The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

On 8/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, Kyrule said:

Waddell signed to multi-year extension.

Now we can put that to rest.

And exactly how many years does "multi-year" equate too?

17 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

And exactly how many years does "multi-year" equate too?

I think I saw it was 5, "no three sir" 3. 3 were the years of the contracting.

A little python, it was 3 years if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Any mention of coaching experience?

coaching record.jpg

1 hour ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I don't see were Maenalanen has been re-signed. Am I missing something?

No you didn't Maenalanen and McKeown still unsigned

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

No you didn't Maenalanen and McKeown still unsigned

I wonder if they might be trade bait, which could a factor in them still being unsigned?  Or perhaps the hang-up is that the Committee is pushing for 2-way contracts (although McKeown would stand a good chance of being grabbed off waivers imo, so less likely with him).

27 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If you were a fan of the Hartford Whalers in the mid-nineties, you may remember the team acquiring a young first-round goaltender off waivers from the Calgary Flames named Jason Muzzatti. Now nearly 25 years later Muzzatti is on his way back to the franchise, this time as the goaltending coach for the Carolina Hurricanes.

9 hours ago, beboplar said:

The bottom line is that the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, Tom Dundon, evidently does not share your sentiment, since he has not only introduced Whaler items in the marketplace but had the team wearing Whaler sweaters on the ice three times last season.

Very true, but I might point out that what the team wears on or off the ice has little to do with the front office, and I daresay, as top said previously, that any moves that Emile Francis or Paul Holmgren or Brian Burke made as GM of the Whalers 30-40 years ago have nothing at all to do with how the Hurricanes are constituted in 2019.

I don't think that Cff was originally trying to quash or ignore the existence of the Whalers in his original post. I think he was merely describing what he thinks of the GMs that the Hurricanes have had since PK bought the Whalers in 1994.

P.S. Interesting factoid - the last Whaler to be playing in the NHL was J-S Giguere, who was drafted in 1995 and retired in 2014. The last Whaler to be playing professionally was Robert Petrovicky, who retired from a career mostly in Europe in 2016.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beboplar said:

If you were one of the six fans of the Hartford Whalers in the mid-nineties

Fixed.

It's not that the Whale and the Canes are not the same franchise. It's just... we don't care how y'all did it up north.

32 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

don't think that Cff was originally trying to quash or ignore the existence of the Whalers in his original post. I think he was merely describing what he thinks of the GMs that the Hurricanes have had since PK bought the Whalers in 1994.

Pretty much .  

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Fixed.

It's not that the Whale and the Canes are not the same franchise. It's just... we don't care how y'all did it up north.

You really should care.  Decisions made by politicos in Connecticut not to fund the construction of a new arena and move the Whalers out of the Hartford Civic Center are the only reason there is a hockey team in Carolina.  Do you think that the NHL had Raleigh on its expansion map after its recent disaster trying to introduce hockey to the South in Atlanta?  For that franchise to move to Winnipeg shows you where the state of hockey in the South stood at that time.  Without success early on the team would never has lasted in Carolina, and who do you think was playing on those teams?  All Whalers.  Tip your cap, friend.

Btw, I don't appreciate the "we don't care how y'all did it up north."  Are you one of these guys who still thinks the Confederacy won the Civil War?

I'm surprised the how much "do the Whalers matter" debate has gotten so  heated, but let's not re fight the civil war. Man the dog days bring out some unpredictable passions. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Are you one of these guys who still thinks the Confederacy won the Civil War?

Careful.

29 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wow cc, what an original avatar.....

It does remind me of something...

tenor.thumb.gif.20a524faa59a38dc8e32707153d4a149.gif

Im tired of the Negative waves. The "Jerk" was taken LOL

EB2tVVHX4AATqb6.jpg:large

Looking at the size of those two guys really gives you some scale. Holy moly, I cannot wait to see that thing in action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

You really should care.  Decisions made by politicos in Connecticut not to fund the construction of a new arena and move the Whalers out of the Hartford Civic Center are the only reason there is a hockey team in Carolina.  Do you think that the NHL had Raleigh on its expansion map after its recent disaster trying to introduce hockey to the South in Atlanta?  For that franchise to move to Winnipeg shows you where the state of hockey in the South stood at that time.  Without success early on the team would never has lasted in Carolina, and who do you think was playing on those teams?  All Whalers.  Tip your cap, friend.

Btw, I don't appreciate the "we don't care how y'all did it up north."  Are you one of these guys who still thinks the Confederacy won the Civil War?

beboplar, as you might surmise from my avatar, I am from Deep South and further, I DO CARE about our history being an advocate of the philosophy that "those that don't care about history are doomed to repeat it". I personally think its a privilege to carry on for the Whaler franchise and see no reason to deny it. That they won multiple Stanley Cups, or none is not important in my book as they did play and were the nucleus of the team we all love here. Further should you ever find your way here, I'd love to share a beer or whatever your imbibition is, with you. Further I'd even wager that some of the curmudgeons hereabouts might even invite you to their tailgating?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Further I'd even wager that some of the curmudgeons hereabouts might even invite you to their tailgating?

I embrace Curmudgeonness (and exemplify it).and would for sure.

The Whale morphs into a Hurricane, swallows it's own young.

whaleacane.png

Hockey gods please send us some hockey news

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Completely disagree that anyone was worried about hockey in the south was a concern because of 1 failure. Florida and Tampa Bay had been up and running for a few years and Nashville was set to enter in 98, if there were concerns about southern hockey Nashville would have never been given a franchise. Sorry man the Whale is dead long live the Canes. I have no problem with 2 Whale nights (although I hated the idea before the games last year) but the past is the past and these are the Carolina Hurricanes. Maybe if Hartford supported them as much then as they claim to now things would be different

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cc said:

I embrace Curmudgeonness (and exemplify it).and would for sure.

I'm trying to work my way into it?