The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

22 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ron Francis and  Don Waddell  are the teams 2nd and 3rd  gm's  the canes ever had .   Jim Rutherford  obviously was the canes one and only gm for many years .  Here is how i see them .  Starting with Rutherford 

1. Rutherford  his Strengths  was really good at making some  trades  and bringing in staff that could see operation  to management  and  running .   He understood how important  certain key players  were  via trade  and because of that he earned himself when he was  with the canes  ,  3 eastern conference finals , 2 stanley cup   appearances , and 1 stanley cup victory .   In his time here he also seek NHL   showcasing  in having thee NHL draft and NHL  All star game  and NHL all star draft  .  His main weaknesses  were drafting players in the draft  . ~   you could say the canes as a whole  failed over the years due to bad drafting  , key note players  he drafted  for  the canes  Eric Staal , Cam Ward ,  Erik Cole ,  Niclas Wallin , Brett Pesce  ,Brock Mcginn , Jacob Slavin , Jeff Skinner  ,  Elias Linholm , 

2. Ron Francis  :  His Strengths  were Drafting   key players for the canes  and hiring for scouting  !  Francis  also saw operation  in need for Key  management   training .   Francis time with the canes was short lived with the canes but because of his  eye for talent  he  helped in some trades  that helped the canes  in big  ways via draft but will get remembered for mostly bad trades .   His Weakness was not making  impact trades for the betterment of the canes .  Getting Teravainen  was possibly his greatest trade   but his worse trade  could be said  getting Darling   .  Key note players  he Drafted  for the canes ,  and it's a huge list !  Hayden Fleury , Alex Nedeljkovic  , Warren Foegele , Lucas Wallmark , Clark Bishop  / That was all in one draft from 2014  !!!!! )  Noah Hanifin   SABASTION AHO , / That was his 2nd year as gm !!!! insane !!!! )  Jake Bean , Julien  Gauthier  , Martin Necas , Morgan Geekie ,  As you can see  he had an eye for talent  and when he sought out to draft it   he was going to come back  with some huge measure of talent ,  (  Also noted  pesce  ,  slavin  , were both scouted out for jim rutherford   by Ron Francis  !

3. Don Waddell : Is still in his infancy  as gm for the canes  but has been mostly positive in his eye for drafting talent and making trades .  Only bad trades Don has  made was   trading skinner  and fox   but one could argue that the return via draft is what brought back more talent  in the end . Waddell also earned himself in his first year a playoff birth and  ecf showing.     His attack  as gm is very aggressive   and when he makes good trades  he  FLEECES  the other teams !  for example  trading   Victor Rask  For  EL NINO !   Waddells  key note players via  draft , is also impressive !  (  Andrei Svechnikov  , Lenni Killinen , Jack Drury , Jesper Sellgren and Luke Henman  / That is also from one draft !!!! INSANE !  , 2nd year . Ryan Suzuki , Pyotr Kochetkov , Patrik Puistola , Anttoni  Honka , Dominck Fensore  , It's  too early to call for  some of the players also drafted from this year  but  all things look  good so far .  and  in free agency  getting Ryan Dzingle was great .   via trade getting Erik Haula  was also great .  Waddell and Francis  were  both instrumental in building the canes depth  in less than 5 years  .  

Also  i just wanted to throw this out here , 

Rutherford - greatest Trade was  getting Rod Brind'Amour to the canes . 

Francis  - greatest Trade was getting  Teuvo Teravainen   to the canes .

Waddell - greatest Trade was getting Nino Niederreiter  to the canes . 

Not sure why you think this team started the day they relocated to Carolina, but this team has been around since the '70's and has had many GM's, including the most famous of them all, Emile Francis.  Those were great teams back in the '80s, with the likes of Ronnie Francis, Kevin Dineen, Ray Ferraro, Dave Tippett, Joel Quennville, Sylvain Turgeon, Mike Liut, Ulfie Samuelson, Paul Lawless, etc.

Edited by beboplar

So a guy comes to the hockey boards and instead ends up in "Contract and Labor Law 101".  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Not sure why you think this team started the day they relocated to Carolina, but this team has been around since the '70's and has had many GM's, including the most famous of them all, Emile Francis.  Those were great teams back in the '80s, with the likes of Ronnie Francis, Kevin Dineen, Ray Ferraro, Dave Tippett, Joel Quennville, Sylvain Turgeon, Mike Liut, Ulfie Samuelson, Paul Lawless, etc.

