The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

This is what it comes down to for me.

Slavin - Pesce

Hamilton-Faulk

Fleury - X

X= (in no order) Forsling, McKeown (if signed), or Priskie with one additional X as the seventh defenseman.  Camp picks two from that group to start the season.  This assumes TVR can go.

Edited by coastal_caniac

27 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

This is what it comes down to for me.

Slavin - Pesce

Hamilton-Faulk

Fleury - X

X= (in no order) Forsling, McKeown (if signed), or Priskie with one additional X as the seventh defenseman.  Camp picks two from that group to start the season.  This assumes TVR can go.

Despite a lot of bandwidth usage on my part I completely agree. I'd really like to get a look at McKeown out of camp as the X guy, but I do think a different guy could wow and earn that spot. Of course we have to sign the guy. For me, Priskie would have to blow doors off offensively and be at least solid defensively, but if he can QB the PP that could be his ticket.

And if they want to catch any contraband I might occasionally bring, they're going to need to go to clear pants and no one wants to see that.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:49 PM, beboplar said:

My bet would be riding it out and letting him go.

You are right that it's the last year of his deal. Thanks, and fixed it. 

Last season was the last year of Skinner's, and we moved him over the summer. 

Which doesn't necessarily mean a damned thing. But it doesn't necessary mean nothing, either.

Edited by top-shelf-1

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You are right that it's the last year of his deal. Thanks, and fixed it. 

Last season was the last year of Skinner's, and we moved him over the summer. 

Which doesn't necessarily mean a damned thing. But it doesn't necessary mean nothing, either.

Management tried to move both Faulk and Skinner last summer.  I think Skinner embodied the type of player RBA did not want to go to war with.  The team needed more grit, and the likes of Skinner were replaced by Ferland and Martinook.  What does it say when management moves 3 players drafted in the top 7 of their draft years (Lindholm and Hanfan at 5 and Skinner at 7) and make immediate progress?  While the Skinner trade was widely PuPued, it did bring valuable draft assets.  Faulk's playing time was not diminished last season, and he is not a player management has given up on.  They won't just give him away.  In the end I don't see them retaining him with their other RH D assets in place.

Like the new away’s a lot more than our previous ones (which were awful imo).

The word-mark on the “C” makes it somewhat unique, and the 3D sightless eye on the helmet looks good/unique. Alternate logo shoulder patches look nice.

Not usually a fan of the diagonal lettering but I’ll see if I get used to it. Better reserved for more traditional/older teams imo. 

Of course the real test is what they look like on the ice. I wasn’t crazy about the new black alternates until I saw them on the ice, which blew me away. I hope the opposite isn’t true in this case.

Edited by Kyrule

So much for it being Justin Williams in the video. The diagonal lettering is going to take some getting used to, but I understand wanting all 3 jerseys to have a different logo. I liked everything else about it immediately.

CanesAwayJersey.jpg

...having said that I would have preferred the alternate logo as the main logo, and the traditional logo as the shoulder patch.

• Like 1

If Faulk had trotted out another -26 this past year, he'd be gone for Pu and picks. But he did not. Skinner was dealt but Faulk got the memo and cleaned up his game. His transition was really noteworthy IMO. It happened and even those of us who had tired of him should see it. I'm guessing Faulk will maintain what he did last year and if he does, he will be a key part of our top 4. There is always reasonable concern that he might slip. That would be a shame because it could also lower his trade value, right when we might want to trade him. But if he maintains we probably won't want to.

After watching this team and the NHL for a while now, it seems that one of the most difficult things to do is sell high. Trading a player when he's good and has time left on his contract is just hard to do. It's not just us, it's league-wide. Buying low is tricky, but easier. Also, selling high is tough to sell to fans. So, really, it is normal to have happen what happened to Skinner and Faulk: getting to that last year un-traded, and unsigned. We absolutely could not trade Faulk last year because he was too important to our success.

So to get full value for Faulk, we'd need to sign and trade or trade and sign, but most players are not down with that with UFA around the corner, and if they don't agree, then the "sign" part never happens. Further Faulk has a limited NTC. He'll probably remain worth more to us than he can return in a trade.

The Faulk of last season is too important to this team to trade him now IMO. This is partly because we traded DeHaan, but DeHaan is coming off of an injury, and may not be ready, so I get that, but if we did have De Haan, our top 4 would be solid enough to move Faulk. So we have Forsling instead of DeHaaan, and Faulk is substantially more top 4 than Forsling.  Unless someone in the pipeline not only moves the puck effortlessly,  but scores, and sticks their D like glue, it is too risky to move Faulk now. Plus with his NTC, return will not be prime.

All of that said, I'm actually pumped about this year's team top to bottom, including Faulk. The following season, and beyond, will unfold as they do, but the lineup for this season is very strong. We are sneaky good up front, and our top 4 D is rock solid. If Faulk just keeps playing the way he did last year, goodness will follow.

20 minutes ago, Kaze said:

So much for it being Justin Williams in the video. The diagonal lettering is going to take some getting used to, but I understand wanting all 3 jerseys to have a different logo. I liked everything else about it immediately.

CanesAwayJersey.jpg

I guess we were inspired by this?

41yKzoiisEL.jpg

Can't say I love it, but then it'll probably grow on me. At least it's not a banana slug.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sorry but i find this jersey to be garbage 

for a guy who hates whites, he went more white with the jersey 

I love it beyond all expectation. Most awesome design ever.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

Can't say I love it, but then it'll probably grow on me. At least it's not a banana slug.

At least it’s not last year’s version.

It’s the worst of the three (I love the other two) but it’s a hell of a lot better than what we had the last couple years. They were embarrassingly bad imo.

I’m willing to give them a chance, like I said there are aspects that make them unique (the overall uniform).

...AND NO SHOULDER YOKE!

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

@remkin It's definitely better than that Bolts nonsense or the Buffaslug. It looks better in the video than it does in the pictures, so I think in a game it'll look good.