The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

I find push back refreshing because it hardly ever happens. Management controls players by the short and curly's these days and the result is players have become their willing submissive B****es. Makes for a vanilla environment.

I guess, but this is a guy who had a lot of bias. I didn't read his quote or when or in what context, but it just seems like this is a guy trash talking an organization that just traded him and whose NHL lineup he couldn't crack, and was really never a part of. What was quoted was that he thought we were a poorly run organization, and I just wonder what his standing is to say that. Certainly not about the NHL team I would think. Plus, unless he mentioned specifics, it's just a broad "You suck" back to the organization that traded for him. 

I agree with a general sentiment of considering the player's position, especially ones that have not gotten the big NHL payday yet (those guys in the AHL and on entry level deals are definitely under just about total team control). And maybe I'm just being a homer, but somehow to me this just felt like a bit of sour grapes.

I'd love to know more about what he said, and the context if gocanes has that. I don't think there was a link.

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

I find push back refreshing because it hardly ever happens. Management controls players by the short and curly's these days and the result is players have become their willing submissive B****es. Makes for a vanilla environment.

Maybe so, but I'd rather the more subdued show that is the product of the NHL, than the freak show that has become the NBA? Talk about the tail wagging the dog there, no thanks.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, OBXer said:

No you didn't Maenalanen and McKeown still unsigned

Any word on the street about trying to sign him/them? I liked Maenalanen grit and he got into some dirty areas. We need more of that.

• Like 1

:mellow:

Oh Yeah.  We do.

26 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

he got into some dirty areas. We need more of that.

10 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

If you really believe the Whalers moving hurt the people of Hartford more then the Browns moving hurt the people of Cleveland you are way out of touch. As much as I am an Indians and Cavs fan 1 deep Brow s run in the playoffs would mean a hell of a lot more to Clevelanders then the Cavs Championship same with the Indians. Both of those organizations have always known Cleveland is a football town 1st and foremost and it's by a very wide margin. If the Indians make the playoffs this year and play a home game when the Browns are playing check out both sets of stands. And that's after 20 awful years of football with one promising season

Sounds like you are saying there is nothing better to do in Cleveland than watch football.  Hard to imagine.  I have not watched a down of football in over 20 years.  The game was a real sport back in the day, but turned into a medium for beer commercials and for retired players to turn into analysts.  10 seconds of action promotes 15 seconds of a player showing bravado over making a play followed by 2 minutes of analyzation followed by 3 minutes of commercials.  I could go to the beach and come home and not have missed a thing.  

Hockey's fluidity is what originally drew me to the sport.  Non stop action until some infraction such as off-sides or penalty.  Players are in phenominal shape (as opposed to football players who seem to need oxygen after a few plays).  I truly hope for the fans of the Hurricanes that they never experience their loss to another city.

6 hours ago, beboplar said:

Sounds like you are saying there is nothing better to do in Cleveland than watch football.  Hard to imagine.  I have not watched a down of football in over 20 years.  The game was a real sport back in the day, but turned into a medium for beer commercials and for retired players to turn into analysts.  10 seconds of action promotes 15 seconds of a player showing bravado over making a play followed by 2 minutes of analyzation followed by 3 minutes of commercials.  I could go to the beach and come home and not have missed a thing.  

Hockey's fluidity is what originally drew me to the sport.  Non stop action until some infraction such as off-sides or penalty.  Players are in phenominal shape (as opposed to football players who seem to need oxygen after a few plays).  I truly hope for the fans of the Hurricanes that they never experience their loss to another city.

No even close to what I was saying. There is a ton to do in and around Cleveland. The city had it's hard times but contrary to the national narrative is well past them. Plenty of museums, great food and music scene the Tribe, Cavs, Monsters, even the Bkue Jackets arent far away. One of the world's top amusement parks (Ceder Point) within 2 hours one of the best indoor water parks in the country right by that, oh and then theres is the lake. 

What I was saying is that for 4 hours on Sunday the Browns trump all that for 99% of Clevelanders so comparing the Browns to a team that only became relevant after they were gone doesnt work.

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

No even close to what I was saying. There is a ton to do in and around Cleveland. The city had it's hard times but contrary to the national narrative is well past them. Plenty of museums, great food and music scene the Tribe, Cavs, Monsters, even the Bkue Jackets arent far away. One of the world's top amusement parks (Ceder Point) within 2 hours one of the best indoor water parks in the country right by that, oh and then theres is the lake. 

What I was saying is that for 4 hours on Sunday the Browns trump all that for 99% of Clevelanders so comparing the Browns to a team that only became relevant after they were gone doesnt work.

I am sure you are right about Cleveland and the Browns.  I used to know someone back in the day who was a member of the Cleveland Philhormonic Orchestra.  Here in San Diego, rather than cave in to an owner and a league that was trying to blackmail the city and its residents and property owners into building them a new landmark, we could not wait for the Chargers to move out of town.  I would have helped them load their truck if asked.  These sports owners are nothing more than carpetbaggers.

14 minutes ago, beboplar said:

These sports owners are nothing more than carpetbaggers.

