Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

Recommended Posts

Yeah, Joni’s injury was one of the only times the league took notice of something that happened in Carolina.

 

It’s just a shame that’s what it took...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Joni's skating was a thing of beauty and frequently misunderstood as "lazy". 

Edited by KJUNKANE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kyrule said:

 

I saw this, but I thought that not long ago they said TVR was skating (I know it was a shoulder injury), and he said something about being ready for camp/the start of the season. Recovery was reportedly going well.

 

Maybe I was seeing things.

No, you're probably right if you saw that. I think the range is more often set up to let the athlete look super human by coming back either early or at the beginning of the range. The beginning of the range would be in a couple of weeks. I do agree with the idea that the guy with the shoulder injury might get back, but not be 100%, and that also could play into camp and getting a look at other guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockey News piece on top 10 teams likely to get significant help from a rookie:

 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-rookie-effect-help-is-on-the-way-for-these-10-nhl-teams

 

The article mentions Ned and Bean also, but it's mostly Necas. I don't agree with us not being blessed with a lot of scoring up front, it's just more depth and high end potential. I'm really not trying to beat the drum for Necas. In fact if Williams returns, Necas will probably have to really wow to start off with the Canes. Just that a lot of press is penciling Necas into our lineup.

 

Quote:

 

Calder Trophy candidates: The Hurricanes need scoring, and that’s exactly what Necas brings to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 11:23 AM, remkin said:

Hockey News piece on top 10 teams likely to get significant help from a rookie:

 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-rookie-effect-help-is-on-the-way-for-these-10-nhl-teams

 

The article mentions Ned and Bean also, but it's mostly Necas. I don't agree with us not being blessed with a lot of scoring up front, it's just more depth and high end potential. I'm really not trying to beat the drum for Necas. In fact if Williams returns, Necas will probably have to really wow to start off with the Canes. Just that a lot of press is penciling Necas into our lineup.

 

Quote:

 

Calder Trophy candidates: The Hurricanes need scoring, and that’s exactly what Necas brings to the table.

I guess this means the ball's in my court :)

 

The minute a sportswriter is named a head coach or GM, I'll give weight to what they think in-season, let alone when they have a blank page starting them down in the summer. How does Necas bring scoring to the table? Do these guys even look at stats? He brings playmaking (read: assists). Almost without exception throughout his development, his A number has outpaced his G one, often by a good margin.

 

He also hadn't played 82 games in a regular season before last year, and only did then if you count the playoffs. His two previous regular seasons back home were 24 and 41 games long, and he wasn't even in the PPG zip code in either of them, in one of Europe's lower-grade leagues. See for yourself.

 

There is no way I hang my hat on Martin Necas stepping in and setting the world on fire, or anything close to it, with one full year of hockey on these rinks under his belt--in the AHL, to boot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it seems that I'm trying to make a case for Necas, but really I've made the case to the extent I can before camp. We'll have to see what he looks like in camp and pre season at least. I'm just finding various things out there in these ultra dead days. It is interesting that a few guys have Necas as a point getter next year, but it doesn't mean much. I think Necas will get a full blown, "its his to blow" slot if Williams retires, but if Williams comes back Necas is going to have to force his way on, and then someone else will have to be moved probably from the lower ranks. 

 

I personally would project Necas to about 35-38 points if he played most of the season, probably 10 goals and 25-28 assists. But that's pretty good. Its more than Wallmark, McGinn, Foegele, McKegg, or Martinook, or Maenalen or their projections. And, I think his upside for next year is higher than that. 

 

But it's all just speculation pre camp. So camp and preseason cannot get here fast enough. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, beboplar said:

McKeown was a +30 this season, and I am not sure why the team resigned TVR when we have that kind of guy knocking on the door.

 

TVR is still on the 2-year deal he originally signed when he came over from the Hawks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

TVR is still on the 2-year deal he originally signed when he came over from the Hawks.

With all due respect, I don't think that is true.  His deal with the Hawks ran out at the end of his 1st season with the Canes, after the trade from Vegas.  The Canes then resigned him to a new 2 year deal, which is the subject of my comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beboplar said:

With all due respect, I don't think that is true.  His deal with the Hawks ran out at the end of his 1st season with the Canes, after the trade from Vegas.  The Canes then resigned him to a new 2 year deal, which is the subject of my comment.

 

My bad, you are exactly right...thanks.

 

" Having been exposed by the Blackhawks at the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft, van Riemsdyk was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights on June 21, 2017.[13] The following day, he was traded by the Golden Knights along with a seventh-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.[14] On July 5, 2018, he signed a two-year, $4.6 million contract extension with the Hurricanes."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Hmmm, That must mean that the massive jumbotron is in place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah. Puts it's size in perspective. It really is blueline to blue line. I gotta get one of those for my bonus room.

 

EDAY6W2WsAEA6y0.jpg:large

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, remkin said:

Woah. Puts it's size in perspective. It really is blueline to blue line. I gotta get one of those for my bonus room.

 

EDAY6W2WsAEA6y0.jpg:large

Bigly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

My bad, you are exactly right...thanks.

 

" Having been exposed by the Blackhawks at the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft, van Riemsdyk was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights on June 21, 2017.[13] The following day, he was traded by the Golden Knights along with a seventh-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.[14] On July 5, 2018, he signed a two-year, $4.6 million contract extension with the Hurricanes."

