The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

13 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

My money is on goalie coach.

Or if Williams ain’t signed by Monday. That would signal  Ragnarok.

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Okay   lets  see how this all pans out in the end 

Whalers  history ,  they sucked,   , they sucked some more .  they had one  playoff round win .   and then sucked some more ,   city refused to build a new arena , Karmanos  was  being a  "  A- Hole "  when it came to season tickets    , WHICH IN THE END HURT SEASON TICKET HOLDERS,  who would of thought ?!?!?!?!? Surprised Pikachu Face !

Key note players via trade or draft i dont have time for this bs .   Gordie Howe ( past his prime and still scoring more than anyone on the team at that time  ) Ron Francis  ,  Mark Howe ,  Kevin Dineen , Glen Wesley , Chris Prongner ,  Sean Burke ,  Pat Verbeek , Brendan Shanahan , Keith Priemeau ,  Paul Coffey ,   That's about it .  Roll out the  Brazz Bonaza  !

I hope you don't mind me offering some facts to this conversation.  When you say they sucked, you are talking about a team that made the playoffs every season it played in the WHA.  They also made the NHL playoffs 7 consecutive seasons beginning in 1985-86.  7 seasons in a row.  I don't need to remind you the Canes just made the playoffs after a 9 year absence, do I?  The Canes have made the playoffs 6 times in over 20 years, the Whalers 8 times in under 20.  Just so you have some perspective.

Edited by beboplar

9 hours ago, beboplar said:

That is like arguing there was no United States of America until the Civil War.  This franchise changed cities in, what was it, 1998?  Trust me, this team was around long before then.  Ask Ronnie Francis.

Well the US was the US before the Civil war and after it. Before the move the team was the Hartford Whalers after the move the Carolina Hurricanes. They changed names, colors, mascot and pretty much everything else. So no its completely different then the US pre and post Civil war

7 hours ago, beboplar said:

Let me tell you something.  If two people walked down the street side by side, and I mean today, wearing the Canes' logo and the Whalers' logo, unless you were walking down a street somewhere in the Carolinas more fans would recognize the Whalers' logo.  It is probably one of the most beloved logos in any sport.  I live in CA, and if I wear a Whalers' hat of shirt, people stop and talk to me about the team.  Drivers have stopped to engage me in conversation about the team.  You completely do not understand the Whale.

The sole reason the Whale is so easily recognized is due to 4 letters ESPN. They banged the drum day in day out even openly calling the Canes the Whale after the move. They were so close to Hartford the Whalers were basically ESPN's hometown team. Their legacy is actually better then their truth

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

The sole reason the Whale is so easily recognized is due to 4 letters ESPN. They banged the drum day in day out even openly calling the Canes the Whale after the move. They were so close to Hartford the Whalers were basically ESPN's hometown team. Their legacy is actually better then their truth

There may some truth to that statement.  Bristol is less than 30 minutes away from Hartford, but then again it's probably only an hour or so from Madison Square Garden too.  When I go to a hockey game here on the West Coast wearing Whaler colors, you would be amazed how many fans approach me to either talk about the team or just touch the Whale.  Amazing.  Even my son in law, born and raised in Bakersfield, who does not have much interest in hockey, was wearing a Whaler hat before I ever met him.

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

Let me tell you something.  If two people walked down the street side by side, and I mean today, wearing the Canes' logo and the Whalers' logo, unless you were walking down a street somewhere in the Carolinas more fans would recognize the Whalers' logo. 

Yeah. And LOGOS play the games. Whatever, dude.

When ownership changes and the team leaves town, sorry--NOT THE SAME TEAM ANYMORE.

And here's another difference: Regular season records.

Whale 815-945-215 Trips to finals: zip. Cups: zilch.

Canes 753-688-86-161 (OT) Trips to final: two. Cups: one.

Sure look like two different teams to me.

Any. Freakin'. Questions. ?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

I hope you don't mind me offering some facts to this conversation.  When you say they sucked, you are talking about a team that made the playoffs every season it played in the WHA.  They also made the NHL playoffs 7 consecutive seasons beginning in 1985-86.  7 seasons in a row.  I don't need to remind you the Canes just made the playoffs after a 9 year absence, do I?  The Canes have made the playoffs 6 times in over 20 years, the Whalers 8 times in under 20.  Just so you have some perspective.

