The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Are we a better team than last season with the changes made.  Thoughts?

Of course, add Dzingle and Haula to the lineup.  2---25 goal scorers.   

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Curious what others think about the what I'll call "log jam" in coming up from the AHL to Big Show? As several have outlined previously, competition for the rare spot in the Canes line up will be extreme. From our spectators' viewpoint, all seem to agree. I'm wondering though, what or more specifically WHO keeps these youngsters' dreams of the NHL alive? As I think on this problem, it's apparent to me that there's youthful upheaval via social media in kids these days attitudes regarding "patience" (prime example is Aho's apparent ploy, likely no doubt influenced by his agent, to attain financial advantage by signing his OS). In the case of players like Necas and others who are right on the cusp, have worked extremely hard honing their game at the AHL level, and my gosh have risen to the epitome of that league winning a championship, what's the carrot to help them persevere in continually butting their heads against the ever closing door? The way I'm seeing this situation, while teams like Detroit and a few others, IN THE PAST, have been very successful it seems, letting their youth percolate for years in the lower ranks, could it be that plan is outdated due both to the advanced state of physical development at a younger age that these kids are experiencing, and the ever increasing trend of 'wanting it all now" mentality?

More importantly, who gets into these younger players' (like Necas) ear and urges patience? Brindy, assistant coaches, Warsofsky, other older players, or who? Seems to me that this is crucial, or there will be rebellion? I am aware that being invested in whatever team these players are competing for is ingrained in them since they 1st put on skates no doubt, but outside influences these days, thru social media, can be a very disruptive thing and I just wonder how it might be offset? Food for thought 

I think it's a really interesting point Kjun. This is something this organization has really never had to deal with. Over just about all of their years in Raleigh anyway, it's been about having to bring guys up who were really marginal players or worse. The list is long. Put another way, who where the last Bean, Necas, even Gauthier or McKeown's that we have had? The last guy who had high end potential who spent more than one year in the AHL? Many never played one game in the AHL. Staal was during a lock out. 

Further, historically, how has it worked for Detroit and others' stars to simmer a long time in the AHL. At first glance it seems to have worked out pretty well.

So now we have up to 5 NHL ready players, all with substantial NHL upside that could make the jump: Necas, McKeown, Bean, Ned, and Gauthier. Gauthier is a bit more borderline, but in past years would have been called up. All of them have spent one full, or multiple years in the AHL, have shown serious skill, won a Calder cup, and could play in the NHL IMO. But for Necas and McKeown, one due to talent and one due to simmering to the point of falling off the bone, really are IMO ready. 

On the one hand, this is the Detroit model that is so beloved. Keep guys in the AHL well past their NHL due date. On the other hand, not only is there the point of the player's confidence and frustration, but these days the main thing is that teams need young, entry level guys in the NHL to field a good team under the cap and still pay their star players. I think I may have even recently heard Ken Holland of Detroit fame admit this in talking about his new Oiler's team.

I guess eventually waivers come into play and guys get a shot if they get used at all. But if I understand waivers correctly, they could hurt a guy from being called up at all. 

In the big picture it is a good problem to have. But there has to be a different approach to those players, and it's not something we're used to dealing with. On the other hand Waddell and his buddy Rick Dudley, do have a ton of contacts out there, and surely can talk with some people who have dealt with it. 

Ultimately stacked teams' prospects typically get a shot with inevitable injuries. This would seem to be the most likely way that Necas and say McKeown get NHL games as well as Bean and McKeown. 

The other issue for me, is trade value. We were able to trade off B level prospects this off season: Roy and Saarela, and still keep our A prospects. But to me only A+ prospects might bring back much of any return, yet those are generally who teams need to keep. So, ultimately it seems the best model is to keep those guys and trade other guys who are aging out or heading to UFA in a couple of years, to get better trade value return. What I'm saying is that you need to get those guys up eventually, both to get to pick who you want to keep, and get better return for who you want to trade. 

I want J Williams back 100%. But if he does retire, the upside would be opening a slot for a guy like Necas. Still, at least one more year of J Williams would be massively positive for this organization, so I don't want that. It does, however, create a bit of a log jam. 

In the end, injuries will happen, and that's most likely when we see guys like Necas, Gauthier, et all. That said, someone usually blows it up in camp and pre season, so that could be interesting too. In that case, that might even force a trade. (Imagine getting 3 first rounders in next year's stacked draft).

OK a bit of a sprawling post, but I think your point is one worth considering.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

someone usually blows it up in camp and pre season,

I’m with you rem. It’s gunna be Necas.

• Like 1

Necas certainly could be that guy we can’t send down, but for me, if he comes in and picks up the way he was doing last year before being injured, my guy for being the one who can’t be sent down is Janne Kuokkanen. 

1 hour ago, ChuckBurns said:

Necas certainly could be that guy we can’t send down, but for me, if he comes in and picks up the way he was doing last year before being injured, my guy for being the one who can’t be sent down is Janne Kuokkanen. 

Gotta believe that waiver status will be a factor in the last, tough, roster decisions, and Kuokk is still waiver exempt.  E.g., if it came down to assigning Kuokk to Charlotte or assigning Wallmark and risk losing him to waivers (which I suspect would be a real possibility), I'm guessing that Kuokk would have had to outplay Wallmark by a significant extent in order to get the call.  Same with Kuokk and Bishop.  For those reasons, I don't see Kuokk starting out in Raleigh unless a couple of our promising non-exempt kids are traded first.