Cause they are not the Hatford Whalers, that team is gone. This is the Carolina Hurricanes they wear red white and black not white blue and green. Whalers are no more the Canes are here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beboplar said:

im going based on entirely  from the moment  they became the carolina hurricanes .  all other history prior to being the whalers  is not important since it  does not pertain  to residents of north carolina where the team was relocated to  become the Hurricanes !  But you are more than welcome to add  your take if you want to .  NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU !

Edited by Canesfanforever

8 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Cause they are not the Hatford Whalers, that team is gone. This is the Carolina Hurricanes they wear red white and black not white blue and green. Whalers are no more the Canes are here

Agreed. Since PK bought the Whale, Jimmy had been his GM. The GMs that ruled under the old ownership were of no consequence to this franchise's trajectory since PK has owned it.

Getting closer to the season and there is literally NOTHING to talk about.  Is this a good time to start talking about what our lineup will look like?  I will start with two versions, with and without.

With:

Svech / Aho / TT - 90 Goal top line?

Nino / Staal / Williams

Dzingel / Haula / Necas - Speed kills!

Foegele / Martinook / McGinn 

Maenalanen

Wallmark

Without:

Svech / Aho / TT

Nino / Staal / Foegele

Dzingel / Haula / Necas

Martinook / Wallmark / McGinn

Maenalanen

18 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Getting closer to the season and there is literally NOTHING to talk about.  Is this a good time to start talking about what our lineup will look like?  I will start with two versions, with and without.

I personally don't see Williams coming back .  Which sucks  cause i really want him back on the team .  

here is  my  list without him .

Svech ,  Aho , Turbo 

Nino  , Haula , Dzingle  

Foegle , Staal ,  Necas 

Martinook , Wallmark , Mcginn 

Maenalanen    , Geekie , 

Slavin , Hamilton  

Fleury , Pesce 

Bean , Faulk 

Mrazek 

Nedeljkovic 

Side note ,   if there were any trades this year  for the canes , who would you see possibly getting traded , even if it was a rental ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

27 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Side note ,   if there were any trades this year  for the canes , who would you see possibly getting traded , even if it was a rental ?

Unless there is an injury, I don't see the Canes adding anything.  The only trade I see happening is Faulk for futures if he isn't signed by the deadline.  If he's moved out, Bean probably get his roster spot.

Interesting to see some fellow Necasophiles, OK that sounds wrong, Necasiacs. I agree that more substantial moves are unlikely. I would not trade Faulk for futures. We moved DeHaan, and the Faulk of last year is still a positive force IMO. If he regresses maybe. If we do go that way, it better include a first rounder, and not a freaking lottery protected one, and not from a powerhouse team.

I do think Williams is coming back. Not betting the farm on it, but I do think that.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Agreed. Since PK bought the Whale, Jimmy had been his GM. The GMs that ruled under the old ownership were of no consequence to this franchise's trajectory since PK has owned it.

That is like arguing there was no United States of America until the Civil War.  This franchise changed cities in, what was it, 1998?  Trust me, this team was around long before then.  Ask Ronnie Francis.

2 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

Is this a good time to start talking about what our lineup will look like? 

Certainly-  Better than beating up on each other. LOL

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

That is like arguing there was no United States of America until the Civil War.  This franchise changed cities in, what was it, 1998?  Trust me, this team was around long before then.  Ask Ronnie Francis.

Okay   lets  see how this all pans out in the end 

Whalers  history ,  they sucked,   , they sucked some more .  they had one  playoff round win .   and then sucked some more ,   city refused to build a new arena , Karmanos  was  being a  "  A- Hole "  when it came to season tickets    , WHICH IN THE END HURT SEASON TICKET HOLDERS,  who would of thought ?!?!?!?!? Surprised Pikachu Face !

Key note players via trade or draft i dont have time for this bs .   Gordie Howe ( past his prime and still scoring more than anyone on the team at that time  ) Ron Francis  ,  Mark Howe ,  Kevin Dineen , Glen Wesley , Chris Prongner ,  Sean Burke ,  Pat Verbeek , Brendan Shanahan , Keith Priemeau ,  Paul Coffey ,   That's about it .  Roll out the  Brazz Bonaza  !

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Okay   lets  see how this all pans out in the end 

Whalers  history ,  they sucked,   , they sucked some more .  they had one  playoff round win .   and then sucked some more ,   city refused to build a new arena , Karmanos  was  being a  "  A- Hole "  when it came to season tickets    , WHICH IN THE END HURT SEASON TICKET HOLDERS,  who would of thought ?!?!?!?!? Surprised Pikachu Face !