And out of those  7  times  in a row  when they made the playoffs how many times did they win any rounds ?   Yeah  , I rest my case .   If the Whalers  won the cup  like the canes did , The team would of NEVER  relocated .   To my Knowledge there are not many teams if any  that has won a cup and then years later relocate to another area !  Save your  legacy  of the  Whalers  but facts are facts .  The fans there never got to experience what Canes fans got to .  and if you were to take  ( life time in the NHL alone  )   The Canes have been around longer than the Whalers  ever were in the NHL !  WHA  history  is  irrelevant  due to it being a  DEAD  LEAGUE !   

Edited by Canesfanforever

10 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

And out of those  7  times  in a row  when they made the playoffs how many times did they win any rounds ?   Yeah  , I rest my case .   If the Whalers  won the cup  like the canes did , The team would of NEVER  relocated .   To my Knowledge there are not many teams if any  that has won a cup and then years later relocate to another area !  Save your  legacy  of the  Whalers  but facts are facts .  The fans there never got to experience what Canes fans got to .  and if you were to take  ( life time in the NHL alone  )   The Canes have been around longer than the Whalers  ever were in the NHL !  WHA  history  is  irrelevant  due to it being a  DEAD  LEAGUE !   

The bottom line is that the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, Tom Dundon, evidently does not share your sentiment, since he has not only introduced Whaler items in the marketplace but had the team wearing Whaler sweaters on the ice three times last season.

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah. And LOGOS play the games. Whatever, dude.

When ownership changes and the team leaves town, sorry--NOT THE SAME TEAM ANYMORE.

And here's another difference: Regular season records.

Whale 815-945-215 Trips to finals: zip. Cups: zilch.

Canes 753-688-86-161 (OT) Trips to final: two. Cups: one.

Sure look like two different teams to me.

Any. Freakin'. Questions. ?.

Here is Wikipedia's introduction of the Carolina Hurricanes:

The Hurricanes play their home games at the 18,680-seat PNC Arena. The franchise was formed in 1971 as the New England Whalers of the World Hockey Association (WHA), and joined the NHL in 1979 as part of the NHL–WHA merger, renaming themselves the Hartford Whalers.

Sounds like one franchise to me.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

The bottom line is that the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, Tom Dundon, evidently does not share your sentiment, since he has not only introduced Whaler items in the marketplace but had the team wearing Whaler sweaters on the ice three times last season.

Everyone knows  that  the Canes  to wear the whalers  gear is first and foremost was nothing but a marketing ploy  .   If that does not convince you , later  last season they sold  " Bunch of jerks "  T-Shirts    and then upgrading  to  " Bunch of  ^ Front running  Jerks "     All based off of  Don Cherry's  remarks .     And it was 2 times  they wore the whalers uniforms  , not three .    On Top of that from the start of the season they  introduced the storm surge  to lure fans to the games  if the team won  to incentive fans to "   COME TO OUR GAMES "   sorry  i had to do a hurricanes man from urinating tree  bit there    .   Money talks BS  WALKS ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Another who is that. Canes.  Canes PR

Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has hired former NHL goalie Jason Muzzatti as its goaltending coach.

Muzzatti played 16 seasons of professional hockey in the NHL, IHL, American Hockey League (AHL) and European leagues in Germany, Finland and Italy. He appeared in 61 career NHL games with Calgary, Hartford, San Jose and the New York Rangers, posting an 18-15-6 record with a 3.34 goals-against average

Notice he was a Whaler so there is that.

I followed the Whalers a little back then because the IceCaps were briefly affiliated with them and i remember him being there, but like the Hurricanes now the Whalers were lucky to get one nationally televised game each season, so i can't say for sure i ever saw him play a game.

At least that's one question answered.  Williams, you're up...

If the goal tending is solid this year  then  we shall all know why .   I would of preferred  someone   better but  it's not like i know  who the canes could of went after .  

23 hours ago, beboplar said:

Let me tell you something.  If two people walked down the street side by side, and I mean today, wearing the Canes' logo and the Whalers' logo, unless you were walking down a street somewhere in the Carolinas more fans would recognize the Whalers' logo.  It is probably one of the most beloved logos in any sport.  I live in CA, and if I wear a Whalers' hat of shirt, people stop and talk to me about the team.  Drivers have stopped to engage me in conversation about the team.  You completely do not understand the Whale.

