The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Helvig will be fine. He's risen to the occasion at every stage of his development, and as his development continues the hill just gets steeper.

Everybody has bad games. Assessing potential career performance based on one game is pointless.

Id agree with you if  Helvig  only gave up   maybe 4  goals .  But to give up 10 goals  in a meaningless prospect showing ???   it's not like anything was on the line like impressing the scouts or   coaches , lol     If that is an example of a bad game for him  i wonder what a good game would look like LMAO !!! 

57 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Everybody has bad games. Assessing potential career performance based on one game is pointless.

Absolutely. 

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Id agree with you if  Helvig  only gave up   maybe 4  goals .  But to give up 10 goals  in a meaningless prospect showing ???   it's not like anything was on the line like impressing the scouts or   coaches , lol     If that is an example of a bad game for him  i wonder what a good game would look like LMAO !!! 

How about three good seasons (see below)? Kid turned 22 a few months ago and has one pro year under his belt, for crying out loud. Keepers are seldom close before they're 25. (Ned turns 24 in January).

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Did you even see the game or are you going just off the score?  Anyway, it doesn't matter, because like you said, it's you trying to make it something more than it was, at least from the goalie.

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Did you even see the game or are you going just off the score?  Anyway, it doesn't matter, because like you said, it's you trying to make it something more than it was, at least from the goalie.

Of course i saw the  game .   and the shots that helvig  got scored on were very weak .    i wonder if you  even saw the game  because   you come off as if  you were not paying attention to any detail  to any of the goals  that Helvig let in .   Comparing Harvey to Helvig is almost night and day difference   .  But for Helvig there just is not an excuse given the matter .   and  i guess you dont catch up on sarcasm     .  When i said it's not like it matters   i was being sarcastic  .  The scouts and coaches do  take notice and I hardly doubt they will be looking at Helvig as and option  , Not like there was one to begin with .   Harvey on the other hand   , him being an invitee    i liked what i saw somewhat , Except for when  the lightning went on the power play .   But Harvey shown me  that  he is more capable  of  helping out  may it be an echl  or ahl job in the future  .   In the end  I like to see our prospects be able to  elevate their talent and get to that next level   but it's hard for them to do that  when they have someone  they are working with  let them down .  Momentum is a big time  thing  in sports  and when that momentum is  getting destroyed   it's hard for  coaches or scouts to get a better idea or look of the over all picture  when judging talent .    This Showcase in a lack for a better amount of words is kinda like a job resume for future employment   . And i hate to see a guy who worked his butt off  get overlooked because one guy decided to let the poop hit the fan . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Okay so you saw the game and didn't mention the fact we have 11 camp invitees in the lineup.  Instead, you decided to focus your rant attention on Helvig.  Aside from the first two Helvig gave up, which I agree were terrible, the outcome was really determined by how totally out-classed our lineup was compared to Washington.

Two words to start - Kaleb Bulych.  That was the worst showing from a camp invitee I have ever witnessed. 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Amen to that top!!

On another note, Rutherford must be hitting the CBD too often again, as he is said to have commented that with the team makeovers to date, that this team currently RESEMBLES the one that won the Cup in 2016. I'd answer that by saying "resembles"is a stretch, and only because Crosby and Malkin remain does it resemble?

I’m calling it now...Evil Empire misses the playoffs this season

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Amen to that top!!

On another note, Rutherford must be hitting the CBD too often again, as he is said to have commented that with the team makeovers to date, that this team currently RESEMBLES the one that won the Cup in 2016. I'd answer that by saying "resembles"is a stretch, and only because Crosby and Malkin remain does it resemble?

Yeah, that addition of Brandon Tanev put them over the top. Mwhahaha.

I see Velluci, in addition to being its coach, has added GM of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to his resume. All he needs now is the patented Rutherford NMC.

• Like 1

Just saw that OBXer and its a little sad, as I always liked Saku. But those are the hard choices we thankfully have to make now?

36 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just saw that OBXer and its a little sad, as I always liked Saku. But those are the hard choices we thankfully have to make now?

Kind of the same thing as not re-signing McKegg, who I liked even a little bit more than Saku.  But yeah, nice to finally be facing "good franchise" problems.

• Like 1

A few quotes I pulled from my nhl trade rumors:

Pierre LeBrun: There are teams that are showing interest in Faulk that do not require him to waive his no-trade clause.

Source confirm that the proposed trade offer between the Ducks and Hurricanes would involve Ondrej Kase going to the Hurricanes.

Chris Johnston said on Sportsnet 960 on Tuesday that Justin Faulk will likely be traded even if he doesn’t waive it for Anaheim. There are other teams that are interested.

When I look at the backlog of lower priced D men that also need to show something at the NHL level, combined with the unlikeliness of us signing Faulk to an extension, the open shopping we keep doing of him, and the apparent interest from teams, including ones he can't block, it just seems like something has to happen on this.

Well here’s hoping it doesn’t drag on through training camp...that’ll hurt both sides 

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Man.  Hockey needs to start.   The Panthere are horrible.  Cringe worthy to watch.

I had a feeling even before the nfl draft that if things didnt change at the management  for the panthers that it would be a bad season , and now looking back i was right to trust my gut .   What does my Gut says about the Hurricanes ? That  it's going to be a bumpy ride at first but eventually once that leadership on the team kicks in  then things are going to pan out well   going forward for the team .  It all depends on  Brind'Amour dangling that Carrot  in front of the rabbits to draw their attention or  if they are going to be distracted and not do anything .   Right now it looks like Distraction is on the menu . AkA Faulk .  and Brindy  needs everyone on the same page .    How long will that be ? Who  knows  , maybe a day  , a week , a month or all season long . 

