The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

1 hour ago, top-shelf-2 said:

As for Terry, and speaking of the Flyers, how sad is that this organization once allowed my grit radar to slip so far that it actually seemed (to me, a guy present at the creation of the Broad Street Bullies) like he brought grit?

I was thinking the same thing. The bar had been set so low, in so many areas (physicality, goaltending, expectation to win, etc.) that anything that even remotely went against the norm stood out. 

Sad.

Hopefully those days are over.

• Like 1

Those days are over. For a while at least. Our system's productivity is finally pushing up in a strong way. Roy and Saarela were traded for NHL players, well at least one. Foegele became the latest later round NHL player (watch this kid this year). Aho, Slavin, Pesce, Svech, Faulk, McGinn, Wallmark also all drafted. But mainly we have not traded a single one of our highest end prospects, and in fact have picked up Priskie to add to an already deep mix.

Right now, instead of bringing up a Bowman or Terry or Dalpe, we might not have room for a grade A prospect in Necas, who IMO is the best full year Charlotte prospect we've every had. And not only is the system still deep with Necas, Geekie, Drury, Suzuki, Gauthier, McKeown, Bean, Priskie, Ned, Kotchetkov, Rees, Puistola and more, but we have 6 picks in the first round next year, including two firsts and two second rounders. 

Things have not looked this good in a long time. We have really built on Francis' draft and develop and it's just starting to pay off. 

Building off the optimism Boomer Gordon over on XM, gave us some nice respect power ranking us 9. (I think, or 8). His main point is the one I've been making. This team after December 29, was on a normal year President's Cup pace. And then we kept it rolling into a final 4 playoff run. If we just kept the band together, we ought to be an easy playoff team. But we mostly added (except DeHaan). We added two fast, quality forwards in Haula and Dzingel. The only concerns are goal and Justin Williams possible retirement. 

Not all prognosticators are respecting us, but I think he's right.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

The only concerns are goal and Justin Williams possible retirement. 

Well, JWilly went indeterminate.  For now, call him gone.  This does open up the captaincy.  If done right, this can continue to boost the team by choosing a young, respected player. 

Hurricanes captain will not join team for start of 2019-20 season

This from the website. Surely the team is not closing the door putting it that way. Again, no mention of "retire". (bold mine).

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Well, JWilly went indeterminate.  For now, call him gone.  This does open up the captaincy.  If done right, this can continue to boost the team by choosing a young, respected player. 

This is really screwed up, waaaaaaay out of character, and frankly, selfish. Adjectives I never expected to use in describing Justin, who is essentially my hero. Talk about an unnecessary distraction.

Retire, so the team can move on without wondering what's next. If you decide later to try coming back, fine. Others have, with varying degrees of success. But this isn't good for anybody.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-2 said:

This is really screwed up, waaaaaaay out of character, and frankly, selfish. Adjectives I never expected to use in describing Justin, who is essentially my hero. Talk about an unnecessary distraction.

This situation sparks a few memories from my teenage years. 

• Like 1

FWIW Williams could also have his mind made up and the teams (specifically Roddy) begging him not to retire. 

Edited by legend-1

Retire, so the team can move on without wondering what's next. If you decide later to try coming back, fine. Others have, with varying degrees of success. But this isn't good for anybody.

I agree completely here top, essentially putting us in limbo as I term it. Sure it's his prerogative, he's earned it, but it hamstrings the team a bit as far as seeking vet replacement? I mean, granted Cap space is limited, but for instance a "plan B" calls for someone being whispered about, Brian Boyle (and please don't debate his pros and cons as that's not my point), but now you risk getting player X, and then Justin decides he does want to return, now what can you do? Justin is a class act, and perhaps there's behind the scenes understanding, but boy at 1st glimpse this just got strung out too long?

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Building off the optimism Boomer Gordon over on XM, gave us some nice respect power ranking us 9. (I think, or 8). His main point is the one I've been making. This team after December 29, was on a normal year President's Cup pace. And then we kept it rolling into a final 4 playoff run. If we just kept the band together, we ought to be an easy playoff team. But we mostly added (except DeHaan). We added two fast, quality forwards in Haula and Dzingel. The only concerns are goal and Justin Williams possible retirement. 

Sporting news had us 2nd in Metro, that may have included JW.

• Like 1

Mabye the Canes should just say if he's not in, he's out. I know I would move forward without him in the plans.

I'll say it again though. I'd be very disappointed if we go out and bring in a middling veteran forward. We will miss Williams on the ice, but Svech and Foegele will step their games up, and Haula and Dzingle will more than make up for Williams' points. So, we need to have at least one top 9 slot for a yute, this year Necas. I know I've been banging that drum, but even I would have preferred Williams. Now that Williams will not be there though, the upside is a spot for Necas to show his stuff. If we bring some low grade guy in and block that, I'd be miffed. 

We can't afford a real serious upgrade right now, so the only move in that direction would have to be a trade for a talent up front using a D man. But that is not easy to find at all, let alone now.

So GM Remkin goes next man up. No more moves needed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

We can't afford a real serious upgrade right now, so the only move in that direction would have to be a trade for a talent up front using a D man. But that is not easy to find at all, let alone now.

I get your point and concede to it. Thinking on this statement, rem, just another way that this indeterminate decision has put us in "limbo", because now it lets teams know we are "reaching", thus they can increase their ask if they enter a trade scenario with us.