Lol, you got cars pulling over in California to talk to you about a defunct Connecticut ice hockey team from 22 years ago that never won a cup?  LMAO

So is the Winnipeg Jets always going to be the Thrashers?  And Dallas Stars always going to be the Minnesota North Stars?  Only to the salty ex fans I guess.  to the rest of the world it's the Carolina Hurricanes, born in 1997.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Muzzatti played 16 seasons of professional hockey in the NHL, IHL, American Hockey League (AHL) and European leagues in Germany, Finland and Italy. He appeared in 61 career NHL games with Calgary, Hartford, San Jose and the New York Rangers, posting an 18-15-6 record with a 3.34 goals-against average

Any mention of coaching experience?

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Well there you go, WAS TEAMMATES with Rod at MSU during 88-89 season? He's certainly been around the block in various leagues, but it surely would be nice to know how successful his 'goalie coaching" was at each of those stops? Anyone have any clues? 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Any mention of coaching experience?

Answering my own question, sounds pretty good:

Muzzatti, 49, spent the past four seasons as goaltending coach for his alma mater, Michigan State University. Previously, the Toronto, Ont., native had coached for two seasons in the International Hockey League (IHL), serving as assistant coach and then head coach for the Flint Generals. In 2009-10, he led the Generals to the IHL Finals, earning league coach of the year honors. Muzzatti also co-founded the highly-successful “Just Goalies” camps in 1999, and continues to operate the camps in East Lansing, Mich., and Indianapolis, Ind.

So it would seem one major thing remains. Ahem, Justin, will you be our Captain?

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

Answering my own question, sounds pretty good:

Muzzatti, 49, spent the past four seasons as goaltending coach for his alma mater, Michigan State University. Previously, the Toronto, Ont., native had coached for two seasons in the International Hockey League (IHL), serving as assistant coach and then head coach for the Flint Generals. In 2009-10, he led the Generals to the IHL Finals, earning league coach of the year honors. Muzzatti also co-founded the highly-successful “Just Goalies” camps in 1999, and continues to operate the camps in East Lansing, Mich., and Indianapolis, Ind.

rem, "coaching" is somewhat vague when I read thru this resume? Now obviously, goaltending at MSU is the adjective which is specific, but at Michigan State? Then you've got "coached 2 seasons in the IHL, assistant coach and then HC for the Flint Generals, earning Coach of the Year" but are those as goalie coach or just coach? Now we assume all stints are goalie related, and very well they may, but those venues, as well as "Just Goalies" camp surely appear to be with the younger crowd? These thoughts may just be nitpicking unnecessarily, but as crucial as goalie proved to be and the dearth of competent goal tending we've suffered thru for an eon, I'm a bit ansy about this hire?  

15 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, "coaching" is somewhat vague when I read thru this resume? Now obviously, goaltending at MSU is the adjective which is specific, but at Michigan State? Then you've got "coached 2 seasons in the IHL, assistant coach and then HC for the Flint Generals, earning Coach of the Year" but are those as goalie coach or just coach? Now we assume all stints are goalie related, and very well they may, but those venues, as well as "Just Goalies" camp surely appear to be with the younger crowd? These thoughts may just be nitpicking unnecessarily, but as crucial as goalie proved to be and the dearth of competent goal tending we've suffered thru for an eon, I'm a bit ansy about this hire?  

Yeah I'm just reading between the lines, but the prior goalie coaching and the running of a goalie camp suggests he's focused on the mechanics and coaching of goaltending. But ultimately I have no clue about goalie coaches. 

On 8/12/2019 at 8:47 AM, cclifford10 said:

Getting closer to the season and there is literally NOTHING to talk about.  Is this a good time to start talking about what our lineup will look like?  I will start with two versions, with and without.

With:

Svech / Aho / TT - 90 Goal top line?

Nino / Staal / Williams

Dzingel / Haula / Necas - Speed kills!

Foegele / Martinook / McGinn 

Maenalanen

Wallmark

Without:

Svech / Aho / TT

Nino / Staal / Foegele

Dzingel / Haula / Necas

Martinook / Wallmark / McGinn

Maenalanen

I don't see were Maenalanen has been re-signed. Am I missing something?