No worries.  I was very surprised they resigned TVR.  Not because he is not a solid dependable 3rd line D man, but because McKeown had already proven he could be that 3rd line D man at a fraction of the cost, PLUS they either had just signed de Haan or were about to.  I could have my timing off, but I think those two transactions were reasonably close together.  The only thing I can think of is that management seriously thought they would be able to move Faulk back then, and wanted TVR for RH depth.

Edited by beboplar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why did Rod send McKeown back to Charlotte in the first round of cuts last year and to date isn't signed?  If in fact he's proved beyond all doubt he can take an NHL spot from TVR or somebody else?

 

He won't be at camp without a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to point this out to everyone that dont  know   or to those who do know and dont think it's an issue . 

 

Among the Canes roster   here is your list of forwards that shoot  LEFT 

 

Left handed shooters  category :

 

Aho 

Dzingle 

Haula 

Teravianen

Svechnikov 

Foegele

Martinook 

Staal

Wallmark

Gibbons

Mcginn 

Maenalanen

Niederreitier 

 

And your forwards that shoot right ?

 

* Crickets *

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Speculations on who  could come in to shoot right as a forward ?

 

Williams 

Necas 

Geekie 

Gauthier 

 

It's possible that Necas could make the team  or that Williams  could   get another year   and things would be nice and tidy  for a while 

 

But  it's not possible for Geekie or Gauthier  to make the team  any time soon  because i think they need  some more time to develop . 

 

But what if the canes choose to not bring  in anyone that shoot right ? I just dont see how the power play can work well when no one is there   to do set ups   for a right handed shot .  Using the defense to fill in the gaps   is cute but not practical  cause it gets exposed ! 

 

 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 9:11 PM, remkin said:

I know it seems that I'm trying to make a case for Necas

I don't think that at all. I just think hype is one thing and stats are another. When you look closely at what the Czech system has contributed to the NHL, in comparison to the contributions of other Euro systems, it's night and day. That system has a vested interest in inflating the achievements of its best players, of which Martin was unquestionably one. But when you ignore the organizational and sportswriter hype and look at the actual numbers, letting him develop at his own pace makes sense, and it makes double the sense in an org which is (now) stacked as deeply as this one. 

 

We've got a roadmap for what happens when you force guys into more than they're ready for (Lindy, Hanifin, and a whole lot of former Checkers and River Rats before them). Now we don't have to do that anymore, and I'm confident that with Necas and anyone else, Roddy won't buy into his own org's PR. 

 

Edited by top-shelf-1
brevity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, beboplar said:

No worries.  I was very surprised they resigned TVR.

It happened for the same reason they got Dougie: they thought they could move Faulk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I don't think McKeown was ever given a chance to prove it.

He absolutely was, and did. Ron called him NHL ready three years ago.

 

The bottleneck is Faulk. I know many are tired of me beating that drum, but when you bring in a Hamilton and re-sign TVR, it's pretty obvious what your intentions are. But thanks to JR, Faulk can submit a 15-team list of teams he'll agree to be traded to. He's settled into the community here. He's a two-time (sorta) All-Star. You can bet your bottom dollar he is loading that list, which he gets to update every June, with teams that are already defensively stacked.

 

Thanks (yet again) Jim Rutherford.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I just wanted to point this out to everyone that dont  know   or to those who do know and dont think it's an issue . 

 

Among the Canes roster   here is your list of forwards that shoot  LEFT 

 

Left handed shooters  category :

 

Aho 

Dzingle 

Haula 

Teravianen

Svechnikov 

Foegele

Martinook 

Staal

Wallmark

Gibbons

Mcginn 

Maenalanen

Niederreitier 

 

And your forwards that shoot right ?

 

* Crickets *

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Speculations on who  could come in to shoot right as a forward ?

 

Williams 

Necas 

Geekie 

Gauthier 

 

It's possible that Necas could make the team  or that Williams  could   get another year   and things would be nice and tidy  for a while 

 

But  it's not possible for Geekie or Gauthier  to make the team  any time soon  because i think they need  some more time to develop . 

 

But what if the canes choose to not bring  in anyone that shoot right ? I just dont see how the power play can work well when no one is there   to do set ups   for a right handed shot .  Using the defense to fill in the gaps   is cute but not practical  cause it gets exposed ! 

 

 

Had to respond to this Cff. Although an excellent analysis, and I for one can't say that I was aware of, or pay much attention to "handedness", if you're proposing that this affects success or failure of our impotent power play, I must disagree. It seems to me that except for Svech's sparing partner (the infamous thug known as the Great 8 in some circles), 1 timers are passe. For decades it seems now, rumblings have been mounting about "net front presence", yet we rarely master that feat. And although I am in no way a statistics master, my belief is that PP goals generally come from traffic around the net and are of the so-called "greasy type", generally tip ins, ricochets off players skates, scrums or numerous other for want of a better word, lucky shots. So, my conclusion, and I'd defer to those on here who have experience playing the game, but my conclusion is that besides from giving the illusion that we have a "balanced team", these players who are playing on their "off side" since about birth have learned to compensate for what appears limiting to those of us who have no experience skating, much less playing from a side contrary to our brain wave? But thanks for your insight.

 

After posting the above, I had 1 other thought Cff. Although I'd bet that our statistician has looked at this, why don't you analyze about 10 teams that have good PP results for "handedness" and see if there's any correlation? Then I might accept your analysis as an impediment to our woeful power play results?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...