The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I do think that is the very strong prejudice that exists in that part of the world, and runs very deep, so yeah, I agree with you.

I might be misremembering, but i really feel like i read things about him in particular, including hesitation to play here at first because he didn't want to wear red.  Of course it all may have been kidding as well.

Don Waddell has done several interviews recently that make it seem like he's still fully invested in being the GM of the Canes. If he really is speaking with the Wild it's probably to get a number so he and Dundon don't have to think too hard when they write up his next contract. Michael Russo has a responsibility to report on Waddell being interviewed by the Wild, but saying Waddell is "very interested" in leaving Carolina because he's "p*ssed off" that he's been working without a contract for a month is just pot-stirring.

This is a transcript of when David Glenn asked Don Waddell about his contract negotiations on June 18th. Waddell didn't seem too concerned about renewing his contract in a timely fashion:

Glenn: Isn't your contract up for renewal?
Waddell: It is, but David, you've dealt with Tom enough, you know. Tom and I have a great relationship and we talk about it on a weekly basis. We keep saying "We'll figure something out. We've got until June 30th, what the heck."
Glenn: That's only 12 days away.
Waddell: All is good. Neither one of us is worried about it. We've got a lot of business to do right now trying to sign players and make trades and get prepared for the draft. Tom and I have built a relationship that I think is pretty unique and in time we'll figure it all out.

If you want to hear it for yourself, the question starts at 5:17:

https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/HZwhPtztl

Edited by Kaze
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I'm just thinking, what a difference a year makes. Last year this time the board was up in arms "this guy" was going to be the GM, I mean he is a failure from the Thrashers. Now its "Damn it TD, get him signed ASAP!"

I’ll cop to being one of those not excited about DW taking over as GM. I can’t deny that he made some good moves this year, and certainly deserves to stay on if he wants to. As to why folks were skeptical, remember, he was available from the time the Thrashers left for Winnipeg, and no team picked him up. Even the Canes pre-Dundon only hired him to operate the arena and sell tickets. If he is really talking to the Wild, my concern is that essentially the entire front office from the pre-Dundon era will have left in a little more than a year. Plus our scouting director and I think his chief assistant retired this year as well. If even Waddell has soured on working for Dundon, I hope Rod isn’t next. Whether you initially were a fan of Waddell or not, it would be reassuring to see some stability in our front office. And if he has to show interest in another job to get a new contract, that’s a bad sign too.

As far as the Wild go, I’m sure someone wants to ask him how the heck he got Nino for Rask. That alone should earn him an interview in Minnesota.

21 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

My exact thoughts also on him. Not that I'm patting myself on this account, but I never had those feelings, I also agree with you, gocanes, why would this guy who all along has made it sound that he needed to be coerced to take the job in the 1st place, why would he subject himself to the Wild disaster? Again, I think he's pulling an Aho move???

Well I cant say I was terribly excited but I never complained about him. I thought there were better options but was willing to see how the choices TD made played out

On 7/31/2019 at 8:43 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks rem, just getting back to this. My overriding question in all my blabber is who talks to these young guy and quiets their anxieties? I've always suspected that part of Darling's problems, and they were huge don't get me wrong, but just wonder how things would have turned out with him, if he had had a "big brother"? I know presently that my football team, LSU, is said to be investing in psychiatric consoling, and just wonder if there's a place in Pro Sports, rather than the laissez faire attitude so common to this macho genre, Just Suck It Up?

Is there a place?  Absolutely.  And many players hire their own personal sports psychologist.  Olympic athletes have talked about it using them for years (because many live in the two worlds of sports and traditional careers, or are making the decision to go just one way).

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2018/11/cover-sports-psychologists

Sport psychologists are best known for helping athletes overcome mental roadblocks and improve their performance: for example, helping a baseball player snap out of a hitting slump or supporting a runner as she regains confidence postinjury. While that performance emphasis remains a cornerstone of sport psychology, it’s only a slice of what sport psychologists are now doing to support athletes. Their expanding roles include helping athletes navigate interpersonal issues and addressing mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders.

Thanks for that wxray, and I just started to respond that players' egos might get in the way of them seeking out help, until I thought on this to realize that addictive personalities must reach that point themselves to recognize they need help. They cannot be forced with any lasting success to go to a psychologist. 

I suppose I was reflecting on a case of 1, that is Scott Darling. Could his situation have been helped if he had gotten himself into some type of sport psychology therapy?

I thought I saw something about Mrazek and a goalie camp and his sport psychologist was there, or something. Having pathology like Darling's addiction issues or Lehner's bipolar issue is one thing, but for most guys it's about maxing their performance. Confidence is so important, and just finding ways to get in the right mental space can help a lot. I would think for a goalie most of all.

I think that is a part of what Brind'Amour did last year. He got the collective group psychology in the max effectiveness zone. It will be interesting to see if he can keep that going.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, Derailed75 said:

If I'm not mistaken Irbe has coaching experience as a consultant in the NHL and I think head coaching over seas

And it hasn't exactly knocked anyone's socks off either.

