The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

23 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Click the link. Diaper bags permitted but will be searched. So for those too far up their own re ends to realize a child in diapers will never remember anything about the event they are being drug too, thanks you will single handedly make the lines much slower.

Or you could, you know do the right thing and get a sitter

22 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Thanks for the tip.  Next time I want parenting advice I will ask you for it.

21 hours ago, cc said:

Or perhaps embrace inclusiveness and be respectful of others who wish to attend with their child. Perhaps money is limited. 🙄 

18 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Or you know, you can just not gripe about the fact I chose to take my daughter to several Canes games when she was still in diapers.

This clear plastic bag *edit* is getting pathetically out of hand!

12 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I'm a 3 time parent (24,21, and 10) when your daughter is 10 ask her how much she liked going to that game when she was 2

12 hours ago, Bonivan said:

My 3 years old was pretty excited last year especially when he got high five from Stormy before the game

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

She actually remembers it...especially since we flew all the way from Germany via London to attend!

Sorry (not!) for the multiple quotes.

I have very mixed feelings about this subject. I normally give kids the benefit of the doubt at sporting events, thinking that the parents are doing them a favor introducing them to sports in general. However, it works a heck of a lot better if the kids are well-behaved and not disturbing those around them.

Case study - last season's Stars/Panthers preseason game in Tulsa (AWAC, you gotta make the trip over this season. Sept. 21st, I think it is...) -

I was sitting near the top of Section 116, I think it was, sort of between the faceoff dots and the goal line. My ticket was one of the more reasonably-priced ones in the lower deck - $55, I think I paid. Sitting in the row in front of me were an older couple( grandma and grandpa, apparently) with two early-elementary aged kids. No worries, I thought before the game.

Well, let's see. The little boy alternated between three activities all game long - 1) playing a game on a cell phone, noisily and without headphones, 2) eating, noisily, and 3) bothering Grandpa (do I need to say "noisily?")

The little girl also alternated between three activities all game long - 1) calling Momma on Grandma's cell phone, noisily (and basically snatching the phone from Grandma's hand at one point, I noticed), 2) eating, noisily, and 3) bothering Grandma, likewise.

Scary as it seems, I was able to deduce from all this going on that Momma and Daddy were "on a date" at the game, sitting in some other section of the BOK Center, so they fobbed the kids off on Grandma and Grandpa who also wanted to go to the game.

tl;dr summary - I don't mind kids at sporting events, usually. I do mind it when people seem to think that the rights of the kids to not behave somehow supersede my right to enjoy the game as I prefer to enjoy it.

Edited by JonKerfoot

Don Waddell   has proven me wrong   and im so happy  .   I feel really really  stupid   . I know when to admit when im  wrong   and it's about time i admit it  !  I was Wrong  about Don Waddell  !!!   #HireWaddell !    new hashtag .    The reason why im saying this now is because of what just happened !  Chase Priskie Signed with the Canes .  he literally could of went  anywhere   and he chose Carolina !    Wow ,  Just Wow !   all that has been done this year all looks good on paper but lets see how it all works  out in the end ! 

• Like 1

Great signing! This is only speculation; but it's not likely we would have pursued him if Adam Fox was a Cane. So, in a sense, he replaces Fox on the depth chart. 

49 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Great signing! This is only speculation; but it's not likely we would have pursued him if Adam Fox was a Cane. So, in a sense, he replaces Fox on the depth chart. 

He is a better player than  Fox .   More Goals  on a weaker team to boot  than any college defenseman  this past season .   We all saw what Cale Makar   did for the Aves  in the playoffs  .   The Canes  Signed a player that is better than Makar ! Better than Fox !  Why on earth would Priskie  want to come to the canes  when the team is already loaded on defense  is beyond me .   It could be the area , it could be  the Coaching staff , it could be  he just really really likes what the organization is doing   .  and keep in mind   the teams also pursuing him ?  were   The Canadiens , Lightning , Panthers , Maple Leafs , Bruins  and of course Capitals  from what i heard .  It's simply amazing .  This kid beat out  ,Cale Makar , Joseph Duszak  ,  Noah Delmas ,  Brinson  Pasichnuk  Among defense  when it came to scoring goals .   It's Crazy  man . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Must be losing it, who is Priskie? I don't follow Sara Civ either.

Never mind, just googled and found out that he's a Hobey Baker award winning Dman that Caps can't sign, sooo Why are Caps unable to sign, and how could we be taking him on with our over supply of defensemen?

This brings up another question, I got the feeling that Caps cannot sign as they are at their contract limit of 50, is that correct? If so, how do we stand on that? I have never known how or where to check to see how close we stand to that number, but at one time thought we were pretty close? I'm guessing that's changed?

Yes the Caps were at the contract limit of 50 but Priskie was also a free agent effective 8/15. The Caps also have several D prospects in the organization. What I like about the kid is that he is not making any demands about rushing to the NHL. He knows he has to earn a spot. He also scored 10 PP goals in his last season. Priskie may feel that his style of play is better suited for our organization. Hats off to the kid and to our org for making it happen.

47 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

He is a better player than  Fox .   More Goals  on a weaker team to boot  than any college defenseman  this past season .   We all saw what Cale Makar   did for the Aves  in the playoffs  .   The Canes  Signed a player that is better than Makar ! Better than Fox !  Why on earth would Priskie  want to come to the canes  when the team is already loaded on defense  is beyond me .   It could be the area , it could be  the Coaching staff , it could be  he just really really likes what the organization is doing   .  and keep in mind   the teams also pursuing him ?  were   The Canadiens , Lightning , Panthers , Maple Leafs , Bruins  and of course Capitals  from what i heard .  It's simply amazing .  This kid beat out  ,Cale Makar , Joseph Duszak  ,  Noah Delmas ,  Brinson  Pasichnuk  Among defense  when it came to scoring goals .   It's Crazy  man . 

