough ask on the body. I just dont see a guy who put up 53 pts the previous year packing it in. If he scored 10 pts, yeah time to go. He cant feel that he is taking a yute's spot as 53 pts is not attainable by many. Give us another year and see where we go with our new additions.

When he came up with the Flyers I'd already been watching hockey for 30 years, so it was easy to see he'd be special. With over $50 million in career earnings, I doubt money is his motivator, and like you said, he's still producing like he did in his 20s. He loves it here, he is loved here, and if he can be the bridge between the last captain we had who led by example and the next, and maybe have a post-playing career with the org, I think he'll be tickled pink.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

When he came up with the Flyers I'd already been watching hockey for 30 years, so it was easy to see he'd be special. With over $50 million in career earnings, I doubt money is his motivator, and like you said, he's still producing like he did in his 20s. He loves it here, he is loved here, and if he can be the bridge between the last captain we had who led by example and the next, and maybe have a post-playing career with the org, I think he'll be tickled pink.

Maybe JW is not 100% sure that his production will not fall off the cliff due to age this year. Being a captain and posting 50 points us one thing, being captain and posting 10 point is another story. And I'm pretty sure JW will not be happy with the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Maybe JW is not 100% sure that his production will not fall off the cliff due to age this year. Being a captain and posting 50 points us one thing, being captain and posting 10 point is another story. And I'm pretty sure JW will not be happy with the latter.

JW is 100 percent enjoying his summer. He'll be back, book it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

JW is 100 percent enjoying his summer. He'll be back, book it.

You know what happened last time you said this.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to think of the last NHL player under 40 who was still highly productive, not injured, and hung up the skates anyways. I'm sure there are a few, but it is not the norm. Most players have to have to be sedated and while they're out, have their skates pried off their feet. Sometimes guys will say they will retire when the game is not fun anymore, but how could Williams say that about last year? And he's the Captain for the first time in his career playing for a coach that loves him and a fanbase that loves him. Is there an actual prop bet on this somewhere, because this should be easy money. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League Average goalies.

 

We finished the year better than that, as well as in most of the playoffs, with Mrazek playing much better down the stretch and McE helping. But for the year it was league average. 

 

I've documented this elsewhere, but for this team, league average is better than usual. As much as playoffs correlate with team scoring depth, it also correlates with team save percentage pretty tightly. Historically the team relied on Cam Ward who just never really lived up to  top 15 goalie (one year exception) and a run of pretty bad back ups and would be usurpers ending in Scott Darling. 

 

Last year things fell together and Mrazek discovered a good #1 goalie game, and McE was a gift from on high. 

 

Can it continue? This, to me is the big question. The biggest "if" in the pile. But IF Mrazek can pick up where he left off. If he has fixed his game rather than just had an up in a long up and down career, and IF we can get league average back up goaltending out of some combination of Reimer, Ned, Forsling or "other". Then I really don't see us missing the playoffs.

 

Reimer has had very good NHL seasons. Last year was not one of them, but just about every other year has been good enough for back up work. I have no ability to predict goalie play, but Reimer's last year being an outlier is not unlikely, and if it wasn't, then Ned tore up the AHL, as did Forsling, so there are options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBC Sports did a write-up on best and worst special teams in the NHL. We made the best of the worst list.

 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/26/some-surprises-among-nhls-worst-special-teams-units/

 

Carolina Hurricanes: even last season, -2 overall. For all that’s holy, put Dougie Hamilton on the first unit instead of Justin Faulk. C’mon.

 

 

I heard people saying the same thing in Calgary. Not sure why coaches don't put him on the first unit. Seems like a decent idea to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gusev traded to Devils from Vegas. Canes doesn't have cap space for him anyway but I'd better have him traded to a West team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Gusev traded to Devils from Vegas. Canes doesn't have cap space for him anyway but I'd better have him traded to a West team.

I was hoping we could take a shot at him, especially if Williams retired, but agree, the West would be better. Vegas probably thought the East would be better to get him out of their conference. Devils get him for a second and third rounder. If he's as good as it seems that is a steal. They also get Taylor Hall back, Jack Hughes, and a year older Nico Hischier. That's a lot of forward talent. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, remkin said:

I was hoping we could take a shot at him, especially if Williams retired, but agree, the West would be better. Vegas probably thought the East would be better to get him out of their conference. Devils get him for a second and third rounder. If he's as good as it seems that is a steal. They also get Taylor Hall back, Jack Hughes, and a year older Nico Hischier. That's a lot of forward talent. 

 

 

Jersey's roster is looking really impressive.  At the same time so does Edmonton's every year on paper but.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

Jersey's roster is looking really impressive.  At the same time so does Edmonton's every year on paper but.......

offensive firepower can't overcome *edit* goaltending

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

I was hoping we could take a shot at him, especially if Williams retired, but agree, the West would be better. Vegas probably thought the East would be better to get him out of their conference. Devils get him for a second and third rounder. If he's as good as it seems that is a steal. They also get Taylor Hall back, Jack Hughes, and a year older Nico Hischier. That's a lot of forward talent. 

 

 

as soon as i  got back home and found out  i was  like G!#  DA!#%@!     .  and it was such a good day too  .  man  !    Gusev is the real deal and him adjusting to the nhl  wont be a problem .  in a year   he will be  a very good player   and  that's the last thing i wanted to happen is a player like him  in the metro .   Here is to crossing my fingers in hopes he becomes a bust over night  . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...