The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

40 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

He is not our head case anymore but i find it interesting that adam fox is playing on team usa in the iihf .   Was he really that  good ? 

Must be, Canes have a hard time letting go of him.  If you go to the Canes web page to the "Team" "In the system" roster, as of this afternoon, it still shows Adam Fox listed with the Canes.  When you click his name, it shows his affiliation as the Rangers, but someone hasn't updated the Canes prospect roster yet... 😉

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

Is it the same shoulder for Calvin as last season?

I'm not sure. I don't know what shoulder he injured last season.  This year the injury is to the right shoulder

Calvin de Haan had surgery on his right shoulder. He will be out four to six months.

Ain’t no doubt he wants Justin back.  When Rod wants something I am willing to bet he is hard to throw off the scent so to speak.

1 minute ago, cc said:

Ain’t no doubt he wants Justin back.  When Rod wants something I am willing to bet he is hard to throw off the scent so to speak.

Williams is coming back .  Im sure of it after the exit interviews .   He only brought up the whole idea of talking to his wife  to show he is a family man first and foremost  but I bet that he knows already he will be coming  back .   At this late stage in his Career  going somewhere else is not an option and even if it came down to it he would rather retire than not be  playing for the canes next season . Now after that season 2019 -2020 season  then he might retire .   Im 38  and it's a drag  just to get out of bed .   The real question is  when he has his last season next year with the canes , What other options are there for him  for future employment  for the Canes ?  My only best guess is either Assistant Coach or Assistant  gm  under the wing of  Don Waddell .  I prefer the later for Justins  case  on being an  assistant gm .  

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Canes have released audio  and video of the Waddell/Brindy end of season  AUDIO of Press Conference

I liked a lot of what I heard. Some bullet points:

--"We have to get better" RB. There is still a talent gap with the top teams. The guys in the room will get better. (described how Aho and Slavin, while so good, can hit another level, and how Svech just grew and grew through the season and into the playoffs). Rod mentioned that Waddell could get them some more talent, then sort of back tracked to the current roster getting it done. BUT....

--Waddell, representing the committee sure sounded like they plan to make moves. Dundon doesn't really have a budget, just wants to get guys who can help the team. "Going to look at everything." Even admitted they have considered using an offer sheet. Even mentioned they might get a D man if he could help (read PP QB IMO).

--Definitely sounds like we plan on trying to get the goalie band back together with Ned backing things up from Charlotte.

--Rod admitted that all that gutting it out to get in and 7 games vs Washington sucked the life out of the team. He was surprised we swept NYI, but said the talent gap was too big with Boston, especially on special teams, which points out that we have to "keep moving up" getting better. Also added that this same team in 4-5 years would have looked much different vs more mature Boston. 

--Ferland will not be back. They did not say that. But basically Rod did. Asked if they needed the type of game Ferland brought he said, we do need that "type" of game (he emphasized type). He then said Michael missed a lot of game in the stretch and in the playoffs and we did not miss a beat. Brind'Amour almost always adds a strong complement to players, even if he calls them out. Not really here. Ferland is out IMO, mark it down. 

I came away very excited. I do not think that Dundon is going to sit back in Fransician fashion and watch things develop. I expect a move or two of substance. 

--Main things to fix: skill level and PP. 

Given what the canes had done  just to make it to the playoffs and go through the caps and isles   drained the team   completely , they were living off of fumes  and  how they managed just that  with this being Brindys first year as a rookie coach ?  if there was a calder for rookie coaches id be surprised to see anyone surpass what rod was able to accomplish .  The Canes future is bright as the sun !

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sounds nice but we heard the we’ll spend money for the right player from PK too.

We'll have to see. But Dundon added DeHaan without really having to, and upped the payroll w Nino vs Rask. Then again the impression was they didn't want to pay Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin. I guess we'll have to see if it was cheap, or not paying those particular guys what they wanted. 

I'm going optimist. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

--Ferland will not be back. They did not say that. But basically Rod did. Asked if they needed the type of game Ferland brought he said, we do need that "type" of game (he emphasized type). He then said Michael missed a lot of game in the stretch and in the playoffs and we did not miss a beat. Brind'Amour almost always adds a strong complement to players, even if he calls them out. Not really here. Ferland is out IMO, mark it down. 

I read the same thing...Ferls can want to stay all he wants, but if the managerial staff thinks they can go get someone better (physicality + scoring), then no hard feelings, best of luck to ya (or sign for a hometown discount).

Nhl Network was talking about the canes and they mentioned Aho  possibly low as 6  or  getting 8  .  I know the canes and Aho plan  on staying long term .   how do you guys figure into this ? 

6 is too cheap...and would send a signal to others that we go low 

18 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

6 is too cheap...and would send a signal to others that we go low 

I thought that also .   I figured  given his production and to learn a new position and do well  in it  8 or possibly 9 would be reasonable  anything more than that  you hope the canes are getting what they are potentially paying for ! 

