The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

How promising is Anton Forsberg anyway, and I realize at a different stage than our newly drafted Russian goalie, Kochetkov, but how do they compare? With Koch in mind, wonder if Arturs Irbe could be tempted to come back as goalie coach, just reaching here.

10 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Anton Forsberg and CAR: team offer: $700k/70k (that’s a two-way deal), player ask: $833k. Going to arbitration.

Arbitrator Lake decision: 1 year, $725k NHL, $125k AHL.  On paper (and given he was viewed as having enough promise to be a major part of the deHaan package), I'm thinking Forsberg might be worth the investment of a "hybrid 2-way contract"..

Waddell highlighted the competition for the backup spot and said the Canes could even carry 3 goalies for a couple months until the backup becomes clear.  I wonder if he's considering  Forsgberg as being as much in the mix as Reimer and Ned? 

Edited by LakeLivin

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

How promising is Anton Forsberg anyway, and I realize at a different stage than our newly drafted Russian goalie, Kochetkov, but how do they compare? With Koch in mind, wonder if Arturs Irbe could be tempted to come back as goalie coach, just reaching here.

I'd love to know the answer to that.  But other than Ryazan, I suspect we'll be lucky to find anyone that has seen either one play, let alone both.  We need a mole in the Canes organization that provides us with detailed inside information.  

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I haven't seen either play, but word on Koch is very very high, Forsberg had really good AHL numbers but has been pedestrian so far in the NHL. Maybe Forsberg looks at our depth chart and see's himself #4 so is playing this out. Waddell's apparent reaction shows why guys who go to arbitration usually find themselves on another team pretty soon thereafter though.

19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Is it possible to get Dominik Hašek for the canes as goalie coach ?

The only goalie I would take a chance on going straight to coach is Martin Brodeur. He combined natural athletic talent with sound positional play and an excellent ability to read the game. Hasek was a phenomenal goalie, but succeeded on athletic talent more than anything. IMO the main reason great players don't always make decent coaches comes down to removing their athletic talent from the equation and leaving them with their hockey sense and communication skills.

46 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Is it possible to get Dominik Hašek for the canes as goalie coach ?

Hire Arturs Irbe ;)

Or just pry Weekes off his broadcasting stool and back down to Raleigh :P

39 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

The only goalie I would take a chance on going straight to coach is Martin Brodeur. He combined natural athletic talent with sound positional play and an excellent ability to read the game. Hasek was a phenomenal goalie, but succeeded on athletic talent more than anything. IMO the main reason great players don't always make decent coaches comes down to removing their athletic talent from the equation and leaving them with their hockey sense and communication skills.

I'd add that good technical  coaches also usually have good analytical skills, i.e., the ability to recognize, break down, and successfully communicate the keys to success.

Edited by LakeLivin

The word on Kochetkov  is he will be  with  Ska  st. Petersburg  in the KHL .   Pretty much the best team in  the KHL   and his goalie coaches  over there are  some legendary  goalie coaches  in the name of RASHIT DAVYDOV  and MARCO TORENIUS 

for RASHIT DAVYDOV his history  is 

He acted as a goalkeeper in "SK them. Uritsky "(1987-1988, 1989-1990), SKA MBO (Kalinin, 1988-1989, 1989-1990)," Dieseliste "(1991-1992, 1993-1994, 1996-1999)," Itile "(1993-1994 ), CSK Air Force (1994-1996), "Petrochemistry" (1995-1996).

As a goalkeeper coach, he worked in the HC MVD (2005-2010), Dynamo M (2010-2016), SKA (2016 - present)

Since 2014 he has been working with the Russian national team.

Gagarin Cup winner (2012, 2013, 2017), Olympic champion (2018), world champion (2014), silver medalist of the world championship (2015), bronze medalist of the world championship (2016, 2017).

and MARCO TORENIUS 

He worked as a goalkeeper coach at Espoo Blues and Sibir Holding.

Since 2014 - coach for individual preparation of goalkeepers of SKA HC.

Two-time winner of the Gagarin Cup as part of the SKA coaching staff - in 2015 and 2017, winner of the 2018 Continent Cup. 