We're still fightin' that war, so the carpetbaggers haven't arrived yet.

:)

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I am sure you are right about Cleveland and the Browns.  I used to know someone back in the day who was a member of the Cleveland Philhormonic Orchestra.  Here in San Diego, rather than cave in to an owner and a league that was trying to blackmail the city and its residents and property owners into building them a new landmark, we could not wait for the Chargers to move out of town.  I would have helped them load their truck if asked.  These sports owners are nothing more than carpetbaggers.

Forgot about the Philharmonic they are pretty damn good too! True about owners although in sad the Chargers left San Dog, LA doesnt deserve one team let alone 2. The last time they had 2 teams the Raiders were mediocre and no one gave a rat's *edit* about the Rams

1 minute ago, Derailed75 said:

Forgot about the Philharmonic they are pretty damn good too! True about owners although in sad the Chargers left San Dog, LA doesnt deserve one team let alone 2. The last time they had 2 teams the Raiders were mediocre and no one gave a rat's *edit* about the Rams

We are quite happy here without them.  We have the Padres, and we have the Gulls (AHL affiliate of the Ducks).  Checkers used to come out to play here once a year when they joined the AHL, but now they limit travel.  I try to see the Canes when they visit Anaheim or LA, depending upon timing.

58 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

If you've got Facebook I assume you can see this but new aways will have the flags. Sorry if repost on my phone and didn't see it anywhere.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CardiacCanes/permalink/510390222837111/

Can't see it, and can't parse what you are saying.  "new aways"?

OH crap, as I write it, thunder strikes me.  New Away Sweaters.  Got it.  Good!

Edit: I originally thought "new hallways".  Ha ha.  Got PNC construction on my mind.  A few flags in the hallways is a good idea though.

Edited by wxray1

11 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Can't see it, and can't parse what you are saying.  "new aways"?

OH crap, as I write it, thunder strikes me.  New Away Sweaters.  Got it.  Good!

Edit: I originally thought "new hallways".  Ha ha.  Got PNC construction on my mind.  A few flags in the hallways is a good idea though.

I was being rushed to the car by my wife, I was like "Hold on! I have to tell the people!"

This is what I saw, I suppose....maybe it could be the shoulder patch but it looks promising. It's being revealed on the 20th.

Would be pretty cool if Williams is the model for it.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Definitely flags and at least the shoulders are white. 

As legend suggests, how cool would it be if they have a big reveal of the uniform, and a figure steps into a cloud of smoke and as the smoke clears it's Justin Williams in the new uniform? That would be freaking marketing genius. It would grab the attention of the national media, and be one for the ages. 

Frankly the idea of it gives me goosebumps. And if there were a cape? Oh man. 

• Like 3

I've been telling Mrs. Realm for months that we'd get new whites next season and that they'd be based on the blacks (i'm not ultra-clairvoyant or anything - i'll bet most of you have been thinking it too).  That video doesn't reveal much, but it doesn't give me any reason to think i (we) was (were) wrong.

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

Definitely flags and at least the shoulders are white. 

If legend suggests, how cool would it be if they have a big reveal of the uniform, and a figure steps into a cloud of smoke and as the smoke clears it's Justin Williams in the new uniform? That would be freaking marketing genius. It would grab the attention of the national media, and be one for the ages. 

Frankly the idea of it gives me goosebumps. And if there were a cape? Oh man. 

Remkin has been chewing on that wild weed found on his island. 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, caneswincup said:

I have no idea where to stick this but new “clear bag” policy implemented at PNC for all events: 

https://www.pncarena.com/Policies?elqTrackId=2a785d3c56f64bb4965ecae3471d5723&elq=a4d0b2eab1ba4448a0f53c40e02561bc&elqaid=2219&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=1833

Can't help but wonder what the markup on the PNC clear bags will be. :letssee:

1 hour ago, remkin said:

What about those with little kids who needs to bring diapers and what not?

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

What about those with little kids who needs to bring diapers and what 

Click the link. Diaper bags permitted but will be searched. So for those too far up their own re ends to realize a child in diapers will never remember anything about the event they are being drug too, thanks you will single handedly make the lines much slower.

Or you could, you know do the right thing and get a sitter

14 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I was being rushed to the car by my wife, I was like "Hold on! I have to tell the people!"

This is what I saw, I suppose....maybe it could be the shoulder patch but it looks promising. It's being revealed on the 20th.

Would be pretty cool if Williams is the model for it.

The flag in the video looks like a shoulder patch to me.  I guess they could also have a Flags crest, but someone posted the concept below online a couple weeks back and it has the usual crest with flags on the shoulders.  I wonder if it might have been created by someone who had leaked inside information? I hope not, as I like the Flags crest better.  We'll see in a couple days, and yeah, having Williams debut it would be brilliant.

Canes away concept.jpg

Canes away concept w flags.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Well, out of the goodness of the Carolina Hurricanes, they are giving one (1) bag per season ticket holder account for free!   Not per ticket, per account.

What a benefit!

• Like 1