The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Congrats on having the time to dig up old posts on these forums.  I will now go back to watching TV with my wife.

These days I"m pretty sensitive to "ignore the facts and believe what I say".  Google search takes maybe a minute.  I can invest a minute to expose misrepresentations.  I just wish more people would do the same. 

Hope you enjoyed your TV show. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, top-shelf-2 said:

This is really screwed up, waaaaaaay out of character, and frankly, selfish. Adjectives I never expected to use in describing Justin, who is essentially my hero. Talk about an unnecessary distraction.

Retire, so the team can move on without wondering what's next. If you decide later to try coming back, fine. Others have, with varying degrees of success. But this isn't good for anybody.

I think it is all blarney. I "stepped away" from working over 10 years ago and had no intentions of coming back. I think it is the press and chat rooms that are taking his phrase out of context. JW will not be back as he has stated he is not physically or mentally prepared. Cam and JW will be playing for skins on the golf course.

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

These days I"m pretty sensitive to "ignore the facts and believe what I say".  Google search takes maybe a minute.  I can invest a minute to expose misrepresentations.  I just wish more people would do the same. 

Hope you enjoyed your TV show. 

I'm still wondering why you switched gears.  I stated the team couldn't make the playoffs at the current salary at the start of the season.   They then made changes and got Nino which I stated.  You then switch gears and reference another post where we were all ****** based on the team going down the tubes during a rough patch right around the 10 game left mark. 

You're doing all you can to save face because you got owned earlier where I referenced the Nino acquisition. 

Now that Willy has stepped away:

Is 

Svech-Aho-Turbo

Dzingle-Haula-Necas/Maenalenan

Nino-Staal-Foegele

McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook

Slavin-Hamilton

Pesce-Faulk

Fluery-TVR

Mrazek-Reimer

better than

Ferland-Aho-Turbo

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Martinook-Wallmark-Svech

Foegele-Rask-Maenalenan

Slavin-Hamilton

de Haan-Faulk

Pesce-TVR

Mrazek-McE

on the surface answer: yes, more talent on the top 6 that pushed the 2nd and 3rd line folks down a line. Dzingle and Haula replace Williams' and Ferland's production, Svech adding in more production than last season, Wallmark may hit a whole new level, anything Necas adds is just more addition production, and the defense is still solid.

because we have to play the games answer: Its a different team and we'll have to see. Haula has looked good in the beer league play but how will the knee feel in the NHL, has Mrazek turned it around, will the team be physical enough to handle the metro this season, how much will the team hurt without Willie's leadership during a slump, and how much more will the 2017 and 2018 first rounders add?

I like our chances and the potential addition Williams addition after the new year could really push the team into a new category.  

Rather dumb question for this group, but I'll pose it anyway. What precludes Justin Williams from poking his head into the locker room every now and then, possibly even regularly? It could keep him engaged and might help when moral is waning. I'm asking because I'm unaware if non-coaches are allowed ON A REGULAR BASIS. Good or bad idea, although I could see it as a divisive factor IF a new captain is chosen. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Rather dumb question for this group, but I'll pose it anyway. What precludes Justin Williams from poking his head into the locker room every now and then, possibly even regularly? It could keep him engaged and might help when moral is waning. I'm asking because I'm unaware if non-coaches are allowed ON A REGULAR BASIS. Good or bad idea, although I could see it as a divisive factor IF a new captain is chosen. Just a thought.

Once in a while would be good for any good standing former Hurricane to drop by to drop a line of support.

A regular basis would make it difficult for the new Captain to comfortably do things his way.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm still wondering why you switched gears.  I stated the team couldn't make the playoffs at the current salary at the start of the season.   They then made changes and got Nino which I stated.  You then switch gears and reference another post where we were all ****** based on the team going down the tubes during a rough patch right around the 10 game left mark. 

You're doing all you can to save face because you got owned earlier where I referenced the Nino acquisition. 

Oh no, I got owned! :o  Seriously, thanks for the chuckle. :grin:

There are a lot of people who'll believe you if you tell the same lie often enough.  I'm not one of them.  :tsktsk:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Now that Willy has stepped away:

Is 

Svech-Aho-Turbo

Dzingle-Haula-Necas/Maenalenan

Nino-Staal-Foegele

Slavin-Hamilton

Pesce-Faulk

Fluery-TVR

Mrazek-Reimer

better than.....

Svech-Aho-Turbo

Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Nino-Staal-Foegele

Maenalenan

Slavin-Hamilton

Pesce-Faulk

Fluery-TVR

Mrazek-Reimer

I've opined similar to your points on the forwards and agree. I think that we will be stronger up front and as mentioned elsewhere, score more goals than last year. I am counting on Dzingel, Haula, Svech/Foegele bumping up, and Necas for 35 points. We also have a full year of Nino. I suspect he'll drop off his torrid pace of when he first arrived, but a full year of him vs Rask will still be more goals than the Rask-Nino split.