Key note players via trade or draft i dont have time for this bs .   Gordie Howe ( past his prime and still scoring more than anyone on the team at that time  ) Ron Francis  ,  Mark Howe ,  Kevin Dineen , Glen Wesley , Chris Prongner ,  Sean Burke ,  Pat Verbeek , Brendan Shanahan , Keith Priemeau ,  Paul Coffey ,   That's about it .  Roll out the  Brazz Bonaza  !

Let me tell you something.  If two people walked down the street side by side, and I mean today, wearing the Canes' logo and the Whalers' logo, unless you were walking down a street somewhere in the Carolinas more fans would recognize the Whalers' logo.  It is probably one of the most beloved logos in any sport.  I live in CA, and if I wear a Whalers' hat of shirt, people stop and talk to me about the team.  Drivers have stopped to engage me in conversation about the team.  You completely do not understand the Whale.

• Like 1

Me checking in on the forum, where Bart represents the Whalers logo

giphy.gif

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 3

RALEIGH, NC - Tom Dundon, Chief Executive Officer, Owner and Governor of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the team has re-signed President and General Manager Don Waddell to a multi-year contract extension.

"Don's leadership and experience are invaluable to our organization and I'm happy we were able reach an extension,"said Dundon. "Don and I have a great relationship and he is someone I trust. I'm excited to continue to build a championship team with Don."

"I'm thrilled to sign an extension with the Hurricanes and I look forward to continuing the success we experienced last season," said Waddell. "We have a first-class organization, a great fanbase and a team we feel is built to contend for the Stanley Cup. My family and I are excited to stay in Raleigh for years to come."

Waddell, 60, was named interim general manager on March 17, 2018, and was officially named the ninth general manager in franchise history on May 8, 2018. He originally joined the franchise on July 1, 2014, when he was named President of Gale Force Sports & Entertainment. Last year, in his first season as general manager, Waddell helped the Hurricanes reach the playoffs for the first time in 10 years as the team reached the Eastern Conference Final. In addition, Waddell was named one of three finalists for the 2018-19 NHL General Manager of the Year Award. 

Waddell previously served as the general manager of the Atlanta Thrashers from 1998-2010 and then as the president of the Thrashers in 2010-11. Prior to joining the Thrashers, Waddell won a Stanley Cup as an assistant general manager of the Detroit Red Wings in 1997-98. The Detroit, Mich., native also served as general manager for USA Hockey at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games and the 2001, 2002 and 2005 IIHF World Championships.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Let me tell you something.  If two people walked down the street side by side, and I mean today, wearing the Canes' logo and the Whalers' logo, unless you were walking down a street somewhere in the Carolinas more fans would recognize the Whalers' logo.  It is probably one of the most beloved logos in any sport.  I live in CA, and if I wear a Whalers' hat of shirt, people stop and talk to me about the team.  Drivers have stopped to engage me in conversation about the team.  You completely do not understand the Whale.

Oh I understand the Whale  very much .  And it's a shame that the fans of Hartford  had such lousy management   for years   ,   If the fans there had a  FRACTION of what  us canes  fans had in terms of success  you can bet your bottom dollar they would of NEVER relocated !!!   Bad Management and  BAD  ownership is what  sent the Whale  packing to the carolinas !!!   The Whaler Logo  was  and still is ingenious  with the W and H  in shape of a Tail Fin  .  The Colors  were absolutely some of the  BEST  in the  NHL .  But a bad team will always be a bad team no matter how you scratch it .  And  that  is what  happened up North .   After a year the Whalers left for Carolina , their jumbo tron   fell on the ice  due to **** poor  management of the rink itself  ,  THEY LITERALLY PLAYED INSIDE OF A MALL !   Their city mayor Did not sign on for a new arena .  The rest is history .  The Whale got swept out to sea by a Hurricanes .  GAME OVER MAN , GAME OVER !!! 

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Waddell signed to multi-year extension.

Now we can put that to rest.

I sometimes wonder if TD is just messing with us! Good to see.

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

I sometimes wonder if TD is just messing with us! Good to see.

I've had this theory over the last few years that the team likes one news announcement each week during the dog days to keep the team in the news.  Next week, it should be Williams signing.  If he was going to retire, it would have been done before now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I've had this theory over the last few years that the team likes one news announcement each week during the dog days to keep the team in the news.  Next week, it should be Williams signing.  If he was going to retire, it would have been done before now.

Sounds about right to me,

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

The sky is not falling, the sky is not falling!

5 hours ago, Kyrule said:

On to the next crisis. 

Edited by cc