1 hour ago, ChuckBurns said:

The other think about Kuok is that an unfortunate injury has kept him out of the entire Calder run and competitive hockey for a pretty long time. Also, he is not a very physical player (so really needs to ideally be on the third line) and the waivers issue Lake mentioned, I really think he starts in Charlotte, and that this is a huge year for him to really up his game. His production projects to about 25-30 points in the NHL as of his last play, which is not 3C territory on a good team (35-40 points).

He will probably be the 1C in Charlotte next year though, and if he looks good, again with injuries he could be called on. 

At the same time, while Wallmark was proficient in the NHL, and was a rookie, this is a big year for him to up his production too IMO. 

While I like Haula, and he may well turn out to like playing here, and be re-signed, he is a UFA next year and rumored not to be exactly thrilled to have been traded, and we have tended not to re-sign those guys lately. We may well be looking for a 3C as soon as the 20-21 season, and unless Necas moves over, or we make another trade. At the moment Wallmark and Kuok would be the homegrown frontrunner candidates with Geekie very possibly on their heels.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, AWACSooner said:

Also, Patty Dwyer is now a Checkers assistant coach...always liked him.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/patrick-dwyer-named-checkers-assistant-coach

I had forgotten this, but apparently Fenton turned TD down for the Hurricane's GM job. If Fenton doesn't go to Minnesota, that Nino-Rask deal never happens. If that Nino-Rask never happens, we don't make playoffs and Rask's salary still festers on our books. Funny how things work out sometimes. 

• Like 1

Some really good stuff in the latest Canes pod cast.  Waddell said they could carry 3 goalies for a couple months to let the competition play out.  Talked about the offer sheet.  Canes were interested in Dzingel at the trade deadline last year, so it seems like he's more than just an opportunistic pick up.

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/podcasts/canescast/CanesCast_Ep100.mp3

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remkin said:

OK a bit of a sprawling post, but I think your point is one worth considering.

Thanks rem, just getting back to this. My overriding question in all my blabber is who talks to these young guy and quiets their anxieties? I've always suspected that part of Darling's problems, and they were huge don't get me wrong, but just wonder how things would have turned out with him, if he had had a "big brother"? I know presently that my football team, LSU, is said to be investing in psychiatric consoling, and just wonder if there's a place in Pro Sports, rather than the laissez faire attitude so common to this macho genre, Just Suck It Up?

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks rem, just getting back to this. My overriding question in all my blabber is who talks to these young guy and quiets their anxieties? I've always suspected that part of Darling's problems, and they were huge don't get me wrong, but just wonder how things would have turned out with him, if he had had a "big brother"? I know presently that my football team, LSU, is said to be investing in psychiatric consoling, and just wonder if there's a place in Pro Sports, rather than the laissez faire attitude so common to this macho genre, Just Suck It Up?

Just to clarify, I meant MY post was sprawling! :D

Back to the new away uniform since there's nothing else going on.

While I hope they do even better than the mock up below, I think it would still be a big improvement on the current "whites", especially when you look at them side-by-side. Those are hurricane swirl patches on each shoulder which ties the old in with the new.

new canes whites.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

And I'm still lobbying for something along these lines instead of our current "reds".  Tom, what do you think?

canes colorblend.png

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

And I'm still lobbying for something along these lines instead of our current "reds".  Tom, what do you think?

canes colorblend.png

it reminds me of the huskies  from the qmjhl  . they have  that faded color scheme  on their uniforms . 

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Wouldn't even be remotely surprised if Cam retires and gets hired.

I can't say I would be surprised either, but I really hope he isn't our plan for goalie coach in Raleigh. There isn't a lot in Cam's resume to make me think he is a great goalie coach. Most of his career was with Marcoux, who showed very little success with improving the teams goalies. I would be more comfortable with him going to Charlotte and working with the youth first and learning how to coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

56 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

I can't say I would be surprised either, but I really hope he isn't our plan for goalie coach in Raleigh. There isn't a lot in Cam's resume to make me think he is a great goalie coach. Most of his career was with Marcoux, who showed very little success with improving the teams goalies. I would be more comfortable with him going to Charlotte and working with the youth first and learning how to coach.

This.  I want someone who has already proven himself as a coach.  If you look across all sports, I wonder what the percentage of really successful coaches who were successful athletes at the highest levels is?  I'm not saying a great athlete can't be a great coach, just that it isn't a sufficient condition.

Edited by LakeLivin

Anton Forsberg and CAR: team offer: $700k/70k (that’s a two-way deal), player ask: $833k. Going to arbitration.

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Is he going to show the goalies how to protect the short side? Not!

11 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Anton Forsberg and CAR: team offer: $700k/70k (that’s a two-way deal), player ask: $833k. Going to arbitration.

Looks like they are going to arbitration over the two way deal.  Even if he wins and does not win the back up goalie position, I think they could send him through waivers back to Charlotte.  They would have to pay the one way salary or they could lose his rights to another team willing to pay the one way salary.

I also hope for a proven goalie coach, and agree with you Lake that Cam just wouldn't be my 1st or even 2nd choice. As critical as we have amply demonstrated thru an eon of mediocre years of goal tending that this position is, I'd hate to see it compromised right out of the gate by a sentimental feel good hire of our next goalie coach. I sure hated to see Bales leave.

8 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Looks like they are going to arbitration over the two way deal.  Even if he wins and does not win the back up goalie position, I think they could send him through waivers back to Charlotte.  They would have to pay the one way salary or they could lose his rights to another team willing to pay the one way salary.

It's been reported that DW is not happy about it.

How promising is Anton Forsberg anyway, and I realize at a different stage than our newly drafted Russian goalie, Kochetkov, but how do they compare? With Koch in mind, wonder if Arturs Irbe could be tempted to come back as goalie coach, just reaching here.