I was listening to the CanesCast podcast and they made a good point. We need a top 6 forward but they HAVE TO FIT BAs STYLE. We traded a 30-40 goal scored like Skinner bc he wasnt in the BA mold.  As a result to get the player we need, we are limited. IMO we may have to overpay to get them either via trade or free agency. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'll have to listen back, but i thought he said Ferland missed a lot of games and he didn't miss a beat, so i took it differently.  Not listening back right now, though... watching the Chex game.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I’m 38 and it's a drag  just to get out of bed .

Ha ha I hear that and raise you 20........ years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

I was listening to the CanesCast podcast and they made a good point. We need a top 6 forward but they HAVE TO FIT BAs STYLE. We traded a 30-40 goal scored like Skinner bc he wasnt in the BA mold.  As a result to get the player we need, we are limited. IMO we may have to overpay to get them either via trade or free agency. Just a thought. 

I think it has to be a Pavelski or Karlsson.

Pavelski is a pipe dream but Karlsson plays a very solid 2 way game and can score.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sounds nice but we heard the we’ll spend money for the right player from PK too.

I miss your point. They are not the same person.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'm going optimist

I’m with ya.

1 minute ago, cc said:

I miss your point. They are not the same person.

Point being, I hope we see it because we’ve heard this narrative before.

Management has made plenty of moves but the salary is close to last season.  Are we gonna see a jump to improve the roster not just maintain.

I think Ferland set a tone for the physicality we are looking for. But I suspect what he left on the table before the trade deadline was more than the team would offer now ($ and term) given the late season swoon in goal scoring and the amount of time missed with injuries. The physicality part can be had cheaper than what Ferland wants. The goal scoring dried up when separated from Aho and Turbo. I think he tests the waters if for no other reason than the Canes are now willing to pay less than what he turned down at the deadline. I suspect others saw the same thing and he may be in for a rude awakening come July 1st. I wish him well, but space needs to be made for more highly skilled players we may pursue, plus I really think Rod wants spots that some of the Checkers can compete for and earn in the fall. Foegle is an example of a player that came in and earned his spot in camp this year. We need to have at least one or two available spots for our Checkers to compete for. And hopefully by trade or UFA signing we bring in another goal scorer/offensive high end forward who will need a spot.

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Point being, I hope we see it because we’ve heard this narrative before.

Management has made plenty of moves but the salary is close to last season.  Are we gonna see a jump to improve the roster not just maintain.

What's changed (beyond ownership) is that we have a ton of young talent that we actually want to keep. And though TT's new deal didn't show in this season's salary, between him and Aho alone we'll add $12 million. McGinn is an RFA. Ned is an RFA. Do we pay Mraz? Make a play for Bob? What about Mac? And all of this before we even think about adding a power forward, whether via trade or FA--which we might. But we could also decide that Nino is that guy, because he arguably is. Plus he's buttoned down for three more years, two of which are the last of Svech's and Goat's ELCs.  

Foegele, Wallmark, and Roy all have a year left on their ELC's. McKeown is an RFA. Lots of guys we need to pay (or, in the latter two cases, decide if we want to).

The gauntlet our young roster guys just went through is going to make this a completely different team coming out of the blocks next year, in a good way. Whether we add a top-sixer or not this summer, this is a team that should contend for the division all season long and go deep again next spring.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

What's changed (beyond ownership) is that we have a ton of young talent that we actually want to keep. And though TT's new deal didn't show in this season's salary, between him and Aho alone we'll add $12 million. McGinn is an RFA. Ned is an RFA. Do we pay Mraz? Make a play for Bob? What about Mac? And all of this before we even think about adding a power forward, whether via trade or FA--which we might. But we could also decide that Nino is that guy, because he arguably is. Plus he's buttoned down for three more years, two of which are the last of Svech's and Goat's ELCs.  

Foegele, Wallmark, and Roy all have a year left on their ELC's. McKeown is an RFA. Lots of guys we need to pay (or, in the latter two cases, decide if we want to).

The gauntlet our young roster guys just went through is going to make this a completely different team coming out of the blocks next year, in a good way. Whether we add a top-sixer or not this summer, this is a team that should contend for the division all season long and go deep again next spring.  

I agree 100% with your statement.  RBA and most observers have said that this team doesnt have the skill to match cup contenders.  Although our young guys will get better, do we actually see money paid to add skill?  Its something we have heard we would do for the right person for about 10 years.  Also something we havent seen outside of an gross over payment for a Russian who will go unnamed for two more years. 

we'll just have to wait and see

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

this is a team that should contend for the division all season long and go deep again next spring.  

All in line with Roddy's interview of "Getting Better".  And the bar is now set at at higher level to start.  I was pretty excited after attending the draft party lat year.  This year will be off the charts.

• Like 1