The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

5 hours ago, Kyrule said:

There is an article on NHL.com titled:

Waddell ‘not going anywhere’ as Hurricanes GM, owner says.

It gives a little more insight into the whole thing. Dundon just does things differently, and I’m not worried about it.

From what I understand Minnesota is speaking with a lot of different potential GM’s, including a guy like Chiarelli. It has been noted that Minnesota likely has no intention of hiring him, but they are trying to get as much input/different  perspectives as possible. Just goes to show how listless the Wild are right now, which is the usual result when the owner, GM, and others all have differing opinions about where the team is heading.

There's something in the Minny culture that's not right. I love it there (for about three months a year), but there's something Nordic at play that effs up all their sports franchises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

There's something in the Minny culture that's not right. I love it there (for about three months a year), but there's something Nordic at play that effs up all their sports franchises. 

When you have to constantly worry about the roof caving in on you, it messes with your mind.  :)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kyrule said:

It gives a little more insight into the whole thing. Dundon just does things differently, and I’m not worried about it.

Me too.  Interesting parallel between him and other newsmakers/businessmen/politicians that walk their own walk.  Elon Musk comes to mind.  They are asked to be innovative , at least try to make changes.  They are visible to the Social Media Warriors and therefore get a lot of negative press and posts etc. which is so in vogue in todays world.  To me it is refreshing and it has lead to our team getting out of a 9 year drought.  GO TOM.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cc said:

Me too.  Interesting parallel between him and other newsmakers/businessmen/politicians that walk their own walk.  Elon Musk comes to mind.  They are asked to be innovative , at least try to make changes.  They are visible to the Social Media Warriors and therefore get a lot of negative press and posts etc. which is so in vogue in todays world.  To me it is refreshing and it has lead to our team getting out of a 9 year drought.  GO TOM.

Great point.

And I find myself both amazed and enraged at Elon, depending on the day.   Good parallel.

In retrospect, TD has mostly been straight with us.  We've had periods of denial, kind of like: "No way he can do that, he means something else."  But, no, he meant it.  This is a change from the smiling faces of most management that are only trying to screw you.  (To quote from the great Norman Whitfield song, "Smiling Faces Sometimes.")

A little more insight into Dundon, From TSN

I have found this weird since I got into the hockey business that the business people all have contracts. I never had contracts with the people that worked for me. It was just, 'If you do a good job (and) I like you, you'll work here, and I'll treat you fair.'"

It appears to me Dundon is still learning to navigate the NHL structure

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyrule said:

There is an article on NHL.com titled:

Waddell ‘not going anywhere’ as Hurricanes GM, owner says.

From what I understand Minnesota is speaking with a lot of different potential GM’s, including a guy like Chiarelli. It has been noted that Minnesota likely has no intention of hiring him, but they are trying to get as much input/different  perspectives as possible. Just goes to show how listless the Wild are right now, which is the usual result when the owner, GM, and others all have differing opinions about where the team is heading.

Had not seen this article Kyrule, but thanks for pointing it out. And I have seen the listing of potential GMs that Minnesota is apparently speaking to, but I guess the combination of front office and coaches flying the coop, including the goalie coach, together with Waddell's league wide recognized success, play into our (or at least MY) paranoia? This report you cite from NHL.com, as well as TSN's report at least gives me some exhaling comfort.

It's funny, but what seems eons ago, and I know it's been just over a year, but several comments were made at the time on Dundon's takeover that the fans "better buckle up, as it's going to be a bumpy ride"? TD's unconventional style is ever present and I guess that's the way it is and further, will be? 

Still, if NHL bylaws mandate having a GM under contract by a certain date, I wonder how TD will navigate around that? Have a contract stating they'll be no contract? That might be a way, haha  

They have lawyers, contract and labor law in Canada too.

Who knew?

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Still, if NHL bylaws mandate having a GM under contract by a certain date, I wonder how TD will navigate around that? Have a contract stating they'll be no contract? That might be a way, haha  

Not allowed.  It falls under the same rule that genies have: "You cannot ask for unlimited wishes as your first wish."  :)

It is interesting though.  I wonder if general terms are required (i.e. minimum year), or if they could come up with a short term contract.