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

It all depends on  Brind'Amour dangling that Carrot  in front of the rabbits to draw their attention or  if they are going to be distracted and not do anything .   Right now it looks like Distraction is on the menu . AkA Faulk .  and Brindy  needs everyone on the same page .    How long will that be ? Who  knows  , maybe a day  , a week , a month or all season long . 

The committee has been very anti Francisian in that it acts. So I fully expect this Faulk thing to get done if any teams he can't block come knocking, or if Anaheim ponies up the deal. 

Interesting analogy about the carrot though, since this team is definitely the rabbit not the turtle. 

I think the team comes out strong. But my eyes are focused between the pipes. If Mrazek and to a lesser extent Reimer are strong? Fast start. I would point out that the first half of the year is the harder schedule. the first month is full of playoff teams a West coast trip and a long layoff. November is balanced, and December is mostly on the road. 

So if this team is above the cutline by the traditional American Thanksgiving, the schedule lays out well after that. I think we will be.

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

The committee has been very anti Francisian in that it acts. So I fully expect this Faulk thing to get done if any teams he can't block come knocking, or if Anaheim ponies up the deal. 

Interesting analogy about the carrot though, since this team is definitely the rabbit not the turtle. 

I think the team comes out strong. But my eyes are focused between the pipes. If Mrazek and to a lesser extent Reimer are strong? Fast start. I would point out that the first half of the year is the harder schedule. the first month is full of playoff teams a West coast trip and a long layoff. November is balanced, and December is mostly on the road. 

So if this team is above the cutline by the traditional American Thanksgiving, the schedule lays out well after that. I think we will be.

In march it will be a grind with a ton of day off day on  games and some back to backs .   It could be a Nail biter  .   As you stated   with our schedule   it's going to be a toughie .   Nothing is ever easy for this team  and  rightfully so .  All the additions  the canes picked up going forward  is either  another St.Louis  scenario  like last year or  more of something else .  Goalies aside  im not sold on Reimer  ,  I think it has to be  Nedeljkovic  with Mrazek at the end of the day  or it's going to be a bust .   The distraction of Faulk is also something to consider  .   What i see  for this team is that big question .  Leadership for the canes .   One of the reasons why i made that poll about  who should be the canes  captain  on these forums is all about  who is going to step up and man the ship .  Every ship needs a Good captain that will lead them across that great blue  and in hockey it is no different .  It tends to go a long ways . 

What The Canes ultimately need  aside from  Good goal tending and not being distracted is A Captain .   Every team that wins big   has a Captain that can get them to the promise land and win Big  .  I dont think anyone could  Show me a team that has won the cup without a great leader  .    Which brings the question  back to williams .  When Justin came back to carolina   what he wanted was to be treated just like one of the guys  and thats all ,  He wasnt  looking to be the Captain of the hurricanes or anything ,  Then last year happened  and well  Williams  took the responsibility like a responsible man  and wore the C  out of respect for his friend Brind'Amour ,  and people wonder why Williams does not want to play the season ?  Could it be that maybe he didnt want to be named captain ?   and coming back  another year would still place him in that role  ?  That's what i've been thinking lately .    And we tend to see that those who are leaders or captains in this case  often are the best choice ones who dont want that power or extra baggage  because they show truly what it actually means to be  a leader .    Im not arguing that Williams should of never been named captain or anything .  Im simply stating  maybe  he didnt want it   and is hoping the canes will name someone else for that role to Take that mantle  .   And  for as long as that mantel remains vacant   i think the Canes direction will be aimless .   Thats what my gut instinct is telling me  right now .  Who's in net ? does not matter  , Who's on defense  ? Does not matter , Who made the roster ?  does not matter  ,   Who will be the New  Captain ? Does matter .   

Interesting thought that Williams may not have wanted to be Captain. I don't think that's it, but it's always interesting to take a new look at things. I think he may not have wanted to come in and be named Captain walking into the new room in year one, but he sure seemed to own it last year. That said, he was weighed down at the end of the year, and maybe being Captain was an extra burden. If he were to want to come back but not as Captain, one good way to do it would be to do what he is doing, let someone else get it, then come back as one of the guys. I'm not buying it, but it would be a way to get a little more time off, then come back in a less demanding role. 

Brind'Amour played it both ways in his interview just recently. The team is moving on, but the door is open, basically. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Interesting thought that Williams may not have wanted to be Captain.

Where are you reading this stuff?  Am I going to have to get on Twitter and Instagram?

Maybe I should just drop out.

- Old Man wxray

I may have misread things but from my outsider's perspective, i got the impression Williams was disappointed not to be named Captain in his first season back.  I definitely don't think being named Captain this past season was a negative he wanted to get away from.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Where are you reading this stuff?  Am I going to have to get on Twitter and Instagram?

Maybe I should just drop out.

- Old Man wxray

No. I was just engaging CFF who seemed to be speculating that. This is pure speculation land, and out there a bit.

19 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

11 M a year for Marner plus a 61M upfront payout.  This is a crippling contract.   I'm not sure he is worth 11M.  

If they paid Marner $61 million up front that is crazy. Part of the new collective bargaining agreement needs to be some limit on how much of a contract can be front end loaded. Salary cap or no, only a handful of teams could front load contracts to that degree. Definitely big market/original six teams circumventing the spirit of the cap which is to have a level playing field.

• Like 2