The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

16 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Maybe if Hartford supported them as much then as they claim to now things would be different

Given the Circumstance , i don't blame them for not supporting .   What happened sucked and  yes  Karmanos was an  A-Hole !   But  that same A-hole  took a chance on a market that no one else would have  and saw that Hockey in the south can work .    At the end of the day  a Non Traditionalist market  shown it can and will support a team  and even by nhl standards   even if the attendance was  horrible  for years .   It's  just that the  people  here  vote with their dollars  as did  people in hartford .   

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm trying to work my way into it?

Once you get kids over the age of 25 it’s gets easier. 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Given the Circumstance , i don't blame them for not supporting .   What happened sucked and  yes  Karmanos was an  A-Hole !   But  that same A-hole  took a chance on a market that no one else would have  and saw that Hockey in the south can work .    At the end of the day  a Non Traditionalist market  shown it can and will support a team  and even by nhl standards   even if the attendance was  horrible  for years .   It's  just that the  people  here  vote with their dollars  as did  people in hartford .   

Agreed.  Karmanos was an out of towner (from Michigan) who bought the team in June, 1994, promising to keep it in Hartford for at least 20 years.  He leveraged negotiations with the state, ultimately breaking his promise and paying his way out.  It was a tough pill to swallow for devoted Whaler fans.

You, who have become devoted Canes followers, have had your team bought out by an out of towner.  He certainly seems like a successful businessman who likes to think outside the box.  Thinking outside the box can result in many surprises.  If one of those surprises ends up watching your beloved Canes loading up the moving van for a destination unknown, you will learn what it felt like to be a Whaler fan in the late '90's.

I promised myself I would root for this team for as long as it had some connection to the Whalers.  That was certainly in place through the Ronnie Francis era.  It is more strained now, but with the owner's recognition of the Whalers, I am still on board.

8 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Agreed.  Karmanos was an out of towner (from Michigan) who bought the team in June, 1994, promising to keep it in Hartford for at least 20 years.  He leveraged negotiations with the state, ultimately breaking his promise and paying his way out.  It was a tough pill to swallow for devoted Whaler fans.

You, who have become devoted Canes followers, have had your team bought out by an out of towner.  He certainly seems like a successful businessman who likes to think outside the box.  Thinking outside the box can result in many surprises.  If one of those surprises ends up watching your beloved Canes loading up the moving van for a destination unknown, you will learn what it felt like to be a Whaler fan in the late '90's.

I promised myself I would root for this team for as long as it had some connection to the Whalers.  That was certainly in place through the Ronnie Francis era.  It is more strained now, but with the owner's recognition of the Whalers, I am still on board.

I'm 44, born in 75. From Cleveland Ohio dont tell me how it feels. A life long fan of one of (at least at the time) most iconic, historic, and successful teams in any pro sports  league near sellouts every game every season and an owner that couldnt manage his finances. I know full well how it feels.

I also know that the Baltimore Ravens never have been and never will be the Cleveland Browns. As far as I'm concerned the Browns history stopped in 95 and re started in 99

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

The Whale morphs into a Hurricane, swallows it's own young.

whaleacane.png

Hockey gods please send us some hockey news

Saarela thinks the organization is poorly run.  Is that enough news?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Saarela thinks the organization is poorly run.  Is that enough news?

The guy who's team won the Calder Cup and whose big club went to the ECF? I'm assuming he said that after being traded? The guy who must think he was way too good not to be in the NHL full time, and is probably bitter about that and being traded? The guy who would know since he has had a 15 year NHL career and has seen several organizations...oh wait, no. Sometimes guys just don't have standing to speak publicly about things bigger than them, and smart guys don't. Low class comment IMO. Glad we traded him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

So was Oddball, at least it should be....

Sorry.........fixed it.  I dont think anyone has my new one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

The Whale morphs into a Hurricane, swallows it's own young.

whaleacane.png

Whale attacking a Hurricane from aft.  My 1st impression.

35 minutes ago, cc said:

OR, or, a hurricane eating a whale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

Glass half empty, etc etc

4 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I also know that the Baltimore Ravens never have been and never will be the Cleveland Browns. As far as I'm concerned the Browns history stopped in 95 and re started in 99

Art Modell pulled off the shadiest, most despicable relocation in professional sports history.

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

For that franchise to move to Winnipeg shows you where the state of hockey in the South stood at that time.  

No, it shows you how stupid the NHL was to try twice in Atlanta.

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

Btw, I don't appreciate the "we don't care how y'all did it up north."  Are you one of these guys who still thinks the Confederacy won the Civil War?

No, I'm one of those Yankees who moved down here, became a full-on Canes fan, let go completely of my old team (Philly) and loves to p-o other northerners who can't seem to let go of theirs (Rags fans most especially), and who also have no sense of humor.

Ironic, huh?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Art Modell pulled off the shadiest, most despicable relocation in professional sports history.

I believe that when the Colts left for Indy it was even worse.

9 hours ago, beboplar said:

You really should care.  Decisions made by politicos in Connecticut not to fund the construction of a new arena and move the Whalers out of the Hartford Civic Center are the only reason there is a hockey team in Carolina.  Do you think that the NHL had Raleigh on its expansion map after its recent disaster trying to introduce hockey to the South in Atlanta?  For that franchise to move to Winnipeg shows you where the state of hockey in the South stood at that time.  Without success early on the team would never has lasted in Carolina, and who do you think was playing on those teams?  All Whalers.  Tip your cap, friend.

Btw, I don't appreciate the "we don't care how y'all did it up north."  Are you one of these guys who still thinks the Confederacy won the Civil War?