I like that Kjun:

"CONTRACT:

The undersigned hereby agree to this binding contract. Donald Waddell shall be employed as GM of the Carolina Hurricanes for a salary separately listed. This contract shall be in force for a period of not more than 50 years, or until such time as either of the undersigned decide to end the contract at any time for any reason at no penalty to either party."

BTW, changing gears, on the TSN website, in addition to the short piece on Waddell, also had an interview with Warren Foegele, about 5 minutes in length. Very interesting and informative.

I guess I could put the organ next to the Canes old jumbotron I bought for my bonus room.

• Like 1

(Post deleted.  I read it back to myself and realized it might be misconstrued.)  Time to go melt some snowflakes.  Hockey is coming.

13 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Canes are selling the organ for $8000 on Craigslist, according to ABC11 Mark Armstrong.  I guess it is over.  I'm crying sad.

Gov Roy Cooper even has something to say about it and retweeted Armstrong's tweet.

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/1159208989139357697

Right there with you Weather Ray.  

"And I'm comfortable that I'm willing to pay a fair amount of money, but there's always somebody that will pay more, not just in hockey but in every business."

How true.

• Like 1

This is what  someone in the youtube   comment section was saying about Dundon .  

Dundon has an issue with reading fine print. He thought he was getting the gambling technology that the AAF was using, but there was a clause that sent the technology to MGM in the event of the league folding. 

8 hours ago, remkin said:

I like that Kjun:

"CONTRACT:

The undersigned hereby agree to this binding contract. Donald Waddell shall be employed as GM of the Carolina Hurricanes for a salary separately listed. This contract shall be in force for a period of not more than 50 years, or until such time as either of the undersigned decide to end the contract at any time for any reason at no penalty to either party."

If acceptable, I would expect a contract that renews on monthly basis or something that is designed to give either party a shorter out clause.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, cc said:

And here come the Chicken Litters.  Same old tired arguments that Dundon is cheap.  Lets just work to kill optimism shall we?

Not sure what a chicken litter is. Dundon was quoted saying he wasn’t going to pay GMs what others were paying them. Just call me a tired old person who dredged up an argument that “Dundon was cheap.” I mean he said he would not pay what others are paying himself. 

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

This is what  someone in the youtube   comment section was saying about Dundon .  

Dundon has an issue with reading fine print. He thought he was getting the gambling technology that the AAF was using, but there was a clause that sent the technology to MGM in the event of the league folding. 

Thank goodness Youtube commenters are top cream quality analysts.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Not sure what a chicken litter is.

To be helpful-  I am country boy.  " In agriculture, poultry litter or broiler litter is a mixture of poultry excreta, spilled feed, feathers, and material used as bedding in poultry operations. "

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cc said:

To be helpful-  I am country boy.  " In agriculture, poultry litter or broiler litter is a mixture of poultry excreta, spilled feed, feathers, and material used as bedding in poultry operations. "

Be honest - you're trying to gloss over a 'Chicken Little' typo, right?  😄

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Be honest - you're trying to gloss over a 'Chicken Little' typo, right?  😄

Spell correct actually but Ill own it.  I aint proud. Country people don't fixate on spelling.(least this one dont) Better described by the typo version IMHO

• Like 1

Forslund also said he thought the Waddell not having a contract and interviewing in Minnesota, was not much ado about nothing. He thought there was too much smoke for there not to be anything to it, and he'd never seen anything like it in his professional life. 

Still probably works out, IMO, but when it comes to business practices in the NHL TD is not your average bear.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

was not much ado about nothing

I don't understand this double negative rem? Should it be "was much ado about nothing"?

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't understand this double negative rem? Should it be "was much ado about nothing"?

I listened to it also. Forslund implied there is more to this situation and it was something he has never seen in his professional career. He didn't predict an outcome. It was certainly indicating it was NOT much ado about nothing but rather there is something more going on.

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

What OBXer said. The question was framed as "is there something to this or is it much ado about nothing"? The way the question was framed though reminded me of some of us assuring ourselves that this was just TD being TD and all would be fine. Maybe all will be fine, but to Forslund this was a major outlier to everything he's seen. So TD really is way outside the box of the NHL. That could be fine, but also could be a bumpy ride at times. (I added those  last sentences as my opinion).