The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Question...I read one liners here/there that if Willy packs it in then Aho would be the likely Captain.  I think there are better candidates and more important  let Aho focus and continue to build on his game and not the other stuff. At most maybe an A? And as a segue I think players should pick their leader not the coach. No?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Question...I read one liners here/there that if Willy packs it in then Aho would be the likely Captain.  I think there are better candidates and more important  let Aho focus and continue to build on his game and not the other stuff. At most maybe an A? And as a segue I think players should pick their leader not the coach. No?

Agree completely, but I'll just stick my neck out further (because I've said this so many times already that if I'm wrong, it'll be easier to just cut my head off than try to get all the egg off my face) and say it again: Willy will be back. He's done everything in his career the right way; I expect no less of him when it's time to hang 'em up. Given the strides the team took last year with him leading the charge and the improvements made over the summer, I can't see him announcing his retirement at this point short of (heaven forbid) some health issue preventing his return.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I think there are better candidates

Based on unwritten hockey orders of succession it would pretty much have to go to Staal, but in a perfect world (i.e., he doesn't want it and the players choose) I'd vote for Slavin all day long. Mature beyond his years, exudes a quiet confidence, and is usually the first guy back at the rink as the season approaches--if he leaves at all.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

JR would have made Aho captain for marketing reasons alone.  Brindy isn't gonna have that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, remkin said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-prospect-rankings-top-50-players-nhl-pipelines-2019-20/f5rpke886k4d1a2st6s5ym20x

Sporting News top 50 NHL prospects. This is all prospects over several drafts. Names of note:

18. Necas

38. Bean

14. Adam Fox. 

If Fox was still a Cane, the order would be different.  His star is magnified due to his address.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, beboplar said:

If Fox was still a Cane, the order would be different.  His star is magnified due to his address.  

Probably, also, it has to help to be in the news rather than in the system.

Noticed on the official prospect attendees list that the “alternate” logo was used. 

At least it didn’t say:

C

A

N

E

S

I’m BORED!

We doing the fantasy league again this year so I can win for the 5th year in a row? ;)

This is likely "old news" to most, but saw where the Lightening signed Patrick Maroon to a $900K deal yesterday? I'd kind of held out hope that should Williams not reup, thought Maroon could be a good replacement? Guess that option is off the table?

I really really think we go to Necas if Williams doesn't go and maybe even if he does. I just don't see trying to find some old vet that's still out there that can fit into our cap. I saw NHL.com's fantasy guy is projecting 44 points for Necas. Not sure if that's points or fantasy points, but either way. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, remkin said:

some old vet

Maroon was only 31 wasn't it, and besides "some" scoring, also could have brought "grit" that I doubt Necas has or possibly will ever have rem? I wouldn't even want to risk him in that capacity, so points are desirable but "old" experience and grit can be valuable?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Maroon was only 31 wasn't it, and besides "some" scoring, also could have brought "grit" that I doubt Necas has or possibly will ever have rem? I wouldn't even want to risk him in that capacity, so points are desirable but "old" experience and grit can be valuable?

Well my post was more general than directed at Maroon.Maroon has scored in the past, but not the last two years and I think Maroon is slow too. I just see a guy like that as blocking a guy like Necas. To me, it only makes sense to add a guy if he fits in and can score 50 points or so. Otherwise roll with Necas and speed IMO. 

I still drool at the theoretical idea of Dzingle/Haula/Necas. The speed of light line.

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

I had read that piece a day or two ago rem, and it's just about as clear as mud to me. Apparently Sara speculates that 3 factors were involved, yet I count only 2. Further, unless parts of that article were left out (not by you as that's the way it was when I first read it), the reasoning she used seems to point to Washington as a better course to the NHL, as one of the apparent points she makes is he'll almost surely be on the 3rd pairing and will need a vet to help him out so as not to be an exploitable weakness? With DeHaan traded and TvR likely out for a bit, who are we pairing with him? Yet the Caps seem to have a player with some experience to put with him? Am I reading that incorrectly?

22 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I had read that piece a day or two ago rem, and it's just about as clear as mud to me. Apparently Sara speculates that 3 factors were involved, yet I count only 2. Further, unless parts of that article were left out (not by you as that's the way it was when I first read it), the reasoning she used seems to point to Washington as a better course to the NHL, as one of the apparent points she makes is he'll almost surely be on the 3rd pairing and will need a vet to help him out so as not to be an exploitable weakness? With DeHaan traded and TvR likely out for a bit, who are we pairing with him? Yet the Caps seem to have a player with some experience to put with him? Am I reading that incorrectly?

Have to click on the "article continues" to get the last part. Was Sara speculating? I thought it was written like she had some information that, for instance Priskie was told that we would be moving a regular NHL D man. How much does she know vs speculate? I don't know. 

I keep reading about TVR missing time, but I thought he was supposed to be good to go for training camp or the start of the season?

AT  CDT | BY  2 COMMENTS

UPDATE: Carolina has confirmed the prognosis that van Riemsdyk did undergo surgery on his damaged shoulder on Thursday. However, the team lists his timeline for recovery as four to six months, meaning these is some doubt about whether van Riemsdyk will be healthy for the start of the 2019-20 season.

This is what was released at the time of his surgery. By my math the range would be Sept 4 to Nov 4. I'm not sure of any progress reports. 

I wonder if this might have even been part of Priskie's thought process.

Return November 4, and be ineffective until March 4*.  So, yeah, it darn well could be part of the thought process.

* - There's "back to regular activities" after surgery, and then there's the real recovery time, which is always longer.

• Like 1

Found a full set of these after poking around in some stuff in a Canes tuff-tote today.  Dadgum.

This guy is still one of my favorite players just because "what are you doing and where are you going" at the time.  His skating for a D-man was, just, smooth.  He was, and still is a pioneer of today's defensive game.

image.thumb.png.beb47ce88f3316a6f64f5279c210d0a3.png

• Like 3

And wasn't he part of finding SeaBass?  Also probably the last straw injury leading to no touch icing in the NHL. He sure was smooth, loved to carry the puck all the way down the ice, into the zone, behind the net, back around....very cool.