The D is a touch weaker. DeHaan is better than Fleury basically. However, I still have hopes that Fleury, or the unsigned McKeown, or maybe Forsling, are ready to help in the bottom pair. And Bean and Priskie will be hovering too.

Goaltending is a roll of the dice. Reimer has had good years before. Mrazek has had streaks that could be even better than last year. But neither is as consistent as McE was. If Reimer is the Reimer of last year, and Mrazek slides back? Don't want to even consider it. I think we'll get good Mrazek at least, and that should be good enough. There's always Ned and Forsling if we have to look deep.

When I take all of this together, I'm very optimistic for next year, even without J Williams (at least the start). I think the D will be fine. I think we will have enough up front too. IMO it will come down to what goaltending we get. If we get league average or better, we're in. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Fluery-TVR

rem, I love as usual the optimism, which I share, but just unsure of these 2 Dmen particularly with TvR coming off surgery as I'm just not sure how "rugged" he is? 

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, I love as usual the optimism, which I share, but just unsure of these 2 Dmen particularly with TvR coming off surgery as I'm just not sure how "rugged" he is? 

Well I did say that the D was weaker. But yes, I'm even wondering if he's not 100% if McKeown might come up at the start, though I don't think he's been signed yet. 

I'm of the general belief that the bottom pair can be hidden and unless they're just atrocious, being even a bit subpar there doesn't cost many wins. And I don't think TVR and even Fleury are that bad. Yes, Fleury gets protected ice time, but none the less, he was a plus 4, which was mid pack on the team. Yes, a lot goes into plus minus, but last year at least, it did not lead to more goals against when Fleury was on the ice. TVR was -4. 

My own GM strategy is that in the long run you need to save money on the bottom pair getting the most bang for relatively little buck. At the moment we have about $3 million tied up in TVR and Fleury combined. Seems pretty good. Of course if we need cap space, Forsling or presumably McKeown would save us another $1.4 million if we moved TVR. And with Priskie in the wings too...

Anyways, I think the drop off is from DeHaan to Fleury and how big of a drop is still not certain until we see Fleury this year, but it would be somewhat of a drop-off most likely.

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Oh no, I got owned! :o  Seriously, thanks for the chuckle. :grin:

There are a lot of people who'll believe you if you tell the same lie often enough.  I'm not one of them.  :tsktsk:

Lake I get it.  It's a struggle every day to be the most liked and most knowledgeable poster on these boards.  Trust me when I say that it is a struggle everyday for me knowing that others think so highly of myself.

Here's to hoping for a great and successful 2019-2020 season.

I see the scoring moving up, and above average for the league this season, and yes, also an improved defense.  Our top-4 plays huge minutes and have a year under their belt.  Our depth for the bottom pairing is deep.

Can't say much about goal tending, but it just feels good to have Petr back.  That kid we drafted this year is starting in the KHL so far due to an injury.  Seems to me we are going to hit the dartboard on a young goalie sooner or later.

The Canes are in good hands as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I see the scoring moving up, and above average for the league this season, and yes, also an improved defense.  Our top-4 plays huge minutes and have a year under their belt.  Our depth for the bottom pairing is deep.

Can't say much about goal tending, but it just feels good to have Petr back.  That kid we drafted this year is starting in the KHL so far due to an injury.  Seems to me we are going to hit the dartboard on a young goalie sooner or later.

The Canes are in good hands as far as I'm concerned.

I think we are 2 years out from seeing him.  The goalie that is.  I think playing in the KHL as a goalie is better than the AHL in terms of development. 

At least a year.  Everything I've read suggests he is available for North America next season.  Anyway, Ned has won everywhere he's gone, so I am looking forward to see him get more of  a shot this season.  His size and technique just say no, but don't tell him that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Lake I get it.  It's a struggle every day to be the most liked and most knowledgeable poster on these boards.  Trust me when I say that it is a struggle everyday for me knowing that others think so highly of myself.

Typical you-know-what behavior. Insult, pull back.

I hope someday those empowered to do something about it will see it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

We all have our crosses to bear, lol.  But I'm sure that by now you're well used to dealing with the responses you arouse.

Kochetkov has a .963 save percentage this year in the KHL! OK, it was only one game, but might as well start strong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

It's a struggle every day to be the most liked and most knowledgeable poster on these boards.  Trust me when I say that it is a struggle everyday for me knowing that others think so highly of myself.

Mega dittos...   LOL

On 9/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

The Dude returns.

I thought The Dude abides.

• Like 2

Well, since there's a lot of long winded talk on this board, and we're not into the brevity thing, I'm glad El Duderino is back!

• Like 1