Better than Makar is probably pushing it a bit...

Yeah this is a really nice get. His name came up around the draft as we tried to trade for his rights, but this is even better as there is no cost. Aside from just stockpiling defensive prospects, why does he matter? Power Play.

This is a guy with legit PP QB pedigree.

As we looked at last year, that was one of the things we targeted as needing to fix. We added a sniper in Dzingle, and a playmaker in Haula. But the big need to fix the PP was a PP QB. Not just a guy with a bomb (though Priskie's shot is excellent) but a guy to run the thing. This is a guy who can do that.

Why he chose to sign with such a stacked team on D? Speculation, but with his contract coming up, and both being RHD, I just wonder if Justin Faulk is long for this team. My guess is Priskie starts in Charlotte, but ends up in Raleigh next year, if not sooner.

And Makar did it as a Freshman, so I agree with tapping the breaks on that, but I do suddenly feel a lot better about Fox, and the picks we got for him.

3 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Case study - last season's Stars/Panthers preseason game in Tulsa (AWAC, you gotta make the trip over this season. Sept. 21st, I think it is...) -

Looking at it...still TBD

25 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yes the Caps were at the contract limit of 50 but Priskie was also a free agent effective 8/15. The Caps also have several D prospects in the organization. What I like about the kid is that he is not making any demands about rushing to the NHL. He knows he has to earn a spot. He also scored 10 PP goals in his last season. Priskie may feel that his style of play is better suited for our organization. Hats off to the kid and to our org for making it happen.

Not sure Priskie would sign with us if we still had de Haan.

3 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Not sure Priskie would sign with us if we still had de Haan.

Cant answer that one but he may feel that this org is stepping forward and building for the future and might  feel that he is positioning his career appropriately.

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

I don't think you're going out on a limb there, lol.   Not only would we been less likely to pursue Priske, it's also that much less likely that he would have considered the Canes.  Funny how things sometimes work out.  Although it wasn't a direct transaction, I think it very much worked out that we got Priske plus two 2nd round picks for Fox. 

And looking at some of the recent NCAA defensemen that have been quite successful in the NHL gets me even more chuffed! :banana::yahoo:

Edited by LakeLivin

After reading up on this kid, it is much less exciting.  He's 23.  If he had those stats at 19, it would be more impressive.  Good signing for Charlotte, but a lot of work to see NHL time  On the bright side, at least we aren't talking about diapers anymore. 

14 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

After reading up on this kid, it is much less exciting.  He's 23.  If he had those stats at 19, it would be more impressive.  Good signing for Charlotte, but a lot of work to see NHL time  On the bright side, at least we aren't talking about diapers anymore. 

Only time will tell, and hard to get a realistic feel from just stats.  But Priske's numbers for his first two years in college were actually a bit better than what McAvoy did in his first two.  And Priske showed nice progression in college the two years after that.  Priske's goals over 4 years: 4, 7, 11, 17.  Fox's over 3 years: 6, 6, 9.  McAvoy over 2 years: 3, 5.  Again, raw numbers don't mean much; we need a northeastern college hockey fanatic that can provide some firsthand knowledge as to how those kids actually looked in college.  But the NHL success of recent good NCAA defensemen leaves me optimistic.    

1 hour ago, remkin said:

This is a guy with legit PP QB pedigree.

This would appear to be the key schtick possibly to this particular player wouldn't it rem? If true, and despite being 23, this could not only answer why we pursued him, but also why he considered signing with us over the others? Since a QB for the power play was such a glaring need for at least the past 2 years, if this guy can bring it, he might instantly find a place in the NHL? Also, if indeed 23, than he likely has matured past the growing pains that slow these Dmen at 1st? 

And the flip side of that is with that niche, a little bird in his ear could very well have pointed out that his place in the defensemen line likely is shorter?

Admittedly I will say his play away from the puck is nothing  amazing or  great but  with time he will fix that  up because it is something that can be taught .  Where Priskie   shines is when he has the puck on his stick  and  his shot is almost mirror for mirror  Heavy laced like Phil Kessels  when Kessel  was a softmore in the nhl .   That is what  we are getting with this kid .  A Smart two way defense man that  has  decent passing skills with  an outstanding shot  .    

Edited by Canesfanforever

It seems like quite a few of these college free agents have been less than spectacular in the NHL. I don't really see this as anymore than a pick up for Charlotte.

I was getting chuffed, and then some of you started popping my chuff balloon.  :(

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Didnt follow Sara until I realized her talents.

CzXBLY8WIAAYtWK.jpg_large.jpg

Stop showing off your wife slap, I know thats not Sara?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I was getting chuffed, and then some of you started popping my chuff balloon.  :(

Stay chuffed xray. Montreal, Florida, Tampa and others were going hard for Priskie per reports. Hobie Baker finalist. High skill D man. Captain of his team. Future PP QB. High end offensive potential. Cost nothing. Can take some time in AHL. Unlike Fox, wanted to be here. And we get the one or two second rounders for Fox.

A successfully dominant D out of the NCAA at age 23 is considerably more NHL ready than 19 year old CHL stars, who stand out playing against 17 -18 yo. In Division 1 NCAA, he was competing against other 22-23 yo players, so being more physically mature at 23 yo is an asset, and might allow him to make an immediate impact. If he plays to expectations during training camp, he may pass Fleury on the depth chart, and challenge Bean for the remaining slot.