I wouldn't mind seeing Olie Kolzig as coach.  However, he is currently coach with the Caps and seems to be doing OK, probably not wanting to move away from the Mothership.  BTW, Arturs was coach/consultant with the Caps for a while.

They interview Olie quite a bit on XM and he seems to really know his stuff, and communicates it well.

P.S. Sorry I'm late on the threads.  Been busy.

Edited by wxray1

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks for that wxray, and I just started to respond that players' egos might get in the way of them seeking out help, until I thought on this to realize that addictive personalities must reach that point themselves to recognize they need help. They cannot be forced with any lasting success to go to a psychologist. 

I suppose I was reflecting on a case of 1, that is Scott Darling. Could his situation have been helped if he had gotten himself into some type of sport psychology therapy?

Hockey personalities can be very strong, and the culture of the sport runs deep with machoism.  Good point.

I never really got a feeling for what resources Scott was using to get through all his struggles.  He wanted to hold that very private, which is his right.

Edited by wxray1

I'm fine with the thought that DW just didn't want to be a GM and wanted to slip back to the President role at some point. Not so fine with, he's actually ok being a GM....just not here? Why?

Could be the same reason Aho signed the offer sheet; as a way to to get a deal done more quickly with the Canes.  Why wouldn't he at least listen, even if he isn't particularly interested in leaving the Canes?  Also, if someone wants to give you an offer you can't refuse . . .  

Edited by LakeLivin

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Could be the same reason Aho signed the offer sheet; as a way to to get a deal done more quickly with the Canes.  Why wouldn't he at least listen, even if he isn't particularly interested in leaving the Canes?  Also, if someone wants to give you an offer you can't refuse . . .  

Agree 100%.  Waddell, like Aho, is a professional.  His stock is at a peak following his, and the team's, performance of the past year.  Why would you not get a check number to present to Tom Dundon as market value, when you have been working without a contract for some time?  

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That's exactly what I've been saying, I mean he had it pulled on him in a fashion by Aho, so why not reverse the process?

The curious thing to me in this as I think of it is Waddell's manner of phraseology if I can term it that? Remember back when he was sooo positive about Fox signing up here, and what happened? Now, having indicated for some time that he and Dundon were on the same page so to speak, and he was comfortable with no contract? Now what? A ploy/ A sounding out as others have speculated to see his worth? Or are things not so roses and lollipops in Dundonville? Curious

Edited by KJUNKANE

Maybe he like the idea of being GM without the committee. 

But I'm guessing he's just looking.

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I'm fine with the thought that DW just didn't want to be a GM and wanted to slip back to the President role at some point. Not so fine with, he's actually ok being a GM....just not here? Why?

Why does anybody consider a new job?  $$$$

3 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Why does anybody consider a new job?  $$$$

Its pretty obvious very few hockey fans understand how business is done.  This is Aho to Montreal 2.0.  Waddell would be crazy to leave at this time IMO.  He is working to increase his bargaining value.  Good for him.

5 hours ago, remkin said:
  • According to the NHL Network, Sebastian Aho is considered the 14th best center in the league:

And when asked will  Aho be a top 10  center   the guy who was  making the list  was reluctant to say yes  but was  hesitant to no .    So a big  " Maybe "   for Aho  being a top 10 center  next season ?   

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

The quotes here are concerning.

Dundon: "I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me. Don in essence has a contract. I already told Don, ‘I’m not going to fire you. If I did, I’d tell you a year in advance.’ My life’s pretty good. I want people to do what’s best for their life. If this is what’s best for Don, the Hurricanes will be fine."

Waddell: "Tom’s told me I have a job for life. But he’s also encouraged me to explore other opportunities to see what the market will pay. We started something here, I love it here, but when the job opened up and Tom said you should explore it, that’s what I’m doing."

How are you going to be a billionaire and risk losing Don Waddell because you refuse to pay him what he's worth? Dundon needs to realize Don Waddell and Rod Brind'Amour worked for beans their first year out of love for the organization and they deserve to be rewarded for what they've both accomplished. He's not going to replace them without paying market value or above, so he needs to treat them right.

• Like 1

I think TD's getting pretty crystal clear that the committee is the GM, Don's the chairman on it and gets the title. TD's not paying a GM top dollar just to make calls that will just go back to his committee.

How else do you offer a guy a lifetime contract or at the very least a years worth of notice on being fired (I get that could be an empty promise)? He must not think he can do Paul Fenton amounts of damage with his actual power.

So who the heck is left on the committee? And when Rod’s 3 year contract is up, is this the way Dundon will treat him? This is major league pro sports, and it’s not going to be long before good candidates for front office/coaching jobs will not even take Dundon’s telephone calls. As an aside, now that Pittsburgh signed their coach to a 5 year extension, the Wilkes-Barre job does not look like an upgrade. Makes you wonder if Vellucci left over money as well. I’m mystified why Dundon thinks he can openly say he’s not going to pay what other teams are paying (and if that’s his attitude toward the GM, it stands to reason it’s how he approaches everyone) and remain competitive with other teams over time.