Politely beg to differ, bebopular, particularly with the sentences I highlighted in bold above.

To preface, I don't decry the Whaler history of the Hurricanes. They won the Avco Cup in the first season of the WHA (1972-73, I think it was), and they were moderately successful at getting to the playoffs though not so great at advancing. The logo and colors are great - one of the best in the NHL, I would say.

That said, 39 players were listed on the Whalers' roster in 1996-97.  https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/HAR/1997.html. Of those, 23 made the transition to the Hurricanes' 1997-98 roster, but more than a few were not huge contributors to either team (even Geoff Sanderson, who had a nice long career in the NHL, was traded by the Hurricanes mid-season in 1997-98).   https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CAR/1998.html

Other posters to these forums have discussed what happened in Atlanta regarding the Thrashers. Though they were plagued by attendance problems and financial issues, that was mostly as a result of crappy ownership who didn't really want them around (they were owned by Time Warner when they came into the league, then were sold to a group called Atlanta Spirit in 2003) and a legal scuffle amongst the Spirit ownership group  (One of the ownership group claimed that the other seven had breached their contract, which would allow him to buy them out at cost. The other seven claimed that they had the right to buy out the 30% he owned). True North Sports and Entertainment bought the Thrashers in 2011, then moved them to Winnipeg.

If you asked me, I think the two Whalers who most influenced the Hurricanes in the early days were Ron Francis - of course - but remember that Eddie "JR before JR" Johnson traded him to Pittsburgh in 1991 (then left to become the Pens head coach two years later. Like I said, J. Rutherford before J. Rutherford) and RF didn't come back until he was 35. The other, which may seem odd, is Robert Kron, who played 272 games in his career with the Whalers and 237 with the Hurricanes, then went on to become a scout for the Hurricanes in Europe (and is now Director of European Scouting for the team).

24 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I believe that when the Colts left for Indy it was even worse.

Nah...Baltimore had far more warning that a move would happen.

6 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I'm 44, born in 75. From Cleveland Ohio dont tell me how it feels. A life long fan of one of (at least at the time) most iconic, historic, and successful teams in any pro sports  league near sellouts every game every season and an owner that couldnt manage his finances. I know full well how it feels.

You are young, my friend.  I was graduating from Berkeley the year you were born.  In any case, I saw your Browns play at the old Yankee Stadium before it was renovated in around 1970.  I agree their middle of the night move was SAD.  What makes the Hartford move more tragic, though, is the fact that the Whalers were the only professional sports team in town.  Cleveland has always had professional sports teams, and as you saw, they got an NFL franchise back.  I have lived in San Diego for the past 30 years, and I have to say when the Chargers decided to move to LA, I did not care one bit.  This city has an identity of its own, defined by its weather and geography, and I would care to say is beloved by all.  The Whalers meant a lot to Hartford and its fan base.  The politics of pitting one city against another in deciding where sports franchises should play can get downright ugly.  I hope for your sake you don't have to see the Canes move on.  While they have been rumored on more than one occasion to be destined for Quebec City, I would be more worried about a Texas destination such as Houston while Dundon owns the team.

As one of the few people here who grew up in the deep South, I'm sorry the germans bombed pearl harbor.

It's the Canes, and by a wide margin.

I've learned not to be rude to the Whalers connection but sometimes it's hard.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beboplar said:

Translation: "I'm sort of a fan. It's conditional."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

You are young, my friend.  I was graduating from Berkeley the year you were born.  In any case, I saw your Browns play at the old Yankee Stadium before it was renovated in around 1970.  I agree their middle of the night move was SAD.  What makes the Hartford move more tragic, though, is the fact that the Whalers were the only professional sports team in town.  Cleveland has always had professional sports teams, and as you saw, they got an NFL franchise back.  I have lived in San Diego for the past 30 years, and I have to say when the Chargers decided to move to LA, I did not care one bit.  This city has an identity of its own, defined by its weather and geography, and I would care to say is beloved by all.  The Whalers meant a lot to Hartford and its fan base.  The politics of pitting one city against another in deciding where sports franchises should play can get downright ugly.  I hope for your sake you don't have to see the Canes move on.  While they have been rumored on more than one occasion to be destined for Quebec City, I would be more worried about a Texas destination such as Houston while Dundon owns the team.

If you really believe the Whalers moving hurt the people of Hartford more then the Browns moving hurt the people of Cleveland you are way out of touch. As much as I am an Indians and Cavs fan 1 deep Brow s run in the playoffs would mean a hell of a lot more to Clevelanders then the Cavs Championship same with the Indians. Both of those organizations have always known Cleveland is a football town 1st and foremost and it's by a very wide margin. If the Indians make the playoffs this year and play a home game when the Browns are playing check out both sets of stands. And that's after 20 awful years of football with one promising season

21 hours ago, beboplar said:

We didn't win?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've learned not to be rude to the Whalers connection but sometimes it's hard.

Not to feed the beast but the symbol is linked to the genocide/extermination of multiple species.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, remkin said:

The guy who's team won the Calder Cup and whose big club went to the ECF? I'm assuming he said that after being traded? The guy who must think he was way too good not to be in the NHL full time, and is probably bitter about that and being traded? The guy who would know since he has had a 15 year NHL career and has seen several organizations...oh wait, no. Sometimes guys just don't have standing to speak publicly about things bigger than them, and smart guys don't. Low class comment IMO. Glad we traded him.

I find push back refreshing because it hardly ever happens. Management controls players by the short and curly's these days and the result is players have become their willing submissive B****es. Makes for a vanilla environment.