Kochetkov is in good hands with their  training   in development  and  us canes fans get to reap the rewards !  My hat goes off to Don Waddell ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

ust pry Weekes off his broadcasting stool and back down to Raleigh :P

I know thats a joke or you been smoking sumpin 🥴

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

This.  I want someone who has already proven himself as a coach.  If you look across all sports, I wonder what the percentage of really successful coaches who were successful athletes at the highest levels is?  I'm not saying a great athlete can't be a great coach, just that it isn't a sufficient condition.

So you wouldn’t have hired Rod last year? Of course, Rod had proven leadership skills to go with his resume as a hockey player. I’m not so sure we should look to any former Canes as a goalie coach. Someone like Bales who had a track record elsewhere would be my preference.

9 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

So you wouldn’t have hired Rod last year? Of course, Rod had proven leadership skills to go with his resume as a hockey player. I’m not so sure we should look to any former Canes as a goalie coach. Someone like Bales who had a track record elsewhere would be my preference.

If I'm not mistaken Irbe has coaching experience as a consultant in the NHL and I think head coaching over seas

Irbe had really good goals against average , his save percentage was  mostly in his career   something to actually look at.  rose colored glasses  can be worn by literally everyone sometimes .   

57 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If I'm being honest, I was in favor of Velucci over Brindy at the time.  I guess that's why I don't get the big bucks. :grin:  But as to your point, at least Rod did have coaching experience, just not head coaching experience. 

22 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

If i remember the chatter correctly, i think Irbe would be way more-likely to come here to work with a non-Russian than to work with a Russian.

Reading the Wild are gonna interview Waddell for their GM...uh oh!

CCCFB6C1-DA89-4EE7-A73F-33C8AF6AA0BC.png

Edited by AWACSooner

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

i thought he was already signed . also i saw rick dudley yesterday on tv  at the world jr summer showcase .  i highly doubt   dudley would be there if his buddy  waddell was not  the current   and still  gm of the canes. 

Edited by Canesfanforever

28 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Dundon better get off his you know what and resign this guy! Can't believe this is anything more than an Aho-like move as Waddell genuinely seems to like it here? Of course if Dundon is aiming for another direction, he might have someone in mind already? 

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Dundon better get off his you know what and resign this guy! Can't believe this is anything more than an Aho-like move as Waddell genuinely seems to like it here? Of course if Dundon is aiming for another direction, he might have someone in mind already? 

Yah...probably him and Rod as co-GM's ;)

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Never a dull moment with TD in charge. Not necessarily bad, just not dull. I like Waddell, and most of his moves. Plus he's our President too. I'd say we could try to get one of the young up and coming guys out there, but Waddell seems to work well within the committee, and other guys (see Fenton) didn't want any part of that.

Isn’t Waddell the one who said he was trying to take less of a role?  TD laughed and said he had a lifetime contract.

why would he take on the mess that is Minnesota? TBH why would anyone in the twilight of their career?

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Isn’t Waddell the one who said he was trying to take less of a role?  TD laughed and said he had a lifetime contract.

why would he take on the mess that is Minnesota? TBH why would anyone in the twilight of their career?

I'm just thinking, what a difference a year makes. Last year this time the board was up in arms "this guy" was going to be the GM, I mean he is a failure from the Thrashers. Now its "Damn it TD, get him signed ASAP!"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I'm just thinking, what a difference a year makes. Last year this time the board was up in arms "this guy" was going to be the GM, I mean he is a failure from the Thrashers. Now its "Damn it TD, get him signed ASAP!"

My exact thoughts also on him. Not that I'm patting myself on this account, but I never had those feelings, I also agree with you, gocanes, why would this guy who all along has made it sound that he needed to be coerced to take the job in the 1st place, why would he subject himself to the Wild disaster? Again, I think he's pulling an Aho move???

I still remember the press conference announcing Dundon as the new owner and everyone saying Waddell looked uncomfortable because he was going to be out of a job while Peters and Francis would continue with the team...

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If i remember the chatter correctly, i think Irbe would be way more-likely to come here to work with a non-Russian than to work with a Russian.

I do think that is the very strong prejudice that exists in that part of the world, and runs very deep, so yeah, I agree with you.