Just wanted to add that I don't think Justin made these considerations as he thought out his decision, so I'm not being critical, but it just points out how there can be unforeseen damage from little things?

Edited by KJUNKANE

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I get your point and concede to it. Thinking on this statement, rem, just another way that this indeterminate decision has put us in "limbo", because now it lets teams know we are "reaching", thus they can increase their ask if they enter a trade scenario?

I guess it depends on how the committee really feels about Necas, the rookies from last year, and the new guys. This will also be affected by how guys look in camp and injuries. But if they feel the way I do, the won't feel any pressure to make a deal because Necas is ready, Svech and Foegele will step up, and Dzingel plus Haula is more than Williams by himself. 

We really could have used Williams' 50 points and his particular brand of leadership, but we have more hidden scoring even with Williams out, and already here than we got last year. I would bet that this team, even without Williams, outscores last year's team.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I guess it depends on how the committee really feels about Necas, the rookies from last year, and the new guys. This will also be affected by how guys look in camp and injuries. But if they feel the way I do, the won't feel any pressure to make a deal because Necas is ready, Svech and Foegele will step up, and Dzingel plus Haula is more than Williams by himself. 

We really could have used Williams' 50 points and his particular brand of leadership, but we have more hidden scoring even with Williams out, and already here than we got last year. I would bet that this team, even without Williams, outscores last year's team.

We don't know what Dzingle and Huala will bring.  What I do know is we are missing s 40 point gritty power forward and a 50 point guy.  IMO our forward group is weaker than last years.

41 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

We don't know what Dzingle and Huala will bring.  What I do know is we are missing s 40 point gritty power forward and a 50 point guy.  IMO our forward group is weaker than last years.

I'll give you that we don't know that. Williams was incredibly consistent, though a year older, who knows if he'd have fallen off? Of course I'd rather have Williams back, and it's hard to see Necas, his likely replacement going 20G/50P like Williams tends to do, but he probably doesn't need to.

Dzingel and Haula in their most recent full seasons scored 29 goals and 23 goals, 55 and 56 points. Each better than Williams, and much better than Ferland. Those were highs for them both, so who knows? But playing in our system with skilled linemates, I think they can be close to those numbers.

On top of that though, I'd bet a fair amount that Svech is going much higher than last year, and a good, but lesser amount, that Foegele breaks out a bit too. 

Then there's (as always, IMO) Necas, who I think is good for 15G and 35 points, possible more, which would be just shy of what Ferland actually scored. 

We shall see. We need TT and Aho to stay healthy. It is an interesting prop bet for an over/under. Last year the Canes scored 243 goals. Almost exactly dead middle of the league. Will they go over, or under that this season? I think over was a very good bet with Williams, but I'll still go over even without him. 

But that's just my opinion, and a bet at that.

55 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Our payroll is significantly higher so if you're being consistent we've got to be better, right?  Wasn't it you who said last season that there was no way we could make the playoffs with a payroll that low? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Our payroll is significantly higher so if you're being consistent we've got to be better, right?  Wasn't it you who said last season that there was no way we could make the playoffs with a payroll that low? :rolleyes:

And we didn't.  We want out and got Nino which propelled us.

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'll give you that we don't know that. Williams was incredibly consistent, though a year older, who knows if he'd have fallen off? Of course I'd rather have Williams back, and it's hard to see Necas, his likely replacement going 20G/50P like Williams tends to do, but he probably doesn't need to.

Dzingel and Haula in their most recent full seasons scored 29 goals and 23 goals, 55 and 56 points. Each better than Williams, and much better than Ferland. Those were highs for them both, so who knows? But playing in our system with skilled linemates, I think they can be close to those numbers.

On top of that though, I'd bet a fair amount that Svech is going much higher than last year, and a good, but lesser amount, that Foegele breaks out a bit too. 

Then there's (as always, IMO) Necas, who I think is good for 15G and 35 points, possible more, which would be just shy of what Ferland actually scored. 

We shall see. We need TT and Aho to stay healthy. It is an interesting prop bet for an over/under. Last year the Canes scored 243 goals. Almost exactly dead middle of the league. Will they go over, or under that this season? I think over was a very good bet with Williams, but I'll still go over even without him. 

But that's just my opinion, and a bet at that.

My concern is size/grit. 

Edited by bluedevil58

11 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

And we didn't.  We want out and got Nino which propelled us.

We got Nino mid January.  Here's just one of your many posts from late February telling us we couldn't make the playoffs with that low a payroll.   

On 2/23/2019 at 7:12 AM, bluedevil58 said:

Yea but we're  not.  So it is either put on the big boy pants and fork out more cash or continue just missing the playoffs.

I think on this one you're best off just::

1770620869_homerbushes.gif.2226685f6df138658d6001734d8ae592.gif

37 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We got Nino mid January.  Here's just one of your many posts from late February telling us we couldn't make the playoffs with that low a payroll.   

This post gets a 3 gif rating!

933DF7DB-6AFB-40A6-A907-80F78ACD134A.gif

20990160-6B3E-43A9-8944-19ADDF8D2E3F.gif

B207EC8A-FFA4-4C17-8ED7-AEFC73DA5722.gif

50 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Congrats on having the time to dig up old posts on these forums.  I will now go back to watching TV with my wife.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

My concern is size/grit. 

That is fair. We have given up some grit for speed. We shall see how it works out.